View Thread : Kill Bill anime

OB1
Be careful fittsy, it's going to be done by Japanese animators so you'll want to stay far away from it. :p

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=107571

Quentin Tarintino will write and produce an animated prequel to his 4th movie, Kill Bill. The prequel will be drawn in "Japanese manga style" and will be animated by Production I.G. The film will "focus on the three men - pimp Estebian Vihaio and martial arts masters Hattori Hanzo and Pei Mai - who turned Bill into a ruthless killer."

It's being done by the guys who did the anime part of Kill Bill vol.1 and the Ghost in the Shell anime, so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Great Rumbler
"Japanese manga style"?

OB1
Heh.

OB1
But hey, this is really terrific news. This could be the first major Japanese-animated motion picture that could be a huge mainstream success.

Great Rumbler
Yes, it could very well be. Spirited Away COULD have been the first, but you can't trust Disney to do anything right when it comes to foreign things. *stabs Disney for destroying Shaolin Soccer*

Fittisize
Kill Bill..........YEEEEEEEEEAH
Anime..........Shit.
Quentin Tarantino.....God
The positive outweighs the negative...it might be worth checking out.

Great Rumbler
Anime..........Shit.

:shake:

Dark Jaguar
Disney made a huge effort to translate Spirited Away very well, and I think they did an excellent job. I can't vouch for other teams doing translation work at Disney, but the people doing the work on Spirited Away, from the making of clip on the DVD, seem to really care about anime in general and maintaining the spirit of the original. While the people doing the work on the hong kong films, I guess, totally suck at it, that's not the case with everyone at Disney.

Fitts, go into your backyard and hit yourself in the head with a hammer now.

Great Rumbler
I'm not talking about the voice acting, which is usually very good, what I'm talking about is publicity and a wide release, or rather the lack of it. Disney barely did anything with Spirited Away until it won an Oscar and even after that they didn't do much.

Dark Jaguar
Ah I see. Still, it's the only anime I've seen in a theater.

OB1
The reason why Disney is treating Miyazaki's releases with so much respect is because Ghibli knows about Disney's bad reputation when it comes to releasing foreign films and said that the only way they could release the movies on DVD is if they didn't cut a second from the movies and included the original language tracks. Very smart, those Ghibli people are. Both Steven Chow (director, writer, and star of Shaolin Soccer) and Zhang Yimou (director of the fantastic Hero) have sworn off Miramax for good after the way they treated their respective films.

Great Rumbler
Miramax's rationale for cutting the movies and dubbing them is that they are "adjusting" them for American audiences, but the movies still end up with almost no advertising and a small release!!

OB1
They're totally incompetant when it comes to releasing foreign movies here.

Great Rumbler
Yes.

OB1
This is hilarious: http://www.asiapacificadfest.com/01welcome/tvc_best.htm

alien space marine
:gay:

lazyfatbum
Just for the sake of argument: I think most anime is rediculous. Though I love giant robots and the alien worlds and sometimes the ideas used in the strories are lots of fun, but the stories themselves are always so shallow and overly simple it becomes trite superficial krap. I think it's a language thing, but regardless, it turns me off. You look at Akira for what it is and you begin to realize that the only reason it's gained so much popularity is because it was released in theaters here and started a buzz that is still going. If it never would hit our theaters it would have been 'another' anime.

Cowboy Bebop is alot of fun and manages to create a highly stylized story in a series, which is difficult (as a writer) because you'd want to try new things each episode while still preserving the entire scope of the story. But sometimes it would miss its mark and throw a barrage of artistic images at you which are supposed to make you feel or think something, but without good writing all you end up thinking during those moments 'look at the pretty things' and then you wait for the next scene. Not good.

Kill Bill will do really well as an anime because it was already designed as one from a directing and writing stance. But I fear the anime will take the over-the-top gore and sexuality of the movie and push it in to the realm of absolute perversion. At that point, it will degrade the movie it was based on.

Dark Jaguar
Most anime you have seen is, but can you really say Trigun, .hack, and FLCL is bad? Those are the three best I've seen. As for movies, try watching Spirited Away, or Grave of the Fireflies, or those two animes OB1 talked about that have nothing to do with "doing battle". I think I'll eventually check those out.

I will admit that Adult Swim made a mistake ONLY putting action anime in their schedule. Inuyasha is fun and all, but it's way too melodramatic for it's own good. Just about everyone on that show seems about 3 steps away from slashing their own wrists (speaking of, why doesn't Miroku just cut off his hand?), it's an animated soap opera. I'll also say I enjoyed Cowboy Bebop, but yeah a lot of it still ends up doing the American series style of throwing mini-stories that have nothing to do with the main plot, nor do they really advance the character, at you.

OB1
Just for the sake of argument: I think most anime is rediculous. Though I love giant robots and the alien worlds and sometimes the ideas used in the strories are lots of fun, but the stories themselves are always so shallow and overly simple it becomes trite superficial krap. I think it's a language thing, but regardless, it turns me off. You look at Akira for what it is and you begin to realize that the only reason it's gained so much popularity is because it was released in theaters here and started a buzz that is still going. If it never would hit our theaters it would have been 'another' anime.

Yes the Akira anime is not much more than really nice animation, great style, and an extremely convoluted but not very deep plot, however the manga has much more to it. And if you want to see some big robot anime with a lot of depth to it, try to seek out Zeta Gundam or Victory Gundam (and stay the hell away from Gundam Wing). And if you want to see what types of non-action anime there is out there try out Serial Experiments Lain, Grave of the Fireflies like DJ mentioned (if that movies doesn't make you all teary-eyes then you are not human), Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Millennium Actress (one of my favorites), Perfect Blue (very Hitchcock-like), and Tokyo Godfathers.

I assume you've only seen the more popular anime, but if you watch any of the ones I listed (start off with the last three that I mentioned) I think you'll change your mind about anime. In anime there is every genre that exists in live-action Hollywood, so there are mindless action ones along with more serious, meaningful stories.

Cowboy Bebop is alot of fun and manages to create a highly stylized story in a series, which is difficult (as a writer) because you'd want to try new things each episode while still preserving the entire scope of the story. But sometimes it would miss its mark and throw a barrage of artistic images at you which are supposed to make you feel or think something, but without good writing all you end up thinking during those moments 'look at the pretty things' and then you wait for the next scene. Not good.

Did you watch all of Bebop? There's nothing really deep about the series but it's the epitome of style and fun. I think they managed the main mythology with the stand-alone episodes just wonderfully. Perhaps you didn't watch it in order?

Kill Bill will do really well as an anime because it was already designed as one from a directing and writing stance. But I fear the anime will take the over-the-top gore and sexuality of the movie and push it in to the realm of absolute perversion. At that point, it will degrade the movie it was based on.

Uh, have you actually seen Kill Bill yet? It's a very violent movie, and the animated sequence in vol. 1 will give you an idea of what the prequel anime will be like. I don't understand your point.

or those two animes OB1 talked about that have nothing to do with "doing battle". I think I'll eventually check those out.

Are you referring to Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers?

Dark Jaguar
Yep, those are the ones. I'm interested in those.

Oh yes, I honestly think Adult Swim should consider putting some non-action based series, more story based ones, in their lineup. Something to tell people "hey, it's not ALL action" (not that it's bad, I LOVE Trigun and enjoy the rest), since there's not a single anime currently on American television today that isn't some sort of action show. Also, they should turn Friday into some sort of movie day. Screw the repeats of Cartoon Cartoons.

OB1
They're superb.

Great Rumbler
since there's not a single anime currently on American television today that isn't some sort of action show.

Adult Swim aired Witch Hunter Robin, which is more of a mystery/supernatural anime. Also, TechTV has Serial Experiments Lain and Boogiepop Phantom.

Here are some good non-action oriented animes:

The Patlabor movies
Miyazaki's movies
Satoshi Kan's movies [he directed Millenium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers]
RahXephon [yeah, it's mecha, but it's not really an action series]
Memories [collection of 3 short anime movies]

Dark Jaguar
TechTV?

Great Rumbler
Yeah.

TechTV (http://www.techtv.com/techtv/index.html/)

lazyfatbum
I'll have to look for those.

But I was saying that while Kill Bill is gory and has alot of sex jokes the anime (by its nature) might put it over the top. What I mean by that is, Kill Bill had just the right mix of how much to show and how to show it. One big reason for that is because the ratings board only allows so many minutes of gore to be displayed on screen, that's why the scene in the club was in black and white. The anime can circumvent those ratings because it's animated. All animated features are rated either G, or PG-13. In order for an animated movie to be rated R, it has to have nudity in it, if it has more than X amount of minutes oo nudity and/or sex, it will be rated NC-17 and will never be released in theaters. So, since popular anime is constantly pushing the envelope for how much gore and sex to show and is released direct to video/DVD 99.9% of the time, I am almost certain they will take the premise of the movie's attempt at gore and sex and blow it out of proportion even further. If that is the case, then it will degrade the movie it is based on, by making fun of itself, when Kill Bill by itself was an attempt at bringing an anime to live action. The result is bad publicity and alienated fans which will then be broken up into two groups = Fans of the movie who dislike the anime (because they pushed it too far) and fans of the anime who dislike the movie (because it wasn't pushed enough).

It's all about marketing and applying your product to an already existing fan base; Change too much in the product and you remove your existing fan base and have to start over with a new fan base, if one will even exist. Kill Bill is awesome because it is a live action anime, make it an anime and it's all down hill from there in my opinion.

OB1
There are plenty of violent anime that feature no sex or nudity that get an R rating here. Yes the animated part of Kill Bill was the most violent part of the movie because animation can take violence further with an R rating, but it wouldn't have been that violent had the movie been PG-13. Kill Bill is as violent as an R movie can get in the U.S., and Tarantino made a more violent edit (with the crazy 88 scene in full color) for Japan and the rest of the world since everyone else isn't as big of a pussy as we are. The anime prequel will most likely be as violent as the anime sequence in KB vol.1, and if a full-length feature with that much violence is too over-the-top for you then why the hell are you watching Kill Bill to begin with? Do you draw the line right after scalps being cut off, or what? Vol. 2 is a bit more violent than the first one, so if vol. 1 reached the limit for you then you probably shouldn't watch the second movie.

I also find it funny that you would call a violent Kill Bill anime "degrading" to the movies, since Kill Bill is just one big violent exploitation flick with no regard for decency and tries to pump out as much violence as possible. It's Tarantino's homage to Japanese V-Cinema. More violence in this franchise will only bring it closer to the material that Quentin is paying tribute to. The people going to see Kill Bill love this kind of stuff, so more of it is only going to be more titillating.

One more thing. Kill Bill isn't live-action anime. The style of violence and action is based off of HK martial arts movies (the choreography) and Japanese chambara (Samurai action) flicks (the gore). That type of action came long before anime did. :)

Great Rumbler
I have in my DVD collection 3 anime movies that are rated R and not one of them has an ounce of sex or nudity. Cowboy Bebop is one of them.

alien space marine
I remeber I saw a Japanese anime film that had a drunken man behead two women with a samurai sword , Reason being they didnt want to sleep with him.

OB1

Great Rumbler

OB1
:screwy:

Great Rumbler
Yeah.

OB1
:nodding:

alien space marine
:gay2: :gay2: :gay2:

Great Rumbler
:shake:

lazyfatbum
Interesting. The ratings for violence might have changed since my ratings book was published.

I wasn't talking about my personal tastes, I saw Kill Bill because I love violence and I wanted to see if Quinten would try to make a serious film. Like i said, i'm talking about a marketing angle. People like Kill Bill because it's a live action anime, if it were originally an anime, it would have sparked very little interest in the states, when we're talking about millions of people and dollars. The Crazy88 scene is a good example, when movie going people saw that, they refered to it as genius and profound editing, it made it more than just a big fight scene. If it were in color it wouldn't have produced that response from the movie going public.

Just curious, in the animes you guys have that are rated R with no sex or nudity, is there cursing? people using drugs? or people frankly talking about sex or drugs? because those things can certainly push it to R. The ratings board works in mysterious, prudish ways.

OB1
You know lazy, I really hope that what you're saying is wrong. If the general public really thought that the fight was great because it was in black and white then well... the general public is stupid. The fight wasn't black and white for any artistic reason, it was black and white to get an R rating. Like I said, the fight is in color in Japan and most countries outside the U.S. and it looks much better that way. You'll see that if you ever get to see the Japanese DVD (or whenever they release the uncut versions of both movies in the U.S.).

And again, I must reiterate that the intention of Kill Bill was never to make a live-action anime. Chambara and martial arts flicks came long before anime, and that is what Tarantino was going for. If you know your Asian movies you'll spot dozens upon dozens of references to classic HK and Japanese movies. I'll list just a few of them to give you an idea. The Japanese school girl who fights the Bride is from Battle Royale, a recent violent (though with an actual message) movie from Japan (she even wears similar clothes to the ones she wore in BR), her ball and chain weapon is an homage to the "Flying Guillotine" HK movie series, and they even use music from one of the Guillotine movies during the fight scene. The House of Blue Leaves scene (at the end of the movie with O-Ren Ishiii) is straight out of a Japanese chambara film "Lady Snowblood". The guy who made the sword for The Bride is Sonny Chiba, a Japanese actor who's done countless Samurai and various other action movies/dramas and who's a personal favorite of Tarantino. The main Crazy 88 guy (the the Kung Fu master in Vol. 2) is Gordon Liu, a major martial arts star in Hong Kong from the 70's and 80's during the Shaw Brothers era. Oh and you see the Shaw Bros. logo at the beginning of the movie before the credits. So anyhow, my point is that Kill Bill is not intended as a live-action anime but rather a mix of martial arts/Samurai/Western/exploitation genres. It may seem like that if your main exposure to Asian cinema is anime, but that's not the case.

And you should expect much more story in Vol. 2. Originally KB was going to be one big movie with non-stop action in the first act and the heart of the story in the second half, and everyone seems to like the second act a lot more. I can't wait until it comes out next week. :)

lazyfatbum
Those movies sound cool

But dude I totally agree with you, but the fact is that the movie going public refer to Kill Bill as a live action anime, mostly because of the characters, gore and dialogue. Most people's idea of anime is beautiful characters with strange/poetic dialogue having unreal fights. People think the Matrix is live action anime; It's just how most people percieve movies that aren't designed traditionally, they have to find a catagory to put it in that they're some what familiar with.

The point I was trying to make about the Crazy 88 scene is that it was designed that way to keep the gore but people dont think about that, they see a scene, not unilke most scenes in an action movie, but with artistic purpose. People talk about why it went in to black and white and come up with theories like 'Black Mamba is so hardened that she doesn't see the blood anymore' or 'she sees in black and white so she can concentrate on the fighting'. People love to think too hard when it comes to movies.

OB1
Well this is why most people are dumb. :)

Great Rumbler
Just curious, in the animes you guys have that are rated R with no sex or nudity, is there cursing? people using drugs? or people frankly talking about sex or drugs? because those things can certainly push it to R. The ratings board works in mysterious, prudish ways.

Spriggan has a small amount of cursing, but it's mainly rated R for violence. The same way with Cowboy Bebop and Patlabor 3. Although, Patlabor was rated R for language too, except that if you listen to the English dub you miss out on just about all of it.

OB1
I forgot one thing. While Kill Bill isn't supposed to be a live-action anime, The Matrix was. It copies a dozen things from Ghost in the Shell alone.

alien space marine
I cant wait to rent kill bill.

lazyfatbum
I forgot one thing. While Kill Bill isn't supposed to be a live-action anime, The Matrix was. It copies a dozen things from Ghost in the Shell alone.

Actually, it didn't. It copied a paper RPG called Cyberpunk which was popular in the early/mid 80's. Alot of animes copied from it. And Cyberpunk copied alot from Blade Runner... who copied alot from popular japanese comics in the 70's. The idea of "jacking in" or becoming God-like over a virtual network has its roots in the early 70's when the internet was just getting its first real legs between colleges. It's also where Role Playing video games as we know them (as a text RPG, but with the same gameplay ) were born, even with LAN play.

I wouldn't say that movie going people are stupid, they see a movie and they want to get inside it and find a way for it to be real. They invent huge back stories to explain characters or events in the movie and try to take as much as they can from it to apply it to day to day activities. It's extremely imaginative and it's why movies are popular today.

Dark Jaguar
Yeah, it's irrelevent what the creators intended it to mean. It's what we, the viewer, draw from it that matters in the end.

OB1
Actually, it didn't. It copied a paper RPG called Cyberpunk which was popular in the early/mid 80's. Alot of animes copied from it. And Cyberpunk copied alot from Blade Runner... who copied alot from popular japanese comics in the 70's. The idea of "jacking in" or becoming God-like over a virtual network has its roots in the early 70's when the internet was just getting its first real legs between colleges. It's also where Role Playing video games as we know them (as a text RPG, but with the same gameplay ) were born, even with LAN play.

I wouldn't say that movie going people are stupid, they see a movie and they want to get inside it and find a way for it to be real. They invent huge back stories to explain characters or events in the movie and try to take as much as they can from it to apply it to day to day activities. It's extremely imaginative and it's why movies are popular today.

I wasn't referring to the plot, I was referring to the action. GitS' plot is nothing original, but the action was. The Wachowskis even talked about trying to do a lot of the GitS stuff in live-action in one of the Matrix DVD docs.

Yeah, it's irrelevent what the creators intended it to mean. It's what we, the viewer, draw from it that matters in the end.

That is absurd. You can ignorantly think that Kill Bill is supposed to be like anime, but it definitely is not and if you know your movies you can clearly see what it is trying to be. Being ignorant to this fact and perceiving it in the wrong way does not make it correct, DJ. If I play Zelda and think that it's an homage to The Muppets because of one reason or another doesn't mean that that's what it was supposed to be.