View Thread : Teh HyPE!!!111!!!!11

OB1
Man, those crazy ign guys have been teasing the hell out of us for weeks now, indicating that there is going to be something huge from Nintendo at E3. Here's a small sample of their recent posts at the boards:

http://impact.arc.nasa.gov/gallery/ac91-0193.jpg
Only six more days....
-----signature-----

Mary Jane Irwin
Editor, IGNcube
She's a woman. Don't take her opinions seriously. They are not made for critical thinking. -- Yamauchi

Oh geez, TEH MEGANTNONN!!11 Good grief...

I attended last year's conference -- and I think you can tell how much I liked it by the face I was making in that infamous photo Matt put in the article back then...

I might not be able to go to the conference this year (too much setup work to do in the E3 hall), but I'm really pumped about this one.

The variety of titles is great (who would have thought that we'd see both Fire Emblem and Advance Wars on GameCube?) and the "little" surprises Nintendo has in store are going to rock. Saying anything more would ruin the surprise -- but take it from me, you WILL be happy. So expect some brighter looking faces this time around.

Oh, and the DS lineup made that confusing piece of hardware jump way higher in my wishlist.

Can't wait till next week so we can finally talk about these new games...

Peer

And some links Matt posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0127723/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047715/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0576298/

And Nintendork's article on this matter :) :

May 05, 2022
IGN Has Secret; Double Pinky Swore Not to Tell

In a startling turn of events, IGN announced that they know of a major secret but they will not, in fact, tell anyone about it. "I know something you don't know, nanny nanny boo boo, stick your head in doo doo," said Matt Casamassina, Editor-in-Chief of IGNcube.

"Nintendo informed us of a bombshell that will definately excite readers," Fran Mirabella III, Editor-in-Chief of IGN Insider, explained, "But we're not going to tell you about it."

"We just wanted you to be aware that we are super cool friends with Nintendo and you don't even, like, go to their birthday parties or anything."

Don Donaldson, Editor-in-Chief of IGN Custodial Engineering, told Nintendorks that, "I don't know what these bastards eat, but I wish they'd stop exploding it out of their asses. I thought I worked in an office building, not a horse stable."
Posted by Chris at 11:38 PM

I'm not trying to get too hyped up, but those IGN guys better be right.

Sacred Jellybean
MEGATON RETURNZ!!!!!!!!11 I can't believe no one has replied to this yet. I guess I'm the only night owl/early riser/<strike>loser</strike> err... busy college student?

Hey, does anyone have that Megaton image with Link anymore? That was hilarious. :D

In all seriousness, though, I'm going to ignore putting any thought into this hype best I can with aid from everything from prostitutes to self-injury to prescription drugs I clipped from Limbaugh. Okay, maybe that's not that serious... but I'll try not to get too excited in the mean time.

OB1
Yeah I'm also trying to stay cool about it, as the way they're hyping this up the only thing that could be so huge would be Nintendo announcing an online plan, Nintendo announcing a merger/buy-out of another major gaming studio, Nintendo announcing that the new GC peripheral is a taco maker, etc. Not even a single game--no matter how awesome it is--warrants this much crazy hype.

OB1
Just be aware that in the past IGN has hyped up such surprise news stories as TWINE being announced for the N64 (which wasn't that great), and the Lord of the Rings games. So it could just be something dumb like that. Though I don't think it's a new game as that Mary Jane IGN editor said "It's better than connectivity". Well just about any new announcement could be better than connectivity, but why use a peripheral device as a comparison to a new game? They must be referring to the new GC peripheral or an online plan, though Matt-IGN said that there won't be anything online from Nintendo at E3...

Honestly, Animal Crossing Online alone would do it for me.

lazyfatbum
Maybe they found out where the bumps on pickles come from.

OB1
Well the bumps are on cucumbers before they turn into pickles, so you have to ask how they got on the cucumbers first. :D

Matt's been saying that this whole megaton thing is just their way of having fun with their readers and that it's nothing that huge, but that he is as exited about it as he is for MP2 and RE4. So maybe it is a game. Kid Icarus or Earthbound maybe? Pleeeaase, Nintendo?

A Black Falcon
"it's better than connectivity"... one of the least impressive bits of praise I can think of... :)

OB1
Heh, indeed.

Though I must admit that Pacman Vs. is insanely fun, as I'm sure FS+ will be.

A Black Falcon
I'm not saying Pac-Man Vs. doesn't look like fun. It does, within its scope. But as the star title for E3? Come on!

OB1
Yes, we've been over this before.

A Black Falcon
True. But now you're getting excited again and given that Nintendo doesn't seem to have learned much...

OB1
Metroid Prime 2, Wind Waker 2, Star Fox 2, a new GBA Zelda game (they better show it), and a brand-new handheld system alone will make this E3 Nintendo's best in years. And that's not even counting the "awesome secret Nintendo game" that those IGN people are hyping up like crazy. I'm much more cynical and pessimistic regarding Nintendo than you are, but I am very excited about E3.

Great Rumbler
I better be something awesome or I'm going to go over to IGN's headquarters and personally insult them for being stupid...and then go outside and steal that cool license place that Matt has.

OB1
Yeah... but you wouldn't be able to use the plates...

Great Rumbler
That's not the point.

OB1
Right..

lazyfatbum
...Okay, rumor mill grinding away in my head, so here we go.

Capcom released news that they will bring 5 games to the Nintendo Gamecube.

In no particular order:

Killer 7
Resident Evil 4
Dead Pheonix
Viewtiful Joe
P.N.03 (Product Number 3)

Almost a year ago, Capcom strangely halted production on Dead Pheonix.

In Dead Pheonix you played as a man with wings made of fire who could shoot bolts of energy. You could fly in 3-D and had full movement. The level designs were described as "A good mix of action and puzzle" and each level had end-level bosses.

Capcom gave no reason for stopping the production of Dead Pheonix.

Now, remember a game called Dinosaur Planet? It was a completely new franchise from Rare. New characters, new worlds, the whole nine yards. Nintendo took an interest to it and asked Rare to re-do the game using existing Nintendo characters from the Starfox series.

The same people who begged for another Metroid usually brought up Kid Icarus in the same statement. Nintendo knows that Kid Icarus could bring returning fans and new ones, an already installed demographic but also with beautiful graphics and 3-D gameplay that would bring in new fan bases.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, i'm saying that it's just weird that Dead Pheonix fell off the map and now news sites are hinting at a big game announcement.

Maybe i'm reaching, what do you guys think?

OB1
Actually we talked about this very thing last year. :D

It could happen!

Dark Jaguar
That would be TOTALLY awesome! I do remember another old NES game involving a flying awesome guy actually.

Didn't Pit only learn to fly by the end of the game? It really wasn't about flight at all except at that last part. Still, it would be awesome to have a game with Kid Icarus gameplay only with FLIGHT as the main method of doing pretty much everything. When I think Kid Icarus, I think of a game with a LOT of exploration but in stages. It really was a gem of a game, that many things have done before, but if they add flight, it could make the next Kid Icarus game unique again. Yeah, I know Banjo and Kazooie fly, but it's only sometimes. This would have to be pretty much all the time excepting maybe a few stages. It would also I think have to involve massive worlds as opposed to singular tunnels, since Star Fox could do that.

Anyway lazy, yes I think that would be completely cool. However, that certainly is reaching quite a bit. They did it before, they did it TWICE before (I believe Metroid Prime was originally another game right?), but that's no evidence they are doing it because they haven't said a single thing about anything close to that to hint at it. Sure, there's no proof it WON'T happen, but that's not enough.

On that thought, if they ever did make a 3D Kid Icarus game, what would the whole "mood" be anyway? The original Kid Icarus was very much a light hearted adventure loosely based on greek mythology, VERY loosely (also there were metroids). I think that they could easily make it into a serious story if they wanted to, but they could also very easily keep it just a fun lighthearted thing. Either one would be fine for me, so long as they keep the greek mythology and keep themselves freed enough to twist and change and add to and even ignore it however they want.

Great Rumbler
That would certaintly be really cool if it turned to be true and it would send shockwaves through the gaming community no doubt about that.

OB1
*cough* (http://tcforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963&highlight=dead+phoenix)

:)

Great Rumbler
I know.

OB1
GR, you gotta see Battlefield Baseball. You'll love it.

N_A
Better not be IGN over exagerating things, but of course, if it were true, Nintendo always has something interesting to show at e3.

Smoke-X
No matter how good it is it won't be able to compete with our imaginations.

Unless it's the "Nintendo Online Network" and the first game is Mario 64 2 with Co-Op.

OB1
Right now I'm just expecting Mario 128, Kid Icarus, or that rumored "Mushroom Kingdom Hearts" game.

lazyfatbum
Man, that was back when OB1 spelled it "Damnit" and always confused me.

OB1
What?

Great Rumbler
Maybe it'll be a Virtual Reality Online Network that allows you to play games in the 4th dimension.

Dark Jaguar
And what direction is that then? Point in it.

Actually, I believe I've read that the next level above 3 dimensions has to be at LEAST 6 dimensions.

It would actually be pretty easy to get a game to calculate positions and such in 4 dimensions, if you consider how it manages the first 3. The problem is of course actually DISPLAYING that. While you could develop a maze in such a way, or higher, and have the computer actually work out where you are, the only way we could see that is in numbers, basically "you are at coordinates 2, 89,102,4,76,12" type stuff.

A Black Falcon
I'm not expecting that much this year... but I'll obviously be happy if something big does happen... (if it's good that is...)... :)

Great Rumbler
And what direction is that then? Point in it.

*Points back in time* Satisfied?

OB1
ABF, how could you not be expecting much? The DS alone should be awesome. And the secret Nintendo game shouldn't dissapoint. But hey, maybe lower expectations will only make you appreciate it more. :)

A Black Falcon
I meant like surprise titles or something... oh, Nintendo will have some stuff, but super-cool? We'll see. DS could be interesting, certainly... but still.

And as for the rest of the show, I don't see a whole lot to really care about, unless Sega''s 'announcement' is actually something good...

OB1
There is going to be at least one cool surprise GC game at the show.

Great Rumbler
And lots of cool GC games that we already know about.

A Black Falcon
But more screenshots of games I've already seen pictures of doesn't excite me, really... more details does some, but not as much as new games...

Great Rumbler
The DS is supposed to have 30 games shown at E3, there's you're new games.

A Black Falcon
So let's hope they look good...

OB1
Ok, here's what's going to be shown off on tuesday that you no very little about or have not seen anything from:

-Wind Waker 2
-Secret Nintendo game
-30 friggin' DS games
-Zelda: The Minish Cap (new GBA Zelda)
-Your butt

Great Rumbler
That's a pretty good list...all except for that last one. I don't think I've heard of that game before. *double-entendre*

OB1
I forgot to mention Star Fox 2, which we've only seen early multiplayer crap from.

A Black Falcon
Oh, sure, those things will be interesting, probably... but something like more shots of MP2 or PM2 (:)) isn't thrilling. Some game details would be interesting, but nothing you really need...

What I do want to see is details about the DS, and its games...

OB1
Good grief, nothing pleases you. This should be Nintendo's best E3 in ages.

A Black Falcon
I agree it does look to be better than last year's...

OB1
It could even be better than E3 '02.

Great Rumbler
It could even be better than Spaceworld '00...well maybe not.

OB1
I gotta admit, the fact that none of the surprises have leaked is pretty unbelievable. No leaked DS hardware pictures, no leaked DS game screens, and the surprise game is still a surprise. Bravo, Nintendo!

A Black Falcon
Being cynical I could say 'or they have nothing', but even I don't really think that's true...

Great Rumbler
Cynicism is for stupid people! Optimism rules!!

OB1
What an idiotic thing to say, ABF. There is definitely a surprise title for the Gamecube and the DS will definitely be shown. Don't act stupid.

A Black Falcon
See what I mean about you not reading my posts?

OB1
:whatever:

A Black Falcon
As in, you took me completely wrong, as usual.

OB1
You said that you "don't really think that's true". Of course it's not.

Great Rumbler
So, basically that post had no real point.

A Black Falcon
I just meant that lack of evidence is not evidence of something.

Dark Jaguar
Which is a VERY good point despite the argument.... what are we talking about here?

OB1
Tacos, I think. :dunno:

Great Rumbler
Something like that, probably.

OB1
Apprently this picture is a list of all (or most) of the games on the show floor. But I can't read anything, argh! Is anyone here good enough with photoshop or whatever??

http://img22.photobucket.com/albums/v66/bobslidell/Picture_27.jpg

A Black Falcon
What were we talking about? That OB1's statement that because nothing got out, Nintendo has big plans and is really good at secrecy, is false. It COULD be true, but it just as likely could not be true... never take lack of evidence as evidence. It's one of the prime steps to bad logic.

Dark Jaguar
Ah... and with that... eh...

OB1
Wait, that's not my logic, stupid! Matt Cassamassasina and several other gaming journalists said that Nintendo have some big surprises for the show, and I said that it was surprising that none of them have leaked yet. I've been saying this for weeks!

A Black Falcon
Well some stuff leaked now.

OB1
But not the big stuff.

A Black Falcon
Probably not, no.

OB1
Official info from a mod at the Nintendo.com boards: (http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=np_gw&message.id=166737)

* Nintendo's new "next generation" console will only be shown in the form of technical specs.
* The Minish Cap will be shown off in playable form, and will be released stateside in Fall 2004
* The Wind Waker 2 (Which will have it's title revealed - and I can't tell you it) will be released stateside in March 2005
* A Zelda title for the Nintendo DS will officially be announced, although no footage is reported to be ready for show on the floor.
* Nintendo will unvield it's info on the NEXT GameBoy, which will be PURE WIRELESS technology (meaning wi-fi!)

Hell yeah! Most of my predictions are coming true!

A Black Falcon
It'll be SO hard for you to win, with all the people who came up with as many things as you... :)

OB1
Yeah...

you shut up!

Anyhow, the above news is great. N5 info, Gameboy Next info, Wind Waker 2 isn't the official title (hey it's possible what with their titles for MP2, Advance Wars cube, Starfox), and info on Zelda DS.