http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/member/about/news/img/20040319_2_bg.jpg

A Black Falcon
Great red X'es! :)

alien space marine
Is it gonna be a "xbox" exclusive? :D

Great Rumbler
I've seen better...

OB1
Shoot, I guess starwars.com won't let me post them since it's member exclusive... let me see if other sites have posted them yet...

*checks*

Woohoo!

http://thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers3/starwarstrilogyside1dvd.jpg http://thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers3/starwarstrilogyside2dvd.jpg
http://thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers3/starwarsboxwide3d.jpg
http://thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers3/starwarsboxfull3d.jpg

The silver one is the widescreen release and the gold pan & scan, so remember to stay away from the gold set, even though it looks mighty fine!

The individual DVD cases will look similar to the Episode I and II DVDs so that they all look like they fit together when you stand them next to each other on a shelf.

Great Rumbler
You're right, they do look very nice.

OB1
Better than the work-in-progress ones I posted a while ago, eh?

Darunia
They look amazingly like the SE VHS releases.

OB1
Kinda. They're both metallic and have Vader's head on the box, but that's it.

http://www.kardas.net/sw42.jpeg

http://www.hcn.zaq.ne.jp/hirokisi/sw/video1.jpg

Fittisize
So when do we get to buy this?

Great Rumbler
September or November, I think.

OB1
September!

Great Rumbler
Woo!!

Darunia
I'm going to start recycling cans today so that I can afford it then!!

Dark Jaguar
Yeesh, why don't they just stop releasing the formatted versions of DVDs anyway? They should just stop doing it all together. The sorts of people who would prefer the formatted kind are the sorts who, if they couldn't find that, would still buy the wide screen format. They wouldn't really loose money at all if all the movie companies just released straight wide screen only would they?

OB1
No because there are some... *special* people out there who still buy fullscreen DVDs.

Dark Jaguar
Yes they do, but those people would buy wide screen if they couldn't find "full screen". What, are they going to boycott wide screen?

OB1
Well a lot of people hate subtitled movies and prefer to watch dubs, but if companies stopped offering dubbed movies customers would be annoyed but I doubt they would boycott subbed flicks.

Fittisize
The TV in my room with my DVD player is only 22.5 cm, so uh, I'll take Fullscreen whenever I can get it. It's getting harder and harder to find a new-release fullscreen DVD, though. Widescreen, meh. It isn't too bad. I don't see why so many people have a problem with a Fullscreen DVD, though.

Dark Jaguar
Full screen cuts off parts of the image to make it fit. Widescreen shows the entire image. What's wrong with the black bars? I could understand when the show is never intended to be widescreen, for example a lot of games that make it widescreen for no reason other than to look "cinematic". However, this is just keeping it like the original.

OB1
Well some games do that because of technical reasons (like some N64 racers), or because they also support 16:9 sets and you lose picture information when it's reduced to 4:3. BG&E is one such example where the image is widescreen but not anamorphic, so it was either a technical decision or to make it seem more cinematic as you said. However in the case of something like RE4 which does have 16:9 anamorphic support, you'd be losing picture information if it were displayed in fullscreen on a 4:3 tv. So it's got black bars on a regular tv, like a widescreen DVD.

Great Rumbler
I almost never buy full-screen DVDs anymore, unless it's the only version I can find.

Darunia
Here, here. Me too. But those black bars just bother some people---like my grandparents.

Great Rumbler
Members of my family don't like the black bars either.

A Black Falcon
Well then they are dumb. :D

Great Rumbler
And so is full screen.

OB1
This hasn't been officially confirmed yet, but it looks like the minor changes that everyone (myself included) hoped would be done to the OT DVDs are happening. That means Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor in ESB, Jabba in ANH looking more like The Phantom Menace Jabba, as well a a bunch of other minor f/x fixes/upgrades. The picture below is apparently from the DVD version of ESB, with a shot of the old granny Emperor from the original version below for comparison:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx2/esbpalpatine.jpg

Great Rumbler
The new one looks a lot better.

OB1
Yup. And here's some more info from CHUD.com:

"...Besides, I can't wait for the full details of the set (including the films themselves) to start leaking out. Then the real sh*tstorm will begin. It's gonna be fun to watch.

You guys should try and conserve some of your bitterness until then. Seriously."

"I can say this much, though (and it has now been confirmed through multiple sources in different places)... the versions of the films on the discs will not be the same exact ones that were released in 1997. And they are far from the Classic versions, too. Take that for what you will."

Rex Hudler: "Carl, you've got to tell me more! Did they make any real changes to the movies themselves that a regular guy like me would notice? "

Carl: "Without saying too much (or being descriptive)... hell, yes.

I'm telling you, this DVD release is going to be the single most polarizing event in SW fandom since TPM.

Lucas is about the throw a ton of kerosene onto the fanboy fire."

Then people started begging him for some clue about what was changed, and he said this:

"Ok, you little whiners... this is ALL you are getting for a while:

Remember the rumors of a prequel actor filming footage during the EP3 shoot that would be put into the OT somewhere? Absolutely true... and you'll see for yourself when the DVDs are released. In fact, you just may have already "seen" it, though not quite. Also, John Williams is involved again... in a way.

And I might add a small riddle or two, of sorts.

"wamp was it that you like, again?"

"Oh, you like a fresh cup of Javva?"

How's that for cryptic? And that's all you're getting."

I can't wait! I'm so sick and tired of all the whining anti-SE people out there that I'm looking forward to Lucas making more changes to the OT so that these babies just get sick of Star Wars altogether and leave the rest of us alone. I didn't like all of the changes made to the SE's (Luke screaming in ESB, that song in RotJ), but I didn't hate them and enjoyed most of the other changes (even though they need some f/x cleanup). How can so many people harbor so much hatred for Lucas? Because he's "killing their childhood memories"?? Grow up, people! SW is Lucas's creation, and his legacy. He wants them to be as close to his original vision as possible before he dies. He's making these changes for himself. Even if we don't agree with all of the changes, why must everyone cry over them for so long? If you don't like it fine, don't watch them. They're just movies, for crying out loud.

alien space marine
I liked the changes in SE,I hope they add some new enhancements like Gui'Gon and mace windu added to ROTJ ending scene beside Yoda,Ob1,Anakin.

OB1
Qui-gon didn't retain his physical identity after he died. Mace might, but I doubt it. And if those guys showed up at the end of RotJ, Luke would be like "What the--? Who the hell are those guys??". I wouldn't mind a scene with Qui-gon communicating with Obi-Wan in ANH though. Perhaps explain why Obi-wan and Yoda waited so long to train Luke.

Great Rumbler
The only change really that I didn't like that much in the SE was the "Greedo shoots first" scene and that was really only because it just looked bad.

A Black Falcon
This could be very good... some of the changes, like that Emperor pic, will be good of course. We'll just have to see how far he goes... I'm sure I'll eventually accept it but I don't want him to break continuity...

alien space marine
I dont like the part were Solo calls Jabba "a nice human being"! Originaly Jabba the hutt was a Human, but Lucas of course changed the original concept so the hole scene was deleted. In SE they added the scene revised with Jabba the Hutt by over imposing the Human with the fat CG Jabba , Everything was perfect except for Han solo's statement and the fact he steped over his tail without any reaction from Jabba's body gaurds.

Great Rumbler
Actually, that line becomes a joke, where in the oringinal it wouldn't have been.

OB1
Exactly.

And ABF, why would there be contuinity errors? If anything Lucas should be improving continuity by fitting the movies more closely with the PT.

alien space marine
I wish they would redo the Alderaan destruction scene, it looks to much like the death star destruction scene, Come to think of it that scene didnt have much metal parts flying around for such a huge ship, redo it too!

A Black Falcon
I doubt he will, but as I've said before, about if Luke/Leia find out who their mother is...

OB1
:erm: Why would that happen? That would be impossible to do.

Great Rumbler
Yeah, they'd have to film a whole new sequence and Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher are twenty years older now than they were in RotJ.

OB1
Haha, that'd be funny.

alien space marine
They could give them radical plastic surgery

OB1
:shake:

OB1
Well really, they could easily do CG doubles, but there's no point.

alien space marine
They did a complete double of Jet Lee in the one.

OB1
That was split screen work and some regular human doubling.

alien space marine
The Joy of seeing jet lee kick his own ass.

Dark Jaguar
So you're still getting this even though those... archival thingies have been announced to eventually exist?

OB1
This is most likely the archival editions. And even if they aren't, the AE's wouldn't be out for at least another five or six years and there's no way I'm waiting that long to own SW on dvd. If these aren't the AEs then those won't be out until the next format, HD-DVD.

Great Rumbler
My copies of Star Wars on VHS are starting to get worn out, so I'm definitely getting them on DVD in September. And of course there's the obvious reason too.

A Black Falcon
It's Star Wars. So must get. :)

Great Rumbler
That's the obvious reason. :)

A Black Falcon
I do want Luke and Leia to figure out who their mother was SOMETIME, though... the books really should do it. I mean, it's been about 20 years now (that the books have gone past ROTJ)... it should probably happen in a book, unless he makes more films...

OB1
Dude, they can't do anything with that in the books just yet because Episode III isn't out.

A Black Falcon
I know. But after?

OB1
Well duh.

A Black Falcon
I just want them to find out SOMETIME. They deserve it...

OB1
What did I just say to you??

alien space marine
Jar Jar binks will die in epiosde III in a heroic sacrifice.

OB1
No, unfortunately he won't. I wish he would since I think his character needs to die a heroic death, but he survives after Ep 3.