Tendo City:  The Cake Is A Lie!  

Go Back  Tendo City: The Cake Is A Lie! > Tendo City: Metropolitan District > Multiconsole City

2 Weeks Ago   #1
Smoke
Vault Dweller

Send a message via MSN to Smoke
Exclamation Bungie and MS split coming?

Eat me.
2 Weeks Ago   #2
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

63 pages now...

Seriously though, whenever independent developers are bought by big companies, bad things almost inevitably eventually happen... I could list examples, but there are so many of them that it's not worth it. This does surprise me given how successful Bungie has been with MS, but if they don't want to just be "the Halo company" and MS does, I definitely could see that as being grounds for a split... developers often want to do more than their big corporate parents want them to. You'd think that with Bungie's level of success they'd have the freedom to do as they want no matter who owns them, Blizzard-style, but obviously not...
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
2 Weeks Ago   #3
Great Rumbler
Tendocity's Resident Accountant and Amateur Writer

Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler

Shocking, if true.

Read my web log.
2 Weeks Ago   #4
Sacred Jellybean
The Revolution is over, and Wii won.

There's no way Microsoft is letting go of that cash cow. They'd be all kinds of stupid to not compromise in some way - any way - whatever it takes to keep them on board. Maybe they could placate Bungie by letting them create a few different games before returning to Halo.
2 Weeks Ago   #5
Smoke
Vault Dweller

Send a message via MSN to Smoke

Or maybe MS thinks the Xbots will eat up anything with the word Halo in the title Bungie or no Bungie.
2 Weeks Ago   #6
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

Well, they do have Halo Wars coming... a console-specific RTS? There have been a few decent ones, but wouldn't Ensemble be better spent on PC games?
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
2 Weeks Ago   #7
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

If that games XBox exclusive and is any good, they better add mouse support.
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
2 Weeks Ago   #8
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

I chalk it up to a rumor.

And now, the luckiest grenade throw in the history of video games. Even if you don't play Halo, if you have any experience with FPS games you'll get what's going on here. The only note I need to add is these "plasma grenades" stick to whatever it hits, such as people.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/04/t...-grenade-throw/
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by Dark Jaguar : 2 Weeks Ago at 04:45 PM.
2 Weeks Ago   #9
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

That is lucky, isn't it...
1 Week Ago   #10
Paco
rhymes with taco

Send a message via MSN to Paco

It happened
Bungie is independant
Microsoft owns the Halo IP
Bungie still has a publishing deal with Microsoft
Microsoft gets rights of first refusal on future Bungie games and properties
Microsoft owns around 45% of Bungie

Effectively, it's the same as before.

My TeamXbox Base Page

Last edited by Paco : 1 Week Ago at 02:01 PM.
1 Week Ago   #11
Great Rumbler
Tendocity's Resident Accountant and Amateur Writer

Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler

Yeah...that's hardly independent.

Read my web log.
1 Week Ago   #12
Paco
rhymes with taco

Send a message via MSN to Paco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Rumbler
Yeah...that's hardly independent.
Yeah, but both parties got what they wanted in the end. Bungie gets their creative freedom and backing from a publishing giant, and Microsoft reaps the rewards of keeping an ace developer happy. As Bungie said, it really is a win-win situation.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft happy with multiplatform development. Ultimately, it would make Microsoft money seeing as how they'll get a return on whatever Bungie makes. Seeing as how they're having Rare develop DS games, I'm rather expecting it. An "independant" Bungie could potentially be worth far more than an internally-owned Bungie.

My TeamXbox Base Page
1 Week Ago   #13
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Yeah, MS still has a lot of power over Bungie, but not total control, so that is a difference... but as I said, this stuff always happens, one way or another. This is one of the less damaging such occurances I can think of, really. I mean, normally the way it goes is either 'the founders of the assimilated company quit in unhappiness over what has happened to their studio and subsequently the big company loses the studio's unique qualities' or 'the big company closes the studio, firing everyone'... Bungie was maybe heading towards the first of those (given how with their success the second wasn't exactly likely), but the managed to compromise and end up with this deal. And they still get the first chance at Bungie's games.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: