Tendo City:  The Cake Is A Lie!  

Go Back  Tendo City: The Cake Is A Lie! > Tendo City: Metropolitan District > Multiconsole City

Sun, April 22nd, 2007   #1
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Default Square-Enix just came out and SAID it? I respect their honesty.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/22/s...re-make-old-on/

Well now this is interesting. Squeenix basically had made a concious effort to dedicate themselves to the "business model" of remaking all their old games ad inifinitum. Once the ad nausia sets in though, I think this could backfire in a major way.

Sad though... I wish they never realized just how much someone is willing to pay for an extra dungeon. I mean Nintendo, for example, originally felt they could only sell " games we already made" by packing 4 enhanced versions into a single cart called Super Mario All-Stars. With the GBC and GBA, they reached a point where they realized they could sell the games with a lot of additional gameplay features as SEPERATE entities, no more collection packages. They died. Then AFTER GBC's Deluxe SMB, they actually had the gall to release the original and completely dull by comparison NES versions of the game, seperatly as well, no package.

Instead of doing remakes over and over again, I think they really need to take advantage of downloadable content. Release a final remake once more and then from that point on, whatever crazy feature or dungeon you want to toss in, make it a downloadable content pack. Or not, since for now at least people seem willing to pay for these games AGAIN.
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
Sun, April 22nd, 2007   #2
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

Remember, new things are dangerous, bad, and wrong!

... and probably don't sell as well.
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
Sun, April 22nd, 2007   #3
Great Rumbler
Tendocity's Resident Accountant and Amateur Writer

Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler

As long as the games are fun.

Read my web log.
Sun, April 22nd, 2007   #4
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

Well, this does explain why they're remaking FF1+2 for the third time, anyway...
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
Sun, April 22nd, 2007   #5
DMiller
Infrequent Poster

Send a message via AIM to DMiller

Wonderful reporting job. Turns out they got the story from a satire web site.
Sun, April 22nd, 2007   #6
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

I should have checked their sources. My bad!

Well in that case let this stand as a testament to poor research on news articles I read.

At any rate, they are releasing a lot of remakes lately though . ABF, actually it's more than the 3rd time. The PS1 game was a port of the Wonderswan Color remakes.
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
Sun, April 22nd, 2007   #7
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Rumbler
As long as the games are fun.

Sure, fun, the SAME fun, and if any company actually did go through with this sort of focus, that means no development of original content.
Sun, April 22nd, 2007   #8
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Quote:
At any rate, they are releasing a lot of remakes lately though . ABF, actually it's more than the 3rd time. The PS1 game was a port of the Wonderswan Color remakes.

You're right... I forgot those. Fourth time.
Quote:
Wonderful reporting job. Turns out they got the story from a satire web site.

It's true anyway, though...
Tue, April 24th, 2007   #9
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Hey, it is true after all! Almost...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158965
Tue, April 24th, 2007   #10
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

10 YEARS? Wow... Look I've got no problems with spinoffs really. I mean Final Fantasy itself has been getting spun off for twice that time, and there's Mario, Zelda, Megaman. We eat up spinoffs. But seriously, when you have names like "Final Fantasy X-2", well, it's retarded. I think at some point they should have the guts to retire the name at least. It's not like they will retire anything else. It may even give the illusion that they are constantly making new IPs considering the nature of Final Fantasy. At least that way if they decide to stretch one of these games out into a million spinoffs, the names won't sound retarded.
Wed, April 25th, 2007   #11
Geno
Nothing can stop me except perhaps for a rake.

Send a message via AIM to Geno Send a message via MSN to Geno Send a message via Yahoo to Geno

I wouldn't mind seeing Chrono Trigger in 3D or Final Fantasy VII with better graphics. Sure, it's lazier than writing a new story, but they don't run the risk of making a story that totally sucks, right?

But seriously, I'm disappointed with Square Enix. They (or at least Square) were my favorite developer for a while, but lately, most of their games (with the notable exception of Kingdom Hearts II) have been complete crap. Granted, I've barely played Final Fantasy XII, so I can't say how that stands with me (I really need to get back to it). Nevertheless, I long for the days when my love for Square was not a story of nostalgia.
Wed, April 25th, 2007   #12
EdenMaster
If It's Not About Brawl, Chances Are I Don't Care.

Send a message via AIM to EdenMaster Send a message via MSN to EdenMaster

You should play FFXII Geno. It's an extraordinary game, but set aside quite a bit of time if you hope to see it ot the end, it's a long one .

Hey, in 10 or so years, maybe they'll release a next-next gen FFX. I can dream, can't I?

Wed, April 25th, 2007   #13
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

FFXII... it seems to be a 'love or hate' game. That is, hardcore console-RPG fans which can't handle the changes in the game hate it. People who like the idea of console RPGs finally getting out of the 1980s like it. (No I haven't played it, so I don't know if I'd actually like it given how it also has plenty of repetition and presumably grind, but I know more than enough about it to say that at least...)
Thu, April 26th, 2007   #14
Geno
Nothing can stop me except perhaps for a rake.

Send a message via AIM to Geno Send a message via MSN to Geno Send a message via Yahoo to Geno

When I heard about FFXII's battle system, I was excited, hoping it would be along the lines of Kingdom Hearts. I find that it's too slow though; I'd prefer a Kingdom Hearts sort of battle system. Nevertheless, I'll give it a chance (when Super Paper Mario stops consuming my soul) and see if maybe the plot and characters can carry it along for me.
Thu, April 26th, 2007   #15
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Isn't Kingdom Hearts an action-RPG? The numbered FF games are true RPGs, not action-RPGs...
Thu, April 26th, 2007   #16
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

I was never under the impression that it was an action game. It has more real time elements but is still very RPG. It basically tries to be a good combination of the real time RPG battles found in American RPGs and typical console RPGs. The demo had me doubting it but the final game manages to do a very good job and is an incredibly good game.
Thu, April 26th, 2007   #17
EdenMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno
When I heard about FFXII's battle system, I was excited, hoping it would be along the lines of Kingdom Hearts. I find that it's too slow though; I'd prefer a Kingdom Hearts sort of battle system. Nevertheless, I'll give it a chance (when Super Paper Mario stops consuming my soul) and see if maybe the plot and characters can carry it along for me.

It's a bit of a change from normal FF storyline fare. For one, character development is really scaled back, much to my dismay. Rather than focusing the story around the members of your party, the game focuses more on the world and the events occuring in it. Character development was always my favorite part of FF, and while it present in XII, it's greatly sacrificed so the game can focus on the overlappign story arc.

Not a bad thing to day about it though, in hindsight. Truly an amazing game. But beware the Pharos at Ridorana. *shudder*

Thu, April 26th, 2007   #18
DMiller
Infrequent Poster

Send a message via AIM to DMiller

I actually liked the story being told in a historical context instead of focusing on the characters. It made you feel like you were a part of the greater conflict instead of just skating on the outskirts until the bad guys finally decided to give a damn about your little band of misfits. I don't think it's a one or the other proposition, though, and hopefully FFXIII mixes the best of both methods of storytelling.
Wed, May 9th, 2007   #19
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Now in development: Final Fantasy IV DS, remade in 3d. Seriously.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154615

If that original story in this thread was fake, then Square sure seems to be going out of its way to prove how accurate it was...
Wed, May 9th, 2007   #20
EdenMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
Now in development: Final Fantasy IV DS, remade in 3d. Seriously.

We are sad to report the unfortunate death of EdenMaster. Upon reading the news of FFIV DS so carelessly posted by A Black Falcon, EdenMaster spontaneously exploded. His last words were, however, still echoing in his apartment, bouncing from wall to wall, when we found him:

"OH MY FUCKING GOD YES"

We regret having to share this news.

Wed, May 9th, 2007   #21
Great Rumbler

3D FFVI-DS please.

Read my web log.
Wed, May 9th, 2007   #22
lazyfatbum
Sennin

It's going to happen. Chrono Trigger on DS in 3-D. It will happen.

*takes Eden's shoes and runs back to the shadows*
Thu, May 10th, 2007   #23
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

But they just released it on the GBA two or three years ago! Another remake so soon, 3d or not, is just stupid...
Thu, May 10th, 2007   #24
Great Rumbler

Well, the GBA version wasn't exactly a remake, more of a touch-up. This is a full-blown remake. And who cares? I didn't buy that one anyway.

Read my web log.
Thu, May 10th, 2007   #25
EdenMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
But they just released it on the GBA two or three years ago! Another remake so soon, 3d or not, is just stupid...

It's not stupid. The GBA version whetted our appetite and reminded us how much the game rules, and now they're hitting us with a total 3d remake. Hell, I'll buy it. I'll buy two.

Oh, and by the way, I'm all better now. They put my brain in a robot body. I have the strength of five gorillas now, but I wish I were taller.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: