View Thread : Stratosphere Commander and the Planet of the Next Day

Great Rumbler
Or to be more precise, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorow. It's made like the old sci-fi serials from the 40's and 50's and in fact it's set around 1939. To create an old world feel the movie is almost entirely CG, except for the main actors. It's cliched, the plot's totally shallow, it's full of cheap deus ex machinas and it coulnd't be a better movie! Who needs things like a complex plot or deep characters when you can have giant robots attacking a 1939 New York City or huge explosions all over the place and a doom's day device? Its an awesome movie, the CG looks great [although in some places you can easily tell it's CG], and the symphonic soundtrack sounds like it was ripped straight out of an old Buck Roger's movie. If there ever was a movie that you just had to see in the theater's for the sheer amount of bass rumbling this is it. So go watch it!

A Black Falcon
It looks great... at least in terms of style. I want to see it sometime.

Great Rumbler
Yeah, style and action are the movies strong points. If you're looking for something with a complex storyline, deep plot, and strong characters you'll want to look somewhere else.

OB1
I've been looking forward to this for ages. I love early 20th century scifi serials.

Great Rumbler
In the words of my brother, Sky Captain is "a mix of Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and the old Buck Rogers movies".

OB1
And Star Wars and Indy are based off of old scifi and adventure serials.

Great Rumbler
Yes, they are.

My favorite scene in Sky Captain is the near the first where the giant robots fly over the city and then land and start blowing things up. That was so awesome.

OB1
I bet.

Huh.

DJ hasn't come in and criticized this movie for being mindless poo that no intelligent person who ever dare to see.

Weird!

Great Rumbler
I know!

OB1
*waits*

And since she can't see my post, she won't hesitate to do it! We're so awesome!!!

Great Rumbler
Yeah, we totally are.

OB1
*jumps up and claps real fast*

Great Rumbler
*claps with one hand*

OB1
*golf claps with Arthur*