View Thread : an online Yugioh game

eXisTenZe
Yeah Konami, it would be nice to have a Yugioh game that's playable online too! It would be such a lame if you're playing a 2-player versus game with someone everytime its his/her turn you'd have to look the other way around just so you can't see your opponent's deck.... Yes, they should make an online Duel Monsters game, something EVERYONE can play. And if they are to make a game like this, it should be a multi-platform, and as well as creating universal multi-master servers where GC, PS2 and Xbx owners can all duke it out in one intense network server, this is better than segregating them all.

If anyone, please tell me that this is possible? I mean if they can do it on Phantasy Star Online or Capcom VS. SNK EO, why can't they develop a game that's based on card games?

A Black Falcon
They could... note that there's a online PC Magic card game...

eXisTenZe
There's no Yugioh game for the PC....

Dark Jaguar
That's not what he said. He said the Magic: The Gathering card game is a PC online card game.

It's certainly possible. It's about as bandwidth intensive as a chess game is. (Note: Not a lot at all.)

By the way, I totally agree that more online games should work between different system versions. So long as both versions send out and recieve the SAME data, there is no compatibility issue. Many PC/Mac games work online between versions, well of the games that are on both of them, like all of Blizzard's games.

There is a problem though. GCN is a system where online support isn't even done by Nintendo, and so Nintendo's online ability is currently in the catch 22 of no one buying online adapters so companies don't make games to support it and companies not making games to support it so no one buys the adapters. That leaves that out, which is something that would have allowed PS2 and GCN games to link up easily enough. The remaining problem is between PS2 and XBox. Why aren't those online compatible between two versions of the same game? PS2 online games can't log into XBox Live's servers, because after all it's owned by MS. MS also forces 3rd parties to use XBox live alone for their online games. This prevents XBox Live games from hooking up with alternate system versions on ANY system.

There is one remaining thing. PC/PS2 interconnecting. To be honest I can't think of any games that are out on both systems in online form for both. However, if there were, it would certainly be nothing but a good idea for that 3rd party company to make them both use the same online communication protocal so they could indeed link up with each other.

A Black Falcon
Umm... I assumed you knew what Magic cards were... they've only been really popular for at least a decade, probably more...

Its a online card game... and it does require payment but not monthly. You pay to buy card packs (or cards). You get some starter deck and then have to pay (real) money to buy card packs, just like you would for the real game... an interesting business model that might work on consoles too, but I imagine it'd be tougher there...

Most console and PC online games are on seperate networks, even when the games have the same name or are similar... there was a Dreamcast game or two that was online on DC and PC on the same network, but I know some X-Box shooters are on seperate networks from PC ones...

Dark Jaguar
I don't think I'm going to pay real money for digital cards. Real money to access the game is one thing, that's something I might find myself doing for ONE massivly multiplayer RPG at a time. Real money to buy fake items in the game? What is this, eBay's Everquest center? Interesting isn't the word I'd use for the business model...

A Black Falcon
Its intresting because most online games either are free or charge monthly fees. In this one the games themselves are free, but to be able to compete well you must pay to buy cards... unique.

eXisTenZe
No, I have never heard of that game before, please excuse me. I am more fond of Yugioh though.

Dark Jaguar
I have yet to collect any machine types in Magic: The Gathering. You would think there would be at least ONE place in that world with robots, even if they had to do the stereotypical escavating of ancient ruins to find them.

Smoke-X
Originally posted by eXisTenZe
No, I have never heard of that game before, please excuse me. I am more fond of Yugioh though.

That's fine but you should know that Magic: The Gathering is the game that spawned the whole "Collectable Card Game" genre. That means, no Magic: The Gathering, no Yugioh.

Dark Jaguar
Hmm.... I do wonder if they really were the first, in Japan anyway. They started it here to be sure, but in Japan what was the first collector card game?

I'll say this, trading cards sucked until someone decided to make a game out of it.

A Black Falcon
Magic has been around for something like 15 years... I remember people playing it early in elementary school... did any Japanese card games exist then? I don't know of any... Magic created the genre and is still a very popular game in it. How in the world have you never heard of it (if you ever come back to this site and respond, that is...)?