View Thread : Gamecubes selling like mad!

EdenMaster
Source: Planet GameCube (http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5081)

In an interesting turn of events, Nintendo of America today stated that its reservoir of GameCube consoles has nearly run dry. Nintendo news hounds may remember a time when Nintendo discontinued their console’s production in order to clear a backlog of unsold systems. It seems last year’s price cut certainly did the trick! NOA is now looking to acquire more units from international waters.

Store shelves are just running very dry," Nintendo spokeswoman Perrin Kaplan told Reuters. "I'd say about 50 percent of our stores are out."

Perrin assured Reuters that Nintendo has brought its manufacturing plant in Japan to full capacity to meet the demand in North America.

Well hot damn! Looks like people are finally starting to see the Nintendo Difference...well, probably more like the Price Difference :). Still, good to see the system is selling.

OB1
Let's hope they can replenish their stock while people are still hungry for GC-lovin'!

Dark Jaguar
Dang it, I was going to make a funny joke about how Nintendo's "difference" is about $50 to $75, a math joke, but then you went and made a similar one!

EdenMaster
Bwa-haha! I out-funnied you!

Great Rumbler
That's cool that so many people want GCs.

alien space marine
I thought about it. But hell I needed a DVD player so i got a xbox.

OB1

You can get a better DVD player than the X-Box for $50.

Dark Jaguar
Eh, so it's got some nicer... I dunno color swashing or whatever. It's a 2D image, there's not much in the way of features that can be added. I mean, VCRs advertise all manner of features, but they're all the same in the end.

OB1
DVD quality differs greatly from model to model. The X-Box and PS2 players are about as bad as you can get. And there's not much in the way of features that can be added? Ever heard of progressive scan support? Component output, DVI output, and then there are region free players, which also differ from each other depending on if they can do proper anamorphic PAL to NTSC conversion. It definitely isn't like how it was with VCRs. Not even among cheap players.

Ryan
I wish people would start buying Cubes from my store. While we're always running out of PS2s and Xbox's, we still have about 40 Cubes, some of which have been around for over two years. We DID sell a lot over the holidays, but very few since.

Dark Jaguar
I don't play PAL movies, and likely never will (unless some Mr Bean DVD collection set is only released in Europe, that guy is FUNNY), so that last one is out. The rest are nice only if you have a TV that can support it, which I don't. I can see your point there but that stuff only applies if I ever decide to get a really expensive high quality TV.

One last thing, can't I get my DVD drive on my PC to do each and every single one of those things? I'll just slap a big magnifying glass on the front and... :D

OB1
I don't play PAL movies, and likely never will (unless some Mr Bean DVD collection set is only released in Europe, that guy is FUNNY), so that last one is out. The rest are nice only if you have a TV that can support it, which I don't. I can see your point there but that stuff only applies if I ever decide to get a really expensive high quality TV.

That is not true. PAL and region-free support are one thing, but the quality in sound and picture vary greatly from model to model, the PS2 being the absolute worst you can get. You can improve things by getting better cables (the RCA cables that come bundled with the PS2 and X-Box are terrible), but it's still going to look worse than even a $50 Apex. And the one thing I mentioned that will only concern you if you get an HDTV is progressive scan support. Even with regular tvs you will see a great different in picture and sound if you upgrade to s-video or component cables (which most tvs over 25 inches support today).

One last thing, can't I get my DVD drive on my PC to do each and every single one of those things? I'll just slap a big magnifying glass on the front and...

If you have the proper software, yeah pretty much.

A Black Falcon
Nice to see despite the distinct lack of much of anything so far this year...

alien space marine
I honnestly dont give a damn if the DVD is better seperately , the xbox player is good enough and I find it runs better then the ps2 one.

Great Rumbler
Don't you have to buy one of those remote control things for XBox before you can watch DVDs?

OB1
Yeah, and it's $30. ASM, it's dumb of you to buy an X-Box over a GC because it plays DVDs. The X-Box costs $180 plus $30 for the remote, which is $110 more than a GC. You can buy a GC and a cheap DVD player for a total of $150.

Great Rumbler
This is true.

OB1
That's my line! ... which I stole from a friend...

Great Rumbler
Oh yeah? Well I stole it from your MOM!! Hahahaha..haha...ah...

OB1
My mom never says that...

Great Rumbler
:confused2

OB1
:erm:

Great Rumbler
:shake:

OB1
:what:

Sacred Jellybean
I think this is the first time in history that OB1 and Grumbler's irrelevant banter hasn't annoyed me and, in fact, actually made me crack a smile. :erm:

OH DEAR GOD WHATS THIS WORLD COMING TO?!?!?!?!? :hmm:

OB1
*bows*

We please to aim... and aim to please.

Sacred Jellybean
You stole the "please to aim" line from Grumbler!!!!11!1

*beats OB1 to a bloody... I mean... meaty pulp*

Sacred Jellybean
God dammit, stop editing your post! And I will too... *

*No.

OB1
:evilha:

OB1
You stole the "please to aim" line from Grumbler!!!!11!1

*beats OB1 to a bloody... I mean... meaty pulp*

That's because he stole my line, bubba!

Sacred Jellybean
:violin:

alien space marine
Yeah, and it's $30. ASM, it's dumb of you to buy an X-Box over a GC because it plays DVDs. The X-Box costs $180 plus $30 for the remote, which is $110 more than a GC. You can buy a GC and a cheap DVD player for a total of $150.

Your not talking in canadian dollars , The gamecube is 130 $ (some places 140)plus tax and that cheap dvd player is like 70-80 bucks if you can find a good store. I got a Bundle were I got 2 games and if I got the remote I could get a 3rd game free so its not a bad deal since 3 games is around 150 bucks and When i traded in my old ps2 games and the machine and all the preperals it cut the cost by 150 bucks so it was a great deal!

Why should I get a Gamecube? With exceptions of RE games I dont really have much interest in anything else .

OB1
It doesn't matter which currency I'm using as after conversion it's all basically the same price. The X-Box is $80 (US) more expensive than the GC, so with that much money saved you can get a cheap DVD player.

And what GC games are there worth getting? More than there are on the X-Box, that's for sure. Do I really have to list them all out?

Dark Jaguar
My TV only supports full rich mono and standard AV cables, so no I haven't noticed any difference in quality. I'll just get a decent player for my computer if I really want some sort of vast improvement I suppose. Again, to really get the experience I'll just melt a sandbox into glass and polish it into a giant lens so I can get myself a full screen TV... in a manner of speaking :D.

I'll just stick with my DVD drive and PS2 because, well, I have no reason not to. Yes, it IS obviously dumb to get a game system, even the Q, ONLY for DVD playback, but for me the DVD playback was incidental. That in mind, it's cheaper to use what I already have than to buy something brand new. I also don't ever plan on buying those remote kits when my PS2 cord is plenty long enough for where I usually am when watching DVDs.

TVs are expensive. My computer moniter is the only old thing on my computer at the moment because good ones cost about as much as what I paid for every other part of my computer. If it's good enough, I kinda stick with it if the upgrade is just too expensive.

Great Rumbler
My TV supports S-Video which is the kind of cable I use for my systems [universal S-Video cable, btw] and my DVD player is built into my TV so it's as good as it's going to get.

OB1
Well yeah if you have a bad tv then it doesn't really matter what kind of DVD player you use. Although the PS2 has trouble reading certain DVDs...

And tvs aren't too expensive. I paid $220 for a new 25 incher.

A Black Falcon
But I don't have much money and of several TVs we only have one that has AV in (not counting the ones on VCRs)... sure a nicer TV would be better but spending money for another one when we have some that work seems silly.

OB1
Well it all depends on how much quality video means to you.

How big is it?

A Black Falcon
At home (where I am now) our main one is 27" I think... and better quality would be nice but it's not worth it when we already have tvs...

big guy
i bought a gamecube once

OB1
At home (where I am now) our main one is 27" I think... and better quality would be nice but it's not worth it when we already have tvs...

How old is it?

A Black Falcon
There's our ... aging ... one that size in a massive wooden box with mono sound (one speaker!) connected to game systems via a VCR... :)

The newer one is a few years old now. It's nicest feature isn't the AV in, it's the headphone jack...