View Thread : EA talks about "Goldeneye 2"

Great Rumbler
In the midst of touting 007: Everything or Nothing, Electronic Arts made a few mentions about a "top secret" Goldeneye 2 game that is in development. The news came from EA's President, John Riccitiello. "We are developing GoldenEye 2 (working title), a game where players become the ultimate villain in the Bond universe." Goldeneye 2 will be an adventure about the dark side of the 007 underworld. The main character is an agent who was going to join the MI6 but was dismissed for reckless brutality. He has since joined ranks with the super-villain Auric Goldfinger to gain control of the world's greatest criminal organization.

Some have been expecting this new Goldeneye to be the sequel to the fantasticly-popular Goldeneye 007 for Nintendo 64. Of course, it won't be handled by the same people as the original, as Rare now only develops for Xbox. It won't even be handled by Free Radical, the development team that split from some of former Rare employees and is now working with EA. Instead, EA's new Los Angeles studio will develop the title.

There's a lot of remaining questions about whether this truly is a sequel to the N64 hit, but we'll see what it's about at E3. Goldeneye 2 is for multiple consoles (not all?) and will be released during the 2004 Holiday season. They haven't specifically said GameCube will be getting it, but that'd be a travesty for sequel to the N64 game not to.

N-Philes (http://www.n-philes.com/php/epzzakzzklazklyazka.php)

OB1
Haha, and DJ and Derek called me stupid for thinking it was true.

*does the "I'm right again" dance*

alien space marine
EA = Gay!

Great Rumbler
No. EA = Electronic Arts!

OB1
Yeah that makes more sense.

A Black Falcon
Why should you be happy they are making some stupid sequel to a classic?

OB1
Wha? I think it's a dumb idea. I'm just happy that I was right. :D

A Black Falcon
You shouldn't be... :)

Great Rumbler
OB1: Dude, the Titanic is totally going to hit an iceberg and sink.

Everyone else: Yeah right! It's unsinkable!

Titanic: *hits iceberg and sinks*

OB1: *does the "I was right" dance*

OB1
Hahaha, that's probably what would happen. :lol:

I smell a new comic!

Great Rumbler
I smell a new comic!

Could be! :D

OB1
*waits*

Great Rumbler
Umm...

OB1
*patiently waits*

*plays with thumbs*

Great Rumbler
I've got finish the storyline that I'm on now before I can anything else.

A Black Falcon
GR's example is along the lines of what I was thinking. :)

Dark Jaguar
Along the lines, but not exactly what I'm thinking...

I notice the article says nothing about time travel, so neither of us were completely right, but not completley wrong either. I specifically stated the main thing that made me think it wasn't true was the whole time travel deal, because it seemed way too out there. Guess EA thought so too. So, the whole leaked rumor was wrong since the time travel deal isn't the case. However, the rumor was based in some truth because most of the rest came to pass. In any case, I don't want it. It won't suck as bad as the theoretical game I knew no one in their right minds would make, but I bet it'll still be kinda bad. Well, actually TWINE probably wasn't all that bad, but after GE and PD, it couldn't ever expect to measure up, especially with LOAD TIMES ON A CARTRIDGE.

OB1: Titanic will TOTALLY sink due to time travelling ice bergs!

Everyone else: No way!

Titanic: *sinks due to normal ice berg*

OB1: See? I was totally right!

Everyone: So you were! We wonder why we ever doubted you!

There, THAT'S what happened.

OB1
Uh, I never said that there was going to be a time travel aspect to it. I just said that GE2 is being developed. I posted the Nintendojo article because I didn't want to type what was said in the back in EGM.

Dark Jaguar
I was disagreeing with the entire article as presented due to the time travel aspect. The possibility of it existing without time travel was much more likely yes, that I would have believed I think. However, that article didn't say it wouldn't have time travel, that it would. I take each story I read all or none unless the qualifyer of "maybe" is involved regarding some element. It's irresponsible not to. Now, you were only arguing for it's existance, okay then. That's well and good, and you had some other article just stating it existed. I hadn't seen that, and was ONLY addressing what I saw. It still stands, since that's what most people reading that thread saw and they took the time travel as part of the main article.

No matter, at any rate I'll make it clear I was never saying "you are wrong" because I honestly wasn't debating with you. I was arguing with the article itself, VIA you. You were a 3rd party, unimportant, not the subject of interest.

OB1
Nintendojo was the only site that reported on the rumor, and then EGM confirmed it.

Darunia
Goldeneye 2 will be an adventure about the dark side of the 007 underworld. The main character is an agent who was going to join the MI6 but was dismissed for reckless brutality. He has since joined ranks with the super-villain Auric Goldfinger to gain control of the world's greatest criminal organization.

What the FUCK does ANY of that have to do with GoldenEye? IT seems to me that they're only stealing the name to generate hype and cash in on the greatness of the Rare megaclassic. Those souless bastards should die for this. EA can't make a good Bond game--it's a documented fact. This is tactless and vile, and I condemn them for it.

Dark Jaguar
Right, like you have any authority whatsoever to condemn anyone for anything. Remember your place!

Great Rumbler
Yeah, they're only using the name to cash in on it.

Dark Jaguar
Quite so, unless there's another Goldeneye weapon system involved, in which case it's worse.

Really though, I wonder if that'll actually be the name of the game in the end anyway.

A Black Falcon
Yes, it's a blatant moneymaking ploy that will probably have very little to do with Goldeneye. They just want that name. Oh and did I ever say I thought this game wouldn't be made? I don't think so...