View Thread : Xenosaga!

Ryan
Just six more days until this generation's best game comes out! Oh man I'm so excited!

Private Hudson
I really hope the game is a huge disappoint you.

That'll teach you for being so arrogant about it!

:mad: :shake: :p

OB1
It hasn't gotten very good reviews for the best game of this generation. :D

But I'm still looking forward to it.

DMiller
I'm looking forward to it, but I'd only be able to afford it if I won the lottery by finding a winning ticket in the street...or if someone bought it for me. :)

Ryan
Originally posted by OB1

Reviews mean nothing. Resident Evil gets better reviews than Silent Hill, despite being inferior to SH in just about every way. Final Fantasy X will probably end up with better reviews than Xenosaga too. Some games are just the darlings of the mindless masses.

:) :) :)

Private Hudson
Resident Evil > Silent Hill

:shake:

OB1
For scariness, SH wins. For gameplay... well both have annoying "find the key" missions, but RE has the worse controls. I've only played the first SH, but I prefer that over any of the RE games. But take away the scariness and you have a pretty boring game.

Sacred Jellybean
I thought they had the same movement layout, ie up makes the character move forward, down makes him take a step back, and left/right is used for turning? In both games, a shoulder button is held down, while an action button uses the weapon.

Unless Silent Hill's environments were designed based on these controls, as the camera angle changes a lot, making a free movement/Mario 64 layout more confusing. The only time I found Silent Hill's controls to be confusing was during the very beginning, when running through the ally.

Also, enemies were easier to kill, as you had auto-aim, and unlike RE and its pre-rendered backgrounds, SH had a real-time camera that was much more efficient during combat.

Anyone who'd take RE over SH in terms of immersion is insane. Gameplay opinions, I could see differing, but RE pales in comparison in terms of design. Unless you're comparing REmake to Silent Hill 1 on PSX.

Dark Jaguar
Whatever lies beyond this morning is a little later on. Regardless of warnings the future doesn't scare me at all. Nothing's like before!

Private Hudson
Originally posted by Sacred Jellybean
I thought they had the same movement layout, ie up makes the character move forward, down makes him take a step back, and left/right is used for turning? In both games, a shoulder button is held down, while an action button uses the weapon.

Unless Silent Hill's environments were designed based on these controls, as the camera angle changes a lot, making a free movement/Mario 64 layout more confusing. The only time I found Silent Hill's controls to be confusing was during the very beginning, when running through the ally.

Also, enemies were easier to kill, as you had auto-aim, and unlike RE and its pre-rendered backgrounds, SH had a real-time camera that was much more efficient during combat.

Anyone who'd take RE over SH in terms of immersion is insane. Gameplay opinions, I could see differing, but RE pales in comparison in terms of design. Unless you're comparing REmake to Silent Hill 1 on PSX.

Silent Hill has a completely different control offering. Where you point is where you go.

Anyways, as I've said in many an arguement with Wetwall before..

Resident Evil > Silent Hill 1
Resident Evil 2 > Sillent Hil 1
Silent Hill 1 > Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 3 > Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 2 > Code Veronica

Although, I haven't played Resident Evil 0. But that's just how I see it. Resident Evil is getting progressively worse (I hope RE4 changes that), but that doesnt mean that overall, the series isn't good... it's just not that good anymore. :)

eXisTenZe
I can't believe you mongroes are all into Xenosaga.... No one ever mentions, Zone of the Enders: Anubis!! I have seen the opening scene of Xenosaga from Cinematech, but the Japanese commercial of ZoE 2 kixx!

OB1

Xenosaga is the sequel to one of the most popular PSX games ever made. It's also coming out next week.

ZOE2 is the sequel to an average, first-generation PS2 game. It's coming out next month.

I'm sure that ZOE2 will be awesome though.

Great Rumbler
I won't be able to get Xenosaga for a while, due to monetary restraints.

OB1
Sorry to hear that. I think I'll be getting it next week. It comes out on tuesday, right?

EdenMaster
Originally posted by OB1

Reviews are to be taken with a grain of salt. Sure, I've written plenty of them, but they're all my opinions on a game. Smash Bros. Melee has gotten one of my highest ratings, but I've met people who think it's the biggets piece of krap ever programmed. A review cannot tell you what you think of a game, nobody can. Only you can decide how good you think a game is, and that's all that matters. Weltall mentioned FFX getting a higher score than Xenosaga, as if it didn't deserve it. Well, I think FFX is an incredible game and it's kept me hooked for about a while now, it's one of the best games on my shelf right now IMO. Welty may disagree, and that's just human nature. Reviews are only good for giving you an idea of what the game is about, and shouldn't weigh extremely heavily on your purchases. Well, except for my reviews :).

Welcome eXisTenZe! Glad to see you made it to our little corner of the internet, hope you enjoy your stay. You'll get used to Dark Jaguar, he smells a bit but he's got a heart of gold. Then theres OB1, he smells fine but he's pure evil. Lazyfatbum has a perpetual smell of a mangina and his heart is that of a baboon he replaced his own with several years ago. We're a sordid, yet lovable bunch :D.

Private Hudson
A million units makes it one of the biggest selling games on the PSX?

I suppose that might be top 20 material....

I still don't see why the guy was fired from Squaresoft, just because the game sold so 'poorly'

Sacred Jellybean
Silent Hill has a completely different control offering. Where you point is where you go.

That can't be right... maybe you changed the controls to this setting, but I'm quite sure the default layout is how I described it above.

OB1
Originally posted by EdenMaster
Reviews are to be taken with a grain of salt. Sure, I've written plenty of them, but they're all my opinions on a game. Smash Bros. Melee has gotten one of my highest ratings, but I've met people who think it's the biggets piece of krap ever programmed. A review cannot tell you what you think of a game, nobody can. Only you can decide how good you think a game is, and that's all that matters. Weltall mentioned FFX getting a higher score than Xenosaga, as if it didn't deserve it. Well, I think FFX is an incredible game and it's kept me hooked for about a while now, it's one of the best games on my shelf right now IMO. Welty may disagree, and that's just human nature. Reviews are only good for giving you an idea of what the game is about, and shouldn't weigh extremely heavily on your purchases. Well, except for my reviews :).

Welcome eXisTenZe! Glad to see you made it to our little corner of the internet, hope you enjoy your stay. You'll get used to Dark Jaguar, he smells a bit but he's got a heart of gold. Then theres OB1, he smells fine but he's pure evil. Lazyfatbum has a perpetual smell of a mangina and his heart is that of a baboon he replaced his own with several years ago. We're a sordid, yet lovable bunch :D.

I was just trying to tease Welly. I really don't care about EGM's reviews.

OB1
Gamespot's review is up: http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,519264,00.html

It got an 8.1

Great Rumbler
Originally posted by EdenMaster

And then there's me. I'm the fun-loving, ever sarcastic, and totally out of his mind, but overall great guy.

Welcom to the forums! Don't mind Dark Jaguar, he's usually like that if he hasn't had his medication.

eXisTenZe
Speaking of Xenosaga, when will we get to see Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest become as one game?

Private Hudson
Originally posted by Sacred Jellybean
That can't be right... maybe you changed the controls to this setting, but I'm quite sure the default layout is how I described it above.

I don't think so..

OB1
I believe Hudson is right. I know, I know, it's a crazy notion. But he just might be right this time.

:p

Ryan
Originally posted by Private Hudson

Anyways, as I've said in many an arguement with Wetwall before..

Resident Evil > Silent Hill 1
Resident Evil 2 > Sillent Hil 1
Silent Hill 1 > Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 3 > Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 2 > Code Veronica

Although, I haven't played Resident Evil 0. But that's just how I see it. Resident Evil is getting progressively worse (I hope RE4 changes that), but that doesnt mean that overall, the series isn't good... it's just not that good anymore. :)
You are wrong about the controls. They are like that if you set them in 2D mode. But the default control scheme is 3D, which is pretty much like Resident Evil's.

Resident Evil 3 > Silent Hill 2? Madness.

Private Hudson
Meh.. Neither quite lived up to their predecessors, IMO. :)

Ryan
Originally posted by Private Hudson
Meh.. Neither quite lived up to their predecessors, IMO. :)

Still, and I think SH2 was better than SH1 in some ways, to say that RE3 was better... it's just... RE3 was awful. Stinko.

OB1
So who has Xenosaga yet? My local Babbages won't have it until tomorrow. Curses!

Ryan
Originally posted by OB1
So who has Xenosaga yet? My local Babbages won't have it until tomorrow. Curses!

Same deal here! Argh! :cuss:

OB1
I'm not going to smile at the clerk when I pick up my copy tomorrow!

Ryan
Really? I plan on kissing my clerk.

... assuming I'm lucky enough to find an attractive female clerk at Funcoland, ha ha...

:bummed:

OB1
So has the only complaint so far in the reviews been just about the cinemas?

Dark Jaguar
I'm staring at my copy right now. Time to play it!

OB1
Hmm, the ign guys said that if you stay away from side quests and mini-games then there's only around 10-15 hours of gameplay. Pretty dissapointing.

Dark Jaguar
Yeah, well if you stay away from all side quests and really rush through FF6, you can beat it in 12 hours or so easy, so that's not saying much. They also claimed some other games that turned out to be long were pretty short anyway. Why on Earth would I want to stay away from side quests anyway? That's like 70% of any decent RPG! Now get out of my way, OR ELSE!

OB1
I suppose...

I'll have to wait and see until I get the game after work and Tai Chi. I'm hoping for the best!

Ryan
I got it :D

OB1
:cuss:

So how is it?

Ryan
Originally posted by OB1
:cuss:

So how is it?

Simply awesome.

Private Hudson
We're going to need more in-depth impressions. :)

Dark Jaguar
And now my friend just got a copy. Well, time to get back to the game. Instantiating private class K7 now!

Dark Jaguar
Well, I've been having a blast. One thing, they advertised a game inside this game. I thought that was hilarious. I haven't seen such a blatent advertisement since the (repeated) ads for Space Quest in King's Quest 2.

I noticed, quite by accident, that you can skip any cinema in the game by pressing start and selecting the skip option. This should help those annoyed by long cinema scenes (read: N_A).

(Heh, I bet you a hojillion mud pies that N_A will actually respond to that with a detailed explanation of why he doesn't like cinema scenes, totally missing the whole joke concept.)

Ryan
It's funny, the Xenosaga developers maintain that there is no connection to 'Saga and 'Gears, but in the first five hours alone I've noticed at more than a few references to Xenogears.

Vanderkam = Vanderkaum? He even has a similar marking on his face!
That little red-headed girl reminds me of Elly.
Zohar is pretty obvious.
Shion UZUKI!?

Dark Jaguar
From what I read, they didn't say there's no connection at all, just that this is not part of the Xenogears chapters, and in fact a new chapter in a new series. I don't think they claimed it's not part of the same universe though.

OB1
Well they plan on re-doing Xenogears, right? Xenogears is supposed to be what, Episode VII or something like that? And they plan on making around seven installments. I wonder how they're going to do that...

I also read in ignPSQ's Xenosaga board that there was a Xenogears prequel book or something like that, and that Xenosaga follows it very closely. I might have read wrong.

Dark Jaguar
No, it's episode 5, or 6. It's a 6 part package, which makes sense. 6 is the number of man, and 7 is the number of God, so with the focus of the game, 6 chapters makes sense.

Yeah, Xenosaga seems to be the prequal, but it's a part of a prequal saga of chapters. It's a different 6 part epic. That's 12 episodes total. Quite a bit...

It's interesting to see what things were like before humans were "altered" and sent to inhabit that strange world Xenogears takes place in. It's also interesting that the development of the world in Xenogears parallels the development of the human's original world, Earth.

OB1
Wait, so when they make Episode VI it's going to be a re-make of Xenogears? Doesn't Square own the rights to that game?

I hope they don't take too long to make the other five games. I don't want to have to wait until I'm in my 30's to finish the saga.

Dark Jaguar
I'm actually kinda thinking Xenogears was chapter 5. Anyway, I do believe by that time a remake of the original would indeed be in order.

Oh, and Xenosaga wouldn't even be out if they didn't have legal rights to Xenogears. I think I remember Square selling the rights to Xenogears to Namco a few years back when they first pursued making Xenosaga (with the exception I think of keeping the right to make and sell more copies of Xenogears original). Remember, Square got rid of a lot of the Xenogears staff because apparently they considered it a failure, so selling copyrights to it would only be considered profitable.

Take too long to make the other 10 games eh? No biggy, even if it does take a decade or two to complete it. It's the kind of thing you want to keep getting chapters to for a really long time...

OB1
Oh, ok.

It would be nice if we got a new Xenosaga every eighteen months or so. Wouldn't that be nice?

Dark Jaguar
Yes it would.

OB1
Yup.

*cough*

Dark Jaguar
yep

*drinks milk*

OB1
So how 'bout them Yankees?

*urinates on floor*

Dark Jaguar
*knows nothing about football*

Yep

*drinks all new vanilla milk, it's like drinking a big tub of melted ice cream, but more milky and more vanillay*

OB1
Huh.

*drinks milk from a woman's breast*

Dark Jaguar
That's actually a poster for the new got milk campaign... That balloon hidden back there is still cow's milk, but it's been sitting in the sun for like 3 days straight. Eh, milk's all good. *drinks chunky milk* It's like drinking a shake, only no one else is gonna bogart it!

OB1
really?

OB1
Nobody is going to bogart it?

Great Rumbler
What chunky milk!! My dream is finally coming true! And that vision is that all children in the world will be able to enjoy the wonders and intricate tastes of chunky milk! I predict there to be a carton of chunky milk in every child's hand by the end of the decade!

OB1
You should read the comic book "Milk and Cheese" by Evan Dorkin. Hilarious stuff.

OB1
Alright I had a chance to play Xenosaga on saturday and I'm about six hours into the game. What do I think of it? I like it. I like it enough to keep it. And I enjoy the battle system even more than FFX's, which is saying a lot for me.

I am worried about one thing though: Do you spend the entire game in space ships and stations? All of areas I've been to so far have been so... bland, in a 2001 sort of way. I miss the variety of locals from Xenogears.

Dark Jaguar
So far all I've been is space stations and such too, but they do get a lot different and more colorful, especially when you dock with one specific colony that looks like a delicious onion blossom.

OB1
Ok, that's good to hear.

Dark Jaguar
I'll try not to spoil much but there is a beautiful forest area in the game, which I am in. So deep a game, why where else could I chase a white rabbit?

Great Rumbler
Woooooo!!! I finally got Xenosaga! And while I've only played for 30 minutes so far, it's pretty fun!!

Dark Jaguar
My friend has just beaten Xenosaga. It is apparently quite a short game....

Nuts....

Oh well, I'll enjoy the ride, which seems to have one more thing similar to a roller coaster.

Great Rumbler
Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
My friend has just beaten Xenosaga. It is apparently quite a short game....

Or he has no life and plays videogames all the time.

I've heard Xenosaga is supposed to be around 20-30 hours not counting cut-scenes.

Dark Jaguar
This person tells me there is just one more area after the area I'm at, which tells me it's a rather short game but tells you nothing since you have no idea where I'm at.

Dark Jaguar
I wish we had the soapbox smily here...

Anyway, time for a rant! Why is it that putting emotion in one's voice seems to be the ONLY thing people respect about acting these days? Do people have to emote EVERY LAST WORD they say? How does that make something MORE realistic? I find it more realistic when people only put emotion in a few important things they say, and sometimes unimportant stuff for jokes. That's reality. Look at Home Movies, that's hilarious because people talk with almost no emotion and it ends up sounding just like real life, sad but true as it is.

I went on this rant because there are morons complaining about the android in this game's voice acting. They say it's about as stale as it gets. IT IS AN ANDROID YOU IDIOT! NO EMOTIONS!

Sacred Jellybean
I find Home Movies to be extremely painful to watch for the same reason. It's the same as that Dr. Katz show... very dry humor. :hammer:

Dark Jaguar
Hmm... I see. So I say something here

yeah

Putting my thoughts on the line, for all to see

yeah

And well, well ya go and shread them apart.

mmhmm

Well...

well...

Well what I'm saying is, well, that was kinda rude...

OB1
I like Home Movies. Not as much as Sealab, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, SGCTC, Ripping Friends, or even the Brak Show, but I still like it.

Dark Jaguar
Agreed.

Dry humor is nice in between my fave kind of humor. It's just hilarious how in control of bodily functions those guys are, like actually being able to control what you say is physically possible...

OB1
What?

Sacred Jellybean
I think another thing that makes Home Movies so hard to watch is the animation... it's so god damned ugly. The dry humor can actually be funny sometimes, but that animation... dear GOD. It makes my head hurt, and I want to vomit all over my television screen to paint a better picture than those god damn animators could.

Yeah, I know it's intentional, but still... so ugly and distracting.

A Black Falcon
Just going to say the game has a nice soundtrack... I've got it in mp3 form.

Dark Jaguar
Yeah it's too bad you almost never hear it... Really, you spend a lot of time running around in silence.

SJ, Home Movies is SUPPOSED to look terrible. It's like South Park that way.