View Thread : Uh-oh

Undertow
I'm going to attack these forums with my anime kitty cat face Army of Darkness. Submit, and no one will get hurt.

ATTENTION!

=^-^= =^-^= =^-^= =^-^= =^-^= =^-^= =^-^= =^-^= =^-^= =^-^=

Fittisize
Shut the fuck up.

alien space marine
spaghettio's :erm:

Undertow
Spaghettios to you, too.

Darunia
Undertow, your anime kitties are no match for my army of invincibly undead mutant zombie apostraphes!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Great Rumbler
Uh oh! *watches that one episode of Sealab*

Fear my army of incredibly sexy exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wooo!!!!!!!

Ryan
Shut the fuck up.
You should stop listening to crap like Rage. It makes you an angry young man.

lazyfatbum
<marquee>******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************</marquee>

Asterix...

Asterix!

ASTERIX!!!

HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

*Theme to Thundercats but better because I win*

<marquee>******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************</marquee>

Fittisize
You should stop listening to crap like Rage. It makes you an angry young man.

P'sha! No way. Rage Against the Machine, the best band in the land. The best guitarist in the history of music (Tom Morello) combined with the awesomeness of Zack de la Rocha's lyrics...dang. Best group of activists who use music to get their message across...best group ever.

geoboy
*soils self*

Uh-oh!

N-Man
The best guitarist in the history of music (Tom Morello)

Riiight.

Ryan
P'sha! No way. Rage Against the Machine, the best band in the land. The best guitarist in the history of music (Tom Morello) combined with the awesomeness of Zack de la Rocha's lyrics...dang. Best group of activists who use music to get their message across...best group ever. :rofl:
:rofl:

Oh my god, that was hilarious. Sad, maybe. Pitiful, definitely. But still hilarious. As is Rage's 'message': "Capitalism is bad and corporations are evil. Please ignore our contract with a huge multi-billion dollar corporate conglomerate label, and the millions of dollars we make. We appeal to angry twelve-year old mentalities who hate their parents because they can't go on a date Friday or drive the car after 11 PM, because everyone else can look beneath the vapid musical talent and trite lyrics and find that there really is no message."

lazyfatbum
Hahaha... that would be an awesome name for a band.

Ladies and gentlemen.....

The Vapid Musical Talent and Trite Lyrics!

Thank you! one two three!

Capitalism is bad! Corporations are evil!

We appeal to angry twelve-year old boys!

(uhuh yeah!)

Please ignore our contract with multi-billion dollar corporate conglomerate labels!

(The labels give us bread on the table! yeah yeah yeah!)

Because we were made in an office at a meeting!

What?

An office at a meeting with a demographics chart!

(UGH!)

We dont have a message!

NO! We dont have a message!

We never had a message, and still dont!

(yeah! sing the lyrics and promote free advertizing!)

We know you hate your parents because you're young and dumb -

So why dont you just ignore them while we make your brain numb -

We know you probably want a hero or a father figure of sorts -

Well wake up, son! It aint gonna happen in suburbian America no more!

(bud um bud um dum bum duh bum)

So why dont you bend over while we fuck your wallet like a whore!

(FUCK YOUR WALLET LIKE A WHORE WHEN YOU COULD HAVE DOWNLOADED IT FOR FREE, KNOB!)

WE DONT HAVE A MESSAGE!

NO, WE DONT HAVE A MESSAGE!

WE NEVER HAD A MESSAGE, AND STILL DONT!

YEAH! Thank you, Ontario! Goodnight! The T-Shirts are only 50 bucks but they last until you wash them! Wooo!

Fittisize
You just don't get the message, Weltall.

But whatever, even if you don't like or understand it, there's no denying that no guitarist like Tom Morello that can make riffs like he does (he is an AMAZING guitarist, the best in the modern-era and of all time).

"We appeal to angry twelve-year old mentalities who hate their parents because they can't go on a date Friday or drive the car after 11 PM"

Phh. Twelve-year olds driving a car? Lots of the farm kids learned to drive when they were around 11 or 12 but...I doubt 12 year olds want to take the car out after 11.
For bands in the 80's and 90's, RATM has perhaps the strongest and most loyal fanbase, so uh, they appeal to more than just 'angry twelve-year olds'. 20,000,000 albums sold from four CDs proves that.

Zach de la Rocha despises the state of the nation (America), and he uses his songs to get his point across. Of course, you think that a purely capitalist nation such as USA is perfect, and de la Rocha doesn't so your undoubtely not going to like his lyrics. Meh.

alien space marine
I thought RATM had split and became some other band.

Undertow
The musicians themselves went off to form Audioslave with Chris Cornell. Zack's busy forming rap groups no one cares about.

Great Rumbler
Kirby Dance!!

<(^^< >^^)> <(^^< >^^)>

Fittisize
The musicians themselves went off to form Audioslave with Chris Cornell. Zack's busy forming rap groups no one cares about.

Solo style. He released a song on his website after the dealie in Iraq started...it was pretty good.

But what he really needed was Tom Morello.

N-Man
RATM was pretty cool when I was 13. I've burned out most of their good songs by now though, and I can't get past the vapid "message" that obscures just about all their music anyways.

BTW, Eddie Van Halen eats Tom Morello for breakfast.

Fittisize
BTW, Eddie Van Halen eats Tom Morello for breakfast.

You stink.

Ryan
You just don't get the message, Weltall.
I said that already. Remember, I'm not a twelve-year old mentality that hates my parents.

But whatever, even if you don't like or understand it, there's no denying that no guitarist like Tom Morello that can make riffs like he does (he is an AMAZING guitarist, the best in the modern-era and of all time).
The best ever? Hah. I have heard both guitarists and bassists that are so far beyond Rage that it isn't funny. See: Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Page of Led Zep for an awesome lead, or John Entwistle of The Who and Jaco Pastorius for someone who can lick a bass better than almost anyone can do lead. It's insulting to real musicians like them that some teen-hate rock guitarist who, to me, doesn't sound any different from other teen-hate rock guitarists.

Phh. Twelve-year olds driving a car? Lots of the farm kids learned to drive when they were around 11 or 12 but...I doubt 12 year olds want to take the car out after 11.
I said twelve-year old mentalities. Children who act like little morons when they are twelve and still act like little morons when they're seventeen.

For bands in the 80's and 90's, RATM has perhaps the strongest and most loyal fanbase, so uh, they appeal to more than just 'angry twelve-year olds'. 20,000,000 albums sold from four CDs proves that.
Pink Floyd's "The Wall", perhaps the greatest album ever, came out in 1979. It sold 23,000,000 copies. By itself. And, it's one of the most expensive single-release albums there are, still going for almost $30 even today. So, no. Even if Rage had a message worth listening to, most of thier target demographic isn't intelligent enough to figure it out anyway.

Zach de la Rocha despises the state of the nation (America), and he uses his songs to get his point across. Of course, you think that a purely capitalist nation such as USA is perfect, and de la Rocha doesn't so your undoubtely not going to like his lyrics. Meh.
I would think a man who hates the capitalist system would wretch at the idea of signing with Epic Records, subsidiary to one of the world's most humongous corporations. But I guess there's no reason not to make millions of dollars in profit and run a business while making shitty music about how bad making money and operating business is. It's extraordinarily hypocritical... it's like a guy preaching about the evils of casual sex while getting a blowjob beneath the table he's standing at.

And all that aside, you, my friend, are an angry little man. You need to listen to better music, preferably something that chills ya out a bit. Go download some Weather Report. Preferably Birdland. And get lost in the music, my friend. No hate, no hypocrisy, hell, no words at all, just rhythm, jazz and the inhumanly-played bass by Pastorius.

Fittisize
Pink Floyd's "The Wall", perhaps the greatest album ever, came out in 1979. It sold 23,000,000 copies. By itself. And, it's one of the most expensive single-release albums there are, still going for almost $30 even today.

That's long ago though. Bands these days are lucky to sell 1 million records and then fizzle out, much less 20,000,000 spanning four different albums over 8 years.

The best ever? Hah. I have heard both guitarists and bassists that are so far beyond Rage that it isn't funny. See: Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Page of Led Zep for an awesome lead, or John Entwistle of The Who and Jaco Pastorius for someone who can lick a bass better than almost anyone can do lead. It's insulting to real musicians like them that some teen-hate rock guitarist who, to me, doesn't sound any different from other teen-hate rock guitarists.

Tom Morello was an innovator. The sounds he makes are so unlike any guitarist, ever. Who else from the 70's, 80's, and 90's can say that they've done anything different with the guitar that everybody else hasn't already done? Songs like "Microphone Fiend" and "Calm Like a Bomb" (played at the end of Matrix Reloaded), excellent songs. It sounds completely apart from any rock music out there.

I said that already. Remember, I'm not a twelve-year old mentality that hates my parents.

That's not the target age, despite what you have heard/read/thought?
"Some of those that burn crosses/ are the same that hold office"

RATM is not for angry teens who hate their parents. Korn is a band for angry teens.

I would think a man who hates the capitalist system would wretch at the idea of signing with Epic Records, subsidiary to one of the world's most humongous corporations. But I guess there's no reason not to make millions of dollars in profit and run a business while making shitty music about how bad making money and operating business is.

They are activists. What better way to get a message across then sign with a label that will get millions of people to hear it...ANYWAYS you can like making money and dislike a purly Capitalist government. I like money. But I wouldn't like living in a purely-capitalist nation. Get my drift? On each of RATM's CDs, they have whole sections in the lyrics or the inside of the CD case devoted to ACTION. About 20 websites and references are listed for the listeners to seek out and fight their fight. These include: National Commison for Democracy in Mexico, International Concerned Famly and Friends of Mumia Abu-Jamal, Women Alive, International Defense of the Lord Peltier Committee, UNITE! and etc.

And all that aside, you, my friend, are an angry little man. You need to listen to better music, preferably something that chills ya out a bit. Go download some Weather Report. Preferably Birdland. And get lost in the music, my friend. No hate, no hypocrisy, hell, no words at all, just rhythm, jazz and the inhumanly-played bass by Pastorius.
Meh. Jazz isn't really my thing...and I like virutally every type of music. No lie...I have certain preferences though.

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/general/top100.html
http://www.philtur.com/blogs/august03/82803rollingstone.aspx
http://www.theguitarfiles.com/cgi-bin/toplist/rerank.cgi

A few of the websites which agree that the Harvard-educated (just thought I'd add that) Tom Morrelo is great.

Dark Jaguar
Aren't you the person who doesn't see the point in exploring the unknown? Why rage against machines? They are inanimate anyway. I bet you liked the Matrix because you thought the message was about the evils of technology or something. Machines are very useful. If you think they are controlling us, then you fail to truly get the point. They only control those who are too weak to control them.

Ya know, I'd rather not agree with the opinions of anyone at a site who's domain name is "brain-damage".

Fittisize
:) The other one is Rolling Stone, how about that?

Anyways, I never opposed space travel, per se. I merely failed to see the point...and thought that by making a sarcastic comment people would naturally own up and enlighten me because of it. That's the nature of this board.

And I loved the Matrix not because of the whole machine dealies...I just thought it was a real cool concept combined with great fighting scenes and special effects.

Ryan
That's long ago though. Bands these days are lucky to sell 1 million records and then fizzle out, much less 20,000,000 spanning four different albums over 8 years.
Well, that's true. RATM probably does outsell many of today's one-hit wonders. But that's as much an indication to how wretched modern music is as how appealing Rage is to anyone.

Tom Morello was an innovator. The sounds he makes are so unlike any guitarist, ever. Who else from the 70's, 80's, and 90's can say that they've done anything different with the guitar that everybody else hasn't already done? Songs like "Microphone Fiend" and "Calm Like a Bomb" (played at the end of Matrix Reloaded), excellent songs. It sounds completely apart from any rock music out there.
I can think of two.

Roger McGuinn of The Byrds, and his mastery of the twelve-string Rickenbacher.

And in one Zep concert, I think it was Royal Albert Hall in 1970 (must see the DVD again), Jimmy Page played a good ten-minute solo on the lead with a fiddle bow.

And I mentioned Jaco Pastorius earlier. He must be heard to be believed. Even if you don't like jazz, you have to hear his bass skills.

That's not the target age, despite what you have heard/read/thought?
"Some of those that burn crosses/ are the same that hold office"

RATM is not for angry teens who hate their parents. Korn is a band for angry teens.
I've run an electronics department for three years. I can honestly say I've never sold a Rage CD to anyone older than 20. If they aren't all "I hate the world" teenagers, those that aren't are "I hate the establishment" teenagers. And people usually grow up and forget about that garbage once they get out into the real world. They realize that they can't live a good life unless they play the game, and trying to bring down the system is not only futile, it's silly. And that's as it should be.

They are activists. What better way to get a message across then sign with a label that will get millions of people to hear it...ANYWAYS you can like making money and dislike a purly Capitalist government. I like money. But I wouldn't like living in a purely-capitalist nation. Get my drift? On each of RATM's CDs, they have whole sections in the lyrics or the inside of the CD case devoted to ACTION. About 20 websites and references are listed for the listeners to seek out and fight their fight. These include: National Commison for Democracy in Mexico, International Concerned Famly and Friends of Mumia Abu-Jamal, Women Alive, International Defense of the Lord Peltier Committee, UNITE! and etc.
You can't hate truly hate capitalism if you benefit from it so well. I'm sorry. That message of theirs is a disguised sales pitch. I hope when you realize that, it doesn't hurt you too much. Even the 'activism' they participate in is a means to one end: Selling records, selling merchandise (incredible how anti-capitalists mechandise so prolifically, isn't it?), and making money. Rage, and other commercial bands like them, are exactly what they claim to be against. That's why, even if their music did appeal to me, I could never claim to appreciate their message.

And I'll say the same things about music I like. Many of my favorite bands advocated drug use and free sex, which I do not agree with. I still love the music, but I'd never claim it was because I agreed with the sociopolitical statements within the songs. It's bullshit. I don't like the idea of John Lennon 'getting high with a little help from his friends', but I still listen to and love the Beatles because they were incredible musicians, not because I'm looking to them for something to believe in.

If you like Rage's musical talent, more power to you. I don't have a problem with that, even if I don't like their music. But be honest with yourself: Their message is meaningless.

Fittisize
For the most part, your post (as well as mine) was mostly opiniated and their is no point in wasting my breath, so to speak, repeating what I have already said. However,
Even the 'activism' they participate in is a means to one end: Selling records, selling merchandise (incredible how anti-capitalists mechandise so prolifically, isn't it?), and making money.
is wrong on so many different ways I don't even know where to start.

Everybody is as selfish and greedy as you think. Yeesh, the guys from RATM the machine were activists and supported many of those groups before they started making music...de la Rocha and Morello especially. When you're already selling millions of records and making tonnes of money, I doubt that there are many out there who will donate years of their lives to supporting organizations just to sell a few thousands more records and see a couple of more bucks. Not everybody out there has a voice, and people like Rage Against the Machine can provide one.

Bono of U2 does an incredible amount of work for the public outside of his people. Would you say that he's doing that just to sell more records?

N-Man
Who else from the 70's, 80's, and 90's can say that they've done anything different with the guitar that everybody else hasn't already done?

How about Tony Iommi single-handedly inventing most of the chord progressions that characterize heavy metal? Eddie Van Halen outright inventing a new way to play guitar (two-hand tapping)? Yngwie Malmsteen integrating classical music structures into a guitar-rock context? The galloping melodies of Iron Maiden? Dream Theater, whose avowed goal for the past twenty years has been to invent new ways to play music? Michael Angelo playing two-necked guitars (if you want to go into the obscene)?

For a decade soaked in shitty music like the 90s, sure, RATM were pretty original and innovative. But up against real bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Van Halen... they're outta their league.

Darunia
Who else from the 70's, 80's, and 90's can say that they've done anything different with the guitar that everybody else hasn't already done?

How about Sting, or Boston.

Ryan
Everybody is as selfish and greedy as you think. Yeesh, the guys from RATM the machine were activists and supported many of those groups before they started making music...de la Rocha and Morello especially. When you're already selling millions of records and making tonnes of money, I doubt that there are many out there who will donate years of their lives to supporting organizations just to sell a few thousands more records and see a couple of more bucks. Not everybody out there has a voice, and people like Rage Against the Machine can provide one.

Bono of U2 does an incredible amount of work for the public outside of his people. Would you say that he's doing that just to sell more records? Both of these points can be summed up easily. See, Rage is an activist band... supposedly, anyway. They HAVE to support all these oddball liberal causes, otherwise, they have no point. If they didn't at least superficially support these causes, even the most brain-fried teenagers would have to say "okay, this is bullshit." Their support of oddball causes is nothing more than a means to legitimize their so-called 'message'. After all, actions speak louder than words, and if you're going to make music about being modern-day Leninist thugs, you better support some groups that practice the same ridiculous philosophies you do if you desire any credibility. It's a publicity stunt, in the end, just like all the benefit concerts and shit. Publicity and photo-ops and hey, they look like good, caring millionaires in the process! Bonus!

U2 does not have to do that. Bono is a hardcore activist, though I don't care about much of what he rambles on about. However, while him and the band participate in causes, they are not built around those causes the way Rage claims to be. Rage is a voice for all the post-modern teenage morons of America who are immature enough to hate the system, but U2 is simply a group of musicians who are given to get political from time to time but aren't totally consumed by it, as many of their songs have no political messages at all. But in the end, yes, though Bono seems quite sincere about what he does, in the end, it's a publicity stunt. Bono looks like a good, caring man with too much money and too much time on his hands.

This is the beauty of capitalism, it can be ruthlessly exploited even by those who swear to destroy it. Of course, it's the fools who mindlessly throw their money and loyalty at them that are exploited by the capitalist system, which in turn is being greedily manipulated by people whose claim to fame is their hatred of the very system. Anyway, like I said, if Rage and bands like them were sincerely anti-capitalist, they wouldn't whore themselves out to massive record conglomerates and merchandising corporations who charge $20 for their stylish logo on a three-dollar tee-shirt, backpack, wallets, breakfast cereals, videogames, action figures, dick rings and matching purses. They would make enough money to cover their activities and earn a living. But greed latches its claws even in the egalitarians, and I find that hilarious.

Bands like Rage are very, very smart. They have a good scam going on, and you're one of several million suckers. Isn't that funny? :)

Fittisize
If they didn't at least superficially support these causes, even the most brain-fried teenagers would have to say "okay, this is bullshit."
What are you getting at here? You're saying that teenagers are dumb enough to by a RATM album but smart enough to understand their message. Makes little sense to me. I dunno what you know about teens these days, but most of them don't give a shit about music. Rock, in particular. Why do you think that rap is the most popular genre these days? No, if teens are as stupid as you think, then they wouldn't be smart enough to figure out exactley what de la Rocha (btw. Rage is pretty much old news according to lots of these dumb teenagers that you are talking about...four years broken up is a long time) is talking about.

Anyway, like I said, if Rage and bands like them were sincerely anti-capitalist, they wouldn't whore themselves out to massive record conglomerates and merchandising corporations who charge $20 for their stylish logo on a three-dollar tee-shirt, backpack, wallets, breakfast cereals, videogames, action figures, dick rings and matching purses.
Rage merchandise: t-shirts, and posters.

Bands like Rage are very, very smart. They have a good scam going on, and you're one of several million suckers. Isn't that funny?
Ah well, you are incredibly ignorant. Thanks for being an asshole.

I like Rage Against the Machine and nothing you say can change that. I am also aware that you may not like it, however. I dont care.

Ryan
What are you getting at here? You're saying that teenagers are dumb enough to by a RATM album but smart enough to understand their message. Makes little sense to me. I dunno what you know about teens these days, but most of them don't give a shit about music. Rock, in particular. Why do you think that rap is the most popular genre these days? No, if teens are as stupid as you think, then they wouldn't be smart enough to figure out exactley what de la Rocha (btw. Rage is pretty much old news according to lots of these dumb teenagers that you are talking about...four years broken up is a long time) is talking about.
It's not what he is talking about, dear friend. It's that what he's talking about is bullshit. They get the message, but the message is a scam.

Besides, this same thing can apply to any of the Rage ripoffs that have replaced them, like System of a Down, or even authentic replacements like Audioslave. Bullshit messages that indentity-lacking teenage mushskulls eat up like flies on shit.

Rage merchandise: t-shirts, and posters.
Mel Brooks paraphrase time! "Merchandising, merchandising! Where the real money is made!"

Ah well, you are incredibly ignorant. Thanks for being an asshole.

I like Rage Against the Machine and nothing you say can change that. I am also aware that you may not like it, however. I dont care.
I touched a nerve, didn't I? ;)

All you're doing is proving my point: You're an angry little child who is mad at the world for whatever angsty teenage reason you have. In about five years, you'll look back and see you liked Rage and think "good lord, what the fuck was I thinking?"