Tendo City:  The Cake Is A Lie!  

Go Back  Tendo City: The Cake Is A Lie! > Tendo City: Metropolitan District > Multiconsole City

Sun, July 8th, 2007   #41
Paco
rhymes with taco

Send a message via MSN to Paco

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyfatbum
Hey Paco's not being all XBOX IS REVOFUGWLLARY! It's good to see that you finally accept that Microsoft is a total failure and doesn't factually exist, I mean really, it's Sega all over again.

is blue dragon out in america yet? or that MMO Mr. Mustache (FF and cronotrigger dude) was reportedly working on... did that ever happen?
Blue Dragon comes out in the states in August.

Sakaguchi just recently (like three days ago) announced that he is working on it. Before that I believe all he did was mention it as an idea. He did not mention when it was due to release, only that he's busy finishing up Lost Odyssey which will release globally this December. Then he's also working on Cry-On which is due in 2008 sometime...I'm guessing it's going to be a while before we see the MMO.

My TeamXbox Base Page
Sun, July 8th, 2007   #42
Great Rumbler
Tendocity's Resident Accountant and Amateur Writer

Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler

Quote:
I mean, what's this year's big game?

Personally, I have very little interest in Halo 3. To me the big games are Bioshock, Blue Dragon, Alan Wake, Grand Theft Auto 4, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Tom Clancy's Endwar, Assassin's Creed, Overlord, Burnout: Paradise, Carcassonne, and Beautiful Katamari. Along with some other FPSs, of course.

Read my web log.
Sun, July 8th, 2007   #43
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

So apparently Sony will be dropping the PS3 price, but they are introducing an even newer PS3 model that's going to be $600 anyway. The advantage? It's got an 80 GB hard disk instead of 60. Is 20 GB really worth $100? Compare this to the Elite 360 which includes a 120 GB, a major upgrade over the normal 20 GB hard disk, for LESS than $100 over the model below it.

Well, I speak too soon, apparently it also includes a game. That is, a game no one cares about. MotorStorm? Seriously...

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/08/r...del-hitting-nor

Sony, just start packing the 80GB drive with the standard PS3, as it's not a major upgrade at all (seriously, as it uses currently existing technology, you should be able to get it for nearly the same price as the old 60 if you TRY hard enough), and forget the game pack-in. That's just wasting people's money on your current selection of games which is, sad to say, NOT WORTH IT.
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
Sun, July 8th, 2007   #44
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

Quote:
1) I recently did a breakdown of available genres for the Xbox 360. You might be surprised to find out that FPS games account for only 12% of the 360 library, and mature rated games only account for 23%. You can see the entire list and the accompanying pie charts here: Link (it's post #62)

Having said that, I did more research to find out that, while smaller in numbers, the FPS and mature categories have higher quality ratios than the other genres or ratings, respectively. Be that as it may, there are still some quality titles available for across all ratings. It seems as though Microsoft needs to get better at making people aware of them. In other words, don't only advertise Halo 3 this holiday, Microsoft.

Yes, of course games across all genres are available. But the FPSes dominate attention-wise, dominate ratings-wise as you say, and are the clear focus of attention. Could a gamer buy an X360, buy no FPSes for it, and really be happy with their decision? Maybe, but so many of the top games are FPSes...

As for your last point, I think that part of the problem is public perception -- as I said that "Xbox just has FPSes" like "Nintendo games are for children". Of course there is a variety of stuff available... but a lot of the games that draw the most attention, and sales, fall right into that stereotype, and it continues on. MS seems to be doing even less to fight their "FPS/hardcore gamer" stereotype than Nintendo has done for most of the time since they were marked as "kiddy". I mean, they have done a few games that could have pushed the X360, like Viva Pinata and stuff, but they didn't really try very hard... combine that with the EXTREMELY mass-market unfriendly price that MS is unwilling to drop and you get the picture of a company that doesn't mind the fact that their console is mainly aimed at a limited audience. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get...

Remember, perceptions are most important. Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil did nothing to change "Nintendo=kiddy" and did nothing to get more mature games on the system.
Quote:
2) There will be a 360 price drop this year. The billion dollar set-back will be written off and business as usual will be conducted. It's an unexpected loss, and it will be accounted for just the same.

Microsoft can't afford to let the 360 slip anymore in momentum. Even though they have some heavy hitters coming out this fall, I don't think its enough to spark interest in a console that's nearly 2 years old for its original price.

They're waiting for Sony to act first. Until Sony drops prices I don't think they will either.
Quote:
3) RPGs for the 360: Enchanted Arms, Oblivion, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, Fable 2, Culdcept Saga, Phantasy Star Universe, Final Fantasy XI, The Last Remant, Infinite Undiscovery, Cry-On (may be adventure, coming from Mistwalker), Blue Dragon 2, TBA Mistwalker MMO, and some lesser known RPGs as well.

As for the moment, there are more announced 360 RPGs than the PS3. I read that there are quite a few unannounced PS3 games to be unveiled shortly, so things may turn around.

EDIT: DJ, you forgot about White Knight Story for the PS3. It's going to be amazing.

Does Fable 2 count too?

Anyway, how many of those is MS paying the developers to make for their systems...

Seriously, it is kind of odd how many Japanese RPGs there are on the 360 while the system is failing there just as badly as the Xbox did and the Xbox had all of nothing JRPG-wise... RPGs always take a while to develop so they usually don't come out in a console's first year (with certain exceptions), so it'll be very interesting to see how JRPG developers deal with the currently unfolding sales situation.
Quote:
The PS3 isn't exactly a hot commodity in Japan, either. If anything, developers will choose Wii, and reports lately have indicated there has been a shift of development resources to Nintendo's side.

Yes, but will those be their RPGs or will they be minigame collections and Brain Training ripoffs?
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
Sun, July 8th, 2007   #45
Great Rumbler

The Wii is already getting Dragon Quest Swords and FF: Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers, both of which look quite excellent. Also, there's Opoona, which is so bizarre that it's probably the best game ever.

Read my web log.
Sun, July 8th, 2007   #46
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

Swords really isn't an RPG at all, though, and FFCC... we'll see. Opoona? I know I've heard the name, but forget what it is...
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
Mon, July 9th, 2007   #47
Paco
rhymes with taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
Yes, of course games across all genres are available. But the FPSes dominate attention-wise, dominate ratings-wise as you say, and are the clear focus of attention. Could a gamer buy an X360, buy no FPSes for it, and really be happy with their decision? Maybe, but so many of the top games are FPSes...
When I get one the only FPS I can think of that I want is Halo 3. Other games will be the rpgs, banjo, viva pinata, mass effect, too human, and so on.
Quote:

As for your last point, I think that part of the problem is public perception -- as I said that "Xbox just has FPSes" like "Nintendo games are for children". Of course there is a variety of stuff available... but a lot of the games that draw the most attention, and sales, fall right into that stereotype, and it continues on. MS seems to be doing even less to fight their "FPS/hardcore gamer" stereotype than Nintendo has done for most of the time since they were marked as "kiddy". I mean, they have done a few games that could have pushed the X360, like Viva Pinata and stuff, but they didn't really try very hard... combine that with the EXTREMELY mass-market unfriendly price that MS is unwilling to drop and you get the picture of a company that doesn't mind the fact that their console is mainly aimed at a limited audience. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get...

Remember, perceptions are most important. Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil did nothing to change "Nintendo=kiddy" and did nothing to get more mature games on the system.
I agree. I'm just pointing out the facts.
Quote:
They're waiting for Sony to act first. Until Sony drops prices I don't think they will either.
Sony kind of just did.

Quote:
Does Fable 2 count too?

Anyway, how many of those is MS paying the developers to make for their systems...

Seriously, it is kind of odd how many Japanese RPGs there are on the 360 while the system is failing there just as badly as the Xbox did and the Xbox had all of nothing JRPG-wise... RPGs always take a while to develop so they usually don't come out in a console's first year (with certain exceptions), so it'll be very interesting to see how JRPG developers deal with the currently unfolding sales situation.
I think so, it has stat building. RPG Adventure if you want to further specify.

Microsoft is bankrolling: Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, and Fable 2 for sure. It could probably be safely assumed they'll finance Blue Dragon 2 and the Mistwalker MMO as well, so MS is paying for 6 out of 14 known RPGs.

It's been an on-going trend over the last two years that Japanese developers are beginning to think of the video game market globally. They stand to make far more sales by including the U.S. and Europe in their audience.

My TeamXbox Base Page
Mon, July 9th, 2007   #48
Great Rumbler

Quote:
Swords really isn't an RPG at all

It is an RPG, very much so. Now, that doesn't mean that it's a CONVENTIONAL RPG by any means, but it is an RPG.
Quote:
Opoona? I know I've heard the name, but forget what it is...

An awesome game is what it is.

You're always like this, ABF. You make some blanket statement about something, I provide evidence that you're wrong and then you just blow it off and go on like nothing ever happened. The Wii IS getting RPGs and if the RPGs it's getting sell well, and indications show that hype is already building for Dragon Quest Swords, then the Wii will get MORE RPGs. It's pretty simple really.

Read my web log.
Tue, July 10th, 2007   #49
Smoke
Vault Dweller

Send a message via MSN to Smoke

My opinion of Xbox 360 versus Playstation 3 has shifted ever so slightly since I last posted in this thread.

Fuck Sony.

