View Thread : It was...

Ryan
...a record-breaking 82 degrees here today. Spring has never felt so damned sexy before!

Dark Jaguar
The heat is really starting up around here. That shouldn't be... I fear for what the Summer temps will be.

Great Rumbler
It rained here yesterday.

Fittisize
It's supposed to be -20 tomorrow. :(

Geno
I can finally stop carrying that damn jacket around! And I think the rain's finally starting to calm down. All throughout late 2003 and early 2004, we've had one rainy day/night after another! We did have a drought in 2002, but I'd say we've made up for it by now. I'm surprised we haven't had a flood yet.

Ryan
It's supposed to be -20 tomorrow. :(
:evilha:

A Black Falcon
It's been in the 40s for the last few days... :( I wish it was colder.

Fittisize
Well there's plenty of cold up here!

A Black Falcon
And I want SNOW! After that huge snowfall in December we've had just sporadic snows... this isn't an especially good winter, for sure. It's not horrible but it's warmer than usual and there isn't as much snow...

Fittisize
It snowed on Moday and Tuesday..

Fittisize
Or, I should say: it snowed Monday morning to Tuesday afternoon

Dark Jaguar
Here's why. Ya see, I found this bandage here... Now, this bandage doesn't actually mean anything, but nothing else holds together without it so keep it in mind. Okay, also, I found this thing here, that could be a door stop, or ALSO, a paper weight. Ya don't know. And here's this thing. I have no idea what this is, but I thought it could be like, a little mouse helmet. Now, that sounds crazy I know so I asked the mice about it, and um... they didn't say nothin', they just ran the other way. So, I was pretty much fishing with the whole mouse helmet thing at first right, but now, you know, see, with the reaction I got, I figured there was something there so...

Ryan
ABF, if I could send you all the cold I'd ever feel, I'd do it airmail.

Long live 80 degree days!

Great Rumbler
I wish it was colder.

I'm glad it's not cold here.

Dark Jaguar
I hate those temps myself. You see, I think I know why. My mother, and her mother before her, are part penguin. They turn on the air conditioner in WINTER sometimes (though those are the days when the temps are actually hot out, but you know what I mean). I'm talking you open the fridge and feel no tempurature difference stuff here. I'm talking waking up shivering. I'm talking finding ice in the cat's water bowl. While the cold my mom loves is just TOO cold, I do prefer colder temps to warmer temps.

Great Rumbler
I'm like my mom, we both hate any temperatures even remotely cold.

Dark Jaguar
And yet, with that in mind pretty much everything we're used to here on Earth is remotely cold, considering how SO much closer we are to absolute zero than to the highest temp in the universe.

Sacred Jellybean
It's fucking awesome over here... walking around without a jacket feels soooo great.

Great Rumbler
And yet, with that in mind pretty much everything we're used to here on Earth is remotely cold, considering how SO much closer we are to absolute zero than to the highest temp in the universe.

You know what I mean!!

A Black Falcon
80 degrees is a midsummer day... this year is abnormally warm. :( I hope it doesn't carry over into summer (and remember, air conditioning is rare here... big stores have it, and occasionally someone will have a window box air conditioner, but central air? Just about never.)!

Great Rumbler
80 degrees is a near-perfect temperature if you ask me.

Ryan
80 degrees is a midsummer day... this year is abnormally warm. :( I hope it doesn't carry over into summer (and remember, air conditioning is rare here... big stores have it, and occasionally someone will have a window box air conditioner, but central air? Just about never.)!
You need AC when it's 80? Come on now. Even here, where the humidity makes everything seem a good 10-15 degrees warmer, one can get by at 80 without juicing the freon.

Pussies. :D

A Black Falcon
No not at 80, but if it's 80 in March... :)

80 is quite warm. By the mid 80's (well before, probably... but by then it's really hot...) I'm certainly wishing for AC... fans only help so much...

Oh and mid 80s IS very warm. I mean, over 90 is seriously hot here... it does reach that hot in summer but it's hardly normal.

Great Rumbler
90 degrees, please that is soooo weak. Try to live through the 100+ degree summers that we have here.

EdenMaster
I hate this town. Yesterday we broke the record temperature with high 70's. It was absolutely gorgeous. Today, the temps plummeted 40 degrees and rained. This place has a mind of it's own when it comes to the weather. Damned lake

*shakes fist at lake*

Oh, I can't stay mad at you!

A Black Falcon
It never reaches 100. 90 is really hot. And as Weltall can attest, it can get cool in summer sometimes... 50s in summer? Not exactly common but not unheard of either...

Great Rumbler
50 in the summer? I'm glad I don't live there.

Fittisize
90 degrees, please that is soooo weak. Try to live through the 100+ degree summers that we have here.

But like, how often do you go outside??

A Black Falcon
They stay in and turn up the AC. :)

Great Rumbler
Not very, if I can help it.

Ryan
I love going outside whenever the humidity is low enough to allow it.

Great Rumbler
They stay in and turn up the AC. :)

The AC doesn't help much when you're mowing [although it's a blessing when you're finished], plus I work at my family's cabinet shop which has no AC, but a few fans, some of the work is outside. Most of the time when I'm not doing any of that I stay inside under the air conditioner.

A Black Falcon
I'd hate living in the south (and yes DJ I'm including Oklahoma in the South. It's on the border and is close enough. :) )...

Dark Jaguar
Of course I turn up the "AC". It's there to keep us from dying. I avoid actually BEING in the extreme heat whenever possible.

MOW lawns GR? Just get an automated lawnmower.

It's not on the border ABF... Check your map... If you mean it borders the south, and thus you count it as south, then that means the state above it is also south because it's on the newfound border, and so on, and so on, until Canada is south.

A Black Falcon
Oklahoma is in the south. Oh sure it's in the central too, but it's also in the south... being next to several southern states and all...

Fittisize
I dont' mind heat...then again it rarely gets over 35...30 it's a real warm day, but on average, it's 25 degrees. (25=68 F for all you imperial users...stop living in the stone age and upgrade!).

I don't know why you biatches don't go outside more often in the summer...take up soccer, or something. It's a good sport.

Dark Jaguar
It's ALSO next to several northern states. Your "logic" is faulty and reveals your bias.

Ryan
I dont' mind heat...then again it rarely gets over 35...30 it's a real warm day, but on average, it's 25 degrees. (25=68 F for all you imperial users...stop living in the stone age and upgrade!).

I don't know why you biatches don't go outside more often in the summer...take up soccer, or something. It's a good sport.
I would like for you to spend one month here in the summer. And I'd like to see you, just once, try to play a game of soccer in the dead of July in Richmond, Virginia. You'd be on the ground wheezing in an hour. If 70 degrees is the worst you have to deal with, you ain't seen nothin' yet, baby. Here, on a good night, it might get as low as 70 around 4 in the morning. Of course, with the humidity, it may as well be 85.

And, that aside, soccer is for kids. People here play it, but by the time high school is over, we've realized that it's a crappy game and we graduate to something that isn't boring to watch.

A Black Falcon
25 is 68. 30 is ... um in the 80s? 35 is really hot.

And soccer is a lot of fun to play when you are younger, I played it until I was in 8th grade (town rec league)... but yeah mostly kids play it. Still, it is a good sport... though it's more fun to watch when the players are good and the American leagues still don't have very good players... :)

Ryan
I remember when we were a factor in the last World Cup, there was a sudden, brief interest in soccer. Then we lost, and we got over it.

A Black Falcon
We've won the Women's World Cup twice.

Fittisize
I would like for you to spend one month here in the summer. And I'd like to see you, just once, try to play a game of soccer in the dead of July in Richmond, Virginia. You'd be on the ground wheezing in an hour. If 70 degrees is the worst you have to deal with, you ain't seen nothin' yet, baby. Here, on a good night, it might get as low as 70 around 4 in the morning. Of course, with the humidity, it may as well be 85.

Phh, I'm plenty accustomed to all forms of weather.

Soccer in humidity? Gimme a break. Provincials, last year. Forty degree weather EVERY day, humidity rating quite high. Result, provincial gold medal. BEST team in the province. Try playing in the snow, at barely zero degrees. (even though it's only happened once...and I doubt that you've ever been outside for more than ten minutes when it's snowing, in a t-shirt and shorts no less)

And speaking of soccer...it may be a boring sport to watch (the only games I ever watch are like, in the World Cup) it is an extremely fun sport to play. I dunno, pretty much everybody who doesn't like soccer has never played it before. And also those who don't like soccer and have played before most likely quit before turning 13, and even then played in a league where it's just, "everybody go out and have fun".

Soccer has nothing on hockey, though, which is the very best sport to play (and I've played at a competitive level in all the *major* sports except for football)

Fittisize
We've won the Women's World Cup twice.

I remember two summers ago the Women's U-19 World Cup was hosted in Edmonton, and I went and saw the semi-final and the gold medal matchup. Gold medal game was Canada (who's womens soccer is ranked about 50 spots higher then the men's national team) vs. USA, and it was an excellent match...1-0 in the second overtime for USA. 1-0 games can be very exciting, especially when it comes to overtime

A Black Falcon
Saying "30" "35" or "40" means very little to me... I know it's warm but how warm? I have no idea. :)

And soccer may not be the most thrilling sport to watch, but it's not super boring or anything... I don't watch it much but I don't watch any sports other than baseball much at all...

Dark Jaguar
40 is exactly 104 F, which I found on a convenient conversion scale.

A Black Falcon
So 35 is ~85... that's quite hot, especially to be doing any kind of outdoors activity in...

Fittisize
Well if you're outside lots then you become accustomed to it. :)

Fittisize
Hey, lookie the weather up here! Not only has it been raining and windy as a motherfucker nearly everyday since school ended on June 26 (it was quite warm the two days before, while I was in school writing finals), but the rain and weather got worse enough to cause hundreds of millions of dollars damage to the world's largest mall in Edmonton. I won't be doing much shopping there this summer. Check out how deep in water the cars are in the background of the picture.

<TABLE height=185 cellPadding=2 width=250 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2004/07/12/flood2.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://www.canoe.ca/CanoeGlobalnav/invisible.gif

A young girl wades out into the flood water in the West Edmonton Mall parking lot after a severe storm hit Edmonton. (CP PHOTO/Edmonton Sun-Jason Franson)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

About 20,000 people were forced from West Edmonton Mall yesterday, the first evacuation in its history, as overtaxed drains flooded much of the ground floor with thousands of gallons of water in a major rainstorm. The evacuation was described by some shoppers and staff as chaotic, but mall management insisted they got the public away from the affected area as quickly as they could.

"Everything just started popping at once. Nothing could hold it," said Gary Hanson, mall general manager, standing in a puddle and looking glumly over the swamped ice rink.

"We've got 1,200 drains here, and the water was probably overflowing in every one. Never seen anything like it."

Drains - like eavestroughs on a home - channel water from the massive mall's roof into city storm sewers. Those backed up. And, a large drainage trough above the rink's glass roof collapsed, sending yet another cascade of water down from above.

Hanson estimated the damage from the flooding at "hundreds of millions of dollars" to the $2.8-billion mall. He blamed the city's overloaded storm drain system.

Much of the mall's Phase 2 was under a foot and a half of water, but the centre of the damage was the indoor rink area. Observers described water pouring from the rink's glass roof "like a fountain."

One drain next to the rink turned into a geyser, forcing staff to smash out the glass panels surrounding the rink to let the water flow onto the ice. Nearby shops were swamped.

"That store there," said mall worker Dave, pointing to the Play Me video game outlet. "Game discs were floating all over the place. It was awesome."

The Brick furniture outlet was particularly hard-hit; company CEO Kim Yost said half the shop's display stock was on the lower floor.

"It's in six inches of water now," he said. "We could have half-a-million dollars worth of inventory lost."

Management shut down power in every part of the mall except Phase Three; staff were left mopping in semi-darkness.

The evacuation announcement was made at 4:35 p.m., but stragglers were still leaving the mall as late as 7:30 p.m.

Paramedics reported at least two people injuring themselves by slipping on the wet floors. Hanson said unflooded "portions" of the mall, started in 1981 and completed in 1998, will be open today.

Great Rumbler
Hundreds of millions of dollars?! That's insane!! Oh wait...Canadian dollars, right.

"That store there," said mall worker Dave, pointing to the Play Me video game outlet. "Game discs were floating all over the place. It was awesome."

Oh the humanity!!

Dark Jaguar
First off, BE sorry, advertisements SUCK. Second off, you could have just deleted the code in your post to get rid of it.

Yeah, the employees of these places don't care at all, half of them WANT some horrible thing to happen to where they work, because the fate of the store itself is of NO concern to them at all.

Fittisize
HEY! Somebody deleted the ad!

Dark Jaguar
Yes, that was me, because you said you couldn't figure out how.

Fittisize
That doesn't mean I still didn't want it there

Fittisize
Yeah, the employees of these places don't care at all, half of them WANT some horrible thing to happen to where they work, because the fate of the store itself is of NO concern to them at all.
What? What about the money that they make from working at the store? That's a concern.

A Black Falcon
A lot of employees still hate the place that they work... especially in dead-end retail jobs like that...

Dark Lord Neo
Lol, Play Me lost alot of game disks, serves them right. They charge $50 for Players Choice PSX games that cost $20 everywhere else. They charge extremely high prices for used games aswell, and most of them aren't in very good condition.

EdenMaster
Turn them into the <a href="http://www.bbb.com">Better Business Bureau</a> (or whatever similar organization Canada may have). If the company making the games places the price at $20, and the retail outlet sells them for $50, that's illegal. They're making extra profit which they shouldn't be. Bring their asses down HARD!

We here in PA usually don't have extreme temperatures, our problem is totally random weather fluctuations and abnormally long winters. Seriously, I've seen this town be sunny and warm in the morning, storm like the apocalypse for a few hours, then return to peaceful tranquility by dusk. It's because we live so close to Lake Erie, it screws everything up.

As for abnormally long winters, it's not at all uncommon to have snow on the ground for Halloween and have it stay there until mid-April. It's snowed here in May before too.

Why can't we have a normal climate!? Why, WHY?!?!

:explode:

Great Rumbler

Join the club. Here in Oklahoma we have sweltering and extremely long summers with temperatures above 100 degrees and sometimes even above 110 degrees [though it's very rare]. Also, a day can start out really nice and sunny and then before you know it a tornado is carrying your house away. On the flip side, we have short, mild winters where, if we're lucky, we'll get snow once a year and it might last as long as three days.

Dark Lord Neo
Turn them into the <a href="http://www.bbb.com">Better Business Bureau</a> (or whatever similar organization Canada may have). If the company making the games places the price at $20, and the retail outlet sells them for $50, that's illegal. They're making extra profit which they shouldn't be. Bring their asses down HARD!
It's not illegal, it's just immoral. The Better Buisness Bureau is bias anyways, since it's made up of a bunch of buisnesses they usually find some excuse as to why somthing is that way. It's the whole supply and demand thing, if people are willing to pay that much for somthing then it's that persons problem. It's just some people are too stupid to check other gaming stores like EB and have only looked there and at Wal-Mart wich doesn't really have any more PSX games. The only time they get in trouble is if they are selling things way below cost and another buisness complains to the Federal Trade Commision or whatever it's called because they think they are doing it just to capture the market then they raise the prices. This happens more frequently when an American company is trying to capture market share from a Canadian company. Well that store got what it diserved anyways.

Because we've screwed up our planet

Dark Jaguar
That's right, it's not illegal at all. Immoral? Well, possibly... but that might be a stretch. As you said, if people are WILLING to pay the price for something, then by definition, that something is worth that price. Worth is not something that's set in stone or somehow measurable outside human opinion. Worth, worldwide worth, is determined by the average of the worldwide opinion of what something is worth. Just as a reminder, gold does NOT determine the worth of money in the US. It USED to, until it was realized that gold itself does not have a set worth and it's value is merely set by human opinion as well, so they cut out the middle man and just made money worth what people think it's worth. That's right, the value of money is entirely determined by the value people put on it. It's like Santa Claus in a way... :D

So, if the majority of people are willing to pay $20 for a CD, then it is NOT overpriced, and in fact the CD is therefor ACTUALLY worth that price. If you want the price to change, the majority of people's opinions on what it's worth has to change, and recently for CDs anyway it has.

Geno
Price is also determined by the price it takes to produce something and market it and distribute it and all that other marketing shizzle. Though obviously, scarcity and want are bigger factors in pricing than need. (Which is why diamonds cost more than water.)

Great Rumbler
(Which is why diamonds cost more than water.)

And air.

Dark Jaguar
No, that's incorrect actually.

The Virtual Boy was originally released to cover costs, but the want for it was so low the price soon dropped to far too low to cover costs. Obviously, the product was cancelled, but my point is that the only way to clear store shelves was to lower the price to something people were willing to pay.

Diamonds are worth more than water because people consider diamonds to be more valuable. The reasons why are irrelevent for this. Allow me to explain an exreme example. Let us assume you are stranded in the desert. Now then, you have a bag of diamonds, and suddenly a total arse shows up and will give you a flask of water for the price of those diamonds. While you may think the guy is a jerk and it's highway robbery, the fact of the matter is you WILL make that transaction and thus water WAS more valuable than diamonds at that very moment.

Need, scarcity, costs of manufacturing, these all may help people to determine worth for themselves, but they are not the deciding factors in any sense. The only deciding factor is the person's own opinion.

A Black Falcon
Which is why money is worth anything.

alien space marine
(bored)

Who gives a fuck!

Geno
Yeah, this debate is getting a bit too technical for the topic we're discussing.

EdenMaster
Let us assume you are stranded in the desert. Now then, you have a bag of diamonds, and suddenly a total arse shows up and will give you a flask of water for the price of those diamonds. While you may think the guy is a jerk and it's highway robbery, the fact of the matter is you WILL make that transaction and thus water WAS more valuable than diamonds at that very moment.

I'll knock him out, take his water and my diamonds, and follow his footprints back to civilization.

Fittisize
You probably wouldn't have the energy to knock him out if you are willing to trade a bag of diamonds for water.

Geno
Yeah, and his footprints wouldn't stay in the sand for very long.

Great Rumbler
Then why's he willing to trade his water for diamonds?

Geno
Because he's a prop for making a point, not a third dimensional character with common sense and real needs and emotions.

Yeah... I've had too many debates on television shows.

Ryan
You probably wouldn't have the energy to knock him out if you are willing to trade a bag of diamonds for water.
Unless you pretended to be much closer to death than you really were. Plus, the human body does some extraordinary things when it is pushed to its limits.

Deception is music.