View Thread : Cube Wars!!!

Great Rumbler
In a recent update at IGN Matt casually mentioned that Cube Wars is in development. The title will be like the Advance Wars on the Game Boy Advance but of course on the GameCube.

The game is apparently being developed by British studio Kuju. The game will be similar to Advance Wars in terms of gameplay but will take place in a fully 3D environment and you can command your units in real-time.

Expect more information during E3 next month.

This is great! First, Fire Emblem is announced for the GC and now Cube Wars!!

Cube-Europe (http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=6367)

OB1
Yeah I read this in the mailbag last night, awesome news. Too bad it won't be a TBS game, but still, CUBE WARS!!!

Great Rumbler
Cube Wars!!

Dark Jaguar
Actually, it's great now because the Wars series is finally differentiating itself from the Fire Emblem series in more ways than merely complexity. Now Nintendo has both TBS and RTS series going on. If it's real time, better hope that you can choose from many nations and that they are dramatically different in play style. Aside from that, simplicity is fine.

OB1
IS isn't developing it though, so I'm not as excited about it as I am for FE.

A Black Falcon
Yes, no IE = not as much excitement... still, it's good news.

Great Rumbler
I'm sure Nintendo is going to have a hand in it, like they did with Metroid.

A Black Falcon
Is this them?
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/o,100/j,3722/

Great Rumbler
Probably.

big guy
isn't this the company that was rumored for a short time to be developing castlevania for GC?

Great Rumbler
I haven't heard anything about that.

A Black Falcon
Neither have I...

OB1
I have, and it turned out to be false.

And it's IS, ABF, not IE. ;)

Great Rumbler
IE is Internet Explorer...

A Black Falcon
E, S, same difference... :)

OB1
You are etupid. :p

Great Rumbler
Yse.

OB1
Haha, ws ars so cool!

Great Rumbler
Ws totally ars!

OB1
ABF ie a rstard!

A Black Falcon
'same difference' is so stupid... I don't know, it just sounds stupid. Which is why I used it there. :D

OB1
You think you'rs just eo eaeey, don't you?

A Black Falcon
Your arguements will assure you of total victory, for sure!

OB1
What ars you talking about?

N_A
I wouldn't be too excited yet. Have you realized who Kuju is ? They're some crappy start up company, and their last peice of shit, Warhammer 40k Fire Warrior was the absolute worst FPS I've ever played (coming from an ardent fan of the 40k universe).

I don't know why the hell Nintendo would even work with these guys unless they just need a few drones to contract the programming to while they design it themselves.

Great Rumbler
Remember though, Retro had never made a single game before Metroid Prime, same goes for Silicon Knights. And then there's N-Space who made a few sub-par games but Giest looks like it could be a cool game. Don't underestimate Nintendo's creative influence.

OB1
Yes, just look at Rare's first game without Nintendo and you'll see how great their magical touch is.

A Black Falcon
Lets hope they can pull it off with these guys and the ones making Geist, but I'm not holding my breath.

Great Rumbler
Yes, just look at Rare's first game without Nintendo and you'll see how great their magical touch is.

Exactly.

Lets hope they can pull it off with these guys and the ones making Geist, but I'm not holding my breath.

Nintendo's got a great track record of helping companies make great games, so I don't see why this should be different. Maybe I'll be surprised, but I don't think so.

A Black Falcon
True, they do seem to have a good record of getting more out of teams than they have before, that's for sure...

Great Rumbler
Yeah, Retro had a ton of problems going on before Nintendo finally stepped in set things straight. There's no doubt in my mind that MP wouldn't be anywhere near as good as it is without Nintendo's help.

A Black Falcon
Umm, Retro is different, it was a Nintendo startup... yes, it had problems, but it had never produced a game so it isn't the same kind of thing.

Great Rumbler
No, they weren't a Nintendo start up. Nintendo bought some of their stock at first and let them run under their own management but things were really getting out of control [slow game development, little results, poor management, ect.] and Nintendo finally stepped in and bought them out completely and that's when things got on track. You're right it's not the same, but I still think it was due to Nintendo that things turned out the way they did.

A Black Falcon
Possibly, but unlike those other cases since Retro didn't actually release anything we can't know for sure.