I'm getting a 360 as soon as they fix the RRoD problem.
Tue, July 10th, 2007   #50
Smoke
Vault Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Rumbler
It is an RPG, very much so. Now, that doesn't mean that it's a CONVENTIONAL RPG by any means, but it is an RPG.
Anything that doesn't play like Fallout isn't an RPG. NMA and RPG Codex told me so.
Tue, July 10th, 2007   #51
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

I can say that my 360 has functioned fine since I got it, and they seem to have a warrentee thing going now for up to three years.

My friend's needed to get replaced though. I'd like actual numbers instead of anecdote, but the closest I can get is from a repair company in Europe that says they are very high rates indeed. That'll have to do. I will add that with the numbers that repair place is reporting, yes the rate of failure is inexcusable. Not sure what happened there or why it's taken such a long time to fix but at the rate MS is sending out replacement 360s this can't be cheap on their end. Again, this is based on numbers from a repair company in europe that are refusing to take any more. MS won't give out their failure rates as they don't see it as advantageous to them. This means one of two things. Either no one there sees an advantage in posting an extremely low failure rate number (I sure can), or it's a high enough number that it would hurt their image to release it. I doubt it's the former.
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
Tue, July 10th, 2007   #52
Smoke
Vault Dweller

The estimates I've heard are in the 25% - 33% range.
Tue, July 10th, 2007   #53
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

What matters is where those numbers are coming from.
Wed, July 11th, 2007   #54
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco
Sony kind of just did.

By adding another $600 model on top, though, they just shuffled the prices... the old $500 model is gone, the $600 model is $500, and there's a new $600 model. While technically prices on each model did go down, the prices are still $500 and $600... exactly as they were before.
Quote:
When I get one the only FPS I can think of that I want is Halo 3. Other games will be the rpgs, banjo, viva pinata, mass effect, too human, and so on.
Quote:
I agree. I'm just pointing out the facts.

Yes, of course you're pretty much right. If I got a 360 I can't imagine getting many FPSes and I'm sure I'd find stuff to get... really, the biggest problem there is that half of the best games (including almost all of the FPSes) are also available on the PC, and the PC versions are better. But still, the focus of attention and press and reviews (as you said, the top quality games...) on the FPSes means a lot both quality-wise and game selection wise. The 360 will have many, MANY more FPSes.
Quote:
I think so, it has stat building. RPG Adventure if you want to further specify.

Microsoft is bankrolling: Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, and Fable 2 for sure. It could probably be safely assumed they'll finance Blue Dragon 2 and the Mistwalker MMO as well, so MS is paying for 6 out of 14 known RPGs.

It's been an on-going trend over the last two years that Japanese developers are beginning to think of the video game market globally. They stand to make far more sales by including the U.S. and Europe in their audience.

True, and that, along with MS'es money, is obviously why the 360 has Japanese RPGs. Still, most Japanese developers do the same thing as developers here and focus on platforms popular in their region.
Quote:

But don't you slash on the screen to attack and stuff? How much is there to the game? I don't know all that much about it really, but it doesn't sound that complex... or interesting...

FFCC Wii has promise, though.
Quote:
An awesome game is what it is.

Oh yeah that really helps remind me what it is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke
Anything that doesn't play like Fallout isn't an RPG. NMA and RPG Codex told me so.

Hah...

The RPG genre's definition is definitely ridiculously broad, but I'd make it a little wider than that...

(though by Fallout standards Fallout 3 sure doesn't look like an RPG, not that I expected anything different)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Jaguar
What matters is where those numbers are coming from.

A lot of sources, I think...
Wed, July 11th, 2007   #55
Paco
rhymes with taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
The 360 will have many, MANY more FPSes.
I don't think the FPS will outweigh the other genres. If anything, action games will remain the biggest genre available on the 360. It's a broad term, sure, but FPS is not included in it.

I really don't care to guess any further. I've already pointed out the current facts.

My TeamXbox Base Page
Wed, July 11th, 2007   #56
lazyfatbum
Sennin

Dee.

Nye.

All.

Really though its not a bad thing that the system is an FPS machine. Look at Bioshock, i'd almost say it has more hype than Halo 3 and could definitely push sales of the console. But be real though, its a western system supported almost entirely of western developers. It's going to have a heavy lean towards FPS no matter how many Blue Dragons hit the shelves. BD wont be a system seller in America either, no matter how awesome it most likely is. Not only do you have to take the market in to consideration but also the demographic of the type of people who got the 360 - sports games and FPS are what they want.

And what does the Wii lack right now? A really GOOD multiplayer FPS. Be happy that 360 is standing by with the goods... dont try to turn it in to something its not. It will never be a family system or something for the casual, it's the hardcore platform for FPS and other shooters. Maybe by this time next year or a year after it'll have the genre-o-matic surplus like PS2 but right now its not there. Even the highly original Viva Pinata failed to grab people's attention which is sad... it again told developers dont try anything new, pump out another roster and more effects in the explosions... it would have done hundreds of times better on Wii.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: