Tendo City:  Let's sit down and discuss this irrationally!  

Go Back  Tendo City: Let's sit down and discuss this irrationally! > Tendo City: Metropolitan District > Multiconsole City

Thu, March 12th, 2009   #81
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

NES
--
Gauntlet

SNES
--
Thunder Spirits

N64
--
Mickey's Speedway USA

Gauntlet... well, of course I had to get Gauntlet. The NES version of the arcade classic I've loved for so long? Yeah, must-own. Mickey's Speedway USA... um, I don't know, it was cheap and it's from Rare when they were good, so despite the mediocre reviews, I couldn't resist. For $10 for all three, it doesn't matter much how good it is overall... and I did have to own it sometime. Thunder Spirits is great to have, though. Sure, fans generally seem to prefer the original (Thunder Force III for Genesis, which this is a thirdhand version of (Thunder Force AC for arcades was the second version)), but I don't have that one and haven't seen any copies of it, though I do have Thunder Force II and IV (aka Lightening Force), so I'm pretty happy with this. And it's not exactly the same as TFIII, so either way, it'd definitely be worth having. I like shmups a lot, and the 16-bit consoles are exceptionally good at the genre, so when I saw they had it I had to get it.
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
Sun, March 15th, 2009   #82
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

NES Gauntlet is completely, totally awesome.
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
Sat, May 9th, 2009   #83
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Saw a bunch of awesome stuff today, but could only get a few things... so I got some awesome ones.

(These were $4 each.)

NES
--
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden II: Ancient Ship of Doom
The Guardian Legend
Arkista's Ring

They had some other good ones too, and I seriously considered also getting Cobra Triangle, but I didn't, for now at least. Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 and Guardian Legend are great, great games, though...
Sun, May 10th, 2009   #84
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Genesis
--
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi (complete with case and manual, $3) -- This is one I've been looking for ever since I got my Genesis, my cousins have it and it's a fantastic game that's easily my favorite Shinobi game on the system no question. It's really, really awesome to have found it... such a fun game.

Oh, I was given a free broken copy of Syd of Valis (Genesis) too. Somebody had returned it as broken and he offered it to me, so why not? And indeed, it doesn't work; the Sega logo appears, then just a black screen. I'd take it apart and clean inside or something if I had a gamebit, but I don't... whenever I get one though, I'll try it. Just like that broken copy of Sonic 3 I have... kind of odd. I now have four Genesis games that don't work (all that came nonfunctional), and no broken NES or SNES or N64 ones. Wonder why... I do have one broken GBC game, though.
Tue, May 19th, 2009   #85
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Genesis
--
Twin Cobra

NES
--
R.C. Pro-Am

N64
--
Scooby-Doo: Classic Creep Capers
Fri, June 5th, 2009   #86
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

A couple of days ago:

Game Boy
--
Ninja Gaiden Shadow (cart only)
Mercenary Force (cart only)

NES
--
Maxi 15 (cart only, peeling end label)

PC
--
American McGee's Alice
Clive Barker's Undying (both combined in the small fold-out 2-pack edition, complete (that is, with box and jewelcases).)

... All for only $12. Yeah, fantastic price... Maxi 15 alone sells for well over that on Ebay, much less the rest of it... (and the two PC games counted as one, because they come packed together. ) pretty cool. I've been playing Ninja Gaiden Shadow. It's pretty good, plays just like Shadow of the Ninja as expected. I've gotten to the final boss (there are only five levels, of moderate difficulty), but the final boss's second form is quite challenging, so I haven't gotten past that yet. I'll see if I can...
Wed, June 10th, 2009   #87
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Dreamcast
--
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 (complete, $1)

Eh, not exactly the kind of racing game that really interests me (it's just a 'tuner' game where you drive around at night racing one opponent at a time on mostly straight or slightly curved highways, dodging some traffic), but for that price, who could refuse... the graphics are good for the system, but yeah, I do find the gameplay somewhat boring. It's also got no multiplayer, for absolutely no apparent reason; even the first Tokyo Xtreme Racer on DC had a 2p splitscreen mode! So yeah, nothing amazing, but why not.
Wed, June 17th, 2009   #88
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Genesis
--
Alien Storm (complete, $4.50)

... Decent game. Nothing amazing, but decent. I've gotten to the sixth level already, I believe, out of eight; only the three credit limit makes it harder. Still, fun enough to be worth getting for sure.
Thu, June 18th, 2009   #89
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

On the one hand, I got an amazing deal on a pretty good game...

