Tendo City:  The Cake Is A Lie!  

Go Back  Tendo City: The Cake Is A Lie! > Tendo City: Residential District > SAVE TENDO CITY

Fri, March 11th, 2005   #41
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Nice dodge there, guy. Real smooth.
Fri, March 11th, 2005   #42
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

The main gameplay of Megal Gear Acid is a strategy game. All hands-on previews attest to this fact. Thus, naturally, the best comparisons would be other strategy games. Given the focus, it's clearly a small-unit tactics title. So other such games are the basis for comparison.

What is X-Com? Yes, half of the game -- the base management and world defence part -- is substantially different from anything in MGA or most other console tactical strategy games (just like how the story half of Metal Gear Acid is unique). But the other half -- on-the-ground combat missions -- is the part I had in mind. You go in with a small team (four, if I remember right). You carefully move them turn by turn and try not to draw enemy fire. You consider your options and give orders, turn by turn, based on what you think they could best accomplish with where they are or can get that turn and what they have equipped. And you get the baddies. What do you do in MG:A? You see a situation. You consider your moves list ("Cards"). You make a choice, or you sacrifice cards to be able to make a move (kind of like how if you move in X-Com your sacrifice time units, meaning you can shoot less once you stop). Then you move on to find the next enemies... hopefully before they find you. (cover is essential, in both games!)

The same? No, of course not. There are significant differences. But there are also enough similarities to definitelsy say that they are in the same genre and share clear common themes.
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #43
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Again, Tim Rogers knows more about this than you ever will. Your words mean nothing.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #44
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

You know essentially nothing about X-Com, so you have less than no justification to say anything about how the game relates to anything else...

And as for MG:A, how many playtests and import reviews do you need to prove that the GAMEPLAY is a strategy game? (Note I said gameplay, as in interaction -- not the story, which I'm sure is a huge part of the game given that it's a Metal Gear game)
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #45
OB1
off to parts unknown...

XCom is a turn-based strategy game. MGAcid is much more than that. Thus, you are an idiot.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #46
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Wow. You are unbelievable. Simply unbelievable. Time after time after time, you amaze me with your powers of ignorance and conviction... so wrong in so many ways so many times and so utterly impossible to show how even one tiny shred of your cloak of beliefs isn't true. It's depressing.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #47
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Boy you sure showed me.

*sarcastically claps for the retard*
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #48
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Get help. And I don't mean that as an insult.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #49
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Now you're repeating what I've said to you in the past.

Nice one again! *claps some more*
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #50
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

No, I was repeating what I have said to you in the past.

I actually AM getting help for my problems.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #51
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Well good for you. I hope it works.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #52
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Previews and import reviews make no impact on you, so we'll have to wait until it comes out... though I'd be absolutely shocked if you back down. Nope, you'll be right no matter HOW the game actually plays!

Anyone who wants to see logic distortion at work needs only to read this thread. You take a statement, drag it out of context, re-interpret it until it fits the definition you want it to, and present it as absolute gospel that overrides all other presented facts. And belittle anyone who gets in your way by presenting said 'facts' along the way.

Well done.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #53
OB1
off to parts unknown...

You're an idiot! Tim Rogers is THE authority on this subject, not you, not I.

Seriously, increase that "help", okay? You need it.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #54
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Uh, of course I'm not an authority on Megal Gear Acid, which is why I quoted previews...
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #55
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Previews from people that know less about the game than Tim Rogers does.

Thanks again for proving me right. You know, about you being a moron and everything.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #56
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

You're kind of like a cult leader, you know... one of those people who thinks God talks to them and tells them what to do and that they are Special? And who, as a result. knows that they are always right, and nothing anyone else can say to them would ever convince them? And whose best defence is usually "I'm right because I said so" or "I'm right ... well, because i'm right"?

Yeah, exactly like that. That's you. The truth is utterly irrelevant, and facts slip away like water when they hit your mental raincoat( / fact-blocking shield)...
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #57
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Yes that's exactly how it is.

Even though I've been saying this entire time that it's Tim Rogers who is right, not you or I. Because the man knows this shit much more than any of us do.

So it is you, my mentally-challenged friend, who is like the people you describe.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #58
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

My point is that you are relying on one specific way of explaining what he said. Not the ONLY way.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #59
OB1
off to parts unknown...

1) I know what kind of game it is.

2) I know how different most Japanese graphic adventure games are from American ones

3) Tim Rogers knows more about this subject than all of IGN and Gamespot put together.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #60
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

But if I'm talking about the strategic combat aspect of MG:A, does most of what you are talking about really matter that much? I know, the story/adventure/whatever you want to call it part is a huge part of the game, but so is the overworld part of X-Com and I ignored that too... in both cases I'm not talking about the whole game, I'm just talking about the strategic combat part! Which, no matter how ignorant they are on Japanese adventure games (and i'm sure IGN and Gamespot are), can definitely be judged by anyone who plays it.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #61
OB1
off to parts unknown...

So what you're saying is that the games are just like each other because parts of the games are similar.

Great ABF logic there, guy.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #62
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Cooresponding halves... it's not like I'm talking about a part that's 5% of the actual gameplay or something...
Sun, March 13th, 2005   #63
OB1
off to parts unknown...

You were the one who said that MG Acid could not live up to XCom defence, something so out of left-field and friggin weird and retarded that responding to it became an exercise in pathology.
Sun, March 13th, 2005   #64
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

It was a half-serious comment I made to do the 'I like PC games more than console games' thing! Now, it's probably true, but still... any definitive judgements (on comparitive quality) obviously can't be made until the game comes out...
Sun, March 13th, 2005   #65
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Well it was a retarded comment!
Sun, March 13th, 2005   #66
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Your reaction was no better...
Sun, March 13th, 2005   #67
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Yes, that is correct. My reaction equalled the retardedness of your comment, since that's really the only reaction one could make.
Sun, March 13th, 2005   #68
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Except it sure seems like you were completely serious.
Sun, March 13th, 2005   #69
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Yes, I was serious about how retarded your comment was.
Sun, March 13th, 2005   #70
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

In a large part because, as I said, you didn't really understand it...
Mon, March 14th, 2005   #71
OB1
off to parts unknown...

That sentence made no sense whatsoever.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: