View Thread : This is hilarious AND sad!

Dark Jaguar
http://www.filerush.com/download.php?target=DOWFinal_Seq_free.wmv

Watch that and try to keep a straight face. Starts out as a cheesy war scene with what appear to be Terran Marines right? Then, you see what they are terrified of... orcs! Well, they look like orcs. Maybe if the orcs were using guns I'd see it, but they are wearing frickin' medieval armor and weilding axes! Now, apparently this is supposed to be from a series with a "good story", but excuse me if this is just far beyond anyone's reasonable ability to suspend their disbelief.

Sorry, but if this game involves picking sides, I pick the one with the INFINITE superiority, and that ain't the green skins...

A Black Falcon
You insult Warhammer 40k? Warhammer is cool!

Dark Jaguar
Look, I don't know anything about that, all I know is they expected me to take space marines fighting medieval orcs with fricking AXES seriously. They weren't even laser axes!

alien space marine
Nobody beats blizzard!

Dark Jaguar
...okay...

So, what exactly is SO great about this that this SUDDEN exposure to something I likely was supposed to only be introduced to after years of indoctrination (ala most cults) is something I can actually take seriously?

A Black Falcon
They aren't midevil orcs. Warhammer 40k (or if you wish Warhammer 40,000) is a SCIENCE FICTION universe. Straight Warhammer is classic fantasy, but 40k is sci-fi... it really says 'what if a fantasy-type universe continued to evolve?' It's been around for a long time. Warhammer and 40k are tabletop games with minitiure armies. It's a very expensive hobby... you need to buy lots of pricey figures. Looks like an awesome game but just costs way too much to be worth it, IMO... there have been quite a few Warhammer games over the years on PC and consoles too. Interesting that you've never seen any.

Anyway, they are Space Orks. Not Orcs, Space Orks. Yeah, they have axes and stuff, but they are wearing power armor I believe... though the Space Orks are not as advanced technologically. In this game they fill the 'Zerg' niche -- the one who builds a whole lot of weaker guys and swarms their enemies. The Space Marines are one of the human factions... Warhammer has a LOT of sides. Only four are in this game. The Space Marines are the goodguys I guess but they are also religious fundamentalists who believe that war is their holy duty and the best way to serve their emperor...

Blizzard takes a lot in their games from Warhammer. Look at the Space Orcs in Warcraft III for instance... :)

OB1
Anyway, they are Space Orks. Not Orcs, Space Orks.

The "k" gives them super powers! It stands for Bojacksome, right? Right?

Seriously that's incredibly lame.

Dark Jaguar
Orks? Oh woah is me! Sorry about that! Should I also always make sure to spell certain words "magikal" or "myystikkal"? It's got a K, so it's more extreeeeem! Whoops, I meant XTreeeeme. Sorry, they be orcs, says I. Arrrg.

Really though, I had no idea this was from some ancient medieval storyline setup. When I'm suddenly put into space marines fighting orcs in what certainly does NOT look like high tech power armor (it looks like cheesy mid 80's post apokalyptic rebel armor actually), I just can't fathom it being serious. I suppose when it's an evolution of an age old fantasy story, it KINDA makes sense, but the orcs should have SOME technology or it's just completley unbelievable. I don't care how many orcs they send in, they will ALL die with no chance armed like that!

The space orcs in WC3? Those just so happen to be a joke that has nothing to do with the game's story :D.

Undertow
What kind of army charges enemies when they're defending an area and have an advantage? Especially if this army has guns...guns that shoot...guns that shoot far. Or, at least, far enough to defend themselves against some guys with axes and flamethrowers.

A Black Falcon
The Space Orcs are a Warhammer reference I am sure. I'd be shocked if there aren't also numerous ones in Starcraft... seriously, Warhammer and Warhammer 40k are deep universes. You'd just have to look at the details to see it... Games Workshop makes it, go to their site if you want. :)

For instance, this is an Ork robot or mech or something. (figure)

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/orks/painting/kans_dreads/images/6.jpg

alien space marine
They have fel space orcs in warcraft III as a bonus joke thing in the editor.

Id rather play starcraft then that! * probaily more balanced too*

Dark Jaguar
I've played through Starcraft and it's exansion, and checked every unit in the editor. Not a single "space orc" in there, and I'm certainly glad there's not. It's stupid.

alien space marine
I've played through Starcraft and it's exansion, and checked every unit in the editor. Not a single "space orc" in there, and I'm certainly glad there's not. It's stupid.

Clearly you need to get your eyes checked ! I said warcraft III had that unit not starcraft!

A Black Falcon
As for SC, SC references everything Sci-Fi so if it DIDN't reference Warhammer 40k, a major gaming sci-fi universe, it'd be pretty strange...

And DJ I do not understand the problem with space orcs. Do you hate Zerglings too because they don't have ranged attacks? It makes not sense...

And I proved that they have technology and guns too. Which is kind of obvious given that they are a space empire and have to get between planets somehow. :)

What's the problem? I mean, they're meant to be funny really... stupid guys who blow stuff up. And they've got writing like this to explain their stuff... :)

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/orks/painting/kans_dreads/default.htm
Killa Kans and Dreads are the ultimate incarnation of all things Orky. They are big, loud, shooty, dead 'ard, and stompy. Basically, everything an Ork strives to be! These clankin' hunks of metallic terror have forever dominated the tiny brains of Ork Warbosses (like myself). When it comes time to gather an army, it just doesn't seem like a proper Waaagh! without at least one (or nine) of these glorious Mekboy creations leading the assault.

To celebrate the wonderful ironclad beasts that are Kans and Dreads, I've gathered some rad stuff for all you maniacal greenskin fans out there. Included are basic tactics for you to examine, shooty choices to ponder, a basic painting guide to show you how, and a small gallery of models to help get your painting mojo goin'. Be an Ork and punch one of the links below!

Dark Jaguar
asm, I was talking to ABF, who did mention Starcraft, not you. Now then, stop embaressing yourself.

Zerglings are super evolved organisms with super dense hides and claws. They make sense. OrKs however, they just have axes and armor from an ancient era. They don't even compare to each other. The zerg would shred the orcs just as badly, and wouldn't even bother copying their DNA since they are obviously an evolutionary dead end :D.

Now, if the space orks are actually intended to be a joke, then that's fine, you won't hear a word out of me again. Also, you point out they have high technology and that steel axe was apparently a part of it, okay, alright, but that movie didn't give that impression. And, that movie is meant to sell that game. I guess it's meant to sell it to Warhammer fans more than anyone else though. All I can say is that in answer to PA's challenge to see if I could watch that movie and not immediatly want to play that game, I guess I win.

A Black Falcon
Try the demo. It's an RTS... I've tried it. It's okay. As I said, not great, and the technical problems (read: doesn't run well on my computer; a newer computer is recommended... :)) are irritating, but I can see that it's good. You don't collect resources the traditional way... you set up a base but to get money you have to take and build on these key points. They are scattered around the map... really like the command points in a wargame. You get more money the more of them you hold (and the more built up the buildings on them are).

I personally like the Eldar best. :)

OB1
Man... you guys are such dorks.