View Thread : Expanded Universe. Because no one else here except me cares.

A Black Falcon
I'm really looking forward to getting the rest of the NJO books... there are just four or five more for me, and all the books in the series are out... it's just down to me getting them... first I'll backtrack and get Destiny's Way though, then move to part three of the last multipart series and on to the last few books... kind of sad, that it's almost over, but at least it's not the end of the Star Wars books. I wonder what they can do now though... there's only so many excuses for war you can find, and Star Wars in a time of peace would be boring for many (I would like it, I'm sure, but it would be different...)... they had to bring in the Vong to get away from too many ex-Imperial warlords and super Imperial death stations... what now? More superweapons? :rolleyes:

Ryan
...Sorry. I was going to try and prove you wrong again, but I think you're right... I can't make myself care.

:D

A Black Falcon
Oh and OB1... you don't care if you don't read the books.

OB1
I do care! I've read a few of the books, just none from the NJO line. Let me know how it ends!

A Black Falcon
You care so much that you don't read the EU books... yup, convincing...

But at least you aren't one of those fools saying that only the stuff in the movies counts and the whole EU is stupid and not part of the official Star Wars storyline, like some people on the starwars.com forums...

OB1
I said that I don't read all of them, stupid-face. I've read Zahn's books and a few others. The NJO was just too big for me to afford. I hope the next big storyline is smaller. I do plan on picking up the Ep. 2-3 and 3-4 bridge books, though.

OB1
I wanna get Tatooine Ghost now that it's out on paperback. How good is it? Don't spoil anything...

A Black Falcon
I just got Destiny's Way. :)

And the NJO may be about 20 books long but that's not so bad over a period of years, only if you let it go...

I counted in the front of the book. I have about (might be missing a few, not sure without the books here...) 63 Star Wars books -- 16 NJO and 47 from before that. Plus a series of six old SW children's books that aren't exactly canon in the EU, but some aspects of which have been mentioned.

What don't I have? I'm glad you (er, me) asked! :D

http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/starwars/timeline.html -- note this is missing several books -- Rogue Planet, set after Ep1... it should be in that '29 years before Ep4' label (and a book I have), Tattooine Ghost, after Courtship of Princess Leia, and Shatterpoint, after Ep.2. They are all in the inside cover of Destiny's Way, however.

Going backwards in time from the end of the NJO...
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic III: Reunion
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Ylesia (E-Book. :( )
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Reunion (E-Book. :( )
entire Young Jedi Knights series (14) (for young age groups, but older than JJK)
entire Junior Jedi Knights series (6) (for young age groups)
Tattooine Ghost (inc. E-Book "A Forest Apart")
Shadows of the Empire (I read it from the library but never bought it...)
Star Wars: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi Novelization
Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back Novelization
Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope Novelization
Star Wars: The Adventures of Lando Calrissian (three seperate books but now they are purchased in one volume. Contains:
-Lando Calrissian and the Mind Harp of Sharu
-Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon
-Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka
Star Wars: Shatterpoint (Clone Wars novel)
Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones Novelization
Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace Novelization
entire Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice series (18) (for younger audiences)

A Black Falcon
Accidentally posted the message halfway through... oops...

Read the completed list now. :)

Oh, and remember that's the ones I DON'T have. I didn't list the 69 I do have... would you like me to?

Oh, the newest non-NJO books are Tattooine Ghost and Shatterpoint.

OB1
This is weird. I posted that message after I read your list, but since you edited it after I posted my message, it shows up after it. Huh.

A Black Falcon
Because I deleted my first post and posted the complete list afterwards as a new post, of course...

OB1
Why'd you do that?

A Black Falcon
Because as I said, halfway through I accidentally hit 'post' then hit 'stop' and kept typing. After finishing and posting the thread I noticed it'd posted the other one and deleted it.

OB1
So why'd you do that?

A Black Falcon
Because I hit post by accident and didn't want to stop writing just because of that... :)

OB1
So why'd you do that?

A Black Falcon
Just discuss the topic of the thread!

... you're being annoying...

OB1
Haha, I know.

Great Rumbler
I don't read science fiction very much [fantasy is what I read mostly] even Star Wars books, although I have read some namely the Grand Admiral Thran [sp?] series and the Jedi Academy trilogy along with a few others.

OB1
Thrawn.

A Black Falcon
The Thrawn Trilogy was the first of the modern SW EU stuff, and I (and many others) still think it's the best... Zahn is just a great writer, and did very good work. His second SW work, a duology, that isset right before the NJO, is similarly great...

They made the NJO because it'd gotten old with increasingly-hard-to-justify threats to the galaxy. The Empire was gone, there are only so many warlords and lost imperial superweapons you can dig up before it gets old... I'm seriously wondering what they can do now that the NJO is over.

OB1
Lucas made sure that 30 years after the OT couldn't be touched with the books, but that was so long ago that I'm not sure if he still cares. He was most likely saving that time period for the sequel trilogy.

Perhaps they could do the sequel trilogy story with the books?

A Black Falcon
Except those rumors about movies 7-9... :)

But I think they well might go past 30 years with books. We'll see in not too long.

OB1
That's if Lucas has totally abandoned the sequel trilogy idea, which I think he has. That 7-9 rumor has turned into the live-action SW show rumor.

A Black Falcon
Maybe. Honestly I don't know if Lucas has decided what he's going to do...

Great Rumbler
Quite frankly I'd like to see Lucas direct something besides Star Wars [Yes I know he HAS directed other movies, but that was a long time ago!].

Please please please direct a Curse of Monkey Island movie!

A Black Falcon
A Monkey Island movie? :D ... actually that could be pretty good... I think adventure games would make good movies, given how they are strongly story-based, and Monkey Island is a great humor series.

And I only would want Lucas to stop making Star Wars movies ... uh ... never?

OB1
Lucas said that after Ep 3 is done he's going to make small, experimental movies that will be a complete commercial failure. I'm looking forward to that. :)

Even if a sequel trilogy were to be made (which probably won't happen), Lucas most definitely would not direct them.

Great Rumbler
Lucas said that after Ep 3 is done he's going to make small, experimental movies that will be a complete commercial failure. I'm looking forward to that.

Those are usually the best ones.

I've heard rumors that Speilberg might direct a third SW trilogy.

A Black Falcon
Or maybe it's a TV show between eps 3 and 4 about the rise of Vader...

OB1
The rumor was about a new live-action SW project after Episode 3 so everybody assumed that it was a sequel trilogy, but now it's looking very likely that it's going to be a live-action series set between Episodes 3 & 4. Spielberg looks to have some involvement with the series. Maybe producer.

Great Rumbler
A TV series would be pretty cool.

OB1
It'll be about little Luke doing farm chores on Tatooine. That's it.

Great Rumbler
It's a reality tv show!!

OB1
Yeah! That'd be so cool.

A Black Falcon
Or not.

OB1
Or not.

Great Rumbler
Well I think it would be!

A Black Falcon
Just say no.

This could be good... it would be cool to see a 'Rise of Darth Vader' thing. I just hope that the American TV audience could take a show where the bad guys win constantly...

Oh, and if it succeeds, maybe a future show about Rogue Squadron? I know that's an old rumor, but it'd be great... :)

OB1
Or another Ewoks show!

A Black Falcon
Oh yes that'd be awesome...

Seriously, I liked those two Ewoks movies. Probably because when I saw them I was in the right age group, or close to it. :)

OB1
The Ewok movies suck. Hard.

A Black Falcon
Well I liked them to some extent (they weren't great, but not TERRIBLE...) when I was a kid. Though they probably were pretty bad.

OB1
I hated them even when I was little. I was like "Hey I love Ewoks... but this isn't very Star Wars-like at all".

A Black Falcon
True, it wasn't very Star Wars-like. But still... I like Ewoks...

OB1
But the movies sucked...

A Black Falcon
I don't remember details. I think I might have seen only one of them, or both, I don't know, and it was at least the better part of 10 years ago and I only saw it or them once...

OB1
They sucked.

A Black Falcon
Willow, however, was awesome. :)

OB1
That's because Lucas wrote and produced it.

Great Rumbler
I never saw the Ewok movies...

OB1
You're lucky.

A Black Falcon
I know, that's why I mentioned it... :)

The Dark Crystal is totally different but for some reason when I think of Willow I also think of it...

OB1
Labirynth has a closer connection to Willow than Dark Crystal does. Lucas wrote and produced Willow and also produced Labirynth. Although Jim Henson did both Labirynth and Dark Crystal, so there's that connection. :D I love those movies.

Did you know that Terry Jones wrote Labirynth?

A Black Falcon
Labyrinth... that's a very different movie...

