View Thread : Which rumored Ep 3 title do you like the best?

OB1
Pick one.

Personally I like "The Creeping Fear" the most, as it fits in perfectly with all of the other SW titles. Very 50's sci-fi serial feel to it, very Flash Gordon-esque, very fitting (since SW was partly inspired by old sci-fi serials and Flash Gordon).

Fittisize
"Revenge of the Sith".

The Creeping Fear is too un-Star Wars ish.

OB1
Are you kidding? The Creeping Fear sounds just like a retro sci-fi serial. It perfectly fits in with "THE PHANTOM MENACE!", "ATTACK OF THE CLONES!", and "THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK!". "THE CREEPING FEAR! OOoooOOOoohh!"

Fittisize
It just doesn't flo, though! See, all of the OTHER titles of Star Wars flicks game some insight into what the movie was going to be about. 'The Creeping Fear' is just too vague and stupid.

OB1
"Vague"?? The title perfectly fits the main theme of the movie! The dark side is all about fear and power, and it triumphs in this movie. Anakin is slowly giving into his fear, closer towards the dark side, becoming Darth Vader-- the man who will strike fear into the hearts of everyone in the galaxy. The Jedi are being eradicated, their strength waning. Things are getting very bad, people don't know what to do and it looks like all hope is lost.

It's perfect. It also gives "A New Hope" greater meaning since its such a stark contrast. And it's actually much more insightful than "The Phantom Menace", which you really won't understand the meaning of until Episode III.

Dark Jaguar
I still hate that Attack of the Clones nonsense name. I don't care if they are TRYING to sound cheesy, it's stupid.

Great Rumbler
I must say I'm quite partial to "Vader's Gonna Git Ya!".

But, seriously, I have to go with "Rise of the Empire".

OB1
I still hate that Attack of the Clones nonsense name. I don't care if they are TRYING to sound cheesy, it's stupid.

They're not trying to sound cheesy necessarily, just Flash Gordon-ish. Lucas likes to use the names of the stuff that inspired Star Wars in the actual movies. Most of the character names come from old myths and stories that inspired him, the name "Jedi" comes from the word "jidai-geki", which is the term for a Japanese Samurai drama. All of the movie titles harken back to the old sci-fi pulp serials that inspired SW, and the title scroll is directly pulled from the old black and white Flash Gordon show. Star Wars is sci-fi/fantasy serial updated. So in conclusion, no YOU are stupid!

I must say I'm quite partial to "Vader's Gonna Git Ya!".

But, seriously, I have to go with "Rise of the Empire".

That last one I made up, could you figure that out? :D

Great Rumbler
Yes, I could. :)

OB1
I like Pablo Hidalgo's choice. "Space Battles in Space". That'd be so awesome.

Great Rumbler
Heh heh :D

Dark Jaguar
How about "Star Wars: War of the Stars"?

I honestly have no idea who Flash Gordon is. I suppose it's some 1950's sci-fi show or something?

Darunia
Nevertheless, I don't care for any of those titles...seriously.

OB1
Holy crap, you've never heard of Flash Gordon before??! Oh DJ.... oh, DJ.

*throws dissapointed look at DJ*

Flash Gordon was as popular as The Lone Ranger, Buck Rogers, and The Green Hornet (please tell me you've heard of those guys). One of the pioneers of the sci-fi serial!

Dark Jaguar
Green Hornet?

Pioneers of karp eh? Excuse me if I don't care.

OB1
That is so sad. I suppose you've never even heard of "War of the Worlds" either, right? Or Fritz Lang's "Metropolis"? Your comment of them being "karp" only makes you look stupid, DJ.

Dark Jaguar
I've seen Lone Ranger, and wow did it seem bad. Look, I don't have to like them just because they were the first. They were poorly written and poorly performed. Yes, they were the first, but that doesn't mean I have to love them. Do you expect me to like "It came from the Swamp" or "Mars needs Lumberjacks!" or any of those other old sci fi movies (just made up those titles, because they are all the same) merely because they started it? It's fine if you like them, it really is, but to expect me to love them and love anything based on them is just crazy.

OB1
Well yeah The Lone Ranger was bad (and pretty racist), but Flash Gordon is still great. Fritz Lang's Metropolis is still a fantastic movie, and War of the Worlds (I can't believe you've never heard of it) is a fascinating part of our history (it was a sort of practical joke. You should read about it), and a good book as well. Writing these things off without having seen them is very sad.

You remind me of these kids I know who refuse to read To Kill a Mockingbird because they think old books are lame.

Dark Jaguar
I didn't say I did or didn't hear about anything except Flash Gordon or Green Hornet. Why would you automatically assume I never heard of any of the rest of it? War of the Worlds wasn't a practical joke, at least not intentional. It was proof that the general public at the time was all idiots.

I've heard of a lot of it, and in general a lot of those movies back then, IN MY OPINION, sucked. Why can't I just think that? I love reading old books, good ones anyway, but old movies from the 1950's in general aren't classics that will stand the test of time.

OB1
I didn't say I did or didn't hear about anything except Flash Gordon or Green Hornet. Why would you automatically assume I never heard of any of the rest of it?

I asked you directly if you heard of any of them, and you did not respond.

War of the Worlds wasn't a practical joke, at least not intentional. It was proof that the general public at the time was all idiots.

It was sort of a practical joke, as I said. Of course Orson Welles probably didn't think that everyone would believe it so easily, but it was meant to fool at least some people.

I've heard of a lot of it, and in general a lot of those movies back then, IN MY OPINION, sucked. Why can't I just think that? I love reading old books, good ones anyway, but old movies from the 1950's in general aren't classics that will stand the test of time.

Wow, I can't believe you just said that. Some of the greatest movies ever made are from the 50's and 60's. Do you also think Citizen Kane is stupid? There are dozens of movies from all around the world from that era that still blow away modern "classics" like Lord of the Rings.

Dark Jaguar
Which is why I said "in general". Citizen Kane isn't even cheesy sci-fi anyway, at least I don't think so. Isn't it about a sled?

Yes, you asked me directly, and I didn't respond. That in mind, you are supposed to assume nothing at all except that I ignored you because I didn't care.

OB1
Ok, ok, how about this. I realize that what you say is out of pure ignorance, so I'm going to try to... enlighten you. I'll just name a few movies from the first half of the 20th century (and before then), and then you try to watch them. If you really do dislike them then fine, at least you gave them a shot. Sound good to you?

-Citizen Kane (not scifi)

-Fritz Lang's Metropolis (scifi)

-The Day the Earth Stood Still (scifi, a commentary on the political and social climate of the 50's, but if you know your history it should make sense)

-Frankenstein (original version)

-Lawrence of Arabia (not scifi, and from 1962, but old enough)

-The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

That should do it for you for now. Then maybe if you like these I'll introduce you to some foreign classics.

Great Rumbler
Don't forget this classic either!!

-Reefer Madness [The classic anti-drug movie]

And it's going to be releases on DVD soon with audio commentary by Mike Nelson [MST3K]!!

Dark Jaguar

I don't CARE! Why do you insist on MAKING me care? Can't someone just make a broad blind assumption about ANYTHING anymore?

OB1
Why do you want to look stupid??

Darunia
"The Day the Earth Stood Still" is an awesome, awesome movie.

Great Rumbler
Clato Verata Nickto!

Dark Jaguar
I remember Army of Darkness.

Besides, I'm just not interested. I'm sure there's a lot of worthwhile stuff from that era, whatever. I honestly don't care about the exceptions. I'm talking about the ones that suck when I say "in general it all sucked".

In general, I just highly suspect I won't like the others when you group together ones I already think are bad, like the original version of Frankenstein. Really though, I'm talking about the hundreds you didn't mention like I said. You know, like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" or "When the Earth Itself Exploded All Over Our Faces!", or "The Blob".

OB1
The Blob is from the 70's or 80's, DJ. And that line from Army of Darkness is from "The Day the Earth Stood Still", because it's a classic scifi picture and every cool person knows that. :D

The ratio of good to bad movies back then was actually smaller than it is today. There are far more terrible movies coming out of Hollywood today than there ever were. Creativity has been stifled, and it's all about focus groups and scripts done by terrible producers. It's a horrible mess, and movies are overall a disaster in this country right now. Sure there are a few good ones every once in a while, but there's so much more trash now than ever before. Hollywood is definitely in its dark age of creativity and quality right now.

A Black Falcon
Why do you want to look stupid??

DJ does it sometimes. I don't know why, but every so often DJ acts stupid... like here. It's like DJ has no interest in learning about things she doesn't already know or something... no interest much in history ('enlightenment'? Who cares), classic sci-fi, other things...

War of the Worlds. First, War of the Worlds was a book by H.G. Wells, written in the end of the 1800s. It was a great early sci-fi story of Martians invading England... then in the 1930s came the radio drama. That's the famous one, the one where they invade New Jersey by Orson Welles, but it's just a version of the classic H.G. Welles book. One of the great classic sci-fi stories...

Fritz Lang's Metropolis. It's a silent movie from the mid 1920s, by the way. It was also the first great sci-fi film. A true classic and hugely influential in the genre. Still worth watching, I'd say. Especially if you have any intrest at all in sci-fi, given how it was the FIRST great sci-fi film.

Flash Gordon. Now, I've never seen the show or anything, but... wow, you've never heard of it? Amazing... but that, admittedly (from all I have heard) is pretty cheesy. I don't think I'd exactly put it in the same category as the two above...

Oh, and I like Revenge of the Sith. "The Creeping Fear" is stupid.

Fittisize
The Blob is from the 70's or 80's, DJ. And that line from Army of Darkness is from "The Day the Earth Stood Still", because it's a classic scifi picture and every cool person knows that.

That's right. Sci-fi nerds are the very definition of cool!

OB1
Haha, yeah!

A Black Falcon
REAL cool people are! :)

Great Rumbler
That's right!

Darunia
Clato Verata Nickto!

That classic movies channel spelled it "Klaatu Varada Nikto", I believe...

Great Rumbler
Oh well.