View Thread : PS3 in 2003??

OB1
From Games Are Fun (http://www.gamesarefun.com/cgi-bin/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1047378490,20835,), who got it from Bloomberg:

PS3 in 2003
Well, it would certainly be a way to get a leg up on the competition as long as gamers don’t feel Sony is letting its robotic dog, Aibo, put its leg up on them. Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. of Taiwan is a production company that currently assembles PlayStation2 systems. The company has said it will begin trial production of the new PS3 console next month.

Sony has been collaborating with Toshiba and Business Machines Inc on the “cell” chip which would be designed to handle graphics and sound over the internet. There was a story about it also being able to combine the powers of the processors from other consoles Captain Planetesque for super powers to fight off all the invading space aliens and giant lizards they have over there in Japan.

Reports say that the PS3 could be sold as early as midyear in Japan and see US shores before the year is out. Sony has yet to comment on this story. If such a thing was to come to pass, an official announcement would probably be made at E3 in May.

The early release of the PS3 would be a shock to competitors Microsoft and Nintendo who were both looking to get the jump sometime in 2004-2005. It should be interesting to hear what Sony says which probably won't be until their press conference at E3. Those few weeks seem a lot longer now.
Source: Bloomberg/Gamefront

Posted by Moridin on 3.11.2021

This is insane! I really don't believe it, but if Sony did this it would be a real kick in the pants for Nintendo and MS.

Great Rumbler
This could also be a kick in the pants to Sony, if it turns out true.

People who spent $300 on the PS2 when it first came might not feel like shelling out another $300 for a PS3 barely 3 years later.

If Sony does this I seriously hope they don't sell any consoles, becuase it would be what they deserve.

OB1
I think they'd do anything to get their new system out before Nintendo and Microsoft, but will the hardware be ready?

Dark Jaguar
Which is exactly why Nintendo and MS have been working on their next console since this one was released (like ya didn't know...). They are just beefing up the specs as high as they can until an official launch date is announced, and then they will finalize everything in those last months and launch whatever they got. Well, that's my half arsed theory, which is of course WRONG, because that would be TORTURE for the system designers to be working like that "Hey, make sure at each and every stage it's capable of playing games" :D.

Ryan
I have faith that Sony isn't that stupid. 2005 at the earliest. The PS2 still sells in droves, it just wouldn't make sense to do another one so soon.

For that matter, I wonder why there are so many different rumors about when Sony will launch PS3, and why the forecasts seem to get earlier each time.

Private Hudson
Sony already denied this rumour.

And it was obvious BS the moment it was announced.

alien space marine
The PS3 is being designed to use the cell chip.
Sony has already bought the rights to playstation3.com domian name.PS3 does exist. As for its release date it is still unconfirmed.
Though sony is at odds with the Xbox mainly over its superior online conectivity xbox live program.
it wouldnt suprise me if the PS3 is unvailed this year but being released thats another story.

A Black Falcon
It would be stupid for Sony to release a new system while its current one is still super popular... that's just not good business sense. No, a '05-'05 launch after this gen of systems drops off is much more likely... launching a system now would just be dumb!

Dark Jaguar
Alien Space Marine, you seem to be unable to understand English grammar. I say this only because of how you seem to speak in a strange unintelligable way that often lacks punctuation and because you seem to completely misunderstand us much of the time. While it's impressive that you have learned English as well as you have, not even being human and all, I suspect you should learn a little more.

Weltall ddn't say the PS3 was just a rumor. He said the claim that it's being released this summer is just a rumor.

A Black Falcon
Yeah... alienspacemarine, are you a native english speaker? If so... well I think you need help... because your spelling and grammar is incredibly bad... it makes you really hard to understand!

Oh, and its good to hear that its a rumor... stupid it may be (to release a new console this year), if Sony did they would undoubtedly sell a lot of them (if it had a system-selling game...)... I doubt people would suddenly abandon Sony just because they released their next console early, after all...

Dark Lord Neo
Originally posted by A Black Falcon
Yeah... alienspacemarine, are you a native english speaker? If so... well I think you need help... because your spelling and grammar is incredibly bad... it makes you really hard to understand!

Oh, and its good to hear that its a rumor... stupid it may be (to release a new console this year), if Sony did they would undoubtedly sell a lot of them (if it had a system-selling game...)... I doubt people would suddenly abandon Sony just because they released their next console early, after all...
Are we sure he's not Uncle Joe/Odin, because if he is that would explain alot, especially the grammer:D

Sacred Jellybean
I'm sure he is Odin, as Odin always seems to cling to us whenever he finds the chance to return. Have you noticed that he makes the same basic grammatical mistakes, such as forgetting to put spaces after the period in each sentence (and if not that, just putting in a carriage return)?

I don't really care, as long as he's no longer spamming the board...

A Black Falcon
Well that would explain a lot, including the abysmal english... though I thought Odin might have had better english than this, maybe I just don't remember it exactly...

alien space marine
why do you all expect me to be as good as shakespear?
I have made attempts to improve my writting.
I just feel you are all too critacle , for such minor mistakes

Dark Lord Neo
I meant it would explain alot seeing as english isn't your first language(assuming you are admiting to being odin)

Dark Jaguar
Shakespear wasn't so easy to understand either. In fear of being seen as a philistine, most people say he was "brilliant" instead of realizing that most of his plays were just recycled old stories or very sitcom-esqu plots (A midsummer night's whatever...).

OB1
MacBeth and King Lear are both great stories.

A Black Falcon
DJ, spelling "Shakespeare" "Shakespear" pinpoints you pretty well as a philistine... :D

Dark Jaguar
:D I was wanting OB1 to notice that first...

alien space marine
I have austism.
if that clears things up a little.

Private Hudson
Originally posted by OB1
MacBeth and King Lear are both great stories.

They're hardly his best..

alien space marine
Romeo and Juliet is the best .
its his only play thats even remotely funny.

EdenMaster
Most of Shakespeares plays are not comedies. R&J is a romantic tragedy, I can't recall any moments of laughter in that book (mostly because I was being forced to read it in 9th grade), but it did help me understand the far more hilarious l33t version.

1 bit my tumb at u.

Personally, I think Julius Caesar is my favorite of all of his plays.

Great Rumbler
The Romeo and Juliet movie that was set in modern times was cool.

EdenMaster
It was good, but it could have been worlds better if Romeo wasnt played by Leonardo "Testosterone Free" DeCaprio.

Ryan
Ah, give the guy a break, even I thought DiCraprio was good in that movie.

Private Hudson
Originally posted by alien space marine
Romeo and Juliet is the best .
its his only play thats even remotely funny.

You've got to be kidding me.

He's got some hilarious plays.

OB1
Originally posted by Private Hudson
They're hardly his best..

Well they made for the best movie adaptations (Akira Kurosawa's "Throne of Blood" and "Ran"). I never cared for Romeo and Juliet.

A Black Falcon
In case anyone cares about the topic, Sony confirmed that this rumor has no factual basis...

Private Hudson
Originally posted by A Black Falcon
In case anyone cares about the topic, Sony confirmed that this rumor has no factual basis...

If you read the 6th post in the thread, I said this:

Originally posted by Private Hudson
Sony already denied this rumour.

And it was obvious BS the moment it was announced.

Sony's denial had been reported by websites before this thread was even created. :)

A Black Falcon
Then why create the thread? And I guess they denied it again or something because it was reported agaiin in some places...

Smoke-X
Oh come on now, play nice. I understand ASM just fine. Plus I love that avatar. :D

As for the rumor, I can't believe any of you would even entertain the notion that this could be true.