View Thread : HOLY HANNA!! @_@

UltraMarioMan
http://www.wolfsshipyard.mystarship.com/Drawings/SW/Eclipse.gif

EdenMaster
...okay. And?

OB1
What...

bountyhunter
I remember some one bringing the Eclipse class up in an arguement with me on what better startrek or starwars, now keep in mind I like both, but when he brought up the eclipse I was kind of at a loss to beat it, I mean after all it can destroy a plannet just like the deathstar only a little longer.. there's no way the enterprise (any, hell all) could beat this thing let alone dent it, hell I don't even think the paint job would be touched by any startrek ship...

My answer was found in these little suckers.
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/aliens/article/70737.html

Let that be a lesson to any starwars fan, Tribbles can destroy even the biggest ship.

Dark Jaguar
I summon Tribble and use the Multply magic card!

UltraMarioMan
Its how much larger then the Executor it is. Talk about overkill!

A Black Falcon
Where is that great comparison image with all kinds of ships in size comparion, including stuff like Borg Cubes... though Borg Cubes would have nothing on a SSD. Star Trek ships just don't have enough firepower... :)

Dark Lord Neo
Where is that great comparison image with all kinds of ships in size comparion, including stuff like Borg Cubes... though Borg Cubes would have nothing on a SSD. Star Trek ships just don't have enough firepower... :)
If the federation really wanted to they could probably build a massive ship like that. But they design their ships as multi-purpose vessels and mainly use them for exploration

Dark Jaguar
What about the borg Super Cube? Borg ships are modular in design, meaning that they can not only boost the size, but the fighting power of a borg ship just by connecting it in 3x3x3 patterns to reach the desired size and firepower.

A Black Falcon
If the federation really wanted to they could probably build a massive ship like that. But they design their ships as multi-purpose vessels and mainly use them for exploration

The Federation is small potatoes compared to Star Wars. It's a little group of stars in a corner of the galaxy with sluggish warp ships (except the Borg with Transwarp, but that has limitations). Star Wars is galactic. Many more ships, large ships... faster warp, more weapons on them, etc, etc... the Federation would never win alone, that's for sure. As for super ships, they could try but their resources just don't match what Star Wars can do so they'd fall short there too. :)

The Borg, that'd be a reasonable threat. They certainly have a lot of ships that are tough to kill... I have faith in Star Wars, though.

Great Rumbler
That's quite a large space battleship.

Sacred Jellybean
God dammit... I thought for sure UMM was going to post something interesting this time. Duped again!

;)

Great Rumbler
Yeah! Stop getting our hopes up, UMM!

Dark Lord Neo
They've never said how fast the Star Wars ships could move in the movies. They've said let's go to light speed, that's the closest they've got to specifying. So if you used that number they would in fact be smaller. They also don't specify how big that galaxy is, it could actually be quite small

Dark Jaguar
Apparently the books say something, and thanks to retcon, they fit in all sorts of explanations, like "han solo doesn't know about how hyperdrive works".

A Black Falcon
The galaxy is a normal-sized galaxy. Sorry. :)

And while yes, there are some issues because of innacuracies and stuff, they have defined some things. Like it's fast. :D You can get across the galaxy in a matter of days or weeks, not years like in Trek...

One example of an issue: ESB. Going from Hoth to Bespin with no hyperdrive, even at the very fast sublight speeds Star Wars ships can hit, and how close those systems are, would take a matter of months...

Dark Lord Neo
But we can't say for sure it's a regular sized galaxy, it could be a little one with a whole bunch of planets close together.

A Black Falcon
It's not! That just would not make sense... it's been defined better than that, in the EU anyway.

Dark Jaguar
What's this "EU" we keep hearing about?

A Black Falcon
Expanded Universe. Books, comics, etc.

EdenMaster
Its how much larger then the Executor it is. Talk about overkill!

*leaves*

Great Rumbler
Hoth and Bespin are actually pretty close to each other [relatively], according to the map that came with the hardback release of Vector Prime.

One example of an issue: ESB. Going from Hoth to Bespin with no hyperdrive, even at the very fast sublight speeds Star Wars ships can hit, and how close those systems are, would take a matter of months...

In RotJ though, the small fighters are all outside the capital ships when they go into hyperspace.

OB1
That map on the back of Vector Prime is not to scale.

Great Rumbler
I know it's not to scale, that's why I said "relatively".

A Black Falcon
Yeah, that map isn't to scale. But it shows relative planet locations. Yes, they are close to eachother. The dots are very close. But think about it... this is 'close' in star terms. As in that is a matter of light-years. Think of Alpha Centauri (7 light years, right?), the closest star to this solar system... even SW ships, with very fast sublight speeds, would take years. Hoth and Bespin are obviously a lot closer than that, but it'd still take weeks to months.

Though, that idea actually makes more sense than anything else, IMO. It also gives Luke a lot more time with Yoda to learn things, after all... I think months would make more sense than days or a week or two or something like that.

In RotJ though, the small fighters are all outside the capital ships when they go into hyperspace.

Because Rebel fighters all have hyperdrives. Imperial fighters don't, but Rebel ones do. Remember ESB? The hyperdrive on the Falcon BROKE! They had to hide and get away with the garbage! ... remember?

UltraMarioMan
I always figured Hoth and Bespin were in the same star system. With Hoth being really far from the star and Bespin being at Earth distance.

A Black Falcon
That would have been a better solution, but someone decided they were in different ones... and as I said, I don't have a problem with the 'month or two' thing because it gives Luke more time to learn from Yoda, which seems more realistic. :)

Great Rumbler
Because Rebel fighters all have hyperdrives. Imperial fighters don't, but Rebel ones do. Remember ESB? The hyperdrive on the Falcon BROKE! They had to hide and get away with the garbage! ... remember?

I see what you're talking about now. For some reason I thought that you were talking about Luke. Yes, it would take Han a long time to get to Bespin with a busted hyperdrive. But it never actually says how long it took them, so it could have been months in the movie, just not stated. Luke does say that he's learned a lot from Yoda, which seems to indicate that he's been there for some time.

A Black Falcon
Exactly as I was saying. :)