Tendo City:  Let's sit down and discuss this irrationally!  

Go Back  Tendo City: Let's sit down and discuss this irrationally! > Tendo City: Metropolitan District > Tendo City

Sun, March 1st, 2009   #1
lazyfatbum
Synomatic

Default Silent Hill Remake on Wii

http://www.climaxgroup.com/

The dev, with Konami being the publisher. Do they sound familiar? They should. They made the candied anal fisting that is Origins and that Homecoming bag of retarded ostriches. However and repeated just for fun, this is a remake of the original Silent Hill which has only seen light on the original PSX. Looks like it's getting released for PSP too... not that anyone will care.

But remaking a game that actually NEEDS remake sounds like win. Plus it's Silent Hill and this will mark the first time a Silent Hill game has ever graced a Nintendo console - ever. How poignant that it's a remake. But again, the first one is still arguably the best. Hmm, not just waggle, I can see full pointing with the flashlight and guns obviously (RE4 style?), maybe a 1st to 3rd person camera switch, too. The puzzles could be updated and simply have more added that take advantage of the new controls. Wow, I just creep'd myself out imagining holding the wiimote as the flashlight looking down a hallway with full volumetric froggyness, then holding your hand over the end of the wiimote to block the 'light' (turning the flashlight off) and removing your hand to turn it back on. Probly wont happen but hey, goosebumps anyway. What's that Pyramid Head? "Rape Rape Rape Rape Rape"?? Oh, you.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/02/26/rum...remake-for-wii/

--

Update:

- No Combat. You run, hide, get chased and pee. This also means you have a new chase cam to look behind you and new gameplay that has Harry hopping fences, barging through doors and jumping out windows.

- The story, enemies and characters are now Momento'd with things happening out of sync to purposefully confuse the player (and vets of the first game).

- Dynamic gameplay includes meeting characters and certain enemies (DUR HUR WHICH ENEMIES I WONDER) depending on your play style, current situation (such as your health) and your location. Meraning theoretically, nurses, Pyramid and apes could appear at new locations every time you play. And that you'll hook up with other characters to activate new areas or perhaps just learn more of the story. Your decisions will change the outcome.

- You can barricade doors RE4 style.

- The flashlight is moved using the wiimote, while moving Harry is done by the control stick. (nur)

- All the doors of every building can be explored.

- Puzzles will take advantage of the wiimote, there will also be less backtracking.

- In Silent Hill games, the town always gets inside the protagonist’s head,” say Hulett. “But now, it’s getting inside YOUR head.”

Eternal what?

I want this now.

Last edited by lazyfatbum : 1 Week Ago at 08:21 PM.
Mon, March 2nd, 2009   #2
Weltall
born again after eating 1-up shrooms

There was that Silent Hill Play Novel on the GBA. But it was never translated and the story is not even close to canon within the series anyway.

I've had Silent Hill/Nintendo teases before, but this would definitely be enough to get me to splurge on a Wii, finally. Unfortunately, this looks way too vague for me to think there's a shred of truth to it.

HITLER '32
Change we can believe in
Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei
Abstimmung Hitler für Reichskanzler
Mon, March 2nd, 2009   #3
lazyfatbum
Synomatic

True, but if you click the first link (the developer's website) it says they're making a game on Wii and PSP published by Konami. The developer (Climax) is responsible for the past few Silent Hill games.
Wed, March 4th, 2009   #4
Sacred Jellybean
False Prophet

This is awesome if true, I hope they get creative with the game mechanics and the wiimotes. The first Silent Hill creeped the hell out of me when I first played it. I'd like to see them add a riddle difficulty level as well.
Wed, March 4th, 2009   #5
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

"Hey get back here! We just crashed our car and why are you running away?" *Opens gate* ".........WHAT THE HELL MAN? WHAT THE HELL!"
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
4 Weeks Ago   #6
Weltall

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyfatbum
The developer (Climax) is responsible for the past few Silent Hill games.
I like how you say this, because it can be construed as though you're saying that Climax is to blame for the last two Silent Hill games.

I didn't play Homecoming, lacking a PS3 as I do, but I have played Origins. Not only is Origins a terrible game with broken gameplay and stupid concepts, but it also contradicts at several junctures what had previously been an airtight continuity, the latter transgression being entirely unforgivable in my opinion. And for fuck's sake, can we not feature the cult anymore? Silent Hill 2 had nothing to do with The Order and it was by far the apex of the whole series.

If Climax is remaking the original game, I'm going to hope for the best and expect the worst. If only Team Silent would reconvene and save us all.

HITLER '32
Change we can believe in
4 Weeks Ago   #7
lazyfatbum
Synomatic

That's like the Chrono Trigger team getting together and making a freakin Xbox game wi... wait.

Its a remake, all they have to do is use more polys and higher resolution textures. Make use of the wiimote and not, under any circumstances, harm the story for any reason. And presto: Pantsripping erections for all.
4 Weeks Ago   #8
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Blue Dragon is awesome. That is all.
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
4 Weeks Ago   #9
lazyfatbum
Synomatic

That was why I... made the reference... to... nvm

Silent Hill Remake, meet Capcom's megaton.

http://www.tcforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5391
1 Week Ago   #10
Great Rumbler
Uses sarcasm to mask deep, personal issues

Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler

Lazy was right!!
1 Week Ago   #11
lazyfatbum
Synomatic

Oh snap, it's not a port, not a remake. It's a reimagining. This could get be really, really good.

It's not a joke, it's from the May edition of Nintendo Power. Prepare for the omgz: There's no combat.

From NP: Once the monsters see you, the chase is on. “Holding Z button makes Harry get the lead out, and during the getaway, you can barge through doors, climb over fences, jump through windows, and so on. You can even barricade doors behind you with a bookshelf or whatever else might be handy. The static gets louder as the monsters close in, and while Harry is running, you can look back over his shoulder. Watching these abominations leap over cars and crawl along the rooftops as they relentlessly pursue our hero and had us on the edge of our seats.” “To be clear, these chase sequences aren’t quick-time events; you have full control over Harry and can choose whichever path you see fit to his destination.” “The monsters will take alternate routes to try to cut you off, and they’ll use their numbers to flank you whenever possible."

They need to make a preorder bonus of adult diapers.

KOTAKU:

The newest issue of Nintendo Power features details and first screens of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, the Wii-bound "re-imagining" of the original Silent Hill for the PlayStation. Konami says it's far more than a remake.

According to details culled from the new issue, via GoNintendo, producer Tomm Hulett says that the Wii game won't necessarily play out story-wise like the original, but will be "twisted to betray your expectations," with Shattered Memories modifying the game's structure based on your decisions.

"The characters play different roles, things don't necessarily happen in the same order, and the story is taken in lots of new directions," Hulett says, noting that you'll still play as protagonist Harry Mason and will run into familiar characters from the first Silent Hill.

Another major change, according to the report, is that there will be no permanently locked doors. That means no obsessive checking of every single door knob in the game, apparently. As you might expect, the Wii version of Silent Hill takes advantage of the console's motion controller in unspecified ways.

Guess that confirms that rumor of the game's development on the Wii. Now what about that PSP remake?

---

Go Nintendo: (original breaker of the story)

“The characters play different roles, things don’t necessarily happen in the same order, and the story is taken in lots of new directions. You still play as Harry Mason, you’re still looking for your daughter, and you’ll see familiar elements, but they’re all twisted to betray your expectations.”

“One of Shattered Memories’ most significant and intriguing additions—your answers actually affect how the game unfolds. And it doesn’t end there. the game “watches” you constantly, and your behavior throughout can determine when you’ll meet certain characters, which scenes you’ll witness, and a variety of other factors.” “In Silent Hill games, the town always gets inside the protagonist’s head,” say Hulett. “But now, it’s getting inside YOUR head.”

“We’re using the Wii Remote to interact directly with the environment, so the puzzles are all based around that idea,” says Hulett. “You’re not just hitting buttons to choose things.” He also notes that the solution to a puzzle is always in the immediate vicinity, and assures us there’s a lot less backtracking then in previous games.”

“Longtime fans of the series will also be delighted to learn that there’s a way through every locked door; no more checking dozens of entrances only to find that 90% of them are permanently barred shut.”

---

lmfao, this. THIS is how you Wiimake. And the graphics are great, i'd say we're looking at RE4 with more dynamic lighting and more on screen. But obviously we need directfeed shots and not scans. But this gives an idea:
Attached Images      
1 Week Ago   #12
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

I'll wait a day and then comment.
1 Week Ago   #13
Great Rumbler
Uses sarcasm to mask deep, personal issues

Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler

Quote:
I'll wait a day and then comment.

Okay, it's April 2nd now.
1 Week Ago   #14
lazyfatbum
Synomatic

1 Week Ago   #15
lazyfatbum
Synomatic

I'm not sure how to feel about the 'story presented differently' aspect. It's the same story, I hope the dialogue is better. But this new aspect could have the potential to ruin the entire game. They better have a solid understanding of the concepts at large, including the hidden meanings and representations of memories, fears and ideas.

Here's hoping for some new monsters or past monsters updated. Hearing about them leaping and chasing oer cars, seeing them jump rooftop to rooftop, etc tells me they're a thousand times more relentless... I hope you can still use the fog to your advantage to sneak up or stay out of view.
1 Week Ago   #16
lazyfatbum
Synomatic

...I just got the "Shattered Memories" part...
1 Week Ago   #17
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Well it all seems legit.

Alright then, I'll say this. The idea sounds pretty good, but I still hope you can try to fight them off, even if combat is merely used to give you some time.

So escape scenario alpha, you're in that inn by the lake. You're in one of the rooms when you hear horrible squishy "talking" below. As you hear them rush to your door, you lock it (having earlier noticed the lock was broken you have fixed it in advance). Suddenly you hear banging on it, and so you push a nearby cabinet in front of it. Quickly you notice all the inn rooms are connected through adjascent doorways. You lock one of them when you hear them go to a room down the hall. You then shove a bed in front of that one. You quickly look outside and notice a nearby roof you can jump to, but only a few rooms down, so you rush quickly from room to room locking doors until you reach the one with a window near enough to make the jump. However, it's still a bit too far. You tear down the curtains and toss one end with the support bar out the window to connect to the gutter across the jump and tie one side down on your end. Sliding down, you manage to work your way from this building to ground just in time to hear an alarm go off. Now you're in for it...

Yeah, they could totally rip off Shadow over Innsmouth with this one, and it would be awesome.
6 Days Ago   #18
Weltall

I'm afraid as much as I'm excited.

I'm excited because I've favored a remake of the original Silent Hill for several years.

I'm terrified that it will turn the entire series continuity on its head and invalidate so many of the series' established tenets... the reason above all others that I love Silent Hill as much as I do.

HITLER '32
Change we can believe in
6 Days Ago   #19
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Well you have to remember that the vast majority of what fans call series continuity is all subjective interpretation of the psychological meaning of various things.

What we know: there's an evil cult in a town called Silent Hill that is trying to summon their dark god. They burned some poor girl who possessed another little girl, or reincarnated, or something, and the father had to get her back and prevent the resurrection of ol' Sammy. Then some other guy shows up looking for his dead wife and after meeting some incarnation testing what he really wants in a woman realizes he's judging himself for killing her, which is a fact that apparently slipped his mind. Then he forgives himself after a heavy metal version of his wife floats around upside down trying to stab him. Then, we find out about that daugher being impregnated with something really gross, like most fetuses, but this one never gets pretty. And, then some guy gets stuck in his apartment and has to kill some supernatural serial killer who's convinced that guy's apartment is his mother... something which insanity alone doesn't really help to explain. Never played 5.

Beyond that, it's all interpretation.
6 Days Ago   #20
lazyfatbum
Synomatic

Sir, you are joking.

SH1 is about a man who has lost his daughter after a car accident.

Except his daughter isn't his birth daughter, he adopted her.

He learns that his daughter has a twin and even finds her birth mother. His adopted daughter was a girl who was birthed in to this world with no father to a virgin mother in a similar fashion to Moses or Jesus Christ. the twin is found but his daughter cannot be uncovered in the bizarre town that occasionally dips in to a surreal hell. The twin, only found in flashes and leaving clues is the exact opposite of your daughter mentally.

A strange cult some odd years ago felt that the child, birthed by the virgin mother was evil, they tried to kill her through purification. Burning the little girl as a witch.

But she wouldn't die.. just char and scream in agony. There was a fire in the town...

Did I mention the town is the same place that rituals and the occult have been used for over 150 years and was a prime location of bizarre torture during the civil war which has created a kind of severing gash in the places between realities and the afterlife? This is implied, not directly mentioned. Moving on.

The cult is still around in this Silent Hill where the world ends at its edges. It's quite literally a limbo, a real ghost town where time has frozen as the real Silent Hill is just an abandoned and burned ruin. This place cant end and reality cant be found until that strange girl, who's now almost 30 has both her 'pieces' brought back to her and her 'murder' avenged. Your adopted daughter and the twin; This woman, still in the basement of the hospital, still bleeding, was able to keep the limbo going and bring anguish and personal hell in to the lives of anyone responsible, or anyone indirectly tied to Silent Hill. Her body broken and destroyed, she was able to find access in to the world again with a body but her anguish had turned her insane, but her purity couldn't be denied. It formed two people, her light and dark halves. One would stay in the real world, adopted by Harry. The other would stay in Silent Hill. The cult wants to keep her from collecting her missing 'pieces' but when it finally does happen, the limbo ends.

A new baby is born, a collection of all 3 ladies. The messiah who was originally destroyed at the hands of man has a new chance again. Harry scoops up the baby and raises it as his own.

Some things to consider is that near the end of the story, we discover drawings of that 30 year old woman when she was a child. In the drawings, we learn that she was afraid of the nurses that cared for her (and despised their beauty). Gorillas, dogs and even dinosaurs on some pages with teeth bared. The enemies you faced in the game were all from a little girl's imagination of the things she feared and hated. That's from the game, not implied. Pyramid Head, i'm unsure. He could be the protector, he could be something the mother created from her mind and he could just be a leftover from the scars on Silent Hill left to wonder its limbo aimlessly. Maybe our resident SH guru can help us with that one.

The other things Weltall is mentioning is the beauty in the implied and the result of good writing. The constantly falling ash, the police officer's role, the camera angles and the strange 'Christ-like' figure who warns you. The burned corpses of children who stalk you in the school's halls and the myriad of absolutely stunning and bizarre puzzles that test your IQ and play directly to the temperment of the story and its characters.

Ruin those things in this venture and he's right... all is lost. One slip of continuity and you stab the heart of your entire installed base.
3 Days Ago   #21
Weltall

Pyramid Head, originally, was not at all related to anything Alessa thought about. This has changed in later games (which have started to take Pyramid Head and pimp the living shit out of him).

I spoil a lot of Silent Hill 2 from here on.

HITLER '32
Change we can believe in
12 Hours Ago   #22
lazyfatbum
Synomatic

THEORY TIEM

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: