View Thread : Street Racing Syndicate to be released on GC

Great Rumbler
UPDATE: In a phone conversation with Mika Kelly, a Public Relations Manager with Namco Hometek, it has been confirmed to Nintendophiles that SRS is indeed coming to the Nintendo GameCube.

Nintendophiles can also now confirm the official name for the title. First known as Street Racing Syndicate, it will now be marketed as SRS, a slight but subtle change.

We at Nintendophiles wish to apologize for posting incorrect information, but we simply posted the information that was given to us from Namco’s PR representation. It seems that SRS’ GameCube release caused much confusion for those involved.

Expect more on SRS on Nintendophiles as it reaches closer to release.

Original Post:
Despite an update of screenshots for the game that you may have seen in the morning on our site, Ahmed Abowath (PR Director) has since informed all of us other staff members of something we didn’t previously know: Namco’s Street Racing Syndicate is no longer coming to GCN.

"SRS will be available for PS2 and Xbox, not the GameCube" says a Namco representative. Well, it doesn’t get much clearer than that. We regret getting everyone’s hopes up that did see the article. Rest assured that this was a new development and we got caught off guard.

Street Racing Syndicate is similar to Need for Speed: Underground with a heavy focus on the culture of illegal racing. Namco purchased the title from 3DO last year. It takes place across three cities including Philadelphia, Miami and Los Angeles. It will be released on PS2 and Xbox in Q3 2004.

We don’t have any reason to pass along about why the game isn’t coming to GameCube (3DO was working on it for GCN) and it’s unfortunate to see since Nintendo and Namco have been closely working together recently.

N-Philes (http://www.n-philes.com/php/epzzfffpaefkyfeukfk.php)

OB1
Woo?

Great Rumbler
Well, I guess it is if you like racing games.

I'm trying to post as much Nintendo related stuff as I can because those big babies are whining about how we hardly ever talk about Nintendo news anymore.

OB1
Yeah, tell me about it!!

Wait that was me...

OB1
Oh wait, you meant Fittsy and EM. This is all I have to say about that:

http://www.internetcash.com/en/images/baby-crying.jpg

Great Rumbler
They just don't have a sense of humor, those guys.

OB1
They're pretty cute babies, though.

big guy
that first post in here confused the hell out of me...first it was like "the games coming" then it was like "the game's not coming" and then i was like "is the game coming or not coming?" and i was so confused...then i looked at it again and realized that the stuff at the top was new and the stuff at the bottom was old and i said "oh, it IS coming"

Great Rumbler
Yes, it is coming.

OB1
Or is it....

Great Rumbler
Yeah, it is.

OB1
Or IS it...

Great Rumbler
Yes.

OB1
Or IS it??!!

Great Rumbler
YES!!!

OB1
okay...

A Black Falcon
But does anyone care is the question...

OB1
Not me...

big guy
no, but i'm glad i finally know it's coming.

Great Rumbler
I don't really care...

OB1
Oh wait, SRS is that racing game 3DO was working on? I heard it was looking pretty cool.

Great Rumbler
It IS being made by Namco...

OB1
Originally 3DO was developing it.

Great Rumbler
Yeah.

A Black Falcon
Racing games with real cars interest me less. :D
:

Great Rumbler
:confused2

OB1
He only likes futuristic racers, remember?

big guy
i'm just glad i now know whether it's coming to GC or not...which it is...coming to gamecube...and i'm glad i know that.

OB1
I'm glad that you're glad.

Great Rumbler
I'm glad that you're glad that he's glad.

OB1
Well... I'm not glad about that.

Great Rumbler
Well I'm not glad that...oh forget it.

OB1
Yeah.

A Black Falcon
Not ONLY futuristic racers... just in general I like them more. :)

OB1
Right, I forgot about crappy arcade racers like Cruisin' USA. :p

A Black Falcon
Those games are fine but I was thinking more of games like Moto Racer, or the first two Rush games (the third is futuristic), or Excitebike, or Micro Machines, etc... arcadish but not futuristic racers. :)

Great Rumbler
Cruisin' World was fun if you had some friends playing with you.

big guy
i'm still glad

Great Rumbler
That's good.

A Black Falcon
I haven't really played the Cruis'n games on N64, just CUISA once in 1997 or so. I mostly speak of them from playing them in arcades -- and seeing how between the three they're probably the most common racing games in arcades in this country. I mean it seems like almost every arcade has at least one of the Cruis'n games... the Rush titles are a lot less common (though they are better games), but Cruis'n? Everywhere. That says that the series was successful in arcades. Now at home I have no idea, quite possibly not as much, but in arcades it was definitely successful and the Cruis'n games are fun in an arcade setting.

On that note most racing games are better in arcades... Hydro Thunder is very cool there, Arctic Thunder has that cold wind it blows on you, etc...

Oh, anyone played Ballistic's arcade game? SO COOL! You kind of lie back in this long chair in a big machine and it's a racing game where you go through tubes... I played it once in an arcade in, I think, Virginia. Port of a PC game of the same name but in the arcade it's so awesome...