Go Back  Tendo City: Deck the Halls, Figgy Pudding, and please Jingle my Bells, okay? > Tendo City: Metropolitan District > Tendo City
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search New Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed, February 4th, 2004
Circumcision of the mind

Posts: 2,439 alien space marine is on a distinguished road
Default Nintendo next console images

Living on the Dark Side of the Moon

Posts: 12,612 Great Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among men
Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler

Currently playing: Metroid Prime 2 [GC], Super Mario 64 DS [DS], Metal Gear Solid 2 [PS2], Earthbound [SNES]

I am the King of Rumbling!! Bow before my Rumbliness!

Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

What he said.
Last Post King

Posts: 25,233 OB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among men

Woo Bo Jackson!!

Dear God...it's BACK!

Send a message via AIM to EdenMaster Send a message via MSN to EdenMaster

*attempts to find some semblance of anything humorous*

*fails*

It's kind of sad that when I see an ASM thread, I already know that it's going to be some sort of bad joke. Some sort of very bad joke.

Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

He has a pattern.
STAND STILL LADDIE!

All part of his weirdo ASM charm.

Posts: 12,612 Great Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among menGreat Rumbler is a God among men

I suppose so.
Currently playing: Metroid Prime 2 [GC], Super Mario 64 DS [DS], Metal Gear Solid 2 [PS2], Earthbound [SNES]

Old Thu, February 5th, 2004
Howdy Ho and Merry Christmas!

Send a message via AIM to Geno Send a message via MSN to Geno Send a message via Yahoo to Geno

................................w3rd.

Indeed.

I can freak & flow at the same time!

It's Nintendo's answer to that humungo controller for the Xbox that came with Steel Batallion.
Last Post King

Posts: 25,233 OB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among menOB1 is a God among men

Wait so you only win one song per soda?

Defender of the Realm

Yes, it's like those free soda things but with free songs instead of free soda...
Last Post King

I guess that's kinda cool...

Defender of the Realm

Doesn't help me though, because it doesn't support WinME... or 98 (which is on all our comps at home), or 95, for that matter...
Last Post King

itunes is great.

Defender of the Realm

They're alienating a LOT of people by not supporting 98 and ME...
Last Post King

Maybe if you cry some more it'll change.

Apple has a habit of not supporting older software, even on the Mac. So I guess if you win, you can always pass your code my way.
Last Post King

ABF is behind the times.

Circumcision of the mind

Posts: 2,439 alien space marine is on a distinguished road

Win95 is retired and nobody supports it anymore.
M.E was a flop.

WinME wasn't a flop in Microsoft's point of view. It was a quick money grab before XP came out. No real extensive development went into ME so it didn't cost much to produce. And then companies like Dell, HP, Emachines, etc. installed WinME on new systems of the time simply because it was the latest and greatest. And poor misinformed folks upgraded to it for the very same reason.
Howdy Ho and Merry Christmas!

Send a message via AIM to Geno Send a message via MSN to Geno Send a message via Yahoo to Geno

I still use ME and my computer's just fi--GODDAMMIT, STOP IT WITH THE DAMN ILLEGAL OPERATION WINDOWS!!!!!!!!!! ^%@%$#@%$@%$@%$@%$#@ I DON'T HAVE ANY WINDOWS OPEN EXCEPT THIS ONE OPEN, I SHOULDN'T GET POPUPS--ENOUGH OF YOUR *%^*^%*^$&^%#$^$#^%(^& ERROR MESSAGES, I ALREADY HAVE THE LATEST VERSION OF INTERNET EXPLORER!

*ahem* As I was saying, I use Windows ME and don't have a problem in the world. YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE A *&$&^$^%$#$ POPUP KILLER GODDAMN YOU!
Resident Schizophrenic

Posts: 13,663 Dark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among men

XP is a great system based on NT, which is FAR more stable than any 9x OS can hope to be. However, if one wants to retro game, 98 Second Edition is a must. ME is TERRIBLE because of what they did to it. They stripped it of it's auto-loading DOS components, thus meaning DOS is ALMOST completely gone from ME. One can still "cheat" and get DOS up and running via a boot disk, but the "new" version of DOS built into that startup disk is actually worse than the DOS included in 98. Why? It's got terrible game support. The ME DOS was made pretty much to get any utilities one needs to run running to fix any problems with ME. It wasn't made for gaming, and it shows. So, if you want to run a good chunk of old DOS games, you gotta have an old DOS compatible OS. Lots of people have older computers for this very reason, but I don't want to have to put together various stages of computing just to get all my games running. Others have what I have, a duel boot system. XP for everyday use, and 98SE for old games. Honestly, ME could have been a good system had they not felt the need to strip out all the DOS components. In fact, a LOT of the instability comes from this stripping (the OTHER half comes from the less than stellar version of system restore built into it, but that's another story, at least XP's system restore is VERY well done).

Anyway, ABF does need to eventually upgrade or even downgrade. ME is the worst OS one can use (except for the OS I made out of some of the more high tech leaves I found in the woods one day) for any purpose. From what I gather, he never got 98SE at any point, or the first 98. While SE is better due to USB support (and updated driver database, though that wouldn't matter with today's hardware ), 98 would do if he didn't have any USB devices. 95, any edition, would be terrible since 98 pretty much was made to make up for all the terrible glitches 95 was filled with.

As I think I said before, I have a duel boot system. It's a fairly good solution, though even it's not perfect as I'll explain. If ABF could get his hands on an old copy of 98SE and XP Prof (another thing to make clear, Proffesional is better than home edition, and the reason is due to the ridiculous copyright protection schemes that would force anyone with home to call MS constantly during a computer upgrade, or when XP needs to be reinstalled, or when a large game is installed, or when it feels like it, or when it TRIES to get you to call but instead the copyright scheme causes the system to crash). It's not that I don't give MS credit for trying to protect their copyrights, but rather that the METHOD they picked for home edition pretty much ends up screwing over the legitimate buyer while the one who steals a copy is likely just going to get Proffesional anyway. Problem is, unless you happen to be going to a college with some free software deal with MS, or work for a company that happens to have a deal itself with MS for free software Prof is about $100 more than Home.

Anyway, my duel boot works out pretty well MOST of the time. All the old windows 3.x games (tending to have their problems due to things like using DOS for sound (ala KQ6) and early non-directx Win95 games (the ones that all have problems in XP) work great in 98SE as they should. (Actually, those early 95 game's only issue in XP is the fact that the 640x480 compatibility option in XP doesn't work at ALL (though the 256 color depth option works fine.) so games either refuse to work at the normal resolution or are all shrunken in the smallest resolutiuon XP normally goes down to. Well, there is a way to force XP down to 640x480 256c via an option menu, but it's very awkward to get to and switch it on when I want to play it, though oddly enough resetting and selecting another OS doesn't seem to bother me that much. ) Most DOS games that wouldn't work before do work now too. However, the age of the games still shows even in this environment. Wing Commander 4 for instance crashes every time it gets to a movie file, so I can't get past the installation screen (the game starts out with an FMV). Kingdom O' Magic has an odd glitch in which all the pure black colored parts of the screen are instead a constant flash of random colors. Fortunatly, the game is still playable since little on the screen is pure black, but selecting conversation options is hard on the brain. Well, MOST games working is better than XP, where ONLY the most simple of games (for example, none can use the sound card) can be run.

While most games work fine, I'd really like to be able to play ALL my games without resorting to building an old computer specifically for them. The key is compatibility that works via directx so that hardware changes are irrelevent since all the commands are interpretted via the directx engine rather than direct access. I've tried one DOS emulator, but I can't find out how to turn off the controlled speed feature to get games running at "normal" speed. The slowdown feature in that one is nice on some occasions, but not all the time. Hopefully in the future a REALLY good DOS emulator that works via directx will come out and I'll be able to run whatever old DOS game I want without issue. The other issue is for MS to finally fix XP's compatibility options. A lot of stuff does indeed work as it should, but that resolution thing being completely non-functional is just bad design. On another note, for those old windows 3.x games that use DOS for some things like sound (KQ6 is the only one I can think of now) a decent DOS emulator should have a command line interface so one can setup a special shortcut for the emulator with a hyphen and then the directory of the windows program that needs that so the emulator will automatically start hidden in the background just before the game itself starts up and close itself when the game shuts down, thus allowing the game to use the emulator for whatever DOS functions it needs.
Defender of the Realm

"Need" to upgrade or downgrade. See, I knew ME was bad when I got it, but THIS bad? If I'd truly known I think I might have gone through the pain of installing Win98 on it... as I said we have Win98se from our previous computer at home. I've just never installed an OS before and didn't know if all the hardware would work... also, it's a major task and I just didn't think it was a good idea to try to do that. Installing OSes makes me hesitate especially if its removing the previous one too...

As for upgrading, no. I won't try. Not even remotely worth the effort. Anyway, from what I've seen of XP, I don't like the interface "improvements"... and I like DOS games working... though DOSBox and SCUMMVM mostly solve that problem, I'll admit. And having an OS that was actually stable and didn't constantly crash and mess up would be so, so nice... but still, it'd be installing a new OS. Not fun. And I'd have to reinstall EVERYTHING and I have so much installed... even if I take out my second HDD and use a new one or something to back up all the data from my current first drive (I do NOT trust MS to do something like a OS change without messing up and deleting data or the entire disc), I'd still have to reinstall all apps to get their reg keys in, and that would be a massive, massive task that I just don't want to do.

And anyway XP is pretty expensive and we don't have a copy. Unlike Win98 and below, when you buy a new computer now instead of actually giving you the OS they just give you a 'reinstall disk'... we got XP with my sister's laptop, but I'm pretty sure that I couldn't install it on my PC. And no way is it worth that kind of money. No, ME is what I have and ME is what I will have probably until I have to replace this computer.

Dual boot with our old copy of 98SE? But that'd take up a bunch of HDD space and I'd have to split it between the two... and if I was to do that I'd probably want to use 98SE for everything because ME has no advantages over it, but you can't downgrade... again, I'd need a blank 40+GB HDD to back up everything on my main partition...

Oh, and DOSBox has speed controls if that's what you tried. First get the latest version -- dosbox.sourceforge.net . Read documentation. I think it's CTRL-F11 and CTRL-F12 for increase and decrease clock cycles. Not all games work perfectly, but a lot do... oh, and for the DOS Lucasarts adventures (and some others), www.scummvm.com .

Now all we need is a DirectX5 (and below) emulator for DirectX9... I have a couple of old Win95 games (Pod and Ultim@te Race Pro for instance) that don't work in WinME (or, I'm sure, XP), and can't exactly be run in a DOS emulator... no way to play those except going to an old computer.

And as for those Sierra Win 3.1 games (or some others, like Interplay's Norse by Norsewest), they all have DOS versions I think. Use those. They run a lot better on a modern machine... well on mine anyway. For you you'd have to use DOSBox I guess. But I have KQ7 and the DOS one is definitely better than the Windows one.
Quote:
XP is a great system based on NT, which is FAR more stable than any 9x OS can hope to be. However, if one wants to retro game, 98 Second Edition is a must. ME is TERRIBLE because of what they did to it. They stripped it of it's auto-loading DOS components, thus meaning DOS is ALMOST completely gone from ME. One can still "cheat" and get DOS up and running via a boot disk, but the "new" version of DOS built into that startup disk is actually worse than the DOS included in 98. Why? It's got terrible game support. The ME DOS was made pretty much to get any utilities one needs to run running to fix any problems with ME. It wasn't made for gaming, and it shows.

I have a DOS boot disc for my ME, but I never got sound or the CD (well DVD...) working, so it's kind of pointless...

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: