View Thread : LCD screen...

Dark Jaguar
Well, oddly enough, my littlest brother and sister pair have managed to combine forces to actually break a GBA. Specifically, the one I gave them with the light in it after I got my own SP. After opening it, I saw the screen actually shattered from some really sharp impact from the back. From the looks of it, it was on the floor and one of them stepped on it in some really hard really pointy way. As expected, the light that was put into it was not what did it in. Well, anyway it seems the screen isn't actually soldered into the GBA, but rather plugs in nice and neatly. So, searching around I found some sites USED to sell GBA screens, but no longer.

Oh well, anyway the REST of the system works perfectly fine, including the light (it's surprising how far you can get into a game by sound alone). So, if I can get ahold of another broken system somehow someway, that's broken in some OTHER way, I can just take the working screen out and fix the problem. Honestly I'm just surprised that the GBA finally met it's match not in me, but in... THEM.

Great Rumbler
Ah, the joys of having younger siblings...

OB1
Call Nintendo support. I think they sell spare LCD screens. Or ask them how much it would cost to get it fixed. My sister's GC broke and they fixed it for free.

Dark Jaguar
Well, they fixed that for free because it was under warrentee. I got mine fixed for free too when the laser got misaligned at some point (well, it was actually replaced outright). Guess what? Not only is this GBA long over the warrentee time limit, it's also be voided in a very obvious way, by the carving of the plastic I needed to do (and it DID take a while thank you) to get the light guide to fit inside the case.

Unfortunatly, Nintendo does not sell spare LCD screens to the public, and they don't plan on it for the same reasons they don't sell lots of spare parts that would require us to open up our systems. They don't want us inside those things, period. They DO sell replacement screen covers, i.e., those transparent plastic guards most people mistake for the actual top of the screen itself, which is great except I wish they would sell the ones the GBASP uses as well (different shape you see), though honestly I have yet to scratch even the one mine came with. Here's the thing. There's a REASON sites USED to sell those screens but don't any more. Nintendo is shutting down all the channels the sites had to buy these screens from. Nintendo REALLY doesn't like it when people get the stuff they want legally but without paying for all the stuff Nintendo wants them to pay for to get it. Oh yes, the repair price if I were to send it in now would be rather high, like almost the price of just buying a new GBA outright.

Anyway, I'll just go about my plan. No biggy. It was their own system to do with as they wanted. Too bad it turned out their choice was to leave it on the floor and accidently step on it.

OB1
Her GC wasn't under warrantee anymore, but they still fixed it.

Dark Jaguar
I guess you tricked them well enough. Wouldn't work with the GBA though. It's physically altered so they'd know.

Geno
Another reason I'm glad to be the youngest child. I never let my cousins near any of my video games or systems.

Dark Jaguar
I don't follow... It wasn't even my system. I GAVE it to them. They don't play with my stuff unless I let them.

OB1
I guess you tricked them well enough. Wouldn't work with the GBA though. It's physically altered so they'd know.

I had nothing to do with it. This sister lives in Virginia. She called up Nintendo, said the system is broken and that the warrantee expired, but they fixed it anyhow.

Although yes since your GBA is modified you won't be able to get it fixed from them.

Dark Jaguar
Odd, why would they do that? Don't say "because they care" because this is NOA we're talking about here.

OB1
I have no idea why they did it.

Dark Jaguar
Hmm, I got it. It's because the people answering the phones are paid like $5 an hour! That's not enough for them to actually go through the effort of getting proof of warrentee for every single call. I wouldn't know how much proof they ask for because when I called to get mine repaired, the GCN wasn't even out as long as the warrentee would be in effect so logic alone would tell them I was under it.

OB1
This was only a few months ago, and she was asked if the warrantee was still valid.

Dark Jaguar
Then as I said I can only imagine it was sheer laziness.

OB1
Or a nice customer service person. They might exist!

Dark Jaguar
Risking their own job to be nice? Besides, that's only nice to the person at the other end. It's stealing from Nintendo. Anyone that nice wouldn't do something like that for that reason. It COULD be some sort of rebel punk who is forced to take a low paying job like that but justified it because it's like "tearing the establishment down from the inside", you know, just before the person goes home to the aunt they moved in with when they came to that town thinking they would be able to do something with their life.

OB1
I'd hardly call getting a six month-old system (that broke for no apparent reason) fixed from the company that made it "stealing". Perhaps Nintendo is more lenient when it comes to newer systems that just ran out their warrantee.

Dark Jaguar
Only 6 months? Don't Nintendo's systems have a year long warrentee for the consoles, or 9 months? I forget. I know games and accessories only last 3 months, but I remember reading that the warrentee for the consoles lasts a lot longer.

geoboy
Think of it as receiving a free gift from the world's 377th richest man. :D

OB1
I forgot how long the warrantee lasts, but it ran out just before the system flat out stopped working.

Dark Jaguar
Hey where's that Peter Griffin? He said he'd pay me 100 bucks if I took off all my clothes off. *collapses in a millisecond*