View Thread : Interesting news regarding NVidia, the XBoxNext and the future...

Private Hudson
Found this interesting tid bit:

http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&action=m&board=15969433&tid=atyt&sid=15969433&mid=55287

NVDA Morgan Stanley Conference
by: atyguy (36/M/Montreal) 03/03/03 08:25 pm
Msg: 55287 of 55375

Just listened to the webcast. This is a different Jen-Hsun than I have heard on a couple of other occasions.

Focus of the discussion was on non-core business, but he touched on all segments.

When questioned on what he expected from his new FX GPU family, he hesitated and said that he foresees a good year for the "GPU market" with no real reference to the expected success of the FX family specifically. Said that they are going to market 0.15u mainstream versions of FX, as opposed to the "competitor" which is going with 0.15u in the high end and 0.13u in the mainstream. Says it will provide NVDA with more capacity to meet high-volume mainstream demands and calls it a "clever decision" that should benefit NVDA. Admitted his disappointement with 0.13u delays and problems.

With regard to XBox, said the arbitration process has ultimately helped relationship with MSFT, but when asked about XBox2 he was very ambivalent and said that it represented a significant "technology risk" to any company that undertook the challenge. Uncharacteristically lavished praise on Sony's upcoming PS3 and its cell processor, insinuating that it would almost be miraculous to outdo it.

The only issue on which he sounded relatively confident was nForce2.

Lots of hesitation and uncertainty in his demeanor; he cleared his throat more often than Orton ever has, and sounded far less cocky and sure of himself than I've ever heard him.

Overall, my impressions:

He is far from confident that the GFFX family will be as successful as previous generations.

He is tipping the industry off on the very real possibility that NVDA will not be involved with XBox2.

Just my interpretation, but I recommend listening for yourselves.

On a further note, the Inquirer also had some interesting reportings...

Nvidia bullish about NV30, in both .15 and .13 microns

Jen-Hsun forecasts millions of parts and a $99 GeForce FX

By Mike Magee: Dienstag 04 März 2003, 10:08

JEN-HSUN HUANG, the charismatic CEO of Nvidia, told a meeting of analysts yesterday about his firm's future plans.
Nvidia had $1 billion in the bank at the end of last year, and $200,000 in cash flow money.

He said four new businesses were generating over $100 million in revenues for his company.

At the end of Q4, Nvidia grew its business and upped its gross margin by five points to over 30%.

Nvidia worked off its inventory successfully during Q4, he said. It shipped the GeForce FX and the QuadroFX during that quarter.

Graphics represents a billion out of its approximately $2 billion revenue. In the last four years Nvidia shipped over 200 million processors. Three out of four PCs has Nvidia technology in it, he said.

Moving to .13 micron was very hard and delayed its move to the marketplace by a couple of months, but now yields are better.

GeForce FX and DX9 will ship in large quantities this year. "Once every four years or so you'll see [the technology] move in a very significant way."

The last big revolution was Quake II, he said.

He claimed GeForce FX is the most powerful graphics processor in the market today.

It's made using copper interconnect and .13 micron by TSMC. "It's the only graphics device that has reached a 1GHz data rate," he said.

The workstation market is growing because the industry is in the process of transforming it. It's worth $50 million, and it's important strategically for Nvidia because of its place in content and digital creation.

The Quadro FX architecture has for the first time made it possible for hardware to play a role in the very high end content market, using programmable shaders, and for films and for cut scenes in video games, or in TV ads.

Mobile graphics, the GeForce Go! brand is a $150 million business for NVDA, giving it 25 per cent of the market. "We've every opportunity to make it continue to grow," he said.

Chipsets are an important part of Nvidia's business, worth another $150 million. It only has two per cent market share but it has much room to go. The Nforce 2 is "catching the imagination" of the marketplace.

He said he tried not to be angry with its Xbox business because it gives Nvidia hundreds of millions of dollars. This business is the first entry Nvidia has made into consumer electronics.

He's incredibly excited about what Microsoft is doing with Xbox, he said. There was no question that Halo was way above anything on the Playstation 2, he said.

Nvidia will take GeForce from top to bottom of the market. It has .15 micron versions of GeForce FX in production.

Did we know this already? I don't think so.

It will be used in "low end" GeForce FX and will ship "millions and millions" of chips.

2003 will be a good year for GPUs, he said. AGP 8X is the first major platform change from Intel – and will create an upsurge for graphics processors.

Most high end GPUs are expensive, but it's not until a GeForce FX card comes down to $99 that it really makes a big splash in the industry.

Nvidia has many different kinds of relationships with Microsoft aside from the Xbox, and include a serious involvement with Longhorn.

The arbitration process [with Microsoft] is a legal process and Nvidia learnt a lot about the process and understood much through this relationship.

He seemed to suggest that Nvidia may not necessarily go with the Xbox 2 architecture, because of the enormous engineering challenges.

Without the Xbox the world would not have learned about programmable shaders, he said.

The Playstation 3 will be a miracle machine but it will take an extraordinary effort for a company to create it. By the second half of this year, Nvidia's foundry will be able to produce 12-inch silicon dinner plates, so achieving economies of scale. µ

Reading the above makes you wonder and raises a few question:

a.) will Nvidia design the GPU of Xbox 2?
b.) thoughts on PS3 by Nvidia

If the above article is any indication, obviously Nvidia is very impressed by what Sony has been working on. Is this the reason why they may not join with Microsoft anymore? Also, if they don't, what will this mean for Xbox 2? ATI seems to be in talks with Nintendo, so who will Microsoft be left with? Time is running out. And lastly, with the decrease of the PC-gaming industry, Microsoft aswell as Nvidia are damned to loose marketshare - wwould it be clever of Nvidia to stay within that market? Particularly given the huge advancements that ATi have been making lately?

DMiller
Well, seems ATI and Nintendo are done talking and are ready to start designing the next Nintendo console's graphics chip. <a href=http://www.n-philes.com/php/epuyzlzpeaeayyufuapa.php>Link</a>. Nintendo is actually ahead of the game for once. ATI has also expressed intrest in designing teh next Xbox chip, but nothing has come of that yet.

A Black Falcon
http://pc.ign.com/articles/388/388066p1.html
long article about the new ATI cards...

ATI seems to be taking its lead and running with it... its extremely surprising to see ATI of all people in the lead. Sure, they have been around for a really long time... but most of the time they were a simple mass-market-only cardmaker whose products wouldn't be touched by a 10-foot pole by real gamers... but then a little while ago they suddenly got really good and started making great cards. And now that NVidia faltered, they take the lead...

All I hope is that NVidia can recover and not pull a 3Dfx...

OB1
ATI is kicking nvidia's ass right now. NVidia's new Geforce FX isn't much more powerful than the 9700 Pro, and ATI has a new card coming out next month for the same price as the FX that will completely blow it out of the water.

And I could have sworn I read that ATI was developing the GPU for the X-Box 2.

Great Rumbler
I really hope MS doesn't call it Xbox Next, although that would be better than Xbox 2.

WhiteFleck
OB1, you could probably disregard any rumors of that sort, because I would venture to say Nintendo's pretty much got their focus. They are in a deal, after all. Would Nintendo let their chipmaker play them for the fool?

DMiller
ATI has stated publically that they want to develop the next Xbox's GPU as well as Nintendo's, but so far nothing has been confirmed to be in the works.

Private Hudson
Originally posted by DMiller
ATI has stated publically that they want to develop the next Xbox's GPU as well as Nintendo's, but so far nothing has been confirmed to be in the works.

I wonder who would get the most powerful chip..

DMiller
Hehe, yeah, I never really thought of what it would be like if the same chip maker produced both Nintendo and Microsoft's graphics chip. It would be interesting, but even though ATI really wants to work on the next Xbox, I don't see it happening now that they are working on the next Nintendo console.

A Black Falcon
Why couldn't they do both? ATI is a big company...

OB1
I don't see why they couldn't be working on both. But whoever gets their chip worked on last will most likely have the most powerful GPU, methinks. The Gamecube and X-Box came out at the same time, but the Gamecube was made before the X-Box. The only reason the Gamecube came out as late as it did was because Nintendo needed more time to develop their games. And look what we got: Luigi's Mansion. That was the big EAD game that took so long to develop, although Pikmin followed the next month. Not exactly huge games. Remember that HAL made SSB and NST made Wave Race. I just hope that Nintendo starts development on their N2005 launch games ASAP, even if that means cancelling some Gamecube titles.

A Black Falcon
Yeah. Luigi's Mansion is not exactly the title you release to get people to buy your new console... Pikmin neither. SSB:M maybe, but that came out months later... and Rogue Leader only appeals to a specific market. For me Rogue Leader was the system-seller... it was the only game I had for Cube from when I got it shortly after launch until that christmas... but for most people that game wasn't on that level.

They need a Mario platformer... or something on that level... to make the next launch more successful...

OB1
Or how about a new Mario game, a new racing game (like Wave Race, F-Zero, or Mario Kart), and a new Smash Bros. Now that would be a launch!