View Thread : Nintendo Japan newsbits...

A Black Falcon
http://cube.ign.com/articles/496/496799p1.html

Wow! An article!

March 05, 2022 - Japan's Nintendo Dream all-Nintendo publication contains in its monthly issues a Q&A corner in which many Nintendo-related topics are addressed. This month's edition was particularly loaded with interesting Nintendo related details.

Topics of merit include:

# Famicom Mini: Nintendo was apparently surprised by the success of the Famicom Mini series of classic NES titles for the Game Boy Advance. The company is of course considering adding more titles beyond the original ten. However, actually choosing the titles for the series is a difficult task, given the large variety of NES titles.

# Club Nintendo membership has gone up as a result of the Japanese release of Pokemon Fire Red & Leaf Green. Membership registration is currently running at 1.5 times that of the end of last year.

# Development on Mario Tennis GC is progressing well, but Nintendo is not at a point where it can discuss a release date.

# Nintendo does not have plans to unveil the successor to the GameCube at this year's E3.

# The Wireless Adapter that gives Game Boy Advance wireless link-up ability has quite a bit of functionality built into it. Nintendo is currently looking into ways to use the device, but as a start, the company will begin at the Pokemon Center some time around the end of February, a new service that makes use of the device.

# As previously confirmed, a sequel to The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is currently in development. Also, while not officially confirmed, the company is working on a sequel to Animal Forest +, with the original's development staff stating "There's still a lot we want to do [with the game]." It's apparently just a matter of time before an official announcement takes place.

# Finally, some news for Japanese fans who want the Japanese version of the latest Treasure-developed title. Wario World is still coming out to the Japanese market. Nintendo is currently setting a time for the game's release.

Fans of Wind Waker, Animal Forest, Famicom Mini and the Wireless Adapter apparently have a lot to look forward to.

Oh and here's a shocking statement from Magicbox.

- Nintendo mentioned they do not plan to reveal any info on the successor of GameCube at E3 2004.

Oh and more shots of Homeland, that Japanese rpg-ish game we probably won't get...

http://www.the-magicbox.com/Mar04/game030104g.shtml

Great Rumbler
I want that game.

geoboy
I'll probably be shot for this, but I hope the sequel to Wind Waker <i>is</i> cel-shaded. I say this because... while a lot of people want a graphically realistic Zelda game for the Gamecube (boooring), I think that, with the direction the Zelda franchise has gone, cel-shading is just more...appropriate.

A Black Falcon
Homeworld? I want more information, but it looks interesting at least... but Nintendo seems to be against actually giving us many of these games... oh sure we're getting more games than 10 years ago but still it's absurd to see so many good looking games not come here...

Though, we are getting Donkey Konga. And it'll be $50 and include the drumset... and Wario Ware Cube... but we could make the list of games we want and didn't get again... Magical Vacation, Earthbound, Giftpia, this... they could surprise me and release one of them but I have my doubts at this point. Oh Homeworld isn't out yet but we haven't heard one word from NOA of the game...

DMiller
I'll probably be shot for this, but I hope the sequel to Wind Waker <i>is</i> cel-shaded. I say this because... while a lot of people want a graphically realistic Zelda game for the Gamecube (boooring), I think that, with the direction the Zelda franchise has gone, cel-shading is just more...appropriate.

I totally agree with you. I hope they keep the cel-shading, but make the next game a little, or even a lot, harder.

Dark Jaguar
Certainly I agree. Jacking up the difficulty is a must for me. I enjoyed the cel shading, and even the modelling style once I found out exactly what it's intended to resemble. I still prefer the OOT look as far as the modelling style goes, but not by some great amount.

Perhaps the next one will have an adult version of Link, you know, just because that's how the pattern tends to go.

OB1
The WW successor is going to be cel-shaded. Miyamoto confirmed that. The style works great for Zelda and proved to be a huge success, and making an all-new engine would push the release of that game to 2006 instead of late 2004/early 2005. It's going to be like OoT and MM.

I wouldn't mind if someone like Silicon Knights were to make a darker, more realistic Zelda adventure just as long as EAD keeps doing what they feel is best for the main series.

A Black Falcon
Yeah, the cel-shading is okay... they just need better water and a much more challenging game. :)

OB1
Sure.

Great Rumbler
I think we actually are supposed to get Giftpia sometime this year.

A Black Falcon
I don't know about that...

Dark Jaguar
Well Zelda has always felt light-hearted serious, in an obviously oxymoronic sort of way, to me anyway. I was suggesting making Link an adult not for any sort of seriousness. He can be a kid and it's still all good. I'm saying just to continue the story, like it's years later and they finally find a land that seems perfect for New Hyrule, but there's something amiss... (as must be the case :D). It's just a common pattern to have the first game be child Link and the second be adult Link, with Zelda 2 kinda setting it, and every other Link sorta breaking it in it's own way (Oot and MM reversed it). No matter, it's just that, you know, both ages of Link have been seen many times, so hey, why not check out what adult Link would look like cel shaded? With exciting adult situations, like doing your taxes! ...no that's boring...

Eh, Zelda to me always has a serious tone, but also a light hearted tone. Indeed, the most alien situation I've encountered in Zelda is in MM when you find those beavers. They completely clashed with the Zelda world. I felt like I somehow teleported into Banjo~Kazooie land, and the mini-game felt Banjo-tastic as well. It was great fun though, and hey a few ridiculous demi-humans don't really do any harm. Warcraft does it too. I bring Pandamonium! Oddly enough, I felt WW had a deeper story in some respects that previuos Zeldas, showing that the look didn't really reflect any sort of childishness in the take on the story. I mean, Ganon's original motivation is revealed, and it's rather disturbing in a way.

Eh, anyway I'm sure the next game will end up fun, and I have a feeling it'll be adult Link this next time (why not?, not that it matters, but you know, something new...). However, to put it above OOT for me it'll have to be challenging. Make the puzzles harder Nintendo, and maybe lengthen it out a bit. I can wait! Delay it until the end of the GCN's life span if you have to!

OB1
Well Zelda has always felt light-hearted serious, in an obviously oxymoronic sort of way, to me anyway. I was suggesting making Link an adult not for any sort of seriousness. He can be a kid and it's still all good. I'm saying just to continue the story, like it's years later and they finally find a land that seems perfect for New Hyrule, but there's something amiss... (as must be the case ). It's just a common pattern to have the first game be child Link and the second be adult Link, with Zelda 2 kinda setting it, and every other Link sorta breaking it in it's own way (Oot and MM reversed it). No matter, it's just that, you know, both ages of Link have been seen many times, so hey, why not check out what adult Link would look like cel shaded? With exciting adult situations, like doing your taxes! ...no that's boring...

I wasn't responding to your suggestion that Link should be older in WW2, as I agree that it'd make sense for Link to be older in the next game since it'll probably take place after WW. I'd also like to see adult Link done in WW's style.

Eh, Zelda to me always has a serious tone, but also a light hearted tone. Indeed, the most alien situation I've encountered in Zelda is in MM when you find those beavers. They completely clashed with the Zelda world. I felt like I somehow teleported into Banjo~Kazooie land, and the mini-game felt Banjo-tastic as well. It was great fun though, and hey a few ridiculous demi-humans don't really do any harm. Warcraft does it too. I bring Pandamonium! Oddly enough, I felt WW had a deeper story in some respects that previuos Zeldas, showing that the look didn't really reflect any sort of childishness in the take on the story. I mean, Ganon's original motivation is revealed, and it's rather disturbing in a way.

Yes exactly, you can have a deeper and more serious story but still retain the light-heartedness and innocence of Zelda with the cel-shaded look.

Eh, anyway I'm sure the next game will end up fun, and I have a feeling it'll be adult Link this next time (why not?, not that it matters, but you know, something new...). However, to put it above OOT for me it'll have to be challenging. Make the puzzles harder Nintendo, and maybe lengthen it out a bit. I can wait! Delay it until the end of the GCN's life span if you have to!

It would be interesting to see the story take place several years after the new Hyrule has been built, with Link an adult.

A Black Falcon
WW does have more story but it's so easy you go through it really fast with less time to process it... like Warcraft III. Compared to OoT or Starcraft, respectively. :)

And yes after playing WW I agree, the look fits Zelda quite well. It just needs some touchups and challenge... and as a related thing less hand-holding. No giant targets for the hookshot, etc!

OB1
OoT had much more hand holding than WW did. Remember navi? "HEY!!!!! Press A!!!!!!!" every five damn seconds!

And yeah you're totally right, the deep story of OoT really needed a lot of time to process. :rolleyes:

A Black Falcon
Maybe not, but like WC3 WW has a lot of story but you get it so fast... okay OoT has less but WW has more story than most any of the Zeldas before it... and you go through it faster. ... okay I haven't finished WW but you don't get any more story in the part I'm in... :) And it's just so dull that I don't have a whole lot of interest in finishing it soon.

OB1
You're sad. And dumb.

A Black Falcon
Do you understand my point or not? I might not be explaining it that well... it'd make more sense with WC3 vs SC but you haven't played them so you might not get it...

Dark Jaguar
I didn't think you were talking to me about my whole adult Link suggestion. I was actually more responding to the general idea of Zelda as completely unserious. In any case we have a general agreement.

Regarding ABF: Oh YES I hate those blatent "THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO SHOOT THE HOOKSHOT AT YOU MORON!" signs called the "hookshot targetting". They should also take that off the boomerang for that matter, so I could have figured out I could use it to cut down vines myself. In order for it to target multiple stuff a new interface would need to be done... I'm thinking press the targetting button while aiming the boomerang to target whatever you are pointing at (in other words, make a lot of stuff targetable, to be misleading :D), and then be able to move on and try other things in that fasion. It won't be quick that way though... Perhaps allowing it to autotarget enemies would do, but anything else must be manually aimed at.

OB1
Do you understand my point or not? I might not be explaining it that well... it'd make more sense with WC3 vs SC but you haven't played them so you might not get it...

I've played plenty of WC3 and SC. But your point is retarded. So more story is bad all of a sudden?? :erm:

I didn't think you were talking to me about my whole adult Link suggestion. I was actually more responding to the general idea of Zelda as completely unserious. In any case we have a general agreement.

Oh... well it sounded like you were responding to my post.

A Black Falcon
Hookshot, boomerang, grappling hook, etc... get rid of it for all of them... though for the boomerang having a system for multiple hits would be okay. You're right though it'd need to work differently somehow, probably... having autotarget for enemies would be a very good idea.

As for my point what I mean is I like the story spaced out more, generally. With "content" between the story segments... oh WW has it but not enough. The game moves fast and it keeps throwing story at you... okay it's hardly a massive story but compared to previous Zelda games... yes, there is more of it, but it''s also more common with less in between the story parts... it's a complaint about easiness, to be precise. When a game is easy you progress fast and I'd rather you went slower and didn't have the story thrown at you at such a pace...

Oh, in SC if you beat each mission on the first try it'd be like SC in story speed but you generally don't do that. :D In WC3 that is possible most of the time so the game seems to move WAY faster.

OB1
I could understand that complaint with something like MGS, but WW??? There's more story compared to every other Zelda game but it's still pretty low on cinemas and plot. You're weird, ABF.

A Black Falcon
It was too easy! It was too easy and got dull. :)

Okay, there is some challenge in getting these stupid map pieces, and there are some sidequests I haven't finished I could do, but the 'getting map pieces' stuff is more annoying than fun!

As for the story that was more a complaint about WC3 than WW. :) My point wasn't that there was too much story but that you go through the game too fast because of how easy it was... it'd be much more fun with a OoT-level of difficulty. :)

As for MGS, I played halfway through MGS2 and it was okay. Oh, very story-heavy, but if you accept that the game is more about cinema than gameplay...

OB1
There's plenty of gameplay in MGS. Sure there's also tons of cinema, but there's also plenty of gameplay. It isn't Xenosaga.

A Black Falcon
I've heard the second half of Raiden's part of the game gets more and more story with less and less gameplay, though, and that's what I hadn't gotten to yet...

OB1
There's still lots of gameplay, just many breaks of cinemas.

A Black Falcon
Very long cinemas.

OB1
For you, yes. Especially since you consider WW to be story-heavy. But I've been hardened by the almighty Xenosaga! No other "game" tests your viewing patience as much as that one. I should really beat it though... I can't believe I bought it for $50.

Great Rumbler
I beat MGS2.

Otocon's confession about his past was REALLY weird.

OB1
What was it again?

No wait, don't tell me. I'll probably play through MGS2 again after I beat Twin Snakes.

Dark Jaguar
MGS2 I loved.

I wouldn't say it's got less cinema than Xenosaga, but then again I haven't beaten it yet myself. I'm apparently near the end according to my friend. Really, the problem is just how SHORT the game is. Lots of story, but the game is linear and short. Bad combo. Xenogears packed an ENTIRE story, a long one, into one game, and that was just one chapter of it's tale. It was a full length adventure and was more open. Xenosaga not only forced you to go wherever it wanted you to, but you couldn't back track. Well, you could pseudo back track via the environmental simulator, but that's just not the same... Also, the AGWS are completely useless. If you take the time to summon them for their SMALL increase in power, and sometimes they are actually weaker, then the enemy will KILL you. I was looking forward to a game of the same length as Xenogears, and that's why I assumed the graphics weren't exactly show stopping, because they were spending more time on the game itself. RAther, I was presented with a CHAPTER of the game. It seems they intend on milking the thing by selling what should be one game piece by piece. In conclusion, while the battle system IS very nice (aside from the AGWS), the game for variuos reasons just won't add up to the greatness of Xenogears.

OB1
There are no cinemas in MGS2 that last over two hours long. Xenosaga has what, over eight hours of cinemas or something like that? MGS2 is dwarfed by comparison.

Great Rumbler
What was it again?

No wait, don't tell me. I'll probably play through MGS2 again after I beat Twin Snakes.

It's not exactly something you'd look forward to when playing it again. :D

OB1
What was it?

Great Rumbler
Well...basically Otocon's sister [or dad or both, something like that] drowned and he didn't know about because he was too busy being seduced by his step-mom. :muddled:

Edit by DJ: Spoiler tags man!

A Black Falcon
Umm... yeah...

And OB1, if you don't get what I said I've just about given up on you.

Look, of course compared to MGS2 WW has a comparitively small amount of story. But for a Zelda game it's probably got the most ever...

Oh and it's not like I've never played a game with lots of story. I finished Torment... 100,000 lines of dialogue are in that game... :)

OB1
Saying that WW has the "most story ever" for a Zelda game is like saying that my kitten has the fiercest growl ever for a kitten. It doesn't say much.

A Black Falcon
... true ...

But that doesn't change the fact that the game would be more fun (and better paced) with harder gameplay. :)

Oh I played it for like half an hour (WW)... got two maps. Haven't bought them from Tingle yet though... I've bought 2 and have 6 more to go from him (with 2 in my posession now) and have 1900 rupees. Is that enough or will I spend time collecting...

OB1
Taking three month breaks in between tasks will make it seem poorly paced, Brian.

A Black Falcon
Games being too hard can of course get me to quit playing, but too easy is a problem as well, as this game shows... most of the game is easy. Some puzzles are tough, true, and I did quit playing a few times because of hard puzzles... but still I have only died once in the game, and that says a lot about the challenge level... if I played it consistently it wouldn't have taken that long. :)

Like as I said I got LttP a few days back and now I've beaten the first three dungeons (gotten the pendants and now to get the Master Sword) and I've probably died like 10 times... I did beat the third pendant dungeon without dying, but that was with the help of a red potion and two faries. :)

The one time I died in WW it was at a boss after I accidentally wasted my farie.

Dark Jaguar
I've heard the number of hours in reviews, but to be honest I have yet to encounter that length of cinema scenes playing the game. Maybe it's all compressed into the ending cinema, but well, the average cinema length, while long, I guess didn't stand out as much as the length of quite a number in MGS2.

Oh well, let's just say it's about even.

OB1
Xenosaga and MGS2? Xeno has around 6-8 hours of cinemas while MGS2 is closer to 2-3.

A Black Falcon
It depends if you just mean CG cinemas or all of the parts of the game where you watch while things happen onscreen...

OB1
Yeah I'm talking about all of the non-playing bits.

A Black Falcon
MGS2 has a massive amount of it.

OB1
Yes, but not even half as much as Xenosaga.

A Black Falcon
Way more than 2 or 3 hours is my point. Way, way more. :)

Great Rumbler
I didn't really mind the cinemas in MGS2.

OB1
Way more than 2 or 3 hours is my point. Way, way more.

You didn't even play the game! I beat MGS2 in 11 hours on my first try, and there's roughly 70% gameplay, 30% non-gameplay. And by non-gameplay I mean not actually controlling your character, so that includes using your codec real quick to talk to someone. In terms of cinemas there's maybe two hours worth. Xenosaga has 6-8 hours of cinemas! And that's not including all of the talking with people and stuff.

Great Rumbler
That's about how long it took me to beat MGS2. I didn't really think it had too many cinemas as the game itself was very fun.

A Black Falcon
I didn't play MGS2? Huh, funny, last page I remember saying that I beat the Snake chapter and got about halfway through the Raiden one! By the part I was at it seemed like you spent almost as much time watching as actually playing...

OB1
The Snake part accounts for only 15% of the game! And how do you know what was halfway for Raiden?

Great Rumbler
There were a lot of long cinemas at the first, especially during Snake's chapter, but after that I don't really remember there being too many except for the end.

OB1
Yeah there really weren't too many cinemas. ABF is just screwed up in the head.

big guy
i watched xenosaga for about 4 hours and i think my friend played for maybe 1/2 hour total. i hate that "game".

A Black Falcon
The Snake part accounts for only 15% of the game! And how do you know what was halfway for Raiden?

Because it was my roomate's copy... And I know the Snake one is a lot shorter. I noticed that in not too long. :) Okay I might not have been halfway but I was well into it, certainly well over the time I'd spent in the Snake chapter. One of the later things I remember was getting into the second shell, then I rescued those hostages in the middle of the second shell... there were a long series of massive cutscenes there... I can't remember much around that. There was some boss outside but I don't remember when it was and ... oh it's been like two years now and I forget...

lazyfatbum
I would just like to remind everyone that "A completely new Zelda game" now has no chance in being realized for the Gamecube. It's in production though.

I'm also willing to bet that WW2 (that's just weird...) will be named something else and somehow take place directly after the events of Wind Waker but in a completely different place. My vote is that Link will find a space suit and travel to Mars where he meets Ice Cube and powers up the Master Sword to level "Mackin" and defeats the Gerudo hoes who are killing Chinese farmers who stole the "Moon Stone of Ethnicity" with the BBQ Bang-Shot Anti-life Ray of Evil (which is powered by the gay carpenters).

QUOTE me on it!

Dark Jaguar
They aren't that gay, they tried becoming gerudo thiefs for one reason and one reason only if I recall.

Oh, and I guess it wouldn't be that much if you never used the codec except when you needed to. Keep in mind I never thought there were too many cinema scenes either. I wasn't complaining, just making a point. I also didn't mind them in Xenosaga, except that there wasn't much game to back it up like in MGS2. If you constantly went to the codec like I did to talk to people and got into all sorts of deep conversations througout the game (there's a LOT of information and overly dramatic stuff that goes on in there if you only did what was needed as far as the codec goes), then the amount of time in cinemas/codec talking rises quite a bit. I wasn't really counting only the stuff that's forced on you.

big guy
beyond good and evil had the perfect amount of cinemas IMO. and it had a nifty way of letting you run around during some of the story progressions and cinematic effects. oh man, such a great game. i tell everyone to buy it but i don't think anyone i've told to has.