View Thread : who here has worked at a restaurant?

OB1
Just curious.

OB1
And by restaruant I mean restaurant.

alien space marine
subway?

OB1
sure

Smoke
I haven't personally but I know someone who was the general manager of a restaurant/bar. I got to stay after closing and drink with the staff several times. It was fun.

Great Rumbler
I haven't worked at a restaurant, nor do I intend to if I can help it. I do know quite a few people who do though.

Dark Jaguar
Seems like an easy enough gig with no real complaints, but I just couldn't stand doing something so mindless as a job. I get bored easily. There's also the cripplingly poor situation of getting minimum wage as I'm sure they do, depending on tips as they must. I'm talking like the low end restaurants here, as there just aren't any high class restaurants, nor have I ever felt compelled to spend the money needed to eat at one anyway. Then again, it's hard to really have much sympathy for their kind considering how completely irate and uncooperational they almost WANT to be. It's like they can't make a decision on their own at all at the simplest requests. I mean, can you REALLY not decide on your own if it's alright to get some extra french toast instead of sausage? Is that REALLY something that needs the combined brainpower of you and 2 higher ups?

Undertow
Burger King. Worst. Job. Ever.

Great Rumbler
Despite the obvious reasons for not wanting to work at a restaurant, by working there I wouldn't really gain any job skills that will help me in any significant way. Okay, so I worked for two years at Burger King, how exactly does that help someone with a degree in marketing? I get enough money a week that I don't want to deal with the hassles of such a job as that just to get a little bit extra.

Dark Jaguar
Well yeah. There's a reason having such a job is basically enough to label you as a bottom rung in society.

Besides that, it'll all be outsourced to computers anyway.

Oh, here's a job I can't see ANY value in. Why is it that Wal-Mart actually pays people to just say "hello" when you walk in? Okay, they probably do other stuff, but wow that has to be a moral deflator to those actually doing something like real work in the store when they are getting paid the exact same amount as the guy sitting in a chair paid to talk to people. Weltall, you tell us, what's it like working there? Any particular reason these people actually seem angry when I end up having to walk around for about 5 minutes just to find someone to get a game from the electronics center? It's like, for some of them anyway, actually having to DO their job is a freakin' annoyance.

Great Rumbler
Well, I assume that the greeters are also there in case someone tries to steal something. It doesn't do much good to have an alarm if there's no one around to do anything about it. Of course, they had greeters before then too...

Smoke
You do realize working at a restaurant doesn't necessarily mean being a burger jockey at McDonalds? My friend loved being a GM. It was anything but boring. He was always doing different things. But I suppose to someone not interested in managerial work it could be boring.

OB1
Marketing? What kind of job do you want to get after college, Johnny? Specifically.

Ryan
Oh, here's a job I can't see ANY value in. Why is it that Wal-Mart actually pays people to just say "hello" when you walk in? Okay, they probably do other stuff, but wow that has to be a moral deflator to those actually doing something like real work in the store when they are getting paid the exact same amount as the guy sitting in a chair paid to talk to people. Weltall, you tell us, what's it like working there? Any particular reason these people actually seem angry when I end up having to walk around for about 5 minutes just to find someone to get a game from the electronics center? It's like, for some of them anyway, actually having to DO their job is a freakin' annoyance.
Sometimes working there and doing my job is a freakin' annoyance.

There are a lot of great things about working in electronics. Your department is the largest and has the most sales, your pay rate is higher than in like jobs in other departments, you're around the sort of stuff you really love, and get to see things before everyone else (I got to play PSP for the first time today... hell yeah!). Sometimes customers idolize you because you can effortlessly explain things to them that are totally alien when they walk in.

However, there are some major downsides too. One is having co-workers who are not knowledgable, and having to cover for them. My most major gripe is customers who are ignorant (which is different from merely lacking knowledge). These are the types of people who will angrily demand to know why we don't carry Zelda on PS2, or why we don't have Disney's Robots on DVD, not at all caring that it's a brand new theatrical release, but they saw it at Best Buy god dammit. Then of course, the ones I hate most are the thieves, and there are a lot.

on topic, my first and only restaurant job was McDonalds. It was my first job, between May and July of 1999. It was by far my least favorite job.

Dark Jaguar
How can someone ANGRILY ask you those questions? So this was basically just ONE person right?

And um, actually the very definition of ignorance is lacking knowledge.

ignorance

n : the lack of knowledge or education

Great Rumbler
Marketing? What kind of job do you want to get after college, Johnny? Specifically.

Hopefully one that'll pay me a six-figure sallary. :)

Seriously, though, I still don't really know. Also, I haven't "officially" decided on a degree in marketing just yet, but it's on the short list. Although, I have decided that my degree will be one in business.

During my fours years [or more, if I decided to get an MBA] at college, I'll start to think more about what exactly I want to do.

alien space marine
Who the fuck asked such questions?

Idiot parents?

"Why isnt Zelda on the Ps2?!!!"
:rofl:

Thats like going to Subway and bitching that they dont serve big Macs with a fries!

My time with Subway was pretty short , But a interesting experience nonetheless.

It was pretty stressful I guess like any other order on demand restaurant , I was doing fine in the back preping the meat and making sure the veggie bins were always fully stocked so it would never run out empty and force a customer to wait ,Unfortunately the management was incredibly disorganized she always was late to pay my salary never got around to delivering my uniform , They made me go up front serving customers and learn everything right on the spot without any prepartions or prior training , Id hand the wrong sub to the wrong person somtimes it can be pretty hectic with loads of customers right out the door constantly badgering you to "reheat their sub" and do this and that, Its not really fair I was only 15 then and I was a newbie they failed to give me a crash course before making me go up front , I didnt get any time to learn the menu and assemble the different ingredients hell even cut the bread to the eact recomended lenth and method, It was unfair to my collegues they were also tied up and didnt always have time to consult and show me the ropes.Its certainly was diservice to the customers thats just foolish.

Would you place a total novice on a car manufactoring plant and risk botching a few vehicles on the line , Plus risk injury. Without giving any pretraining? Doesnt seem like a wise policy.

Its common in fast food restaurants , Whats happening is that they dont take total newbs as easily anymore , They prefer those who have worked in fast food before,Thats what happend to me since they pick quicker.

I waisnt fired , It was just a trial and the older experienced recruit bumped me out.

I guess I got experience and learned some new things, I dont think its the right kind of job for me though.

I could do what Ryan does , I have had folks come to me in electronic stores even though I didnt work there asking me for advice , I was amazed about how much I knew thanks to tendocity! Alot of those walmart workers dont know shit which is why that happends, Parents go to ask a employee he doesnt know jack so they ask a schmo browsing by.

No offense Weltall but Walmart is the evil Empire.

Dark Jaguar
Let me get this straight, they look for people who have worked at those places before? When it comes to restaurants, you have the high class places run by people who really actually want to serve you, you have the run of the mill Denny's places where it's... not so much... then you have places like McDonald's where service with contempt is the norm, and they ACT like they are a 5 star restaurant sometimes... If someone has worked at such a place before, it suggest either they were fired, or got bored but weren't ambitious enough to actually progress up the career ladder so they just found the exact same job. Wouldn't one be MORE suspect of the person who's been at this for a while? What exactly is keeping them there? You know what's more frightening than that? Ever seen the people working in the background that have to be around 70-80 years old? I mean, it's possible they retired but just couldn't settle down and all. I certainly prefer to think that. But, the FUNNIER possibility is something went so horrible in their life that THIS was the only thing they could amount to. They could aspire to nothing greater.

alien space marine
Well college students who move far from home and pick up a job there.

OB1

Seriously, though, I still don't really know. Also, I haven't "officially" decided on a degree in marketing just yet, but it's on the short list. Although, I have decided that my degree will be one in business.

