View Thread : Do you like The Trek?

Undertow
Do you actually like Star Trek?

Great Rumbler
Yes.

A Black Falcon
Of course!

Darunia
Yes, but not nearly as much as Star Wars.

A Black Falcon
No, not as much as Star Wars.

Darunia
Does anyone here prefer Star Trek to Star Wars...?

Great Rumbler
I don't think anyone here does, I know I certaintly don't.

A Black Falcon
Yeah, I don't think anyone here likes Trek more.

Darunia
...so why is this a Trek theme and not a Star Wars one...?

OB1
Because I was in a real Trek mood when I made this. :D

I think Weltall prefers Star Trek over Star Wars.

Darunia
Weltall believes that! Well, than he truly is a dork.

OB1
Well to each his own.

Darunia
Chacun ses gouts.

Great Rumbler
I'm French! Why do you think I have this OUTRAGEOUS accent?!

OB1
Darunia aime nager dans ses propres épuisent.

Great Rumbler
Darunia likes to swim in his clean exhaust.

Wha? :confused:

OB1
That was supposed to read "Darunia likes to swim in his own poop".

Great Rumbler
Silly, babelfish! :D

A Black Falcon
The French, unlike the rest of the Europeans, seem to make it their mission to have the thickest English accents possible... its like they have pride in being nearly unintelligible a lot of the time (take the people on the airplane (we took Air France when we went to Denmark)...

OB1
Still not as bad as when most Americans try to speak a foreign language. At least the French accent has some charm to it. Someone speaking French with a really bad American accent is ten times worse, trust me.

A Black Falcon
Yes, Americans are far worse.

I was just comparing it to Scandinavia, where not only does essentially everyone speak English, but they do it with minimal accent...

Darunia
That's owing to the fact that Scandinavian languages are Germanic.

A Black Falcon
That is true, but it doesn't explain all of it. :)

Dark Lord Neo
I like Trek more than Star Wars
I think europeans tend to lean to speak english with British accents because tradionally that was who they had to deal with the most in english, and since there teachers spoke it with a British accent then they picked up the British accents. It makes much more sense than how for some reason here they choose to teach us Parisan French

A Black Falcon
That was exactly my point -- most Europeans speak English with British accents... less often, with other varieties of English-speaking-world accents. But the French don't. :)

OB1
Neo, you like Trek but you've barely posted in this forum...

Darunia
You'd think they'd endeavor to learn American accents, since we're the prime economic, political and militarily powerful nation the world has ever seen.

A Black Falcon
Given that England is far closer to Continental Europe than America, I'd expect them to learn more from English people than from us (teachers-wise of course...)...

Darunia
Yea I understand that, but...you know. We're better than England. :p

A Black Falcon
How do you quantify 'better'? ...

Dark Lord Neo
Yeah but most europeans wouldn't want to be mistaken for an American, being mistaken for a Brit wouldn't be quite s bad

Darunia
ABF: Won't bother talking to you about it as Canadians are almost as European as England, and you wish you still belonged to the UK.

DLN: Can't argue with that, but that's only because they don't like us. That has nothing to do with anyone being better than anyone else.

OB1
"Canadians are almost as European as England"??? What kind of crap is that? The only way anyone in Europe can differentiate between an American and a Canadian is by which flag they have on their backpack. Many Americans who like to travel throughout Europe tell people that they're from Canada since Americans are so unpopular in certain areas.

A Black Falcon
Well Canadians are less confrontational... they have less violence (despite just as many guns proportionally), less political arguing (they tend to agree on a left-of-center viewpoint and when they do disagree it doesn't seem to get very bad, by US standards at least...)... but otherwise, yeah, they are very, very similar to Americans. Certainly far closer than Americans or Canadians and any type of Europeans...

Darunia
You're right, we are alike, only:

--Canada's GDP is not even 1/10th of the US's
--GDP per capita is $7,000 less a year.
--Canada's unemployment rate is 1.8% higher than America's.
--America paved the bloody way for modern Democracy in a world resolved to forever linger in the tyranny of kings.
--American "confrontationalism" won both world wars.
--In absence of American "confrontationalism", when America tried to be neutral, Hitler swept across Europe.
--Canada's head of state is still a Queen. (tsk tsk.)

A Black Falcon
Uh, you DO know that those really don't amount to much of a real difference between the people of Canada and the US? Yes, there are differences, of course... mostly about confrontationalism (which Canada has always avoided, as its history shows) and not much else... but anything big enough to say that we are anywhere near as different as Europeans? No way! Not even close! You REALLY don't know Europe well, do you... have you ever even been there? I have been to Europe three times...

GDP is smaller? Well DUH! The population is 50 million, not 300 million like ours! And we're their biggest trading partner, by far...

Unemployment? That's a significant difference between nations? :erm:

And yes, they don't like to fight as much we we do and would rather do things by staying within the legal system... but I can't see anything wrong with that...

Oh, and the Queen of England is technically queen of a whole bunch of the countries in the Commonwealth (Australia, New Zealand, etc, etc), but its a complete formality and means absolutely nothing...

Darunia
I didn't write those as key differences between both countries, but more as ways to slam Canada. :shakeit:

No shit GDP isn't figured for population dummy, but it is per capita, and per capita we're $7,000 richer than you.

No I've never been to Europe (though I will in due time be spending more time than you ever will.) But I've also never been to the Washington, DC. Maybe I don't know anything about America either then.

A Black Falcon
But they really aren't all that bad, so they're pretty pathetic 'slams'...

More time than I have in Europe? Hmm, how long do you plan on being there? I've been there for a year the first time, 5 weeks the second, and 1 week the third... and OB1 lived in Europe for 4 years, you know.

Oh yeah, and I've been to Washington DC... its nice. Good museums and monuments. :)

Darunia
I plan to be an interpreter abroad or in an embassy.

Fittisize
-USA has more car accidents and murders than Canadians do per capita, ten-fold.
-USA provided billions of dollars in aid to Saddam Heussein to kill Iranians. Then killed him off twenty years later! American tax dollars well spent.
-U.N. estimates that over 500,000 Iraqi childrendied from weekly American bombings over Iraq from '91 to '03. Small price to pay for Iraqi freedom.
-USA gives Taliban ruled Afghanistan $245 million in aid
-Osama bin Ladin uses his capital and CIA training to murder over 3,000 Americans. More well-spent tax dollars!
-I can walk down the street on a given night in any of the major Canadian cities (or any place in Canada) and not have fear of being murdered or mugged...plus I don't need to carry a gun for protection (only for hunting, should I ever decide too), and I don't have to lock my doors at night. Not scared of burglars.

I could go on and on, but I won't.
God Bless America.

Oh yeah, Canada has only 30 million people, ABF, not 50.

A Black Falcon
Only one issue with that, Fittisize, and its the last one... you don't need to lock your doors EVERYWHERE in America... just in cities mostly, though its probably smart to most everywhere, I know most people around here probably don't lock all their doors at night... and almost noone gets murdered...

Of course, the bigger the community the more violence there is. And it is absolutely true that Canada has dramatically lower amounts of violence while having just as many guns in the society, proportionally...

And those first group of stats are fine, but not that exciting because there are so, so many categories that we are bad in...

Great Rumbler
I'm sensing an America vs. Canada debate on the horizen...

Only one issue with that, Fittisize, and its the last one... you don't need to lock your doors EVERYWHERE in America... just in cities mostly, though its probably smart to most everywhere, I know most people around here probably don't lock all their doors at night... and almost noone gets murdered...

We don't need to lock our doors at night, we live in the country and theft is very rare, but we do anyway just to be on the safe side.

Darunia
-USA has more car accidents and murders than Canadians do per capita, ten-fold.

Canada 1, USA 0.

-USA provided billions of dollars in aid to Saddam Heussein to kill Iranians. Then killed him off twenty years later! American tax dollars well spent.

What do you want from me, hind sight is 20/20.

-U.N. estimates that over 500,000 Iraqi children died from weekly American bombings over Iraq from '91 to '03. Small price to pay for Iraqi freedom.

I doubt that's true. I mean its not like the UN is sour at the US or anything.

-USA gives Taliban ruled Afghanistan $245 million in aid

We've given everyone aid, assmunch. I don't care to protect all of America's foreign policies over the past 200 years.

-Osama bin Ladin uses his capital and CIA training to murder over 3,000 Americans. More well-spent tax dollars!

Since when do you care about American lives or dollars, you fuck. It's fine to just stand there assfucking a beaver when we need help over seas, but don't you criticize our foreign policy accidents. At least we have a foreign policy beyond exporting timber.

-I can walk down the street on a given night in any of the major Canadian cities (or any place in Canada) and not have fear of being murdered or mugged...plus I don't need to carry a gun for protection (only for hunting, should I ever decide too), and I don't have to lock my doors at night. Not scared of burglars.

Oh well, you have our number there. Just last night, there were 3 gangwars downtown in my peaceful New England town of 20,000 people. My car has been broken into 5 times since the beginning of the year. I've only be mugged 12 times since July; that's not so bad anymore. And yes, by federal law, since our president is a Texas Republican, we all must carry 12-gauge shotguns. If I didn't lock my doors everynight, I'd wake up and see a meth lab set up in my kitchen. And I have nightmares about burglars every night. Wait--ARE YOU a burglar?!?!?

God Bless America.

Oh Canada.

Oh yeah, Canada has only 30 million people, ABF, not 50.

Thirty-two million. Ass.

A Black Falcon
Darunia, you make no sense at all...

Darunia
Let's go find a patient toddler. He'll try and help you understand it.

Ryan
Why is America better than Canada?

1. Cars: Do Canadians even make them?
2. Beer: Americans flush their piss, Canadians bottle it.
3. Weather: America has it all, not just varying degrees of ass-biting cold.
4. Black People: Ours simply have more funk than yours.
5. Liberalism: What is an outmoded historical oddity here is a way of life up there.
6. Money: Bill Gates alone probably has more than your whole country, and it's worth more to boot.
7. French Factor: Limited only to Louisiana here, up there it consumes all like the smelly, unshaven virus it is.

Fittisize
1. Now wait just a second, the city of Oshawa, Ontario has several large car plants. But er, that's about it.
2. Molson > Budweiser.
3. Cold weather gives us more time to work on our hockey game. Which is better and faster than any other sport.
4. Funkage is equal, I reckon.
5. Chretien, despite being French and that being his native language, and also not being able to talk out of one side of his mouth, can still string together more intelligient and meaningful speeches than Bush Jr.
6. Naw. Canada has several billionaires.
7. Yeah, well, French people are only limited to Quebec mostly (although there are a few French dominant communites right here in Alberta), but they tend to be clean shaven, deodarant wearing nice peoples.

A Black Falcon
3. I'd say that the fact that much of America is quite hot is a disadvantage, not an advantage... :)

5. Only in your demented mind is liberalism outdated and unpopular. In the real world, the numbers of liberals and conservatives is pretty much the same (with a large number being independant). Oh yeah, and in this state radical right-wingers generally don't do too well... most of the Republicans that do get in are moderates, especially in the federal elections. Same in most of New England.

6. They have 10x fewer people so of course they have far fewer rich people...

7. Quebec has some nice cities in it. :)

Darunia
1. Never heard of a Canadian car company.
2. BEER < NO BEER (gross)
3. Yea...ok...
4. Black people are hardly a cultural commody.
5. Chretien sucks.
6. Bill Gates has more money than "several billionaires."
7. How come I was nearly lynched for not liking Animé (and by association not liking Japan), yet everyone hates and bashes the French? French have done a helluva lot more for the US and Canada than Japan ever has. Bleedin' Christ.

Vive la France.

A Black Falcon
7. Uh, Darunia, maybe because the French dislike us back... its really a mutual dislike. Quite unlike your bigotry... and unlike your hatred its mostly harmless. I at least don't actually dislike French people or anything...

Ryan
Hey, I don't hate ALL French people. Just all the ones alive right now.

:love:

Darunia
Uh, what exactly do you mean by placing "uh" there...other than only to be very sarcastic... Darunia, maybe because the French dislike us back... Oh, but the Russians, Germans, British, Iraqis, Chinese...they all love us. Out of all the world, its the FRENCH who don't like us. Gotcha. Well thats bullshit, and I don't appreciate their being singled out. its really a mutual dislike. Quite unlike your bigotry... and what bigotry is this; refresh my memory. and unlike your hatred its mostly harmless. Ya, I mean the last time I said "Jap" six nations declared war on me, a baby started to cry in Pakistan, and Ethiopia went hungry AGAIN due to me. I am so disruptive. You'd be surprised how many people have commented on that...well NONE have really...as It's an isolated incident online....but anyway I at least don't actually dislike French people or anything...

Oh...by rebuking Weltall and Fittishitz with "we have nice cities in Quebec" you're acknowledging that you dislike the French.

Hey, I don't hate ALL French people. Just all the ones alive right now.

Oh, well thats alright then.

:rolleyes:

Undertow
Originally posted by Weltall

4. Black People: Ours simply have more funk than yours.

This was actually funny.

You get the power up and win the game.

A Black Falcon
Uh, what exactly do you mean by placing "uh" there...other than only to be very sarcastic...

and what bigotry is this; refresh my memory. and unlike your hatred its mostly harmless. Ya, I mean the last time I said "Jap" six nations declared war on me, a baby started to cry in Pakistan, and Ethiopia went hungry AGAIN due to me. I am so disruptive. You'd be surprised how many people have commented on that...well NONE have really...as It's an isolated incident online....but anyway I at least don't actually dislike French people or anything...

Oh...by rebuking Weltall and Fittishitz with "we have nice cities in Quebec" you're acknowledging that you dislike the French.

The 'uh' says that what I said was obvious... like 'not at all, you're nuts'...

How many times must you prove you're a moron? First, how does saying that Quebec is a nice place to visit (been there several times) saying that the French are bad? That makes absolutely no sense to me... and as for France itsself, haven't been there so I wouldn't try to really judge how they are... not seriously...

And lots of people dislike us! Most of the world, in fact... especially in the last few years, but its long-term. People resent/dislike the powerful and their influence on their culture... always have, always will...

Oh yeah, and given that you're very conservative I'd think you'd be in the prime group to actually dislike the French. :)

Darunia
How many times must you prove you're a moron? First, how does saying that Quebec is a nice place to visit (been there several times) saying that the French are bad? That makes absolutely no sense to me...

And again...

Oh...by rebuking Weltall and Fittishitz' French-bashing with "we have nice cities in Quebec" you're acknowledging that you don't care for the French. They're your fellow Canadians, and when Weltall & Fittshitz were making fun of them all you said was "well, at least they have nice cities!"

A Black Falcon
:confused:

:erm:

You still make no sense... they bashed Canada, and Quebec. Now I'd certainly agree that Quebec has issues, but its not that bad... and I said that it has nice cities because Montreal and Quebec City are both nice. :)

Fittisize
When was I making fun of the French?

alien space marine
I live in Quebec you ass holes!:mad:

I am actual just a mile a way from Ontario though.

The Quebecois actually dont hate americans as much like France, Since they love your money!

As for snubby yah there are some but not anymore then the english.

As for nice Cities well Quebec city is a amazing place and old Quebec even has a old 17th century wall around it.Very clean!

The only beef is it isnt Bilingual but that may change.

The Coolest place in Canada is new found land, Alot of taverns and alot of nice people.

Darunia
7. Yeah, well, French people are only limited to Quebec mostly (although there are a few French dominant communites right here in Alberta), but they tend to be clean shaven, deodarant wearing nice peoples.

Talk of them as though they're an unwanted commodity, and then talk of them as though their hygene is remarkably clean (as if the common French person is filthy.)

A Black Falcon
Must you find offence in everything, even things that really aren't meant to be offensive, Darunia?