View Thread : Good news about Enterprise

OB1
They put the 'Star Trek' back in the title and, most importantly, they changed the theme song!! YAY!!!!!

I've also been reading some good reviews of the season premiere, so make sure you all watch it!

A Black Falcon
Yes! Two badly needed changes... the theme song is so awful! They need to change it before we start to sort of get used to it... :)

Dark Lord Neo
Thank god
It just wasn't Star Trek without the Star Trek in the title
It also needed a new theme

OB1
I have some bad news. Apparently the new song is even worse than the old one, but I suppose I should reserve judgement until I watch it tonight.

Don't forget to watch it, people!

A Black Falcon
Worse? Its humanly possible?

OB1
It's actually the same song but shortened and with a different singer, I think.

A Black Falcon
Oh, great... why can't they take a hint and get rid of the vocals?

OB1
Because Rick Berman and Brannon Braga hate the fans.

A Black Falcon
Well yeah, that is very clear...

OB1
Specifically you and me. They're really out to get us.

OB1
From Trekweb.com:

Producer/co-creator Brannon Braga is on the horn again today, in new interviews with several newspapers around the country. Speaking with the Baltimore Sun, Braga reiterates remarks made all summer long that putting Earth in jeopardy--like STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME--should lead to success.

"We're making very dramatic, and hopefully, effective changes to the show because they are creatively stimulating and because we're trying, of course we're trying, to generate viewer interest," Braga told the Sun. "A lot of people are like, 'Are you doing this because of the ratings?' Well yeah! What television show in the history of television doesn't try to get better ratings?"

The director of the cited top-grossing TREK pic, Leonard Nimoy told the Sun he's not sure if the formula is so simple.

"It just doesn't seem to me to start out on a premise that if Earth is in trouble we'll have a success," Nimoy says. "I just don't get it. We had an enormous number of wonderful episodes in the original classic series where Earth was not in danger. I thought the episodes worked very well."

Braga continues with the Salt Lake Tribune: "The challenge we face is ourselves. But, you know, it doesn't mean that we're not still having fun and feeling very creative about the show. And we believe very strongly that 'Star Trek' is still a very viable franchise."

I'm with Nimoy on this one. The two guys in charge of Trek right now (especially Braga, the worse of the two) are complete morons who don't have a single creative bone in them. Their formula for getting better ratings for 'Enterprise'? Copy the whole "earth in trouble" part from Star Trek IV since that movie made a lot of money!

*sigh*

Seriously, I just don't understand how these two people have stayed in charge of Star Trek for so long. Star Trek is extremely unpopular nowadays and Paramount is doing a terrible job of managing the franchise. Until Paramount gets some new people to take over Trek I can't see it regaining its former glory. It's very depressing.

Dark Jaguar
They quoted The Sun? The SUN? It's a frickin' tabloid with no shame whatsoever!

OB1
This isn't new news, so the Sun didn't make it up. Braga's has been saying the very same thing for months now.

OB1
I just finished watching the season premiere, and it wasn't bad. It wasn't very entertaining but it was a good set-up for the new arc. Let's just hope that the show picks up speed soon. This new direction has a lot of potential, but whether or not it lives up to that potential is the big question mark.

Oh and the new title theme sucks! It's just the old theme but with some extra instruments in the background, which actually manages to make it worse than before. I agree with ign's opinion on the new theme:

Added to the music are some new flourishes that would only sound good to Billy Murray's old lounge singer character from Saturday Night Live. I half expected to see someone in a puffy shirt brandishing some maracas to come out and cha-cha to the theme. I screamed at my television screen as the "new" theme droned on in all of its Dolby surround sound glory. I think a little piece of me died as I listened to that music. I found myself wishing for the previous version. Or the original Trek theme on a kazoo, any freaking thing but this.

Especially that maracas part.

The new theme was supposed to reflect the more serious, urgent tone of the show, yet it's ten times cheerier than the previous theme.

Ugh.

A Black Falcon
Berman and Braga have made some great Trek episodes! Its just when they were given control of the franchise that they began to fall apart...

Oh, and it is truly amazing that they made the themesong worse. Didn't think it was possible...

And Berman's 'reasons' that it will improve in ratings are not likely.

Dark Jaguar
What's the crime in making a song hopeful? Just because things are all gloomy doesn't mean a hopeful song has no place. Hope ALWAYS exists in EVERY situation after all. Haven't heard the new song though, and won't for a while, as I will be gone during every single airing of this new season.

OB1
Shut up, DJ. You're so predictable.

There's nothing hopeful about the song. It's just really annoying.

A Black Falcon
Yeah, its just incredibly annoying, that's for sure...

OB1
Check it out for yourself! http://www.treknews.de/treknews/newspro-treknews/static/106319151128252.php

I just listened to it again and couldn't help but crack up. I think there's a tambourine in the background. A friggin' tambourine!

You'll either laugh or cry at it. Probably laugh and then cry.

Dark Jaguar

ugh...

*that wasn't to the song*

OB1
I wasn't being serious. I just don't like adding smilies at the end of my sentences.

Dark Jaguar
Hmm, hard to tell with you, unlike me, where there's NEVER been ANY question as to whether or not I was joking.

A Black Falcon
Riiight, DJ, of course... :rolleyes:

OB1
So did you listen to the new song yet, ABF?

A Black Falcon
Yes, I did... hmm, not sure. It might be a little bit better, but its still totally wrong for Star Trek... idiots...

OB1
Did you like the tambourines?

A Black Falcon
Hmm, the instruments... not sure. It probably was better without them...

Great Rumbler
Well, I listened to the theme and I thought that it was an okay song, but definitely not suited for a Star Trek theme song. Bring back instrumental music!!

A Black Falcon
Yeah... it is sort of an okay song, but Star Trek? It makes no sense at all... it just doesn't fit in any way.

alien space marine
the theme song was fine the way it was before, There was no need to turn into a country music video.

The premier episode was crap.

A Black Falcon
Not so good news about Enterprise.

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Television&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270355&obj_id=40707
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/4318.html

OB1
Well at least they didn't move it to fridays. Smallville and everything else was just beating the crap out of it in that timeslot. An hour later is no biggie.

A Black Falcon
True, moving it to Friday would be a death sentence and everyone would know it, but would getting rid of Berman really be a good move? I mean, he is pretty bad, but it depends if his replacement was someone good or if it was just a 'get rid of him and finish it off' thing...

OB1
Woah, they're getting rid of him (no I didn't click on those links)?? Berman and Bragga??? I just heard about the timeslot change!! This is terrific news!! You really can't go worse than Berman and Bragga.

A Black Falcon
Click the links. The first one for sure.

The second one says that Trek is going to Wed. 9pm at least for the rest of this season (starting at some point, not sure if its yet or not), BTW. You don't really need to click that one... it says that and then says that it might go back afterwards... we'll see...

And I'm not sure about Berman and Braga. This article just talks about Berman, not Braga.

... You won't will you, just TOO hard to click a link... oh poor you...

As we first reported last week, a scooper contacted us with what they claimed was inside information about the mood of the crew on the set of STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE. The UPN series, the fifth in the TREK franchise, has had a number of rumors circling it like dark clouds, some of which were confirmed and others dismissed by Paramount and ENTERPRISE brass.

After we ran our first scoop about ENTERPRISE, and after the weekend of the Television Press tour, the same person contacted us again with what they claimed was more inside information about the production. We will present what they told us with the caveat that the following report is unconfirmed and should be treated as gossip right now, for reasons that will become clear in a moment:

"It would seem the lackluster support of ENTERPRISE by Les Moonves and Dawn Ostroff at this weekend's UPN press junket has gotten the attention of Garry Hart, President of Paramount Television Productions. Quiet for some time regarding the dismal performance of his division's most important moneymaker, it has been rumored that Hart may be planning as early as March to make concessions to UPN to help keep ENTERPRISE on the air. From an insider in John Wentworth's office at Paramount Television's Marketing and Media Relations Department, a memo has been spotted suggesting Hart may be waiting until after ENTERPRISE's February sweeps performance to announce the possible replacement of some of the show's production staff, to possibly include longtime TREK Executive Producer Rick Berman. There is no word at this time of any possible replacements."

As you can see, the information our scooper sent to us is riveting but also extremely next to impossible to verify -- and that is why we are stressing that it should be taken as speculatory at this stage.

Hours before the annoucement of this week's shuffling of ENTERPRISE to its 9 PM timeslot (beginning in March), we were sent another message from the same scooper. Again, we present what they had to say to us as they sent it:

"The mood at ENTERPRISE, however, is mixed. Some fearing a dreaded Friday time slot are relieved the change is minor. Others, however, are less than optimistic considering the lead in shows of GAME OVER and THE MULLETS and think this may be a setup for disaster.

And as I reported earlier, the set is still awash with concern that within a month or two, there may be a new 'captain' in the Executive Producer's chair. There is concern that Rick Berman's future with the beloved TREK franchise may be coming to an end, making less certain than before the future of ENTERPRISE and a possible fourth season."

The reason we are choosing to now publish the scooper's two reports, even though we cannot confirm if this is truly the mood on the set of ENTERPRISE, is the mention of the timeslot change slightly ahead of the time the news broke online. Whether there are definitive plans for Paramount to remove producer Rick Berman from the STAR TREK franchise or a "memo" circulating in their offices remains unknown, but we still felt that it was necessary to print what was being told to us at this time. Fans reading this article are again stressed to keep this in mind; these are rumors right now and not known facts, and until our scooper chooses to show us hard proof of their claims or we discover another means to confirm what they are telling us, an open mind should be kept.

It may simply take time to determine if what we are being told is an accurate portrayal of events happening to ENTERPRISE or some individual crying wolf. With February around the corner and sweeps imminent, the final answer to these speculative questions should be known soon.

[Anonymous]

OB1
I'm also not going to read that news article you posted, just to spite you.

A Black Falcon
You need help.

Ryan
That's not a bad theme. It just completely doesn't belong as a Star Trek theme.

Anyway, far from the diehard Trekkie I used to be, I've still not seen a single Enterprise episode.

A Black Falcon
That's too bad, because it's definitely had some pretty good ones...

Darunia
I hope they do something. The show needs to be less of a soap opera and more of an adventure show. Classic Trek was great because it was gritty science fiction adventure; fantasy. Today's incarnation is a soap opera, with thin elements of science in there somewhere.

Ryan
I really started losing interest in the series when Next Gen was canceled. The series has been on a gradual downward spiral ever since, really because they ran out of ideas quite awhile back.

And my God, I can't believe it's been ten whole years since that happened. Incredible. :yipes: I'm getting old. :(

A Black Falcon
Erm, Next Generation ended, I'm pretty sure, and wasn't cancelled... the only Trek to be cancelled is the original. Next Generation, Voyager, and Deep Space Nine all finished their 7-year runs.

And anyway, Voyager and DS9 are great shows and Enterprise is becoming a good one...

Ryan
You know what I mean.

A Black Falcon
Ran out of ideas? Yeah, that is kind of true, Voyager and Enterprise really are doing similar stuff to TNG, but still, it's still good... well, mostly. The franchise definitely would be better off without Braga and Berman.

OB1
Voyager was horrendous, but we've only been over this a few thousand times already.

Enterprise has had some really solid episodes these past two seasons. Similitude was very good.

A Black Falcon
Enterprise is a copy of Voyager is a copy of The Next Generation, but with different crews...

OB1
No, Enterprise has tried some new things.

A Black Falcon
Every series does, but Enterprise has stuck pretty closely to the formula.

OB1
Not as much as Voyager did. Voyager did nothing original. It just took ideas from TNG, and if you were lucky they would expand upon those ideas (like 7 of 9).

A Black Falcon
If you say so, if you say so.

OB1
I know so.

A Black Falcon
I only won't say anything because we've been through this before and your saying otherwise doesn't make Voyager any less great.

OB1
Hey, you can enjoy crappy Voyager all you want to! Fine by me!

Ryan
It's like ABF likes everything that is evil and bad. Liberalism, The New England Patriots, Star Trek Voyager...

I say we kill him.

OB1
Agreed. Well, the Voyager part, anyway. :D

A Black Falcon
I like all the Trek serieses... and think that all of the movies are at least okay. Sure some aren't as good but none are truly terrible...

OB1
serieses?

Ryan
serieses?
"My team stole the Super Bowl, so I'll celebrate by making up words!"

A Black Falcon
more than one series, whatever you call that... :)

OB1
Haha, you guys really get into sports, don't you? Though I suppose it's no less dorky than arguing over video games...

A Black Falcon
Less. Sports are more popular.

OB1
Popularity does not make things less dorky.

A Black Falcon
True... but it matters somewhat... but sports aren't really seen as 'dorky'...

OB1
That's cause people are dumb.

A Black Falcon
Well, yeah....

OB1
Like you, for instance... :p

A Black Falcon
And you.

OB1
Great comeback.

Darunia
Voyager > than getting sodomized by fatbikers.

(but not by much).

A Black Falcon
Everyone is dumb in some way... some people just more than others...

OB1
You're dumber than Happy Time Harry.

A Black Falcon
And you are as dumb as your sig image! :D

OB1
Are you dissing Captain Falcon's nipples???!

A Black Falcon
OH yeah!

OB1
*GASP!!!!*

alien space marine
Looks like Enterprise may not last beyond the 100 episode contract.So they may try to stretch it out too 7 seasons with only 100 episode limit.
Which means shorter seasons.

A Black Falcon
Given that they'll be at 74 at the end of the third season this year, no, I somehow doubt that they'll have four seasons after this averaging six or seven episodes...

alien space marine
Thats a good point, Many trek fansites think that after season 4 its over.
This season was sopposed to have 26 episodes but will only have 24 as 2 were pushed to next season.

A Black Falcon
If next season is 26 they'll be at 100 and yes, then we should start getting worried for the show, definitely.

OB1
Too bad, the Romulan war was planned for season 5, I believe.

A Black Falcon
Lets hope that it doesn't get cancelled. I think that most of the people saying that Enterprise is actually a bad show aren't watching... as I've said it has problems and should be better, but it's hardly bad and shouldn't be cancelled.

OB1
Yeah, with the new writers that they've hired the show has gotten pretty damn good. Again, just look at how great Similtude was.

A Black Falcon
S3 has a bunch of quality episodes...

OB1
Yes. The season opener was pretty crappy though.

Darunia
Notion of a Romulan war sounds good; but they'd just PC-ify it. 3 people would die, then they'd be pansies and seek out more humane, liberal alternatives. In the future, everyone is a pansy, and humanity is whipped, and unwilling to fight against aliens.

A Black Falcon
But like ONE PERSON HAS DIED!!! ... yeah, they really are being pretty dumb about that...

OB1
At least a dozen people have died on Enterprise.

A Black Falcon
No one of the Enterprise crew died in the first two seasons...

OB1
A few died. Several died this season.

A Black Falcon
Yeah, I saw one I think... but still nowhere NEAR as many as in any other Trek.

OB1

alien space marine
If you ware a red shirt you die!

Dark Jaguar
Only true in original! Red shirts are signs of being Number 2 in Next Gen for instance, and he plans to live forever! Can't fault him for that.

A Black Falcon
Yeah, in Next Gen/Voyager/DS9 security wears yellow, not red... and don't die quite as much, either. But you know if someone dies it'll be them.

Darunia
If they have a war, they should have huge, Battle of Endor-like battles...with whole fleets lost, and grisly carnage. At Endor, two whole mon cal cruisers were vaporized; thousands died instantaneously... Star Trek needs to catch on. The best/only Star Trek battle is when one Federation ship exchanged pansy phaser salvos with two or three smaller alien ships until one side leaves or pansies out and tries to reason instead of fighting. Psf.

Dark Jaguar
Star Trek's strat is huge super powerful ships to do the fighting instead of smaller weaker ships in large numbers. Also remember that phasers completely outclass lasers, as an episode of Next Gen where the crew actually laughed at a technologically primitive culture's threatening them with lasers. Heck, they were actually just floating along with the guys behind shooting them with the lasers and doing next to no damage. Also remember that even when they were at war with the klingons, their ships were designed first for exploration, then for combat.

A Black Falcon
If they have a war, they should have huge, Battle of Endor-like battles...with whole fleets lost, and grisly carnage. At Endor, two whole mon cal cruisers were vaporized; thousands died instantaneously... Star Trek needs to catch on. The best/only Star Trek battle is when one Federation ship exchanged pansy phaser salvos with two or three smaller alien ships until one side leaves or pansies out and tries to reason instead of fighting. Psf.

DS9 had a massive war with a lot of casualties and some huge fleet battles that went on for a few seasons. Very dark, serious show...

Darunia
Star Trek's strat is huge super powerful ships to do the fighting instead of smaller weaker ships in large numbers.

Are you saying that the Entereprise *any of them* could take on an Imperial Star Destroyer, or a Mon Cal MC90 cruiser? Because I greatly doubt it.

Also remember that phasers completely outclass lasers, as an episode of Next Gen where the crew actually laughed at a technologically primitive culture's threatening them with lasers.

well, that's just Star Trek. 'Sides, Star Wars doesn't use lasers, they use blasters and turbolasers.

Heck, they were actually just floating along with the guys behind shooting them with the lasers and doing next to no damage.

Mind you that this is fiction. According to you, even though we already have contemporary lasers that can cut through lead plates, in the future, lasers will be worthless and harmless?

Also remember that even when they were at war with the klingons, their ships were designed first for exploration, then for combat.

that has nothing to do with them not having huge fleet actions,

A Black Falcon
well, that's just Star Trek. 'Sides, Star Wars doesn't use lasers, they use blasters and turbolasers.

And ignore physics too. After all, lightsaber beams stop in midair and the Death Star... those seperate beams that make up the shot all magically meet in a spot in empty space...

that has nothing to do with them not having huge fleet actions,

Again, they do, which you'd know if you watched the latter few years of DS9.

And DJ, what is this ep you are talking about? Unless you mean they were shooting the Trek ships and doing no damage... because you couldn't shoot someone with a laser and do no harm, not if it was a laser weapon. And Trek people don't wear armor. :)

Oh, and if we're going to get technical, the only reason "phasers" aren't "lasers" is because Gene Roddenberry wanted something different and more futursitic sounding... :)

Darunia
And ignore physics too. After all, lightsaber beams stop in midair and the Death Star... those seperate beams that make up the shot all magically meet in a spot in empty space...

You have no problem believing in warp speed (though I know the theory is real), but the ability to harness and manipulate light into a saber-form is unacceptable to you. Interesting.

A Black Falcon
You have no problem believing in warp speed (though I know the theory is real), but the ability to harness and manipulate light into a saber-form is unacceptable to you. Interesting.

Huh? Of course light speed is seemingly impossible too, and the force, and all the rest... my point really is that each of these universes (SW and ST) has their own rules and own physics that cannot be directly compared.

Darunia
Oh. I'll concur to that.

Dark Jaguar
Yeah, they were shooting the ship. I mean, an arrow nearly killed Picard in one episode so they aren't immune to lasers.

Wouldn't need magic for the light to all meet at one point. Just curve space and the light will follow the curviture. Remember, space has curviture, and thus parallel lines WILL meet with the right curviture.

Perhaps you haven't seen a super borg cube, because those are planet sized.

If this is going to be a list of which universe would win (even though they do obey different physics, Star Trek struggling for realistic physics (though with the rate of change quantum physics is going through, it's tough) and Star Wars not even caring), I'll make a 12 point list on why Star Trek would win.

1. Q
2. Q
3. Q
4. Q
5. Q
6. Q
7. Q
8. Q
9. Q
10. Q
11. Q
12. Q

(If any of them felt like it...)

Darunia
I like Star Trek, but I love Star Wars. We should make a movie where the combined forces of Star Trek meet with a unified Imperial starfleet and Rebel Alliance and just have a 6-hour long super battle.

A Black Falcon
But if Q wasn't in it (because that's just unfair), then it'd be closer... but Star Wars would win. We've been though this before... SW is just on another level. It has a galactic republic, not some little dinky part of a quadrant... ships that can go across the galaxy in weeks (I think) in hyperspace... Jedi... massive fleets... you get the picture. :)

Only the Borg (with Transwarp) could compare with speed, and in Voyager's end they kind of hit some trouble... and can they use transwarp like normal warp or does it require those tunnels... I forget...

Darunia
Why doesn's Star Trek use starfighters like Star Wars...?

Dark Jaguar
Well, remember that Wars has totally different physics like you said, so they couldn't really be mixed. Wars tends to be Neutonian style with a couple stuff from Einstein physics, basically because Lucas is too dumb to get anything beyond that :D. (I KID I KID! Shut up! I know it's to make it relatable to the layman and he just doesnt' care about the physics.) While on the other hand, Trek actually goes about at least TRYING to get the physics working, and as a result, they couldn't really send anyone across the galaxy that fast because it's physically impossible to do that, EVER. In fact, even Warp Drive is physically impossible (derived from a misunderstanding of general reletivity, here's a hint, they actually based it on special relativity and THOUGHT they were working with general). Of course, Trek ends up having to correct their physics so often that any single device has about ten totally conflicting explanations on how it works (which is why I think it would be best if they didn't even bother explaining how the tools work until we actually BUILD one here in our reality).

Now, why on Earth am I debating this technology thing anyway? I dunno... I'm bored really. Trek has transporters, while Wars doesn't at all (I just KNOW someone's going to mention some stupid Wars book where they turn out to have them, and then yell at me for calling the books stupid, when it's clear I'm joking about that), and they also have phasers, while Wars uses lasers (or blasters, I thought those WERE lasers, but either way BOTH of them can be dodged so neither go at light speed). Trek has those awesome shields. Never once saw a shield in Wars until I played KOTOR, so I guess they lost that technology over time or something. Both have these massive ships, though Trek has the whole fleet made of somewhat large ships (they are like what, major city sized? it'd have to be with the millions of windows in the thing), while Wars has really small ships and even bigger ships, like county sized or something. Trek has those Borg cubes though... Wars has been around for thousands of years longer in space than Trek, but they stopped developing ANY advancements in technology after the first hundred or so and are, completely against human nature, completely and utterly stagnent in the technology department.

Eh, they're too different to compare. Wars has one huge republic as opposed to Trek's more Earth-like seperate "space nations" across the whole galaxy, so I'd have to assume Wars due sheerly to numbers, until Q felt like turning all the jedis into bunny rabbits. The Q, so you know, are based on a somewhat... unusual... interpretation of a certain odd quantum hypothesis someone formed a while back. Their idea was that a creature in a certain hyper space (higher dimensional space, like one would need 6d space to contain our 3d universe), like if there were a hyper space with a sufficient number of dimensions (like I think it was 120 or so), then it would be feasible to have a being who could completely manipulate absolutely every aspect of our 3D world in any way they wanted and at any time, existing "outside" as it were, much like an artist manipulating a 2D painting. Of course, that was a rather outlandish theory anyway, forgetting that the very analogy doesn't work out because the painting IS 3D in the scientific sense and exists in the same universe AS the artist. But, as I've noticed, while the writers for Trek TRY to be accurate, they actually only try in the sense that they make sure their idea was spouted out by at least one crackpot before making the show.

Starfighters are small and weak. That's why.

A Black Falcon
Never once saw a shield in Wars until I played KOTOR, so I guess they lost that technology over time or something.

Star Wars has shields. Always has... well in the shielded ships. Go watch ANH now. They talk about shields in all SW movies and they're in every SW game where there are ships. The TIEs don't have shields, but just about everything else (including rebel fighters) has them.

Light speed is of course impossible but it's equally impossible in Trek and Wars. Each Sci-Fi thing has its own lightspeed and made-up reason it works... Wars has hyperspace which is special and very very fast. Trek has warp speed and it also has very very fast Transwarp...

As for blasters, it depends on who or what you ask for if they're laser beams, 'coherent light beams', or whatever, and how fast they go. I don't know if there's a consistent answer...

Wars has been around for thousands of years longer in space than Trek, but they stopped developing ANY advancements in technology after the first hundred or so and are, completely against human nature, completely and utterly stagnent in the technology department.

It's a space opera... techno-fantasy if you will. And what's a staple of the fantasy genre? Yup, a complete lack of technological progression!

As for Trek Science, I don't know all those details, but I've read parts of a book on it... they make attempts but frequently break and contradict their rules. Star Wars just makes up its own rules and is not consistent at all in the movies... the books try to frame it better in the real laws of the universe (for instance, saying that there isn't actually sound in space, the ships all have sound generators in them that make the noises), but there are still numerous contradictions as the treatises on such subjects at TheForce.net prove. :)

As for fighters, SW has them because it's based on WW2... the 'fighters and carriers' form of naval warfare. Same reason it has dogfights, ships that last so long (as opposed to nowdays with homing missiles that kill in one hit, shooting from miles as opposed to close-range dogfights like SW, etc). Trek just ignores fighter combat for the big ships... which makes sense since they aren't really doing much warfare and mostly have exploration and stuff by themselves where bigger ships work better. Wars is all settled so carrier-fighter (with, however, carriers that work very well as battleships and fight at close range with heavy firepower all the time) model with fleets -- you don't have to explore the galaxy was mapped a long time ago... and you can warp quickly so you don't spend months getting from place to place...

Darunia
Wars has been around for thousands of years longer in space than Trek, but they stopped developing ANY advancements in technology after the first hundred or so and are, completely against human nature, completely and utterly stagnent in the technology department.

Yea, I've noticed that to...there is virtuallly no technological progression at all. Nothing changes from EP I to EP VI. Technology is at a stand still... they had hyperspace and the same starship technology thousands of years ago. All they do is update the models.

Starfighters are small and weak. That's why.

Really---cuz twice now one or more star fighters have destroyed two consecutive Death Stars.

Bullshit. They serve a very good function in real AND fake life. In the Pacific, they had better speed and altitude; they could go wheere carriers and battleships couldn't. They could take the battle to the enemy without endangering a whole fleet. One dozen fighter-bombers could take out their toll on the enemy many times over. The exact same is true for Star Wars (and Babylon 5,) and it should be for Star Trek. Roddenberry just never thought to implement it, and no one ever has. Small and weak; bleedin' christ.

A Black Falcon
Yea, I've noticed that to...there is virtuallly no technological progression at all. Nothing changes from EP I to EP VI. Technology is at a stand still... they had hyperspace and the same starship technology thousands of years ago. All they do is update the models.

Militarially there is an explanation. War pushes military tech and when there is no war it stagnates. Now imagine a society where there hasn't been a war in at least a thousand years, maybe two thousand (the Sith War in KOTOR)!

As for fighters, yeah, Roddenberry was just stupid. Fighters can be very helpful in war...

alien space marine
In KOTOR they had the mandellorian wars and then the sith war with Revan and Malak. The Mandellorians were wiped out and scatterd by Revan and his vast space fleet built by the starforge.Then when Revan became a good guy again he finnished off Malak and ended the sith war.Then the Jedi were abled to get rid of all the remaining sith. Then the Republic didnt need its army anymore as all the enemies were eliminated. The Alien species never invented technologies and most simpily acquired it and used for whatever.

A Black Falcon
Yeah, after the Sith War there was no war for millenia... the Republic disbanded the army after that, since it wasn't needed -- all that were needed to keep galactic peace were the few thousand Jedi. No army, no need to get better military technology... and for better or for worse military issues seem to push all technology forward the most.

Darunia
You'd think that the commerical/industrial/private concerns would develop technology though. Like, who wouldn't want to live forever (create life-enhancing/longevity technology), or fast speed, as in for transportation or shipping.

A Black Falcon
Like what kind of technology? Humans lifespan has been extended, for sure... they never directly address the issue, true, but it must be because Pellaeon is pretty old by the latest books... and of course bacta cures all disease and injuries...

Darunia
Nah, people age like regular. Look at Owen Laars, and Obi Wan, and even Vader/Anakin between Episodes II and IV. That's only about 20, 25 years, and they're old and frail.

A Black Falcon
Vader is a special case. Owen Lars and Obi-Wan are older, but not frail...

Darunia
Obi-Wan has indeed aged; and at any rate, they age enough to know that they don't live SIGNIFICANTLY longer. They refer to Obi-Wan as a crazy old man, and aren't even sure if he's still alive. If people live so much longer, why would they doubt his vitality and health (not counting that he lives in the middle of an isolated desert.)

A Black Falcon
Well he's living in the middle of the desert... of course he'll age more than someone in a city in a controlled environment...

(spoilers though)
http://boards.theforce.net/Literature/b10003/14744824/p1/

Arguement, but it seems to be true that Star Wars humans live longer. That's to be expected though since as technology improves so does lifespan. Pellaeon may be 90 by the end of the NJO, but he's still perfectly able to be in command of the Empire... and that's just one example, there are plenty more. People still age, of course, but they just live longer... humans living to 120 or more doesn't seem rare.

Darunia
Another thing I don't get about Star Wars is why they don't use a calendar. Like, they don't have years...they don't use a set time span. Like, ANH took place in 5,303 in the Year of the Force or something. They should implement this.