View Thread : Dear Americans:

Fittisize
QUIT BITCHING ABOUT YOUR GAS PRICES.

My God, it's all I see on CNN, Fox News and just about every other American news station/program that I can think of. Here's the typical news report that I'm normally seeing nowadays:

"Gas prices in America have reached a record high." que-signs of gas prices which I can't even understand (a *gallon*? What in the hell is that?) then, talking to some idiot with his gigantic SUV in the background: "this is getting out of hand. I'm spending $60, $70 a week on gas!"

Why must you complain about gas prices when there is nothing to complain about? The average gas price in USA is $1.79/ gallon. That's roughly 66 cents per litre in Canadian funds, a price that we would be more than happy to have. Some would kill to pay that little for gas. But I guess Americans envy all the other countries in the world with lower gas prices: ( marked with *)
http://pangea.stanford.edu/~nremy/Reunion/world-map_reunion.jpg

Here's an example of idiots going to the extreme to fight back at these astronomical gas prices:

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/2994551/detail.html

The "Concerned Citizens for Fair Pricing"?? Buy a car that doesn't cost so much to fill up! Dumbasses.

Dark Jaguar
Why do you assume America cares just because the people in charge of the news stations seem to care? Honestly, I agree with you. Gas prices are fine, it's everyone driving by themselves in giant Hummers all the time that are making them all bankrupt. Well, at the very least, if they don't stop, they'll have electric option soon enough. I'm not talking the old electric cars. Those worked, but weren't up to the average moron's standards. These new ones currently being built are race track worthy with very nice distance. Honestly, screw a complex fluid guzzling engine. Soon, they'll be nothing but a memory, like the era when humans actually were needed to operate stores (Wal-Marts around here are making everything from the checkout lanes to product shelving automated).

Geno
I'm getting a regular car... I don't need big vehicles because I only plan to live with one other person. (I hate kids.) This should save me quite a bit off the cost of living. And I won't need welfare since I plan to actually work.

Dark Jaguar
Geno, you FOOL! Little kids are great!

Geno
:erm:

I always was a bit more of an animal person... I guess it comes with being antisocial.

I don't hate all kids... they just wear me out after a while, and I don't think I can handle having any. Though some kids I see in the grocery store get on my nerves with their whining and spitting. For some reason, I'm more patient with animals; I don't know why.

alien space marine
animals cant talk back.

Dark Jaguar
...spitting?

Great Rumbler
In December I could fill up my car for $13, now it costs $20. I don't like that.

Ryan
Gas prices are high in Canada because they keep bottling it and selling it as 'beer'.

Fittisize
Well, drinking gasoline is better than drinking the bottled moose-piss that they call "beer" in the States.

alien space marine
american beer looks like hot piss!

Ryan
Well, drinking gasoline is better than drinking the bottled moose-piss that they call "beer" in the States.
We don't bottle moose piss. Stop thinking everyone is like Canada. We don't even HAVE moose!

Well... not as many as you do.

Besides, everyone knows the best beer comes from Holland.

Dark Jaguar
I like Grizzly

Oh wait... beer...

*Joke police shows up, ROBOCOP STYLE*

Fittisize
Besides, everyone knows the best beer comes from Holland.

Gotta disagree with you there. Marca Bavaria from Brazil is the best beer.

Ryan
Gotta disagree with you there. Marca Bavaria from Brazil is the best beer.
Dunno.

Actually, since my true beer preference is a nice Smirny Ice (sour apple twist!), I'll pick wherever it comes from.

alien space marine
Japanese beer is wierd.

Great Rumbler

People in Canada drink gasoline?

Geno
animals cant talk back.

Exactly. :nodding:

OB1
Parrots can...

alien space marine
Could you have a sensible conversation with a Parrot?

exactly!

Dark Jaguar
Sure I could!

Parrot: Sure I could! Sure I could!

See it agrees!

alien space marine
:muddled:

Geno
:confused2

A Black Falcon
When gas costs over $4 complain. But until then, it's stupid because of how much lower ours are than the rest of the industrialized world...

Maybe it'll even convince a few people not to get SUVs? One can hope...

Great Rumbler
When gas costs over $4 complain.

I'm going to complain anyway.

A Black Falcon
Well it's foolish.

Great Rumbler
What's foolish is me having to pay $20+ for 13 gallons of gas!

alien space marine
I wish I could pay 20-30 bucks for gas.

Great Rumbler
Well, you CAN. You just won't get very much.

EdenMaster
(a *gallon*? What in the hell is that?)

A gallon is a unit of fluid measurement in the system that smart people use, but we've already argued about that enough, so let's move on.

Gas prices <i>are</i> too high. I dread traveling to the gas pumps and shelling out nearly twice as much as I once had to. It's absurd.

Do you have a car? Do you have a job? I don't know about you Fittsy, but I'd rather spend my money on other things instead of shoving it into my gas tank, but that's just me. And no, I don't own an SUV. I despise those monstrosities. I drive a normal sized car, and I still hate the high gas prices. You would too if you had to pay that much.

OB1
It's extremely obvious that ABF has never had a car (or if he has, he never had to pay for his own gas) judging by his comments.

Ryan
I agree. I bet a lot of his liberalism and idealism will fade away when he gets thrust into the real world, and has to support a family, hold a job, and pay for everything.

alien space marine
I wish our goverment would give a shit about gas prices like your does.

A Black Falcon
Just puting things in perspective with Europe... they pay more than we ever have...

N-Man
They also drive millions of unbearably annoying scooters all over their tiny cities.

Fittisize
What the hell are you waiting for then, invest in a scooter.

Great Rumbler
We should all get Segways.

Dark Jaguar
Honestly, gas prices are lower than the rest of the world. I'm surprised everyone here that I THOUGHT were capitalists have this huge problem with a mere fluctuation. They rise, they drop, so do milk prices, almost in concert in some weird dance. I go through milk at a ridiculous rate so I notice.

All this says is we need a superior technological solution to the outmodded combustion engine. Battery power is the solution. Obviously the previous models had their problems, being in just about every way inferior to a combustion vehicle, but those problems, all but ONE which I will get to, have been neatly eliminated. They now run an average of about 500 kilometers on a charge, or 300 miles. That's plenty for standard travel. The issue that's not resolved is that a tank refill takes just a few minutes or so, but a battery charge still takes about 4 hours. While one can easily say "hey, you can just remember to plug it in every night", that doesn't make up for the many emergency type situations where a lot of waiting will be involved, like the person who is travelling cross country and didn't notice they were running low and their battery dies in the middle of the highway. Even if they get someone to help them out, it won't be as simple as getting a portable gas tank. Also, even if they do notice and stop, rather than being able to take off again in a few minutes, time to find something to do for a few hours.

If the public is willing to accept it with this one last design flaw, I suspect two things. Gas stations will vanish. They will be replaced with big movie theaters with parking lots lined with outlets so people can watch a movie while they charge up.

If people AREN'T willing to accept this design flaw, then the hydrogen fuel cell is just around the corner. So, it's either the solution that's ALREADY available with one major flaw, or one that's almost here. Either way, no more pumps and no more complaining.

Dark Jaguar
(Well, unless H2 prices suddenly skyrocket, but that stuff is SO plentiful I don't see that happening. A massive campaign to trick people into thinking it's not that would need to be done, and let's face it, I PERSONALLY will go door to door to inform people that that's not the case if that happens, and so will Edenmaster!

Edenmaster: Huh.. wha? Woawoawoawoawoa!

DJ: Yes, us together shall inform the people!

OB1
I think we need cars like Doc has in Back to the Future II, which run on garbage. That would be perfect!

Great Rumbler
But then the price of garbage would go up...

A Black Falcon
We'd better get working on gas replacements, there's only so much oil in the world and it's running out quickly...

OB1
But then the price of garbage would go up...

I never thought of that.

Dark Jaguar
Yeah, but I can just MAKE MY OWN garbage! You know, like how farmers don't worry about buying food.

OB1
Be..cause they eat garbage?? Weird!

Dark Jaguar
Exactly! ...wait wah?

OB1
Those farmers are smarter than I gave them credit for.

Great Rumbler
So that's how they stay so healthy!!

Geno
They just don't have that much in-society experience. But I guess they don't need it. All they need to know is where to find their farm, the nearest gas station, and the nearest Super Wal*Mart. (Which will usually have a gas station anyway.)

Great Rumbler

What?

OB1
There are gas stations in some Super Walmarts?

Great Rumbler
Yeah, all the ones around here have gas stations. You can only buy gas there if you buy a gas card at the Wal-Mart, though.

Geno
Yup. All the ones I've seen have them.

Fittisize
What's a Super Wal-Mart? How does it differ from a regular Wal-Mart?

Ryan
What's a Super Wal-Mart? How does it differ from a regular Wal-Mart?
The difference is vast. Super Wal-Marts are like friggin battleships.

The big difference is that Super Wal-Marts have groceries, and regular ones do not.

Geno
This is why the Wal*Mart company has the market in a huge stronghold wherever it does business. It has a little of every category cheaper than everyone else.

alien space marine
Mine have groceries.

OB1
We have a Super Walmart here but it doesn't have a gas station... unless it's hidden in the back or something.

Great Rumbler
The gas station is at one end of the parking lot at the Wal-Marts I've been to.

OB1
Huh. Is it cheaper than most gas stations?

Great Rumbler
It's usually a few cents cheaper, but it's not really worth the effort unless you're already going to Wal-Mart to get something.

OB1
Hmm...

Geno
They have gas stations at most of their Sam's stores too. Like Wal*Mart's gas stations, it's usually a few cents cheaper than other ones, but as GR said, they're not really worth it unless you're already headed to Sam's to get something.

ASM: If your Wal*Mart has groceries, it's a Super Wal*Mart. Any Wal*Mart that says "Supercenter" on it is a Super Wal*Mart.

As a matter of fact, I think there are Super Targets too. I saw one in Oklahoma once. Didn't go inside though; it's probably just like Super Wal*Mart. In an oligopoly, all the big names have to keep up with the competition, hence why when Nintendo lowers their prices, Microsoft and Sony usually follow.

OB1
The average gas price in Colorado right now is over $1.80 a gallon. :(

Great Rumbler
It's about $1.70 around here.

OB1
:(

Oh and this thread is idiotic, and whoever agrees with Fittisize is stupid. Yes gas prices are far worse and Europe, but those guys actually have good public transportation no matter where you go (not just in big cities like in the U.S.). They don't have to drive nearly as often as we do, so the comparison is definitely not a fair one. I'd much rather have higher gas prices and a better system of public transportation than what we have right now.

A Black Falcon
But America decided to build our massive highway network, not work seriously on public transportation on a nationwide scale...

OB1
Yes, America is stupid.

A Black Falcon
We actually did the opposite. We tore up the streetcar rails and relaced them with nice, wider roads...

OB1
Yes, it was a genius plan.

A Black Falcon
... for the Ford family.

OB1
Yes.

alien space marine
Canada in alot of places has crap public transportation , Were I used to live the Bus drivers smoked crack and never even went through the stops just skip along to were ever they wanted.

OB1
You should see the cab drivers in Israel. It's madness!

Great Rumbler
Having wide roads instead of good public transportation makes about as much sense as giant, animorphic space-beetles from Texas, which actually DOES make sense when you think about it enough [and are from Texas].

OB1
Does not!!

Geno
Gas in Alabama is better than in most places in the US. It usually ranges around $1.20-$1.30 on a good day, and $1.50-$1.60 on a really bad day.

Great Rumbler
That's dumb.

Geno
Despite our low gas prices, even we have people complaining, perhaps because everyone's used to paying less than a dollar for a gallon of gas.

Ryan
Public transportation sucks. I would hate having to go by other people's schedules and crowd onto smelly, packed trains or buses everytime I wanted to go somewhere.

Geno
We here in Montgomery, AL arrest old black women for not giving up their bus seats to young white men.

...well, okay, not anymore, considering the last time we did that, we caused a big Civil Rights Movement.

OB1
Public transportation sucks. I would hate having to go by other people's schedules and crowd onto smelly, packed trains or buses everytime I wanted to go somewhere.

Yes the smell is usually there (especially in Europe), but it's much more economical than every single person having their own car. And in Europe there would be a bus or tram every few minutes, so you don't need to work around other people's schedules.

A Black Falcon
Public transportation in the US only works if you live in one of the major cities with a good network... which is far from all of them. See places like Phoenix and Atlanta with virtually no public transportation system except for a underused bus network, and LA with its amazing two-block subway...

OB1
Welly, you've been to D.C., right? Well picture a transportation system even bigger than that, and above ground so the smell isn't so bad, and you'll have a pretty good idea of how it works in Croatia. And Croatia's public transportation system isn't great by Western European standards.

Great Rumbler
My only experience with public transportation is I rode the DART [Dallas Area Rapid Transport] train, it was okay except for the fact that a lot of weird people rode on it too.

OB1
All Texas people are weird.

Am I right or WHAT! Eh? EH??

*high fives GR*

alien space marine
Subways systems are pretty dirty and even scary at times.

Montreal has the cleanest subway by far.

Fittisize
I've never even been on a subway! And I've only rode a bus three times in my life. It wasn't bad...I guess.

Dark Jaguar
Face it, England's system is far superior to New York's. This is sorta required due to the fact that New York was way ahead in making one, but never updated it after the fact. A computerized system prevents crashes and also allows for a much higher load of traffic, but a total overhaul is what's needed. Japan, once again, has it's own plans to take other people's ideas and make them better, cleaner, and with a pink cat robot mascot.

Great Rumbler
All Texas people are weird.

Am I right or WHAT! Eh? EH??

*high fives GR*

GR: You know it! *attempts to high-five OB1* *accidentally hits DJ*

DJ: I'm gelatinous!

OB1
GASP!

Yes, England's and Japan's systems of public transportation are shining examples of how it should be done in the states.

Fittisize
Public Transit is just plain old un-American, though

Dark Jaguar
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not, so I'll assume it's not to stay happy.

Ryan
Well, America is gigantic and Japan and England are, in relation, tiny islands. Because of this, a much larger percentage of their landmass is urbanized as compared to us. Same deal with Europe, though obviously not to the same small degree; Europe is smaller and more closely-packed. Therefore, scale is one thing that prevents public transportation from being so widespread here.

Dark Jaguar
I was actually talking more of the big cities. Anyway, that's about right. MOST of America is completely human-less. The only reason people think humans are absolutely everywhere is their own experience. The average person, wherever they have ever travelled, there has always at least been a road under them. That incredibly limited viewpoint is of course going to convince most people that there are no more completely human-less regions. Try driving between towns and just walking off the road for a while. Weeks will pass and you'll die before seeing any signs of civilization, and you'll likely never be found, if you did a good job of walking away from that road the whole time anyway.

Speaking of EVERYONE in Amerca owning their own car, it's not exactly like most Americans have an option. I know in New York having a car is considered as much a luxery as having air conditioning :D, but everywhere ELSE it's just plain needed or you die alone. Also, go to a lot of the lower-middle to low class neighborhoods, where driveways are small anyway, and these days you will find that the streets are filled with cars that couldn't fit in the driveway. These neighborhood roads have all gone one lane, and people have to drive really slow and keep watching in case someone comes the other way so they can try and pull into SOME safe spot to give room for the other to pass or whatever. Obviously something like this, more than anything, shows that we as a society need to change SOMETHING so we stop NEEDING so many vehicles. The roads just can't possibly handle them, and no the solution is NOT just making more roads. A temporary solution to that would be some sort of neighborhood parking lot right at the corner of every block. Long term though, something needs to be done. MAYBE a new form of public transportation that even medium size cities and small towns could find useful, or maybe they just need to invent wormholes already (holding one open that a human could shimmy through requires a jupiter sized mass of dark matter).

OB1
I was not being sarcastic, DJ.

Believe it or not Weltall, not every inch of Europe is packed with a hundred smelly people. If you're in a small rural town then public transportation will be sparse. I'm not suggesting that we have an elaborate tramway system in the middle of Nowhere, Oklahoma, I'm suggesting that there be good public transportation in cities and relatively large towns, such as Fort Collins. Fort Collins is a prime example of people not willing to take the public transportation route even though you can't find a single damn parking space almost anywhere you go. This is especially bad at the University. You can't get around town on foot or even on bike and the public transportation is near non-existent, so if you need to get to work and/or school you have to have a car (like you said, DJ). So there are dozens of thousands of students going to CSU, each one having their own car. And how many parking spaces on-campus? Half a thousand is my rough estimate. Unless you get to school several hours before it opens, you're going to have to park several blocks away, and the campus is so spread apart that you'll be spending more time walking to classes than you will spend inside the classes (which, while being a great exercise, sucks if you're a busy person). It's a huge mess, and the only solution is to have decent public transportation, which will never happen since everyone in U.S. suburbs are huge xenophobes and could never imagine taking a (GASP!) tram to school. Public transportation in regular-sized towns do work, I have seen so myself. And it makes life a hell of a lot easier.

Ryan
Would it work for me? I don't think so. I get in my car, drive to work in ten minutes, park, done. I can go to five different places, whenever I want, without having to wait for a bus. I can transport things too big to fit in a bag. I can drive faster than a bus can. I can get from point A to point B without stopping at fifty other places along the way.

Frankly, I don't see the advantage. In downtown areas, yeah. But if you live in the suburbs, you might have to walk a mile or more to get somewhere populated enough to warrant a bus stop, and it would be fun toting $80 worth of groceries a mile home on foot.

OB1
No, it would not be advantageous for everyone, or for every town in America. However, most of the places I've been to in Virginia desperately need a good tram or bus system. Ah, I forgot the exact name of the town where my sister lives, but you cannot go anywhere in that town without a car. You can't even hop on a bus to go to the mall. It's that bad.

Buying large amounts of groceries is a valid point, but how often do you buy $80 worth of groceries? In Croatia we'd just have to walk a block to get to the nearest grocery store and get some bread and cheese or whatever to last us a few days. That would be impossible here in Fort Collins since there are only huge super markets every few miles rather than small stores every few blocks. So you would need a car to buy groceries. But for everything else, going to work and school, a nice tram system makes a huge difference. Don't knock it 'til you've experienced it.

Great Rumbler
Public transportation wouldn't help me much.

OB1
That's because you live in Nowhere, Oklahoma. :p

Great Rumbler
Well, yeah.

OB1
:D

Dark Jaguar
Did you just say "You can't even take a bus to the mall" as though it's actually a shocker that there's no bus for that? I think one of the malls in Tulsa happens to have a bus stop there, but honestly I have NO idea when the buses even show up, if at all. I'm actually starting to think they were just never removed after some ancient failed experiment by the city to try out a bus system.

OB1
Damn, that's nuts. I mentioned the mall because kids in that town can't even go to the mall to hang out on weekends, they have to hang out at McDonald's.

Ryan
No, it would not be advantageous for everyone, or for every town in America. However, most of the places I've been to in Virginia desperately need a good tram or bus system. Ah, I forgot the exact name of the town where my sister lives, but you cannot go anywhere in that town without a car. You can't even hop on a bus to go to the mall. It's that bad.
I wasn't aware there were many towns in America that you could get around without a car.

Buying large amounts of groceries is a valid point, but how often do you buy $80 worth of groceries? In Croatia we'd just have to walk a block to get to the nearest grocery store and get some bread and cheese or whatever to last us a few days. That would be impossible here in Fort Collins since there are only huge super markets every few miles rather than small stores every few blocks. So you would need a car to buy groceries. But for everything else, going to work and school, a nice tram system makes a huge difference. Don't knock it 'til you've experienced it.
If you have a family, especially with children, $80 is a conservative estimate for a weekly trip.

Also, I took a bus to school for ten years. If anything, that soured my opinion for public transportation.

Here in Richmond, they set up a bus between the city and Chesterfield County, where I live. They called it the Chesterfield Link, and it was designed to bring Chesterfield residents into the city to increase business. What it ended up doing was bringing the scum from inside the murder capital of America out into the suburbs. Link was scrapped, and then brought back. Dunno what's going on with it now.

OB1
I wasn't aware there were many towns in America that you could get around without a car.

Uh, that is precisely my point, Weltall.

If you have a family, especially with children, $80 is a conservative estimate for a weekly trip.

Also, I took a bus to school for ten years. If anything, that soured my opinion for public transportation.

Here in Richmond, they set up a bus between the city and Chesterfield County, where I live. They called it the Chesterfield Link, and it was designed to bring Chesterfield residents into the city to increase business. What it ended up doing was bringing the scum from inside the murder capital of America out into the suburbs. Link was scrapped, and then brought back. Dunno what's going on with it now.
Public transportation in this country sucks. You have not experienced great, efficient, and super-easy public transportation, so the idea confuses and scares you. The rest of the world does it right, and it's not a problem. Most Americans are terrified of change and doing things the simpler, more sensible way. I doubt I'll ever live to see great public transportation in this country, but I can always hope for it.

A Black Falcon
Subways... the one I have the most time on, obviously, is the Boston one. I've been on plenty of others a few times, but I don't remember most that well...

But in Europe those are the same as they are here, just with them in every major city and not just a few (Boston, New York, Washington, etc...). It's railroads and buses that are the big differences. Buses? As OB1 said, Weltall, your experience hasn't exactly been with a great public transportation system...

Trains, though, are the biggest difference. They have them. Going everywhere. And they are very convenient and stop in a lot of towns. All three (funny about that... a year, a month, and a week... :D) times I went to Europe we used them quite a lot... you just can't do anything remotely like that in the US. Oh, size is part of it, but hardly all... they just set up that huge network of rail while we use highways and airplanes...

In the US you only have good rail if you're ... um, in the commuter rail zone in the cities along the Boston-to-Washington cooridor? Though I don't know anything about US commuter rail and have never used it so I can't say much more than that...

Great Rumbler
Japan has bullet trains. I wish I could ride on a bullet train.

Fittisize
Edmonton has a train system within the city. Very easy (and quick, if you minus the 90 minute drive to the city) to get to football games that way.

A Black Falcon
Bullet trains do sound cool... I've heard France has a very fast train as well. Not sure which one is faster though...

But probably the coolest sounding trains would be Maglev. When will they start making those? :)