During my fours years [or more, if I decided to get an MBA] at college, I'll start to think more about what exactly I want to do.

I see.

OB1

I see.

OB1
However, there are some major downsides too. One is having co-workers who are not knowledgable, and having to cover for them. My most major gripe is customers who are ignorant (which is different from merely lacking knowledge). These are the types of people who will angrily demand to know why we don't carry Zelda on PS2, or why we don't have Disney's Robots on DVD, not at all caring that it's a brand new theatrical release, but they saw it at Best Buy god dammit.

:lol: The few times that I've been in walmart in the past there has always been at least one such person. I would go nuts serving people like that.

Ryan
How can someone ANGRILY ask you those questions? So this was basically just ONE person right?

And um, actually the very definition of ignorance is lacking knowledge.
Not so far as I care, based on the people I deal with. The person who is not ignorant will not leave me and still lack knowledge. The ignorant customer will be taught, but still not learn, or refuse to learn.

OB1
Like ABF! :D

A Black Falcon
I wouldn't be in Wal-Mart, sorry. And I wouldn't be asking questions to the clerks... I'm sure I know more about the games I'd be interested in than they do. :)

OB1
That's not what I meant...

A Black Falcon
Yeah, you meant that you need to insult me whenever possible. It's not nice.

Private Hudson
Uhm, I'm a 3rd year apprentice chef. So yah, I've worked in restaruants!

Great Rumbler
I also hate having to ask the store clerks to open the game case for me, which is the only thing I ever ask the store clerks. I'd rather just be able to get the game I want and then go check out instead of wandering the electronics department trying to find someone with a key.

OB1
Yeah, you meant that you need to insult me whenever possible. It's not nice.

I added a smiley face though.

Dark Jaguar
That IS stupid, and the video games are the ONLY thing they have locked up too! You ever notice that? I have noticed lately that the check out places are being slowly replaced with an automated variety. I was happy because I could finally just run through there and pay much faster than those slow arse cashiers could, until I realized the design was set up to be a freaking annoyance more than anything else. The security system, which consists ENTIRELY of a weight scale, is stupid. Basically you have to, as I found out, set every single item you get on that scale and leave it there. Well, that's all well and good if you can fit everything on it. Also, if you happen to take your stuff too soon, a totally different voice YELLS at you accusingly to put it right BACK this second. That's not the way to treat me, not when I have a heavy metal cart and that voice is totally immobile. This move is nice and all, because I like to spit on poor people as much as anyone else, but they need a new security system. I'm talking putting security tags on every single thing in the store that can only be removed by the machine after you pay for it, something like that.

A Black Falcon
I added a smiley face though.

You say things like that seriously too often for me to pass it off as purely a joke... I don't think you completely meant it, but it's there because of that belief of yours.

alien space marine
Ryan what is the logic behind the sealed glass shelves forcing people to get a cashier just to get the game?

Whats the point Music cds dont have that kind of barrier around them?

I had to do that to get GT4 and a PS2 slim recently.

Smoke
I got carded at a Walmart when I tried to buy an M rated game before. Hell, they don't even card me at the liquor store!*

*Well sometimes they do. :p

Ryan
Ryan what is the logic behind the sealed glass shelves forcing people to get a cashier just to get the game?

Whats the point Music cds dont have that kind of barrier around them?

I had to do that to get GT4 and a PS2 slim recently.
There are two points, actually.

1. Videogames are managed totally by respective vendors (Sony, Nintendo, etc.). The vendors want the games locked up, so they are locked up.

2. Videogames are very easy to steal. Someone who's good can slice open the case and slip out the disc in less than five seconds, and the disc isn't caught by security devices, as those are in the case itself.

In my store, music CDs are in indivual locked cases that need to be opened with a key. DVDs are left wide-open and unprotected, and it's no surprise that DVD theft is a rampant problem. I wish they were locked up or in cases.