View Thread : Rayman 3 is cool! (And the PC demo is here...)

A Black Falcon
And its like Rayman 2, but with even better graphics (Rayman 2 was a very good looking game, on PC anyway) and better gameplay. And now I can actually play a Rayman game with analog control (thanks to my new gamepad)... it is a lot better than digital... there were some frusterating parts of playing Rayman 2 on a d-pad, I will admit. Analog is nice... and the graphics on PC are even nicer. :) Bottom line? If you like Rayman games you'll like it... I really, really liked Rayman 2, so I'm definitely looking forward to this one. When I get it eventually I'll probably get the PC one because it will be cheaper (PC games don't stay at $50 long unless they are REALLY big, and many start lower than that...) and have the best graphics.

Oh... they've got the demo at Fileplanet ( http://www.fileplanet.com ) . Try it... if you have a good PC. The game needs one... :)

There is only one problem with the demo, really-- you can't change the controls. At least its set up for keyboard and gamepad... but the gamepad controls aren't mentioned in the game. You've got to just guess. Also, the camera control axis (mapped to the mouse) isn't by default on the second analog stick, and you can't change it, so with a gamepad you can't change the camera without using the mouse... I expect the full version will fix this problem, but its here in the demo.

OB1
Know of any decent analogue pc pads?

A Black Falcon
I did that big post a while back on the Emulation forum with a bunch of gamepads... there are a lot of them (including those PS2- to-PC adaptors) that are decent. It depends on what you want... I like my Saitek p880 that I have now (dual analog with 10 buttons... 6 face, 2 shoulder)... Just go read the Emu forum thread. I have a bunch of links to manufactuers' pages too.

OB1
Ok so I played the demo. It's a lot like the last game, but at least the music and voices are better this time. Pain in the ass to control with a keyboard and mouse though. Yech.

A Black Falcon
Gamepad games on keyboard is not any good. Analog-gamepad games on digital-gamepad is better, but still not ideal because you can't turn/aim/walk in all the directions. So for any games from consoles n64 or newer or for most gamepad-needing pc games for the past few years a decent analog pad is needed. Which is why I'm so happy I now have one (the Saitek p880)... keyboard stunk.

As for the game, it is VERY similar to Rayman 2 based on the demo... it felt like many sequels -- very similar but with some nice enhancements. Rayman 2 had great graphics (especially at higher resolutions!), but these are the the next level... very pretty. And the gameplay is like Rayman 2's, which is great because I loved that game... it was one of my favorite 3d platformers when I played it. So I'm happy they stuck with the style... the art style looks very similar too, which is nice because Rayman 2 (and now 3) have a great stylish and cartoonish style... the artwork makes the game look really nice.

Similar to Rayman 2? Yes... but IMO that's a good thing. :) It is nice to see this time you start with a bunch of powers (shooting, helicopter spin while jumping, etc)... Rayman 2 made you collect powers. This time they add to that with those interesting (and all new) temporary special powers... I like that, and some of them are pretty cool.

Plus, its a nice demo... relatively long, with 3 nice-length segments. :)

Sacred Jellybean
*skims the thread* No screenshots...?!

BALEETED!

OB1
Here's a screenshot for ya.

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/j/Somali%20Wild%20Ass.jpg

A Black Falcon
Why post screenshots when there's a demo?

Sacred Jellybean
Screenshots take less time and effort to download...

A Black Falcon
But demos give you a far, far better sense of the game.

Sacred Jellybean
I don't want a really deep impression of what the final game will play like... I just want a shallow little glympse. Minimal effort, minimal time. :S

A Black Falcon
You are lazy. I'm not sympathetic.

You do realize that it probably took you longer to write those posts than it would have to go to Ubisoft's Rayman 3 site and find pictures for yourself?

Sacred Jellybean
...yes :(

But minimal effort, man! Minimal effort!