View Thread : Semnat

Great Rumbler
Go on! Pick one!

OB1

But... but I created Semnat...

YOU CAN'T STEAL MY BABY FROM ME!! I GAVE BIRTH TO IT!!! NOT YOU!!!!

Great Rumbler
That baby is half mine! I helped create it!!

I'm going to, at this point, just walk away and we'll both pretend that I never said that. Okay? :barf:

Dark Jaguar
You TOTALLY didn't create semnat! It's not an English word even!

http://www.business-online.ro/VersiuneaRomana/Discutii13.html

http://www.pcmagazine.ro/pcmag5-10/recente_03.shtml

http://www.tion.ro/Mapamond/Mapamond-61476.shtm

A Black Falcon
Huh, its a word in Romanian... but what does it mean? :)

Great Rumbler
That's weird.

OB1
I made up that word back in Junior High school and I certainly didn't know that it was an old Romanian word.

Hey, I even found out that califat is a real word as well! But I still made it up!

SHUT UP!!

A Black Falcon
Well... they weren't English words, anyway, and that might count for something. :)

OB1
Well, I never heard of them before so I made them up to me.

Great Rumbler
I made up a word before.

OB1
Cool. What was it?

Great Rumbler

I can't remember.

OB1
Gavidanst?

Great Rumbler
That's it, correct spelling and everything. How'd you know?

OB1
Lasifant.

Great Rumbler
Za, coruspundant marshivale?

Dark Jaguar
I'm sure every kid at one point or another made up their own imaginary language :D.

OB1
I made up my own alphabet back in elementary school. The only person that bothered to memorize it was my friend Eddie, but it was still cool since we were able to write long letters using my neat little alphabet. I still remember a lot of it. :D

Great Rumbler
Cool!

EdenMaster
Yhudran myhkiyka? Fryd yna oui dymgehk ypuid? Fru fuimt ku uid uv draen fyo zicd du cbayg tevvanahdmo vnus ajanouha amca? Ed sygac hu cahca!

What? It's Al Bhed.

OB1
Al Bhed is a really dumb-sounding language. It's like one of those fake languages that little kids in Barnie make up.

Dark Jaguar
I guess you don't like Dinosaur language either... Same thing really.

OB1

EdenMaster
Actually, I think some thought was put into making the Al Bhed language. They wanted to make it so finding each of the primers would translate a letter and make it readable, by just changing letters around. In doing so, they made it so the new letters would work similar to the other letters that would be around it. All the vowels are replaced with other vowels, M becomes S, D becomes T, and so on.

So in reality, Al Bhed is a much more advanced language than your puny dinosaur language!

Cu, drana. Buuborayt.

Dark Jaguar
General Scales! (Proper nouns are the same in both languages...)

OB1
I don't care how much thought they put into Al Bhed. The language sounds almost as lame as SFA's Dinosaur language.

*shudders*

A Black Falcon
... huh?|

Great Rumbler
SFA: Star Fox Adventures

Dark Jaguar
But they were fun little langauges! I wanna know what Al Bhed was in Japan. It would have had to be COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY different I imagine.

OB1
They were stupid languages that made me want to kill every single Al Bhed and Dinosaur in those two games.

:guns:

Dark Jaguar
You're no fun... elitist....

EdenMaster
Oui caah cusa uv druca sylrehy dra Al Bhed ryja piemd? Drao't gelg ouin ycc ceq fyoc vnus Cihtyo!

OB1
Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
You're no fun... elitist....

Fake languages are especially bad with a really obvious American accent.

Dark Jaguar
Stop being such an elitist and just enjoy it okay? Besides, America has no accent. It's the REST of the world that has accents! :D (Yes, I'm fully aware the only accent-less nation is the robot nation...)

OB1, oei sud'k odzeo vid j'kivv cabo amuwaduho cudwiuwoj nak'x cokkoh j'naks'xadw! Jiho "Elvish" aj u mis'x meho nocc tojaw'dot vaskaeduc cudwiuwo (ad vusk, K'XO vubo cudwiuwo ke zitwo ucc ek'xohj ro), rik zij'k odzeo ak, mm'buo?

A Black Falcon
Uhh... what in the world is this "Al Bhed"???

Dark Jaguar
It's a language that works just like Dinosaur language found in Final Fantasy X (and possibly FFX-2, though I haven't played that to be sure). Just like Dinosaur language, you have to change different letters around, and it's mixed in just such a way that afterwards everything still sounds like words. I'm not sure WHAT the language is like in the Japanese version though. I imagine it's pretty different.

EdenMaster
Al Bhed is used in FFX-2 as well, as well as the primer system to decipher the language.

It's fun!

OB1
Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
Stop being such an elitist and just enjoy it okay? Besides, America has no accent. It's the REST of the world that has accents! :D (Yes, I'm fully aware the only accent-less nation is the robot nation...)

OB1, oei sud'k odzeo vid j'kivv cabo amuwaduho cudwiuwoj nak'x cokkoh j'naks'xadw! Jiho "Elvish" aj u mis'x meho nocc tojaw'dot vaskaeduc cudwiuwo (ad vusk, K'XO vubo cudwiuwo ke zitwo ucc ek'xohj ro), rik zij'k odzeo ak, mm'buo?

Most Americans that I've seen have very obvious accents when speaking a foreign language. And you're from Oklahoma, so you probably have a southern accent! Which I think is cool, as Johnny sounds neat. But you? *narrows eyes*

Great Rumbler
OB1's right. I took Spanish for two years and anytime I spoke it it sounded horrible.

EdenMaster
Ditto here for French.

A Black Falcon
I took Spanish for 5 years (2 in Jr. High, 3 in High School) and yeah, I'd rather not speak it... :)

OB1
My dad has the worst American accent you could imagine. When we lived in Croatia he tried so hard to learn the language but couldn't get anything right, especially the accent. Poor guy. :)

Dark Jaguar
If that's the case I'm NEVER removing my sig! That's funny!

OB1
Nice try with the reverse psychology, DJ but it won't work!

A Black Falcon
Learning foreign languages is tough, but possible. I definitely agree that by far the hardest part is trying to sound like a native speaker... it's relatively easy for some people to just learn the words, but speaking them accurately? WAY harder.

Great Rumbler
ABF...I know you're just trying to fit in what with the comic in your sig and all that...but don't you think you could use a smaller comic?

A Black Falcon
No, I was trying to use a big one... :)

Great Rumbler
Apparently there's no need to complain anymore. :D

geoboy
Do a google search on semnat and see what pops up now. :D

Great Rumbler
Alright, we're the first result!!

OB1
Holy shit that's awesome!

OB1
These guys are catching up though! http://www.gardianul.ro/articol.php?a=sport2004012801.xml

A Black Falcon
I forget what Semnat means in Romanian...

Great Rumbler
These guys are catching up though! http://www.gardianul.ro/articol.php?a=sport2004012801.xml

We can't let them get ahead of us!

OB1
Let's talk about semnat some more!!! Semnat semnat semnat!!

Great Rumbler
SEMNAT!!

OB1
I think we just need to write it a bunch of times, not "louder"...

semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat

Great Rumbler
I think we just need to write it a bunch of times, not "louder"...

semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat semnat

Woo!! Semnat Party!!!

OB1
Semnat YEAH!

Great Rumbler
I need to do a comic with Semnat!

OB1
Go for it!

Great Rumbler
I will eventually but not for at least a week or so.

OB1
Okay.

Great Rumbler
Semnat Semnat Semnat Semnat

Just in case.

OB1
Good semnat idea. Semnat.

Great Rumbler
That's so semnat!! I totally semnated all the way home! I just saw the semnat semnating over by the semnat! Semnat!

OB1
I just showed my semnat to a bunch of people on the way to work! You should have semnat the look on their semnats!

Ryan
That's so semnat!! I totally semnated all the way home! I just saw the semnat semnating over by the semnat! Semnat!
When you consider how closely the word 'semnat' resembles the word 'seminate', that post is terribly disgusting.

Oh, look what I found.

Great Rumbler
When you consider how closely the word 'semnat' resembles the word 'seminate', that post is terribly disgusting.

Oh, look what I found.

Yay!!

Dark Jaguar
I wonder not only what that word actually means in the original language that spawned it, but also what that original language even was...

Great Rumbler
I think the original language is Romanian, or possible some variant of it.

I did find that "semnatura" means "signature".

Dark Jaguar
Then maybe semnat means sign, and those articles are something about some romanian diplomat signing a peace treaty, like Start 4! I just made that one up, but it basically is a treaty dictating that we should have a preemptive nuclear strike against Venus.

A Black Falcon
In ... uh some other thread ... I linked a Romanian dictionary and 'semnatura=signature' is what you get when you search for 'semnat'. :)

Great Rumbler
That's dumb.

In a good way.

A Black Falcon
semnătură

sf signature

OB1
pfft. Someday Semnat will be world-famous for being the name of my gaming studio. Just you wait!

Great Rumbler
I know! I'll become really famous and then change my name to Semnat!

OB1
... don't you dare!

*quickly changes his name to Semnat. Semnat McCabe*

woo!

Great Rumbler
*changes name to Stanley Semnat*

OB1
*forms superhero alliance with Stanley Semnat, created THE SEMNAT BROS.!!*