View Thread : A Real-Life Master Sword!

EdenMaster
Source: Planet GameCube (http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5102)

Do you pretend you are the Hero of Time in your sleep? Are you the biggest Zelda fan on the block? Well, take a gander at what this Zelda fan owns...

When we read that Paul Hantschel, one of our forum users, owns a real-life replica of the famous Master Sword from the Legend of Zelda series, we couldn’t just leave well enough alone. So we contacted Paul and asked for some details on his little artifact.

Mr. Hantschel emailed blacksmith Rob Miller of Castle Keep, located in Scotland, with the initial concept and original artwork. Around a week later, Rob responded and requested detailed dimensions for every aspect of Link’s Master Sword. After a ten-month wait period and a £1,800 transaction (around $3,300), Rob began work on the sword of legends.

The blacksmith provided updates of his progress during the one-and-a-half-month forging process. With them he included photographs of the sword, which Paul has graciously shared with PGC.

That’s one great sword, if you ask us! Paul agrees. “Now I've just got to go to my local gravestone peddler and get a Pedestal of Time made up!”

http://www.planetgamecube.com/media/gen001630.jpg

How fucking awesome is that??

A Black Falcon
I see a red X.

EdenMaster
I see a sword.

Whatever, click the link to see it in that case.

Great Rumbler
Awesome!!

EdenMaster
Isn't it! The hilt is really blue...but oh well! Minor detail!

*stares blankly at sword*

*cries, realizing I will never own one*

Dark Jaguar
Internet stability is coming in bursts for me today. Anyway, that site seems dead right now, so I'll look later. I'll only add I've seen things like this all over the place. Thing is, these replicas are generally mass produced somewhere and are as such very poor quality. Then again, considering the people who are buying these things, maybe it's best if these things can't cut through a tree in a single swipe.

A Black Falcon
Yeah, the link works... that's awesome...

Dark Jaguar
Okay, the site's working again. Okay, it's not just one of the mass produced replicas after all. It's hand forged by some well known blacksmith. Wow... Then it must be quality...

Now, just make a shield and a nice tunic and you have yourself a legendary warrior

Ryan
But can it repel evil?

If I ever strike it rich one day, I'll one-up him--Biggoron's Sword!

Dark Jaguar
That's got more striking damage sure, but it doesn't have any magical strength to it.

I'll find an evil swordsmith in feudal japan to forge an organic sword of pure evil, with an EYE on it. And um, when I take it it'll take the form of the weapon I am most skilled with, which turns out to be my big fat garfield stuffed toy with a really long tail full of sand or something that I've nearly killed a few friends with.

Ryan
The BG sword can do everything the Master Sword can do. Except allow the use of a shield. And strike the last blow to Ganon.

EdenMaster
Except in SCII, Link can use the Biggorons Sword AND his sheild! Madness!

Oh well, the Great Fairy Sword is by far Links best weapon in that game.

OB1
Wow that's pretty cool.

Great Rumbler
I'll take the giant hammer if you don't mind.

OB1
I want my own personal fairy guide who will scream at me whenever I go near a door handle or want to climb a ladder. "HEY!!!!! That's a DOOR HANDLE!!!!!!!!".

Dark Jaguar
Well, there's a price to pay for that weilding. Plus, the Master Sword actually hurts Ganon (final form) more than the Biggoron, at least that's the impression I got. I like defense and a healthy amount of flexibility when I battle anyway. Sure, the Big sword can "block", but it doesn't ACTUALLY protect very much. One other thing. The Mirror Shield is what I always use after getting it, but due to what I can only figure is a glitch, it doesn't bounce back rocks and such that are spit at you like the Hyrulian shield does.

A Black Falcon
I used the Biggoron Sword most of the time after I got it...

EdenMaster
The only time I really block in OOT is when I need to dispatch Octoroks or during boss battles, so after I get the Biggorons Sword I never put it down till it's time to kill Ganon. Besides, having it saves you from using the clunky Megaton Hammer against Ganon.

As for the Mirror Sheild, I switch back and forth as needed, but since I stated above, I don't really use my sheild much anyhow :).

Dark Jaguar
I use the biggoron sword sometimes myself, in situations where I don't plan on blocking for instance and of course against Ganon when I don't have the sword. I wouldn't try using the hammer for Ganon anyway.

Generally though, in most fights I use the shield whenever I'm not attacking. I just don't like being open to injury.

A Black Falcon
Yeah, I never used the shield either and only switched back to the Master Sword when I needed to reflect shots... thing seemed so small and weak after using the better sword most of the time... :)

Dark Jaguar
It's just not as weildy, which is why I only use it when I only need force. Most of the time though, I much prefer being able to block, which I do until I see an opening in the enemy's defense.