View Thread : Look behind you...a three-headed monkey!

UltraMarioMan
After finding my copy of Sam and Max Hit the Road a while back (Death to Lucasarts for murdering the sequel :( ) I've been slowly going through my piles of junk in my closet. I just found my copys of Monkey Island 1&2. Whoo!

A Black Falcon
I wish I could find my copy of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis like that! :(

Great Rumbler
Sam and Max is an awesome game. Probably one of the best point-and-click adventures of the 90's.

A Black Falcon
I haven't played it, but I have definitely heard that it's one of Lucasarts' best... of course I think all of Lucasarts' adventure games are great (I don't know of any of their major releases that could be called less than great except for maybe Monkey Island 4...), but that only makes that one even better I'd say.

I wish that I'd lost Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle and not Indy. I always liked Indy a lot more than DOTT... I know DOTT is good, and funny, but for some reason I never liked it as much as most of the other Lucasarts adventures I've played...

Great Rumbler
I haven't played it

Well, that's a mistake!

OB1
I could make a copy of Indy for you, ABF. Just give me money for shipping.

A Black Falcon
Well sorry for our computer company not giving us Sam & Max too... that's where we got MM: DOTT and Indy Fate from (as well as Rebel Assualt). And with two LA adventure games I didn't see much need to buy a third then...

On the subject of missing games (not sold, lost). I know I've mentioned it before, becuase it happened a couple of years ago, but I'm still really annoyed that I managed to lose six games, presumably all at the same time (since all were in the same place in paper sleeves, not the plastic cases...)

Indy Fate I really miss (I never finished it! Hard...). MechCommander Gold I beat and hadn't played in a while so that's not quite as bad (though it'd be nice to still be able to play the fun multiplayer mode and I never beat the expansion (included on the Gold disc), so I do wish I hadn't lost it...). Worms Armageddon I don't mind so much because I still have the very similar Worms 2 (you really only need one of Worms 2/Armageddon/World Party, they're nearly identical...). Death Rally I beat but it'd still be great to have because it's a very fun racer. Incoming was a fun, if simplistic, action/flying game. Sure, it runs too fast on my computer and wasn't the greatest game ever made, but it's fun once in a while and I was hoping that someday I might actually finish the thing... Ultim@te Race Pro is an okay racing game. But it has only four tracks ("sixteen" with the weather effects, mirror, and reverse modes), has no campaign (only single races here...), and won't run at all on my computer, so this one I minded losing least. Fun arcade racing, but there's not much there... and it doesn't work on my PC anyway.

For console games I've only ever lost one. Micro Machines V3 for GBC. Very fun racing game, and much better than Micro Machines 1&2: Twin Turbo for GBC (that was a poorly done port if there's ever been one...), so I'm still annoyed that I managed to lose it somehow.

And I have the Monster Truck Madness CD but lost the insert with the CD Key on it so I haven't played it in a very long time. But from what I remember, I don't think I'm missing much... :)

As for finding lost games, not like that. I have found boxes in the closet with games that I had forgotten the location of, but not just loose CDs... I try to keep track of where games are, and don't just leave them lying around to get lost all by themselves.

Oh, and I wish I had Monkey Island 2. I have the rest of the series, and if it's as good as MI1 I definitely wish I had it. :) ... but I also wish I had Loom, The Dig, Sam & Max, Full Throttle... am I missing any? I think that's all of the major LA adventures that I don't have, anyway.

Great Rumbler
I lost my copy of Caesar 2 somewhere, I'd really like to know where that game went.

A Black Falcon
Caesar II was, when I played it, one of the hardest games I had ever played... the first thing that comes into my head in relation to that game is that CG movie with you as a galley slave. :S

As I've said before, the only mission I ever beat was Sardinia.

Ryan
I haven't played it, but I have definitely heard that it's one of Lucasarts' best... of course I think all of Lucasarts' adventure games are great (I don't know of any of their major releases that could be called less than great except for maybe Monkey Island 4...), but that only makes that one even better I'd say.

I wish that I'd lost Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle and not Indy. I always liked Indy a lot more than DOTT... I know DOTT is good, and funny, but for some reason I never liked it as much as most of the other Lucasarts adventures I've played...
If you want to 'lose' DOTT, I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands. I've (to some extent) been after that game for years.

Great Rumbler
I have a copy of it, but I don't intend to lose it anytime soon.

A Black Falcon
Buy it from Lucasarts then! They sell a collection with DOTT, Sam & Max, and Indy Fate... (only sold together)

http://www.lucasarts.com/companystore/adventure/

They also do still sell Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island 1-3 Collection (only sold together), and Monkey Island 4. Not The Dig or Loom.

... so why haven't I got that? Well before I lost Indy I didn't want to buy three games just to get one... but now I don't have two of them so $30 for the three seems like a better deal... but I just prefer to buy games in stores, that's probably what it goes down to. I've never bought a game over the net. And none of these are still available in stores.

Darn game collections... because of them I have second copies of some games. Two copies of Descent, two of Lords of the Realm II, two of Rally Championship, two of Rebel Assualt... but sometimes it's welcomed when the collections include improved games. Lemmings Paintball included a improved, Win95 version of classic Lemmings in the box (which still actually works, unlike Lemmings Paintball itsself...), a nice update on the DOS version I also have; Civ II Gold made the game run better in Win95 (I'd had some issues with the Win3.1 version) and added multiplayer (and made me buy a fourth Civilization II product). Similar deal with Warcraft II BNE. :)

Dark Jaguar
Maybe you should start. Yes, I know the satisfaction of actually having the thing you want IN YOUR HANDS right then is a huge bonus. I mean, who wants to ditch some cash and have nothing to show for it until a few weeks later? Not I, but when you have to, you have to, and it'll be worth it when it arrives. Actually, depending on the shipping, it might actually only take one week. I've bought a couple things online before, and generally I don't enjoy the prospect of having to wait for anything I buy, but sometimes it's just a must.

A Black Falcon
Plus, I don't have a credit card.

A Black Falcon
Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle... great artwork. Great style. Very funny lines. The humor is good. Classic Maniac Mansion (yup, the full game) is hidden in the game. But... well, when I first played it I got stuck on a pretty early puzzle that annoyed me a lot. I did play it again since (thanks, SCUMMVM!), and it is a very good game, but I still think that Lucasarts has done better (though it's definitely a classic and while I may think it's not quite as good as Indy (or, probably, Sam & Max), that's not very bad because those three games are easily three of the best adventure games ever...).

Indy was much more serious, so the environments didn't grab your eye quite as much -- more realistic, after all -- but it's also great and I just thought it was more fun to play. It's also got replay value (three routes through the game!) and action parts... and a very well done story, of course. Great game. I think I got stuck (and gave up) in an ice cave or something, though...

Dark Jaguar
Try getting a debit card then. As this whole board talked about before, it just draws from your regular account, and it works EXACTLY like a credit card so every single place, EVERY SINGLE ONE, that will accept that companie's credit cards also, by default, accepts a debit card from that company.

A Black Falcon
If my bank has that it probably would be a good idea, yeah...

There is only one problem with older adventure games: interface. Oh, sure, these three have menus and stuff and not text (I don't know of any LA text-entry adventures...), but there are a lot more options -- what is it, 12? Compared to now when adventures have, typically, three (Look, Talk, and Interact)... it adds more of a learning curve to the game. Nothing like a text-based game, but it's not quite as intuitive...