Tendo City:  The Cake Is A Lie!  

Go Back  Tendo City: The Cake Is A Lie! > Tendo City: Metropolitan District > Tendo City

2 Days Ago   #1
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Default Nintendo's latest spin on hard drives...

Quote:
...the way that we look at it is, we really don't want people storing every single game they buy on their drive. When you buy a game, it's yours forever, so you can delete it, and go back and get it at any time you want. In a way, we liken it to putting music on your iPod; you listen to it for a while, and then you get tired of it, and you pull it off, and you put some new stuff on.

...what? Seriously? Every single sentence here is WRONG! You say you don't want people storing "every single game they buy" on the hard disk? You can't be serious. What, you want people to have to clear space and redownload games over and over again? You actually WANT that? That's stupid. And, besides that, since when is it your frickin' choice? The reality is it's just a physical limitation and now you're just trying to paint it into being a positive thing, but there's really no possible way to do that so your attempt just comes off insulting to our intelligence.

Oh by the way. No one I know who has an iPod has ever deleted any songs from one, like ever.
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
2 Days Ago   #2
Great Rumbler
Tendocity's Resident Accountant and Amateur Writer

Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler

Get an SD card.

Read my web log.
2 Days Ago   #3
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Oh please. First off, I have one. Second off, those things only go up to 4 gigs, not nearly enough, and those things are EXPENSIVE, on a meg per meg cost ratio to hard disks. Thirdly, I CAN'T PLAY MY DOWNLOADED GAMES OFF THE MEMORY CARD. I still need to delete space on the Wii and move the file over.

That is not a solution.
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
2 Days Ago   #4
Great Rumbler

But you don't have to download everything over and over again.

And how is 4 gigs not enough for the Wii? I've got about ten VC games and I still have a bunch of space left on the Wii's internal 512MB.

Read my web log.
2 Days Ago   #5
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

I'm talking about the upcoming games, including "Wii Ware" games. And yes, once I hit that memory cap, I will in fact have to delete games to make room for new games, and that means redownloading those games when I want to play them later.

Do you honestly expect me to shell out that kind of money for a 4 gig card when the same amount can net me a LOT more gigs in hard disk space? That's just throwing away money.

What I'm saying is this. They need to add hard disk support. I don't really even care if they make their own hard disk. They can do this in software. Just add support for USB hard disks and I'll take care of the rest. I mean I HAVE 30 gigs just sitting here, and an enclosure kit waiting to be put to use. I've got one for desktop IDE, and one for laptop IDE, and I'm sure there's enclosure kits for both sizes of SATA drives too. Nintendo doesn't have to do anything except add that support.
2 Days Ago   #6
hephaestus
Tendite

Compression technology is growing.

LOL

...LOL
2 Days Ago   #7
hephaestus
Tendite

*ACTUALLY LAUGHING*
2 Days Ago   #8
Great Rumbler

WiiWare games aren't going to be much more than 50MB, which means you could fit up to 80 of them on a 4GB SD card. And most of them probably won't be anywhere near that size.

Read my web log.
2 Days Ago   #9
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

So you say, and like MS that limit might work... for now. But, eventually enough people will want to go past it that Nintendo will have to remove that limit. That also doesn't cover various CD based games. There's only so much one can compress that stuff, and some of it will likely be of the "lossy" variety. How lossy? Well, hopefully not as much as RE2 on the N64.

Besides, you still can't play those games off a card anyway, another failing. Annoying data management commences. Oh, another failing they need to fix. There's already more games than available "channel slots" in the Wii interface. First off, that interface needs to be reworked to allow "folders". I don't care if old people find folders "confusing" or whatever PR is telling Nintendo right now, I'd think putting all games in folders makes things a lot cleaner, plus they can increase the limit. Namely, try to make it as big as the maximum number of files their file system can recognize. Just don't show "empty" windows of that stuff. It's simple. Expand with more windows as more channels appear that actually need said windows.

What I'm saying is this. I know what's better for Nintendo's interface than they do. They have given me no reason to think otherwise.
2 Days Ago   #10
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

The only stupider thing I've heard Nintendo say in recent memory is that people don't mind friends codes. Other than that though, this is a mind-numbingly stupid thing to say, for very obvious reasons... you've got what, 300MB of free space on a Wii? That's nothing with all of the huge games coming out these days... Neo Geo, Turbo CD (how much space exactly does Gate of Thunder take up? I know it'd be worth every bit of it given how awesome the game is, but how much space does it take up?), WiiWare... saying "just delete stuff" is utterly ridiculous.

The only real hope is that since this is NOA saying this stuff, and NOA makes no actual decisions, it doesn't mean THAT much except that NCL hasn't told NOA that they're changing the policy yet. When or if it ever does change, we'll hear about it from NCL, not NOA.
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
2 Days Ago   #11
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

To be accurate, and if you're going to make a point it's best to do it with the most accurate info you can get, it's 512 MB.

You do have a point though, and further, Nintendo can and has done complete about-faces on previous "opinions". They used to say things like "I don't think people really care that much about online play". That changed.

The only issue I have is how long it takes for Nintendo to change their mind. It isn't flip-flopping if you have valid reasons to change your mind!
2 Days Ago   #12
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

Quote:
To be accurate, and if you're going to make a point it's best to do it with the most accurate info you can get, it's 512 MB.

No, I meant the amount of that 512MB you can use. It's somewhere around 300MB, I think...
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: