View Thread : Playoffs

Fittisize
Belated start to the thread, but yes, the 2004 NHL Playoffs have begun. They kinda suck because the Flames are in it. And the Oilers are not. How I loathe Calgary. And how I love Edmonton. :( I'm all Sens now. Whoo, go Ottawa.

So anyways, what are the other two hockey fans thoughts on the playoffs? Ottawa going all the way?? Eh? Eh???

A Black Falcon
As I'm sure everyone expects I'll say that I hope the Bruins win. :)

Oh, and the NBA playoffs are at the same time, so I'll say I'm happy the Celtics made it... in a way. 8th seed... in the playoffs at .438? 16-team playoffs are so stupid, there's no way they should be in!

Dark Lord Neo
Montreal

Fittisize
Oh, and the NBA playoffs are at the same time, so I'll say I'm happy the Celtics made it... in a way. 8th seed... in the playoffs at .438? 16-team playoffs are so stupid, there's no way they should be in!

That's just because the Eastern conference is HORRIBLE! God, there's six teams in the East who are above .500...and two of them are just at it. I don't know how the Eastern conference sucks so much, but they just do. But, in the NHL, the two 8th place teams are 9 games above .500, so don't go saying that 16 team playoffs suck. :P

Laser Link
Maybe the Avs won't blow the first round series this year. A 2-0 start, but they dropped the game tonight. I'm still not worried, but if the Stars tie it... And honestly, I don't know squat about the NHL this year. I haven't followed at all, and I'll only be able to keep up half heartedly during the playoffs. Just too busy this year. I was shocked the see the Lightning doing so good, and sad that Colorado lost the division for the first time in like 10 years. It seems like the Kariya-Selanne thing didn't work out like they thought, eh? Maybe it will get better in the playoffs, but you can always count on Peter and Joe.

alien space marine
Normally Id go for montreal , But they dont have a chance in hell this year.

I will go for Sens since I live in Ottawa now and it would be cool to have a stanley cup finale here.

A Black Falcon
Given that Montreal is now down 3-1, no, their chances are slim...

And yes, the Eastern Conference is obviously bad. What can the NBA do, though? Realign?

alien space marine
The Corel centre isnt even in Ottawa.

Laser Link
The NBA's problems go far beyond that.

N-Man
Newsflash: Canadiens violate Boston 5-1, Bruins go back to Montreal to face the Habs and their rabid fans. :haha:

Fittisize
I missed the start of the Bruins/Canadiens game. Did the Boston fans boo the Canadian national anthem?

A Black Falcon
But the Canadiens will have to win two in a row...

Fittisize
Well, Montreal will likely win in their own barn. They got all the fan support in the world. Game 7 though, I'm not too sure.

A Black Falcon
How different are hockey stadiums? Is it just the crowd and any funny parts on the ice or are there size differences? Basketball too... I know football (and soccer, I think, though I'm not sure) have all of them the same, and baseball definitely does not, but what about them...

N-Man
Fitts:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/hockey/nhl/specials/playoffs/2004/04/15/bc.hkn.boston.canadianan.ap/index.html

Yanks can be classier than people give them credit for.

Fittisize
Ah yes, just saw a movie clip of it, too. Don Cherry said that the best people in the world are from Boston, but that's only because he coached there and played a single game with a Bruins jersey. It's a nice gesture, no doubt, but I think that the people of Boston just wanted to go out of their way to spite the fans in Montreal. I don't think that any of them really care about Canada enough to cheer loud enough so you couldn't even hear the singer...oh well, though. I hope they cheer that loud again for Oh Canada in Boston for game 7. It gave the Canadiens a nice jump.

I'd like to add that Canadian fans aren't like the ones in Montreal....every hockey game I've ever been to the American anthem has always been applauded nicely. The Montreal fans are, well, French. They don't know a thing about class. It's always the fans in Montreal who boo the American anthem (especially in playoffs), and year after year it's the same thing.

How different are hockey stadiums? Is it just the crowd and any funny parts on the ice or are there size differences?
Nah, all the ice surfaces are the same size. But like, back in the 80's and I think early 90's some arenas had different size ice surfaces. And some arenas even had the players benches on opposite sides of the ice (which is better, because fights always start between coaches and players because the benches are right next to each other).

alien space marine
The Montreal fans are, well, French. They don't know a thing about class. It's always the fans in Montreal who boo the American anthem (especially in playoffs), and year after year it's the same thing.

Dont generalize the french, You dont know if some of the english were booing too in the stadium ,montreal is a diverse city with alot of nationalities there is quite alot of Arabs for example. Americans hate the french because they associate us with snubism which is really just a stereotype. After 9/11 I know all canadians english and french were very sympathetic toward the U.S and there was no booing then.It was the war in Iraq that changed peoples view on the U.S.

Don cherry is a racist it is no secret he hates the french.

Fittisize
I meant Montrealers. They have no class.

A Black Falcon
Nah, all the ice surfaces are the same size. But like, back in the 80's and I think early 90's some arenas had different size ice surfaces. And some arenas even had the players benches on opposite sides of the ice (which is better, because fights always start between coaches and players because the benches are right next to each other).

So baseball's unique, then, in having dramatic differences between its parks... oh I know that the stadiums in all the sports have some differences, but I doubt that in any of the other (major team sports) does it affect the game as much, between the outfield shapes and distances to foul territory...

Fittisize
REPENT SINNERS, ALL HELL HAS BROKEN LOOSE. THE CALGARY FLAMES WON NOT ONLY ONE, BUT TWO PLAYOFF SERIES. AHHHHHH! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!

I could not imagine anything worse for sports if the friggen Flamers won the Stanley Cup. This is horrible. Burn in hell, Calgary.

Ryan
Go Canada!

http://www.tcforums.com/canada.jpg

alien space marine
Go flames! lose and I'll put cold water on you!