And I think Dark Crystal and Willow (and the Ewoks movies) probably because all of them have small-sized beings as the main characters... :)

http://www.theforce.net/books/bookschedule.shtml

Hmm, looks like lots of Ep2-3 Clone Wars-era books... for the year of '04 I see just one "modern" (ie post-NJO) novel... but it's Timothy Zahn so it should be good. :)

OB1
Labirynth is awesome. Jim Henson+George Lucas+David Bowie+Terry Jones = the coolest friggin movie ever made. Ever.

Almost.

A Black Falcon
I saw it once, years back, but I remember it being good... I don't remember it like Dark Crystal or Willow though.

OB1
It's a more light-hearted movie. A musical of sorts. But it kicks all kinds of ass.

A Black Falcon
The Dark Crystal is pretty dark, but probably my favorite of the three...

OB1
Nah, Willow is the best.

A Black Falcon
They're both good. But Dark Crystal is a bit cooler.

OB1
Nah, Willow is the best.

A Black Falcon
You're just saying that because its Lucas! :)

OB1
No it's because Willow is the best.

Great Rumbler
You're just saying that because its Lucas!

It's because it has midgets.

OB1
That is correct.

A Black Falcon
Real midgets are better than puppet midgets?

OB1

maybe...

Great Rumbler
Depends...

OB1
On supanity.

Great Rumbler
Yeah, supanity plays a big role in all that. As does, pharamornue. Those things make a difference.

OB1
Well, I gotta admit that it has more to do with the burtaardingsain than anything else.

Ryan
..................................Nigga please!

Great Rumbler
I will cut you, fool!

Dark Lord Neo
I've been thinking about starting to read them, I almost bought the first one when it was a hardcover but I didn't have enough money.
I like the Star Wars books but they aren't top priority for me so I haven't really kept track of them. I tend to like origional books more, and Star Trek.

A Black Falcon
The Star Trek books aren't as good, not even close... they are mostly just standalone adventures, not a continuous story like the Star Wars books are...

OB1
They brought back Kirk in the Trek books.

A Black Falcon
After he died in Generations? How?

If they did though SW did something kind of like that, with explaining how Boba Fett didn't die in the Sarlaac...

OB1
I dunno, I just read the back of the books at my local Barnes and Noble.

A Black Falcon
Weird.

Great Rumbler
He got killed by ROCKS!!!

A Black Falcon
You didn't like Generations, then?

Great Rumbler
It was an okay Star Trek movie but...HE GOT KILLED BY ROCKS!!!

A Black Falcon
Well he had to go somehow... hey, Tasha Yar and Jadzia Dax didn't exactly have great deaths either!

Dark Lord Neo
After he died in Generations? How?

If they did though SW did something kind of like that, with explaining how Boba Fett didn't die in the Sarlaac...
First, William Shatner wrote the book, if they killed my character in a show off and I also happened to be an author I'd try to think of some creative way to undo it

In the book The Return the Borg and Romulans form and Alliance, and they steal kirks body from the planet it was left on. They then resurect him using Borg technology and use him as an agent to attack the federation.
In later books in the series he begins fighting Emperor Tiberius from the mirror universe, who has once again taken over that universe and now wants to take over the other one

Great Rumbler
if they killed my character in a show off and I also happened to be an author I'd try to think of some creative way to undo

Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock

OB1
But good, since Generations sucked.

A Black Falcon
In some ways even Insurrection was better...

OB1
Yeah. Insurrection isn't terrible, it's just not that great. It's like one big episode of TNG. It simply wasn't movie-worthy.

A Black Falcon
Yeah. It definitely felt like a long episode...

Great Rumbler
Star Trek 6 is a good movie. Just thought I'd bring that up since I finally got to see it last night.

A Black Falcon
Yes, it's a great movie... maybe the best...

Great Rumbler
I still think Star Trek 4 is the best one.

A Black Falcon
6 is better. But it's so close between 2, 4, and 6...

Ryan
2 is the undisputed champion, followed by 6, 4, 8, 7, 3, 10, 1, 9, and 5.

Great Rumbler
KAAAAAHHHHHNNNNN!!!

OB1
I got the Trek VI SE DVD last week. Great special features including a wonderful tribute to DeForest Kelly.

A Black Falcon
Cool, did they change the movie much?

Great Rumbler
Huh?

A Black Falcon
Its a "directors' cut" sort of, I heard they made a few small changes. :)

OB1
Very minor changes.

Great Rumbler
It certaintly wasn't anything like Star Wars SE.