View Thread : Stephen Chow

Great Rumbler
I recently started watching several Stephen Chow movies and I just realized [again] that he is one of the funniest actors, quite possibly, in the world. The sad thing is most people at TC haven't heard of him, with the exception of OB1, which begs the question of why I'm making a thread about him. The answer to that is simple: Right now I'm bored and I can't think of anything else to make a thread about.

Anyway, probably my favorite Stephen Chow movie is Forbidden City Cop, which also happens to be one of the funniest movies ever. Stephen Chow's kind of like Jackie Chan, except with an emphasis on crazy situations and dialog instead of action and kung-fulery, although there is some.

If Disney ever releases an un-edited version of Shaolin Soccer on DVD [if they're smart they will] then you should all go out and buy because it's a great and hilarious movie.

Fittisize
Will Ferrel, Chris Rock, and Dave Chapelle are the funniest actors/comics/people in the world. Not Stephen Chow.

OB1
:rolleyes: This coming from the guy who thinks all Asian movies are dumb, so I really don't think anyone intelligent is going to take your opinion seriously.

Indeed GR, Steven Chow is the best. For those of you who've never seen one of his movies (which is most of you), imagine the nonsense comedy of Mel Brooks fused with the physical comedy of Jackie Chan and you'll get a rough idea of what to expect. Steven Chow is completely original, but if I had to make a comparison that'd be it.

And I agree that Forbidden City Cop is his best. Of the 18 movies of his that I own on DVD, that one's my favorite. We should chat on msn so that I can tell you which DVDs are the best to get.

BTW Miramax is supposedly releasing the uncut version of the movie on R1 DVD this month, but I'd wait for confirmation on its length and quality of the subs (if they're accurate or not) before I'd rent or buy it.

Fittisize
:rolleyes: This coming from the guy who thinks all Asian movies are dumb, so I really don't think anyone intelligent is going to take your opinion seriously.

Whoa now, don't flatter yourself too much. Watching obscure foreign films and knowing about relatively unknown "comedians" doesn't necessarily make you intelligent.

OB1
:whatever:

I don't believe a person could sound any more ignorant than you, Fittisize. And have you actually ever seen a Steven Chow movie before?

Great Rumbler
Will Ferrel, Chris Rock, and Dave Chapelle

Will Ferrel is funny, but he hasn't done a whole lot that's been great after he left SNL, although Elf is supposed to be pretty good. Dave Chapelle, from what I've seen, is hilarious, such as his Rick James impersonation, although I've only seen that episode.

Watching obscure foreign films and knowing about relatively unknown "comedians" doesn't necessarily make you intelligent.

Neither does watching only well-known domestic films with famous comedians. ;)

Anyway, here's the movies he's been in that I've seen:
-Forbidden City Cop
-God of Cookery
-Shaolin Soccer
-Fight Back to School
-King of Comedy
-Chinese Oddysey Part 1 and 2

OB1
Fitts is just a xenophobe.

The DVDs you need to get are the Mei Ah Remastered Fight Back to School 1 & 2, All For the Winner, Tricky Brains, and Lawyer Lawyer. Those are some very high-quality discs. Then get Love on Delivery, which isn't on a good dvd but is one of his best movies.

Great Rumbler
Also, Stephen Chow has directed several of the movies he's starred in.

Another hilarious actor is Man Tat Ng, who's been in a lot of Chow's movies.

OB1
You mean Ng Man Tat. :p The last name goes first.

Yeah Steven Chow is just amazing, he does everything from directing, producing, writing, and starring in his own movies. No other living comedian today is as talented and versatile as Chow.

Great Rumbler
Or as crazy.

OB1
Indeed.

Great Rumbler
I just got done watching God of Cookery again. That is a crazy movie, like the part where one of his addoring female fans wants to present him with flowers. :D

OB1
Haha, yes I show that to everyone who comes to my house. That cross-dresser is in several Steven Chow movies.

Great Rumbler
Yeah, as are the women, who for some unknown reason, dress as men and put on fake mustaches.

OB1
That's moy len tau comedy for you.

Great Rumbler
Yeah, I guess so. *has no idea what "moy len tau" means but pretends to understand anyway*

Next I'm watching Chinese Odyssey 1, I'm on a Stephen Chow marathon if you couldn't tell. That's another great movie. My favorite parts is the one where Chow and his assistant master are trapped in the cave with the two witches and the part where they get the invisibilty amulets.

OB1
It basically means "nonsense". Nonsense comedy.

Great Rumbler
Ah. Yeah, his movies are definitely moy len tau comedy.

OB1
The best!

Great Rumbler
They are!

OB1
Yup!!

bountyhunter
o.0.
I notice you guys didn't bag chris rock, is that cause he could piss off jackie chan, and because jackie chan can kick stephen chows butt chris rock could annoy the hell out of stephen chow?

Great Rumbler
No, it's because I don't even know who Chris Rock is.

Actually, I do. I just haven't seen anything he's been in or done.

OB1
Chris Rock can be funny. And what's all this about pissing off and kicking ass?

bountyhunter
^_^

You guys were comparing Stephen to jackie chan and some one brought up chris farrel and chriss rock, and some one slammed chriss farrel and not chris rock :P

I'd put it in quotes but I'm too lazy to reach up and touch my mouse to do it, even though I'll be touching it to make this post..

[edit] There we go.

Great Rumbler
Isn't that what Duke Nukem does?

OB1
You mean Will Ferrell? Will Ferrell is great.

bountyhunter
umm.. the first name isn't important, you know who I meant, I know who I meant, hell I should have just said "The elf dude"

OB1
Why not "the Anchorman dude", since that's his best and most recent movie.

Great Rumbler
Or "The dude that was on SNL for several years and he was really funny as Alex Trubek".

bountyhunter
Right, like I said, The elf dude