View Thread : For the Trek nerds here...

OB1
Any of you planning on watching the new season of 'Enterprise'? The first season was a big letdown but there were a handful of good episodes last season and I am intrigued by the new (albeit unoriginal) direction for season 3. I admit that I'm a big Trek geek so I'll probably watch most of the season unless it gets really bad, but I do hope that it gets better. There's so much potential...

Dark Jaguar
You know, for the longest time I was under the impression that the series took place before the invention of the transporter, but then I saw an episode where they showed them off and I realized they just hadn't bothered using the transporter very much in the series. Maybe I'll actually watch some more of it. You're right, some of it is pretty nice.

OB1
The series takes place before the original Trek series and right when the transporter was invented. The reason why it's not used very often is because most people are scared to use something that scatters around all of their molecules.

A Black Falcon
I'll watch... even if it does get bad. In which case I'll watch just some episodes. When does the new season start? Today?

OB1
A week from today.

Weltall
There was once a time where I lived, breathed and dreamed Star Trek.

However, I've not yet watched so much as a single "Enterprise" episode.

Thank you Voyager for fucking up Star Trek so badly that I don't care anymore.

A Black Falcon
I'll watch then. It can't get worse, right? It's already the worst Trek ever...

OB1
Hey I know how you feel, Ryan. Voyager was a horrendous show. Enterprise isn't that great, but it's still better than crappy Voyager. While Voyager was just a show that never really had any potential in the first place, Enterprise has tons of potential. Even though it really hasn't been that great so far aside from a handful of episodes...

A Black Falcon
All I will say is that I liked Voyager a lot... its been my favorite Trek for years. Now more recently as I finally got a chance to see DS9 I'm not sure if its still my favorite, as DS9 is REALLY good, but its still one of the best... and a million times better than Enterprise.

Though, Enterprise isn't that bad, actually... many of its episodes are fine. But they just have the occasional incredibly stupid one, and I still hate Archer and find him incredibly annoying...

No one on Voyager annoyed me a tenth as much as either Archer or T'Pol...

OB1
Now that's just crazy talk. There wasn't one single character in Voyager aside from Chakotay who wasn't incredibly annoying.

EdenMaster
I like the Original Series.

I like The Next Generation

I like Deep Space Nine.

I like Voyager.

I cannot stand Enterprise.

Weltall
Voyager was stupid because while it was based on a single premise, at least 80% of the episodes had nothing to do with that premise. And the premise was as such that you KNEW the matter would be resolved after seven years (being that seven years is the normal lifespan of a ST show).

DS9 was really fun, but I lost interest after the Dominion War. Can't really explain why. I just didn't care anymore.

Nothing beats the first two. They didn't have a specific mission. They just went places and did stuff.

A Black Falcon
Chakotay? But he's one of the more annoying people on the show...

Oh, and the Dominion War is when DS9 starts to get really good! Its that that might push it past Voyager... before that it was good, but not as great as it got.

As for Voyager's mission... so you knew it'd be resolved. So? The show was basically more of the TNG-style stuff, so why is it so bad that it didn't stick to a cohesive plot like DS9 did?

OB1
Voyager was a poor man's TNG. They just tried to do what TNG did but with a far worse cast and terrible writing. At least Enterprise is trying to do something different.

A Black Falcon
But the Voyager cast is great... well, most of them. I at least thought it was a good cast. As for the writing... it was mostly good. Not every episode, but enough...

Enterprise... has problems, from top to bottom. Too many bad actors (as I said, Archer and T'Pol annoy me so much... unlike anyone on Voyager, the worst of which is just mildly irritating...), bad writing, messed up setting, unimaginitive script, etc... just so many issues. I really hope that they can fix them... it DOES have some promise, I guess.

A Black Falcon
But the Voyager cast is great... well, most of them. I at least thought it was a good cast. As for the writing... it was mostly good. Not every episode, but enough...

Enterprise... has problems, from top to bottom. Too many bad actors (as I said, Archer and T'Pol annoy me so much... unlike anyone on Voyager, the worst of which is just mildly irritating...), bad writing, messed up setting, unimaginitive script, etc... just so many issues. I really hope that they can fix them... it DOES have some promise, I guess. Though tossing Archer out an airlock without a spacesuit and giving T'Pol lessons on how to act like a Vulcan and not like a human pretending to be Vulcan would be nice...

OB1
You actually like the Voyager cast??

:nono: *tsk tsk tsk*

A Black Falcon
Yes, I thought that they were pretty good, overall.

Great Rumbler
I sort of liked Voyager, it was the first Star Trek series that I really watched on a regular basis. Also, the crew wasn't THAT bad, but it just can't compete with the likes of Data, Ricker, Picard, ect.

OB1
I couldn't stand the crew. They were so damn annoying.

A Black Falcon
No they weren't! I don't see why everyone hated that crew... I liked them. Sure, a few of them (such as Neelix) got annoying once in a while, but it wasn't that bad...

Oh, and it was the first series I watched a lot of. It wasn't the first Trek I'd seen (before starting on Voyager I'd seen the first seven movies, a few eps of TNG, and a very small number of eps of TOS... but it was the first series I watched a lot of. And it was good! Did it match up to the TOS crew in those six movies? Not sure, movies vs show is a big difference... maybe not. But it was a perfectly good crew...

Oh, and before Archer I'd never seen a Trek major character that I actually couldn't stand...

OB1
How could you stand those people?? It was as if their goal in life was to be as annoying as possible. I seriously wanted the whole crew to die at the end of the series.

Tess was the most annoying of them all. Just thinking about her makes me shudder.

A Black Falcon
Tess? Who?

Oh, and I just didn't see them as annoying. Well, maybe Neelix once in a while, but other than that... not really. I liked most of the cast, actually.

OB1
That's because you're insane! :shakeit:

I meant Kes. Or Kess. Whatever. That annoying blonde alien! Hot damn was she annoying!

A Black Falcon
I thought Kes was good! I was really annoyed that they got rid of her after the third season...

OB1
:eek2:

Moiraine
Originally posted by Weltall
There was once a time where I lived, breathed and dreamed Star Trek.[

God I remember those days... When you would sit around and play with the tiny model airships.... :bounce:

alien space marine
after season 4 voyager rotted and milked every last onze of freshness out of startrek. If Voyager never existed the borg would still be a more interesting plot device as voyager had no real good plot devices so they milked it so bad the word borg became bore in most peoples minds.Voyager writers never tried to lay off the borg to save it for future series to keep it fresh and unsaturated instead they had a borg in each episode seven of nine to repeatedly spam borg techibable and flash her boobs.

Voyager had some of the best episodes of all trek but it doesnt make up for the shitload of crap that floated beside the few 3-4 gems each season.to many time travel and holodeck episodes.

the episode "void" was better then End shame (end game) on the last season which is pretty bad as final series episodes are usually the best as the writers dont hold back, but from what I saw of voyager there was nothing left to give so they scavenged and recycled crap.

First of all the worse episodes ever were on voyager and maybe one ds9 exception.fair haven and the fight are the worse episodes in all trek and those crappy holodeck episodes they spamed sucked , TNG horded all the good holo episodes with exceptions of 1-2 while voyager had only one good holodeck based episode and then 10 crapfest ones spamed after.

those who skiped voyager didnt miss much , there is only 10% goodness in every season.

As for enterpise I will check this season for sure as usally the first 2 seasons of all the treks sucked even TNG was pretty bad untill season 3-4.

Enterprise first season was shaky as the writers clearly were not in gear for the newseries plot,2 episodes with the same hologram plots we would see in voyager in a series based in the past were holograms didnt get invented untill 200 years later.

list of good enterpise episodes from season 1.
1.shuttlepod1 (halirious)
2.unexpected
3.broken bow
4.broken bow part 2.
5.Andorian incident
6.shockwave
7.sleeping dogs

unexpected is the best trek orginality in this series which brings back some fun from TOS.

a human male starfleet cheif gets pregnant , after unknowingly having sex with a alien which he thought was just playing a board game with him .

A Black Falcon
Endgame was good, until they left the ending hanging... it would have been great if they'd just finished it!

And Enterprise at its best isn't very good, I have to say. Sure, its decent at times, but its just got so, so many problems... Voyager is much better. As are all of the other Treks. Sure, I liked some eps, but there are so many bad ones! Way more than any of the shows before it...

OB1
Oh come on, even at its worst Enterprise is still better than Voyager ever was. And when Enterprise has been good, it's been good. The Vulcan mind meld episode was good, and brought back the social commentary aspect from the original series.

A Black Falcon
Missed that one... I haven't seen all of the second season. I know I could have, but it just doesn't seem worth the time... and at its worst Enterprise is far, far worse than Voyager, no question about that.

Oh, I missed the mind-meld sickness episode.

As I've said before... in its second season Enterprise clealry improved. The first season was so, so, bad though, that it'd be quite hard to be worse... but it IS improving. That's why I don't want it cancelled or anything... but it just got out to such a bad start that it'll take a while for me to even begin to think of it as anything other than the worst Trek series yet.

I know I've heard people liked the first episode... I didn't really like it. As I've said many times Archer drove me insane from within minuites of coming onto the screen... he's managed to improve somewhat but he still gets insufferably annoying far too often...

OB1
You're just really weird. Almost every single Trek fan out there despises Voyager. Voyager is the reason why the Trek fanbase has dwindled so much.

A Black Falcon
Most? Not so sure... but yes, a lot do. But its not like there aren't Voyager fans, you know...

OB1
Okay, let's just say that you like crappy Voyager, I don't, and leave it at that.

A Black Falcon
That you hate some Voyager actors as much as I do Archer? Okay... :)

alien space marine
alot of the voyager actors direct Enterprise,Roxan dawson AKA B'lona Torries, Tom paris actor also did a episode.

But I guess we cant hate actors for having poor scripts can we?

Atleast Enterpise has got an old xfiles writer on board now , he made minefeild the one with Malcolm Reed stuck off the hull of the ship with a one ton bomb right next too him.

OB1
That was a pretty good ep.

And don't forget to watch the season premiere this wednesday, folks!

A Black Falcon
Yeah, that was one of the better ones... and yes, I'll watch! Don't know if anyone else will, though.

OB1
If you build it, they will come...

A Black Falcon
Field of Dreams is stupid. Yes, I know its a baseball movie... but I think I got halfway through when I quit watching it because its so dumb...

OB1
That's because you're a soulless automaton whose innocence and optimism were brutally raped and murdered by hatred and cynicism at a very young age.

I feel sorry for you, bubba.

A Black Falcon
Nothing's wrong with cynicism... and I wouldn't say that I hate a lot of things.

That's just a highly overrated movie!

OB1
Suuuure. :rolleyes:

A Black Falcon
But the whole premise of the movie is just so lame...

OB1
Did you even finish it?

A Black Falcon
No.

OB1
:rolleyes: Oh brother...

A Black Falcon
Why in the world should I watch all of a movie I dislike? That would be stupid...

OB1
You missed the best part!

Weltall
Originally posted by OB1
That's because you're a soulless automaton whose innocence and optimism were brutally raped and murdered by hatred and cynicism at a very young age.

I feel sorry for you, bubba.

I have to disagree. He's a liberal. Their entire ideology is based on blind optimism.

A Black Falcon
But I'd say I'm a pessimist...

alien space marine
No he is a evil liberal Commie!

quickly through decaying dead chickens at him!
:D

I dont concider myself a liberal or Conservative just a individual with his own unique set of values.

A Black Falcon
You seem mostly conservative to me...

Darunia
I don't like the benevolent, soft-belly theme of the Enterprise series. The best classic Trek episodes were when Kirk kicked ass, or did some very impolite thing (like when he beamed all the tribbles to the Klingon ship right before jumping to warp at the end of the Trouble w/ Tribbles!!) Nowadays, they're all into lame PC shit..."let's try REASONING with the evil aliens instead of blowing them up!" Where's the logic in that.

A Black Falcon
Uhh... but Trek isn't about war! Or at least, not about pointless war... its supposed to be a GOOD future. Or did you miss TNG, Voyager, and DS9?