But on the other hand, the battery is completely dead, so turn it off and a minute later your file is gone. What do I have to do, leave my SNES on for two weeks again?

SNES
--
Kirby's Dream Land 3 ($2, cart only)

... For that price I really can't complain, given that on EBay it goes for $20-$25 in general, but it is really too bad. IT does make me wonder, though... this one's from 1997, the last first-party release in the US on the system. I have many older games with working batteries, including every one of my battery-backed Genesis games. Why is this one dead? Why do some games last like 20 or 25 years with one battery, while other batteries are dead five or ten years later? It's pretty strange, really.
Wed, July 1st, 2009   #90
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Game Boy
--
Battle Arena Toshinden
Samurai Shodown
Balloon Kid

Game Boy Color
--
Rayman
Rayman 2

Game Boy Advance
--
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (Japanese version)

Nintendo 64
--
Roadsters

All games cart only. $13 total (the Kirby game was a lot cheaper than it usually would be because it's the import version and the guy at the gamestore didn't think it'd be worth as much...). They had a whole box of GB/GBC/GBA games, nothing really amazing (no GB Mega Man, Shantae, stuff like that) but some good stuff, of which I got a few... might get a few more another time, such as Adventure Island II (GB), Montezuma's Return (GB/C), Perfect Dark (GBC), and Duck Tales II (GB), among others.

Last edited by A Black Falcon : Fri, July 3rd, 2009 at 04:38 PM.
Fri, July 3rd, 2009   #91
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

... I don't know why, for some reason I couldn't resist. It was pretty cheap? Oh well... it is kind of cool to have I guess.

Majesco-model Game Gear (in quite good shape, with the manual)
Pac-Man (Majesco re-release version, complete in box, though the box has a tear on the back)
Sonic Spinball (cart only)

($14 for these things)

Then I got...
--
another Genesis 2/32X/GG power supply to use with it (because without one there's no point, given the awful battery life)
Winter Olympics Lillehammer '94 (cart only)
Super Monaco GP (cart only)

($5 for those three things)

There are perhaps a few more games available locally, but the only other stuff I saw as more sports stuff. I don't really want Madden, NHL, or Clutch Hitter, I think... I'll see if I can find anything interesting.

... Of the four games I have so far though, Pac-Man is great of course, a good port. Sonic Spinball seems surprisingly decent, maybe even more fun than the Genesis one (which I definitely found questionable and way too hard)... I'll have to play it more. Winter Olympics is okay, probably above average for US Gold... very hard though, I played through it once and finished in last in all of the 10 events. Skiing controls are character-relevant, not camera-relevant, so they're a bit confusing. As for Super Monaco GP, it's okay, but these more 'simmish' 8/16-bit style behind-the-car racing games aren't exactly one of my favorite things. You have to brake to get around the turns... bah.

.. Oh, and for a dollar I got a GBA light attachment thing. My Worm Light broke some time back, it's nice to have something to replace it...

Last edited by A Black Falcon : Fri, July 3rd, 2009 at 05:02 PM.
Sat, July 4th, 2009   #92
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Oh, I somehow forgot one. Not sure how I did, it's a great NES classic...

NES
--
Guerrilla War
Thu, July 16th, 2009   #93
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

PS2
--
The King of Fighters 2002 & 2003 -- for $3, discs and manual only? Um, yes, considering how awesome they are and how the game's like $30 online!

Awesome, awesome find, I love these games so much...
Sun, July 19th, 2009   #94
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Game Gear
--
Crystal Warriors -- As soon as I got the system I knew I'd have to get this... saw one fairly cheap online so I bought it. It's a good strategy-RPG from Sega that actually got a Western release, quite rare for 1992!
4 Weeks Ago   #95
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Okay, stuff I've gotten in the past few weeks...

Game Boy (all cart only)
--
Adventure Island II (port/remake of Adventure Island III for the NES)
Battle Arena Toshinden (second copy for link play, it was just a few bucks...)
DuckTales 2 (port of the NES game of the same name)

Game Gear
--
Star Wars (cart only)

Game Boy Advance
--
Karnaaj Rally -- Some of the worst art design ever, but the actual game is a good top-down racing game in the Death Rally vein... (cart only)

Playstation
--
Battle Arena Toshinden 3 -- yeah, this isn't very good. The GB game is a lot better.
Driver (disc only) -- I have it for PC of course, but for $2 I couldn't resist... great game, but still brutally hard! Still, I loved this game back when I first got it..
College Slam (complete longbox version) -- College NBA Jam, essentially. For $2 I said 'why not?'. Haven't played it much yet.

Dreamcast
--
Frogger 2 - Swampy's Revenge (complete) - seems okay, if unspectacular.
Hydro Thunder (complete) - one of my all-time favorite racing games... the long load times hurt this version, though.

Oh, I also got another PSX memory card because the four I have are all full. I also got another 6-button Genesis controller, because I'd been looking for one for a long time and finally found one, and for really cheap too!
4 Weeks Ago   #96
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Odd, I can't find any 3 button Genesis controllers around here. I've got 3 6 button controllers, two of the Genesis 3 model type and one of the original type.

I'd really like to find a Power Glove. I'd wear it playing my Wii.
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
3 Weeks Ago   #97
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

I don't know if I want a 3-button controller, I have two official 6-button controllers, a 6-button turbo arcade stick, and a junky third party 6-button controller. There'd be no reason to buy a 3-button one aside from maybe a bit of nostalgia value for the original controller...

That 6-button controller I just got was $3, which is awesome. They actually also got in two 3-button controllers at the same time, which are still both there and would be the same price. As I just said though, getting one isn't too high on my priority list... maybe someday.

Oh, and agreed about a Power Glove. That would be awesome. A U-Force would be interesting too...
2 Weeks Ago   #98
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

A fairly new comics and figures and stuff store now carries older videogame stuff. Prices are average to high ($75 for a complete with box Atari 7800? I know that the things are rare around here, that is the first one I have seen this decade, but still, that price is too high, even with the box...), but they had some very interesting stuff... could only spend a bit of money, and this is what I got. Cost $20 total.

N64
--
Doom 64 (cart only) (seems good)

Game Gear
--
Sonic the Hedgehog (cart only) (finally... awesome game! I'd been wanting this badly... awesome to find one)

NES
--
Iron Tank (cart with box and slipcover but no manual) (good SNK shooting fun... with box! They had a whole stack of NES games with boxes... )

Genesis
--
Blades of Vengeance (cart and box, no manual) -- One of EA's best Geneiss games, I think. It's a side-scrolling fantasy action-platform game, with a 2-player simultaneous mode, and it's great stuff. Quite hard, and it has no saving or continues, but pretty good... I've been hoping I'd see a copy of this game for a while, so I couldn't miss a chance at getting it.)
2 Weeks Ago   #99
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

U-Force, I remember those! Well, I remember the commercial. I don't know anyone that actually had one. Supposedly it had some infrared sensors that detected where you move your hands around it, or it's one of those magnetic field things where it just detects anything interrupting it to determine position. I dunno...

Personally I doubt I'd ever want to get a 3 button controller either, I'm just noting they aren't really common around here.
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
2 Weeks Ago   #100
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

I mostly know it from the AGVN video and years of hearing that it was awful, really. Which all makes me want to try it for myself.

As for 3-button controllers being rare, that is definitely odd... they're quite common around here, as you'd expect with it being the main controller for years for a very popular system.

Edit: Several days later: Grandia (Saturn) (Japanese version) (complete)

Last edited by A Black Falcon : 5 Days Ago at 06:48 PM.
5 Days Ago   #101
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

NES
--
Legendary Wings

SNES
--
TinStar

N64
--
Chameleon Twist

$10 total for the three. Chameleon Twist is a pretty fun little 3d platformer for sure...

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: