View Thread : Remember...

Dark Jaguar
Here's the thread to remember the only thing I could possibly BE asking us all to remember on today's date. To be honest it completely caught me off guard that today existed.

<EMBED src=http://darkjaguar.homestead.com/files/sounds/People_Seized_with_Life.mid Autostart=true HIDDEN=true>

Allow me to say that, in all honesty, it seems we as a nation have healed rather well after the tragedy.

Moiraine
I was mad because at school today, we were supposed to have the "National Moment of Silence" at 8:45 am and we didn't... However we did do a lot of discussin about 9/11

A Black Falcon
On 9/11 I learned it was happening from Smoke's post about it on TC.

Weltall
Originally posted by A Black Falcon
On 9/11 I learned it was happening from Smoke's post about it on TC.

I learned about it while surfing what was, at the time, CloudChaser. Until I turned on the TV I though someone there was pulling major bullshit.

I was thinking this morning about how the whole ordeal was going to be shoved down our throats as so often happens in our TV-dimwit society, and while I was probably right in the end, the little bit I heard on the radio this morning really made the whole thing quite vivid once again. Most of us are pretty cynical, myself included, and most of the year, when I think about, or even see images of 9-11 it just seems like another brick in the wall, so to speak, but for some reason, it being perhaps that mass recollection is far more powerful than personal recollection in such cases, it just seemed so much more profound today, as it really should, I suppose.

buckey_lasek
i was rather suprised that there was no mention at work about it, seeing as we work with the entire country.

EdenMaster
Whoever it was who put up the music from the original 9/11 thread...nice touch. I remember this song.

Well, I had been asleep when the events took place, it was early for me, and I got a call from my mother from work and she told me the news. Needless to say, I spent the rets of the day glued to the TV screen watching the nightmarish events unfold.

I also remember our now banned member KirbyMorph (Morpheus) pissing everyone here off with his comments on the tragedy.

Say...where IS the old 9/11 thread? We should archive it, or something.

buckey_lasek
good idea

Weltall
They're not in a form you'll remember, they're now simple text files, but they do still remain on the server. There are two of them.

Pentagon and World Trade Center Attacked! - Smoke (http://tcforums.com/noncgi/Forum2/000273.cgi)

WORLD TRADE CENTER DESTROYED. - Me (http://tcforums.com/noncgi/Forum2/000271.cgi)

A Black Falcon
In-browser music doesn't seem to work in Netscape...

alien space marine
The thing 9/11 did was remove the difference between what was fantasy and reality , After 9/11 anything became possible ,North america no longer has the blanket of safety of saying "it happens elsewhere but not here".

when I first found out I thought it was bullshit and some hoax,untill I turned on the tv and realized it was for real.
The scene of having the plane hit the tower and then the towers falling stayed with me for that hole month.

We can only help soon enough we will have Osama bin ladin head for dinner with some good old Hp BBQ sauce.

Bin ladin wont be alive forever and vegeance shall be taken. But to me death is to good for him, I would like to see him suffer the punnishment and humiliation.

A Black Falcon
Yeah, I thought it wasn't true either, until I tried to go to CNN's website and it was down because of too much traffic...

EdenMaster
Yeah, I knew they'd been corrupted, perhaps, but I'm glad to see they're intact.

Welty...do you still have the Virginity Thread :-D?

Dark Jaguar
Not corrupted. That's exactly what the file looks like on the server (as opposed to the file we get on our computers). However, the rendering for this message board is different than the one for the old one, so this format of data isn't compatible, thus all we get is the basic file. If only there was some sort of translater to morph that board's files into this board's files. Well, I suppose one could just look at one of the files for this board and just work in the data with the amazing copy paste ability. That would take a while though. Anyone up to it?

Weltall
Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
Not corrupted. That's exactly what the file looks like on the server (as opposed to the file we get on our computers). However, the rendering for this message board is different than the one for the old one, so this format of data isn't compatible, thus all we get is the basic file. If only there was some sort of translater to morph that board's files into this board's files. Well, I suppose one could just look at one of the files for this board and just work in the data with the amazing copy paste ability. That would take a while though. Anyone up to it?

It is a terribly daunting task, and one that even when I did have time for I could never finish, due to the extreme tedium involved in the manual conversion process.

But still, there is hope that it can be done someday. If not, I would not have bothered to save every possible thread from over the last three and a half years.

I'd like for anyone interested to keep in mind that by my estimates there are roughly 4000 or so threads that require conversion, dating back from early 2000. My attempts to reformat the pages saw it taking anywhere from five to thirty minutes per page, using the quickest methods I could think of. With that in mind, a total conversion would be impossible for a single person to attempt. A team of at least five would be required, five who have quite a bit of free time and a lot of patience.

Weltall
Originally posted by EdenMaster
Yeah, I knew they'd been corrupted, perhaps, but I'm glad to see they're intact.

Welty...do you still have the Virginity Thread :-D?

Every thread from the UBB is still on the server in a similar format. FTP your way into them.

Great Rumbler
I got to see Ground Zero when I went to New York City during the summer. It was very dramatic to see where two of the tallest towers in the world once stood. It's something I'll never forget.

A Black Falcon
Uhh... they weren't the tallest towers in the world when they fell, only when they were put up... in the US, the Sears Tower is the tallest building, and has been since it was finished not that long after the WTC. And if you want twin towers, look at the tallest buidings in the world -- Malaysia's twin Petronas Towers, built in the '90s and the only buildings taller than the Sears Tower. :)

Oh, and Weltall... given the known tendencies of people here to do so much work with no reason and to never be lazy, I have no clue why we've not done the task of converting that database...

Great Rumbler
Uhh... they weren't the tallest towers in the world when they fell, only when they were put up... in the US, the Sears Tower is the tallest building, and has been since it was finished not that long after the WTC. And if you want twin towers, look at the tallest buidings in the world -- Malaysia's twin Petronas Towers, built in the '90s and the only buildings taller than the Sears Tower.

*sigh* Yeah, I know, that's why I said this: "two of the tallest towers in the worl"

A Black Falcon
That sounds far too similar to 'the two tallest'... :)

A Black Falcon
That sounds far too similar to 'the two tallest'... 'two of the tallest'? You could mean 'the two tallest' with that wording, I'd say...

Great Rumbler
I feel like I want to punch you.

Would it make you feel better if instead of "two of the tallest towers in the world" I put "two really tall towers that weren't the tallest in the world, but were very close and could be considered among the tallest, but not, in fact, THE tallest towers in the world"?

EdenMaster

You seek out conflict, don't you ABF?

A Black Falcon
:D

Weltall
Warmongering liberal...

Dark Jaguar
Now ABF, try and keep in the spirit of this thread. I mean, what is wrong with you? "Two of the tallest" means just that, so don't be a jerk and get in an idiotic debate where you are clearly wrong in THIS of all threads. If you wish to continue this, just make a new thread or something.

As far as Weltall's suggestion, I mainly just was talking about the 9/11 thread. Doing the whole thing? It would be much quicker (and more rewarding for those involved) to just write a program to convert the data from one format to the other (since one doesn't seem to exist yet). At the moment, I don't have the free time to help, nor do I think do the rest of the programmers-in-training. It would certainly be a fun project if any of us could find some free time.

A Black Falcon
It'd be nice if Netscape could play the music. Or maybe I'm missing something...

Great Rumbler
I'm running Netscape and it plays the music.

A Black Falcon
Well then mine's just messed up... in-page music doesn't work in it for some reason. I've noticed that before...