View Thread : American Idol...

deanna
I just wondered if anybody here is following along in the 4th (???) season...Well if you aren't then :shakeit: and you suck.

YEAH! I am going to be on AI one day. Actually in a few years. (I hope)

Great Rumbler
I not very big into reality tv. I watched the first couple of episodes, but none after that.

OB1
I despise reality tv with a passion.

Sacred Jellybean
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Great Rumbler
I'd certainly like to see a lot less of it being made, but year after year...

A Black Falcon
Reality TV is garbage. That much is obvious. Everyone, including the producers, knows it... but their goal is to make it ENTERTAINING garbage. And they often succeed...

deanna
:( i am a failure at message boards

OB1
Haha, don't feel bad. I like some reality shows. Like mythbusters, if that counts. That show is great. And a couple of cooking shows. Iron Chef!

A Black Falcon
I like Survivor... haven't seen it in several years, but I liked the three seasons of it I watched anyway. Same with Amazing Race...

OB1
Eww...

Fittisize
I hate the show Big Brother but I still watch it religiously every summer.

A Black Falcon
Yeah... that's a really awful show, but I've watched more episodes of it than I'd like to admit... (not 'every week' or something, but every so often, yes.)

At least Survivor is good! :) (Oh, I watched some of the early seasons -- part of the first one and then all of the Africa and Austrailia ones.) Yeah, it's got a formula, but it's an entertaining formula...

OB1
Survivor is the worst of them all!

A Black Falcon
How so?

OB1
:erm:

Fittisize
No, Survivor is what started them all. There are far worse reality shows out there. American Idol, for example, and basically every other elimination-competition based reality show.

But Cops is still the greatest reality show ever...nothing better than sitting down and watching 2 hours straight of cops kicking ass. Cops is the best TV show to watch with a group of people.

A Black Falcon
I don't watch Cops... that crosses the line of 'too stupid to watch' for me. :)

EdenMaster
No, Survivor is what started them all. There are far worse reality shows out there. American Idol, for example, and basically every other elimination-competition based reality show.

If you want to get really technical, one could argue that the Real World was the first "reality show", but I myself still consider Survivor as the first, since they're the one who started the real craze.

I like Survivor too actually, but that's really the only reality show I watch. Actually, short of Survivor, I don't watch much TV at all. It is a good show, it takes a facet of America, filters it down into a group of 18 people, and forces them to live with one another. The results can be entertaining, and they've had some good people on that show. Tom, Lex, Rupert, Richard, Rudy...

It's a love-or-hate show, and I happen to really like it. If you don't like it, then you hate it. All in your tastes I guess.

I also started watching The Apprentice this season...it's not the worst of the realizty show bunch...and Donald Trumps hair is funny.

As for American Idol...no. No thank you.

A Black Falcon
I like Survivor too actually, but that's really the only reality show I watch. Actually, short of Survivor, I don't watch much TV at all. It is a good show, it takes a facet of America, filters it down into a group of 18 people, and forces them to live with one another. The results can be entertaining, and they've had some good people on that show. Tom, Lex, Rupert, Richard, Rudy...

Yeah. But you left out the 'unpleasant conditions' part. :)

deanna
Mythbusters is like the greatest show...except for when all they show is reruns.

geoboy
Hmmmm. Does the Daily Show with Jon Stewart count as reality TV? :D

EdenMaster
Mythbusters is a great show. I heard of it first since Jamie Hyneman is actually a very well respected builder on the BattleBot circuit. He built the first truly feared robot in the sport: Blendo.

http://www.battlebots.com/images/battlebots/medium/battlebot-048.jpg

If you look close, you can sometimes see Jamie and Adamwearing robot team t-shirts. I see Adam wearing a Mouser Mecha-Catbot shirt pertty often.

OB1
Ha, I did not know that.

EdenMaster
Come on, a guy with engineering and machining knowlegde like him who likes to destroy things. OF COURSE he's gonna build a robot specifically for that purpose! The first tournament he entered with Blendo, it was so destructive that after a couple matches, they made Blendo forfiet for concern for the safety of the audience.

OB1
Yeah it makes sense. I'd like to see that match.

EdenMaster
Well, I don't have a link to that particular match, but here's one video clip. If I'm not mistaken it's from what would be the third season of BattleBots, and he's facing off against GoldDigger. It should give you an idea at least of the kind of power Blendo packs.

Blendo vs GoldDigger (http://www.battlebots.com/images/matches/Video/044_2.mov)

OB1
Neato keen. :D

Fittisize
I don't watch Cops... that crosses the line of 'too stupid to watch' for me. :)
It's not the cops that are stupid. It's the criminals that are stupid!

Dark Jaguar
Reality shows are not.

When IS the last time someone was told to eat live worms while running around a giant wirlimagig blindfolded? Apparently, THAT is supposed to represent reality...

There's also the fact that most of those shows have acknowledge that they use actors... You can't even use the reaction shots as an indication of some sort of real human emotion.

Yes, all reality shows are evil. I don't really consider mythbusters in that genre, though the fact that they bust myths does show a commitment TO reality. Now, hoenstly most of the stuff they bust is well known to be false anyway, but it's about the only way to prove to the viewers that they aren't true, so I commend them for teaching the masses stuff that the skeptical people already knew. Really, it is a service.

Wanna know what else is stupid? ABC as of late! Seen their latest informercials? I mean, news exposés? I mean, idiocy? A few months ago, they had "John of God" the faith healer. They made NO attempt at actually proving him false. They had one actual logical person on the show, THAT THEY SHOWED FOR LIKE 3 SECONDS WITH AN OUT OF CONTEXT QUOTE, namely because everything else that person added was totally disregarded because they already wrote their entire show BEFORE actually seeking out the expertise you are supposed to START such investigations with. The writers apparently decided from the start they wanted something "amazing", not the truth. They recently did something about aliens. While a little less of a specticle, it was still a shameful bit of reporting... It's all here on this website... http://www.randi.org/jr/021805a.html

Ya know, lately TV writers are all a bunch of puss dripping sacks of butt jerkey! I'll jam a squirrel in them... CRAM A BASTARD IN IT YOU KARP!

Geno
Yeah, I hate reality TV too. Reality sucks. That's why TV was made. It's my escape from reality. Because fantasy is better. I don't want to watch more reality when I turn on the TV. But the general viewing public is dumb, and so reality TV is in high demand. It wouldn't be such a big deal if there were only a few reality shows, but it seems that reality TV is what dominates the tube now. Fuck reality TV. Give me talking dogs and babies, world-conquesting lab mice, and 8-year-old kids who die every week! Not William Hung!

Great Rumbler
Exec #1: Hey let's make another reality tv show!

Exec #2: Okay!!

Me: :shake:

Dark Jaguar
And now, THE WASHING MACHINE! Check out when washing clothes becomes melodramatic teen angst!

Geno
Yeah, DJ has it pretty much spot-on there.

Great Rumbler
"Who's Your Daddy?"

Need I say more?

Sacred Jellybean
GREAT RUMBLER STOP FUCKING SLACKING OFF AND POST IN THE ZELDA THREAD YOU 56K LICKING SCUM BAG

Great Rumbler
I did post in the Zelda thread and I have ADSL now, not 56k. :p

Geno
Ooo, pwn3d!

Great Rumbler
Not just owned...POTATOWNED!

http://img9.photobucket.com/albums/v27/RandomDragoonKain/potatowned.gif

alien space marine
Mythbusters doesnt count as reality tv I dont think anymore then Bill Neye the science guy ,I enjoy Mythbusters actually.

I havent been seeing battlebots actually I almost forgot about that show , Robotwars USA sucks royal incestial shit!

But the UK Robot Wars is fun to watch , They have completely different mentality then in north america , They actually have more then just one on one matches ,If a Bot loses when the clock stops the housebots have the right to trash compact it into crap, So somthing gets smashed with guts coming out atleast once every episode. They have far more unigue ideas and principles in their designs ,Then also just sticking to old school concepts.

http://www.robotwarsuk.i8.com/Robot%20Design/Razer_S2.jpg

The creators of Razer were inspired after seeing jurrasic park.

http://www.mantis-robot.co.uk/images/Video%202%2001.jpg

Team choas , I think is gonna be joining battlebots soon since Robotwars went dead everywhere.