View Thread : John Woo's "Katamari Damacy"

A Black Falcon
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04/01/news_6121444.html
Woo to direct Katamari Damacy movie
Acclaimed Hong Kong director to adapt Namco's quirky game; The Rock signs on to play Prince of All Cosmos.
Katamari Damacyscreenshot
See it »

Just a few months after optioning the Metroid series, Hong Kong action director John Woo (the man behind The Killer and Mission Impossible 2) announced that he has begun filming a movie adaptation based on the Katamari Damacy video game. The film is currently targeted for a summer 2006 release.

Click Here.

Already attached to the project is wrestler-turned-actor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, who will play the lead character, the Prince of All Cosmos. "I'm a huge fan of the game and the lessons it teaches young kids about life," said Johnson. "Plus, my wrestling experience will help me handle a giant ball."

Katamari Damacy will be the third movie for The Rock based on a game, as well as his second collaboration with director Woo. Later this year, The Rock will star as a demon-blasting space marine in Doom, based on id's popular first-person shooter. He also recently completed Spy Hunter, based on the arcade classic, which was also directed by Woo. In it, the Rock plays Alec Sects, an ex-fighter pilot who rids the world of spies and the like in a high-tech supercar.

Like the PlayStation 2 version, the film version of Katamari Damacy will see the Prince being ordered by his father, the King of All Cosmos, to gather various items from the universe to get the fragmented cosmos back in order. He does so by rolling an adhesive ball that grows, snowball-style, as things stick to it. According to the Hollywood Reporter, John Travolta, who previously worked with Woo on Face/Off, is close to signing on to play the King.

While it will retain much of the visual style of the game, Katamari Damacy the movie will see the Prince taking on a much more action-oriented role. Instead of using his ever-growing ball to pick up innocuous objects, like candy, chairs, and trees, he will use it to absorb bullets and crush his enemies. In one climactic slow-motion scene inside a church, the sphere becomes a 50-foot-wide mass of assault weapons, flaming debris, and writhing henchmen who are caught up in its path. "Some aspects of the story changed in the adaptation process," Woo told the Reporter.

Katamari Damacy is currently being filmed in New Zealand and has gotten off to a rocky start. Shooting had to be suspended for two weeks after The Rock's long-flowing trench coat got stuck to the ball and dragged the actor nearly 75 feet, spraining his ankle. PETA supporters also caused a disturbance on the set after several dozen doves became stuck to the ball and were inadvertently killed.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/news/04/01/damacy_screen001.jpg

Great Rumbler
Hahaha! :D

That would so incredibly awesome if it was really true.

OB1
Hahaha, I would totally see that movie.

Great Rumbler
I'd see it twice!

Shooting had to be suspended for two weeks after The Rock's long-flowing trench coat got stuck to the ball and dragged the actor nearly 75 feet, spraining his ankle. PETA supporters also caused a disturbance on the set after several dozen doves became stuck to the ball and were inadvertently killed.

:lol:

EdenMaster
That'd be so great, although I think getting Verne Troyer (Mini-Me) to play the Prince would have been funnier :D

A Black Falcon
Yeah, this is one of the better ones...

While it will retain much of the visual style of the game, Katamari Damacy the movie will see the Prince taking on a much more action-oriented role. Instead of using his ever-growing ball to pick up innocuous objects, like candy, chairs, and trees, he will use it to absorb bullets and crush his enemies. In one climactic slow-motion scene inside a church, the sphere becomes a 50-foot-wide mass of assault weapons, flaming debris, and writhing henchmen who are caught up in its path. "Some aspects of the story changed in the adaptation process," Woo told the Reporter.

:D