Tendo City:  The Cake Is A Lie!  

Go Back  Tendo City: The Cake Is A Lie! > Tendo City: Metropolitan District > Den of the Philociraptor

Mon, March 5th, 2007   #81
Ryan
Tyrone Slothrop, Esq.

Location: Got a hardon in your fist? Don't be pissed. Re-enlist!
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via MSN to Ryan

The funny thing is, I showed Toven a doctor's report that refuted much of his article, and listed dozens of sources for its information (his article listed none), and he dismissed the whole thing out of hand because "the scientists are all potheads", and states that "popular opinion is against pot, therefore it's correct".

The article is :
http://paranoia.lycaeum.org/marijua...logy.html#myth6

Toven couldn't hold his dick in a debate.
Tue, March 6th, 2007   #82
etoven
That's retarded at near genius levels!

Send a message via MSN to etoven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
The funny thing is, I showed Toven a doctor's report that refuted much of his article, and listed dozens of sources for its information (his article listed none), and he dismissed the whole thing out of hand because "the scientists are all potheads", and states that "popular opinion is against pot, therefore it's correct".

The article is :
http://paranoia.lycaeum.org/marijua...logy.html#myth6

Toven couldn't hold his dick in a debate.
Consequently some of the sources I looked up for this Ryan's called non biased article which was written by the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws who charges $2.95 a minute to call and voice your opinion via a 1 900 number.

One such source referenced:
  1. Herbert Moskowitz, Marihuana and Driving, Accident Analysis and Prevention 17#4: 323-45 (1985).
Who's experiments actually proved Marihuana hinders driving ability. And was miss represented and states that in his own report.
Viewable: [Here]

I think I hold my massively giant cock pretty well and your source is rapidly loosing credibility. And yes you so called scientists were all pot heads a pot head organization in fact.

"You are god to us dream characters. Some of us love you and some of us hate you, and some dream characters want to be left alone." Then he paused and he said "When you are awake, you are a dream character to God. You and everyone else are what God sees when he sleeps." ~ XGM

VILLAGE OF CLONES - Latest Film
(Watch Episode Today!) - (Visit Channel)

Latest Deivant Artwork
Broken Matrimony by ~etoven on deviantART

Tue, March 6th, 2007   #83
Sacred Jellybean
The Revolution is over, and Wii won.

etoven: I'll pick apart your post when I have more time, but I did a search on your source and found that it was marijuana-detox.com. On the right panel of your page, it has a quote by actress Kirstey Alley hawking Narconon, a drug rehabilitation center. That isn't exactly an unbiased source either.

I'll reply to the posts of you other respondents, too, again, when I'm not so busy.
Tue, March 6th, 2007   #84
Sacred Jellybean

Okay, looks like I have some spare time before class after all, so let the games continue!
Quote:
I hardly "run screaming in the other direction". Is that how you view people who are clean of the stuff, as a bunch of tightwads who don't know how to have a good time? In fact, in the one occasion I have been offered the stuff, I simply politely declined. I will add that the person who offered it was also polite and respected that.

Haha, of course not, I was just being hyperbolic. I don't view people who abstain as "tightwads" (I'm sure they have more reasons than financial to abstain ), just as people who have a different preference than me. I respect that choice.
Quote:
I actually don't smoke nicotine either, and it's beyond me why anyone who grew up in the era where pictures of horribly blackened lungs were routinely given to children as birthday presents would actually want to take up that habbit.

Stupidity is the reason. There's no excuse for trying and continuing to something you know is terrible for your body. And, second-hand smoke always smelled great. And, I thought it'd be a good social function, me being new to college and everything. Also, I find it relaxing to take a few minutes off from whatever I'm doing to stand outside and puff on something. And *Ted Raimi voice* "Because it's coooooooooool!"

(that's a reference from "Battle of the Planets" of Zim fame)
Quote:
I'm free to openly criticize your choice and say your "body policy" or whatever you call it is not very healthy. I mean it's still smoke we are talking about here. It can still cause lung cancer if nothing else, and it isn't nothing else, as it does cause memory issues.

Cannabis isn't proven to cause cancer. In fact, there was a slightly negative correlation of incidence of lung cancer when they compared those who smoke nothing and those who smoke only cannabis (and not cigarettes). It hasn't been proven to cause emphysema, either. However, cannabis smoke IS still irritating to the throat and can likely cause bronchitis. There are alternatives to smoking, of course - ingestion by cooking it by various means (brownies, cookies, tea, "cannabutter", hash oil, etc) and vaporization, mainly.
Quote:
But, your choice. You won't die from it, and the smoke is actually less likely to kill you than tobacco, so hey, you've got that going for you.

I sure do.
Quote:
Rest assured, Beanjo, that I will read your epic post in it's entirety when I have a day or so free.

However, I did read you responses to my post and, though I feel it unfair to use someones three-year-old words against them (pfft, what am I saying, in politics, that's nothing), I will say that my view on the use of marijuana has not changed much. I still have no desire to smoke it, nor will you change my mind, I'm afraid. I've no interest, so waste not your energy.

I figured some people's viewpoints would have at least softened. I won't hold those words against you, but it still felt good to type out.
Quote:
That being said, what has changed is my viewpoint on those who do choose to partake. I do not feel these people are less than me, stupid, or anything of the like I may have felt those years ago. I've grown more tolerant of others in my wise old age, and if that is how you choose to enjoy yourself then by all means enjoy, my views on your hobby are irrelevant, as yours may be to mine.

Good to hear. I don't care whether another person smokes or not, but it's the condescension by those who don't smoke that pushes my buttons.
Quote:
Let us agree to disagree, my friend. I still respect you as well .

diplomacy++; //Sounds good

(sigh, only from a bloody Computer Science major)
Quote:
Intelligent people can make bad choices, certainly, but it doesn't make the choices any less bad.

What makes those choices bad in the eyes of prohibitionists is misinformation about the substance in question. Of course, I ought to ask - are you another person in the boat that believes that cigarettes and alcohol should be illegal, too? Why is it a crime to alter one's perception, if he isn't harming anyone?
Quote:
As for the second paragraph... if it affects others (like secondhand cigarette smoke -- I should never have to smell that stuff and have it get in my system! Or even more obviously, drunk driving.) then it is wrong.

That's certainly your choice to make, but if pot were legalized, people wouldn't be walking down the street and smoking it (not ideally, anyway). There will still be public intoxication laws in place, and it would be similar to the fact that in many places, you aren't technically allowed to have alcohol out in the open.
Quote:
If you're only hurting yourself it is a somewhat less clear picture, but I do think society has a responsibility to keep people from hurting themselves too much, and this includes efforts like trying to get people off of drugs, suicide prevention efforts, etc. These are good things.

IMO, people who casually use marijuana (let's say, once a week) simply aren't harming themselves. The harm from grass only comes from A) smoking it and irritating the throat, B) becoming addicted to it (don't forget that physical dependency is hardly present - it's less physically addictive than caffeine) and smoking it to the point where it interferes with one's social life, job, relationships, etc. How likely is this to happen? Well, an estimated 83 million people (37 percent) over the age of 12 have tried marijuana. If cannabis addiction were an epidemic, I think we'd know.

Many sources try to make the claim that most people go to rehab for marijuana abuse, but the truth is, many people are SENT there by a judge as part of a plea bargain. The statistic of how many people is then abused, with prohibitionists claiming that people are mostly dependent upon cannabis. See how their propaganda works?
Quote:
Yes, I know that marijuana 'isn't as bad' as harder drugs. This just isn't that relevant, really. Less bad is still bad!

Many things can be considered "bad", given the proper context. Drinking too much water is bad. Rigorous exercise can cause a heart-attack. Here, let me give you an even better example:

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000

(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health Human Services.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now think about this:

(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.

(Yes, that's 80 million..)

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.

(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188

Statistics courtesy of the FBI

So, statistically, doctors are approximately

9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN,

BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

(that was taken from a chain-email from people who are anti-gun-control)

Once again, given the proper context, anything can be considered bad.

----------------

Etoven: I'm still planning to pick apart your post, but I have class in an hour and need some time for some last-minute preparations. However, I'll answer the part of your post that you actually wrote for now.
Quote:
Let me pose this question SJ....

You say you drove stoned off your ass with no insident while high on marijuana.

Hold on, there. I've driven while under the influence of cannabis, not "stoned off my ass". I may have been under some influence, but that's hardly a black-and-white issue. Same with alcohol: there's a blood alcohol content level which states use as a threshold to determine when a driver is too intoxicated.
Quote:
How the hell do you know your drive was with out incident? You where stoned off your ass being stupid!

I'm glad you were there to know how stupid I was being. Which night in particular are you talking about?
Quote:
You could have murdered fifty people and not realized it cause you where stoned off your ass.

Please, PLEASE tell me you don't actually believe this. Where do you draw your knowledge from - Reefer Madness?
Quote:
Not to mention that being stoned certainly does nothing for the reflexes, timing, coordination, reaction time all crucial to driving. No doubt you ran several red lights and almost caused numerous traffic accidents and didn't realize it.

Ahahahahahahaha!! Hoo-boy, you've never smoked, have you? I can get a good buzz from cannabis going on without being rendered completely oblivious, thank you very much. I can't say the same about alcohol, unfortunately. I can smoke and have intelligent conversations, cook food, do homework (though I prefer to be sober, because I don't get distracted as easily, and feel like I retain information better) and... well, pretty much anything I can do while sober.
Quote:
You probably didn't hear anything about it or assume it was without incident, because there where enough clear headed drivers out that night to get the hell out of your way.

I'm staying the hell off the road when your pot head ass comes driving by!

If this is your attitude towards cannabis (completely unfounded and inaccurate and based on myths that have been proven false decades ago), I won't even bother arguing with you. Next thing, you'll tell me that I'll sprout BREASTS because I smoke weed!
Quote:
You say you where clear headed while smoking pot.

Not entirely clearheaded, no, but I'm nowhere NEAR as incapacitated as you're suggesting.
Quote:
But You where high as well Your senses where also imparted. I did need the personal experiences of person in a drug induced state, I will not and can not except that as evidence to the contrary.

I'm assuming you meant "I don't need the personal...", as you've clearly had no experience with grass or grass-smokers whatsoever. Your delusional ideas of marijuana usage seem like they come directly from D.A.R.E.
Quote:
I choose to rely on empirical evidence, the facts of pot smoking are in abundance.

On the contrary, you're relying on misinformation and propaganda from a source that makes its money offering drug rehabilitation.
Tue, March 6th, 2007   #85
Great Rumbler
Tendocity's Resident Accountant and Amateur Writer

Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler

Read my web log.
Tue, March 6th, 2007   #86
Sacred Jellybean

Actually, I've found that taking a couple hits before a round of Melee actually improves my performance. I feel like I'm more into the game, focused better, and I certainly enjoy it more. That's just a personal observation, and I could be wrong.

Only losers lose drugs.

Now, to tackle etoven and marijuana-detox.com's arguments:
Quote:
Marijuana has many dangers; through both immediate effects and damage to health over time.

Dum-dum-DUUUUUMMMM!!! I suggest you watch Grass, etoven. It slightly biased towards legalizing marijuana, but it addresses many misguided myths.
Quote:
Marijuana hinders the user's short-term memory (memory for recent events), and he or she may have trouble handling complex tasks. With the use of more potent varieties of marijuana, even simple tasks can be difficult.

I'd like examples. I like to get high and play video games. The only interference comes from short-term memory retention. I also like to get high and philosophize with friends and mine. Even if this were true, it's not like humans are obligated to ALWAYS be readily available to handle complex tasks. Relaxation periods are necessary and healthy to an individual's mental health and emotional stability.
Quote:
Because of the drug's effects on perceptions and reaction time, users could be involved in auto crashes. Drug users also may become involved in risky sexual behavior. There is a strong link between drug use and unsafe sex and the spread of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

This is irrelevant. People can blame grass all they want on keeping their willies in their britches, but alcohol is far more likely to cause unsafe sex on its impairment on a user's judgment. Grass does induce an impairment and makes the user horny in many cases, but alcohol is worse, and with grass, rational-thinking isn't very difficult (speaking from personal experience). I would be willing to bet money on an empirical study (a citation of which this excerpt does NOT contain).
Quote:
Under the influence of marijuana, students may find it hard to study and learn. Young athletes could find their performance is off; timing, movements, and coordination are all affected by THC.

Yet athletes who are tested positive for THC are banned from olympic and other sporting events. Really ingenius drug policy there, no? Anyway, I also highlighted key words from your source that make their statements indefinite and not absolute.

Allow me to reiterate that it's up to the user to manage his time correctly. Only an irresponsible weed-smoker will get high before going to work, or attending classes, or studying, or doing anything that ought to require a sober perception for maximum efficiency. Of course, there are people who get high and go to work. Guess what happens? A) They won't get caught, and it won't make a difference, or B) it will show through their work, they'll be seen as incompetent and reprimanded for a mediocre performance (less likey, imo) and perhaps fired. Some people can manage it, some can't. The conclusion? The drug itself is not at fault - the person using it is at fault. Much like guns: guns don't kill people, psychotic killers kill people. Guns are practical when used properly, much like cannabis.
Quote:
Marijuana affects many skills required for safe driving: alertness, the ability to concentrate, coordination, and reaction time. These effects can last up to 24 hours after smoking marijuana. Marijuana use can make it difficult to judge distances and react to signals and sounds on the road.

You probably didn't read my monolith of a post. That's okay, allow me to quote it (and let me tell you, I DO cite my conclusions, and my citations don't include NORML):
Quote:
There are laws in place for drugged driving, in case you haven't noticed. Simple tests given by the police officer should determine if a person is incapacitated to a degree in which operating a motor vehicle is unsafe. How does that contradict what substances should be prohibited? Now, while I absolutely do not condone altering one's consciousness while operating machinery that puts the lives of others at risk, I can tell you with 100% certainty that, given a pair of options that I *must* choose from, I would much rather take a ride with a high driver than a drunk driver (if they're on, roughly, the same level of dosage). I'll include the appropriate references:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/...ETRY=1&SRETRY=0

http://www.ukcia.org/research/driving.htm

And, in case your attention span is short:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfcRyruo91Y

If you won't accept my moral relativity argument (that is, "cannabis shouldn't be taken while driving, but alcohol is worse"), again, my argument is just because some people are irresponsible and drive while under the influence of drugs, it's no reason to penalize those who DO use cannabis properly.
Quote:
There is data showing that marijuana can play a role in crashes. When users combine marijuana with alcohol, as they often do, the hazards of driving can be more severe than with either drug alone.

Gee, ya reckon? Also, users don't "often combine marijuana with alcohol." It's another myth that people don't just use cannabis: they use it in combination with other drugs. BZZT! This is a rough estimate, but I only combine alcohol with smoking about 5% of my total smoking time. The gateway theory has many times been attempted to be proven with actual scientific and empirical evidence, and it always fails.
Quote:
A study of patients in a shock-trauma unit who had been in traffic accidents revealed that 15 percent of those who had been driving a car or motorcycle had been smoking marijuana, and another 17 percent had both THC and alcohol in their blood.

In one study conducted in Memphis, TN, researchers found that, of 150 reckless drivers who were tested for drugs at the arrest scene, 33 percent tested positive for marijuana, and 12 percent tested positive for both marijuana and cocaine. Data also show that while smoking marijuana, people show the same lack of coordination on standard "drunk driver" tests as do people who have had too much to drink.

They also found that (I'm pulling these statistics out of my ass, obviously - don't worry, marijuana-detox.com probably did the same thing) 45% of people in these accidents had blonde hair. BLONDE PEOPLE CAUSE TRAFFIC ACCIDENTS!! Actually, a better approach would be to emperically measure, in a controlled study, the amount of people who smoke cannabis and drive, then pick out how many of those people have trouble driving. There needs to be studies conducted on people's performance in smoking and driving. Correlation is not causation. 33% seems really high; I wouldn't be surprised if they found THC metabolites in the subject's blood along with other drugs. With no citation to the study, we'll never know its quality. Studies conducted by groups who are out to keep drugs illegal are often biased or intentionally misconstrued.
Quote:
Smoking any drug is unhealthy. Marijuana is no exception. The smoke actually contains higher concentrations of carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) than tobacco smoke. Marijuana smokers generally inhale more smoke for longer depositing more than 4 times as much tar on their lungs as cigarette smokers.

From wikipedia.org:
Quote:
Cannabis smoke contains numerous carcinogens[6][7][8], however scientific studies have failed to show higher cancer rates in cannabis smokers. A study published in 2006 by Donald Tashkin of the University of California, Los Angeles, the largest study of its kind, concluded there is no link between smoking cannabis and lung cancer. [36]A study published in 2006 on a large population sample (1,200 people with lung, neck, or head cancer, and a matching group of 1,040 without cancer) failed to positively correlate a lung cancer risk, in fact the results indicated a slight negative correlation between long and short-term cannabis use and cancer, suggesting a possible therapeutic effect. Cellular studies and even some studies in animal models suggest that THC has antitumor properties, either by encouraging programmed cell death of genetically damaged cells that can become cancerous, or by restricting the development of the blood supply that feeds tumors.[37] Prior, a 1997 study examining the records of 64,855 Kaiser patients (14,033 of whom identified themselves as current smokers), also found no positive correlation between cannabis use and cancer.[38] A Research Triangle Institute study concluded that THC, a dilative agent, may help cleanse the lungs by dilating the bronchi, and could actively reduce the instance of tumors.[39] Additionally, a study by Rosenblatt et al. found no association between marijuana use and the development of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.[40]
Quote:
Worse is if you combine marijuana and tobacco. If you are a heavy smoker of marijuana and tobacco joints (more than 10 a day) you are significantly increasing your risk of contracting lung disease. Recent studies show that the greatest pre-cancerous abnormalities appear in those who smoke the two drugs together.

These studies are not cited, and I've never heard anything of this sort. It's a biased source to begin with. Next!
Quote:
A common side-effect, usually for first time or early users, is anxiety, panic, paranoia and feelings of impending doom. In a recent study, between 10%-15% of people who smoked marijuana reported "paranoid" or "confused" feelings as a disadvantage of smoking marijuana. And over 27% reported "anxiety" as a regular or occasional effect. Around 30% gave "negative experiences" as their reason for permanently quitting marijuana.

So if 10-15% of people feel anxious, paranoid, and confused, the other 85-90% should stop smoking and enjoying the feelings of relaxation, euphoria, ecstasy, etc? Here's a better idea: those 10-15% of people can find another hobby that doesn't cause them anxiety.
Quote:
The short-term effects of marijuana use can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination;

Same with alcohol, but (with alcohol) increased significantly.
Quote:
and increased heart rate.

Sex causes increased heart-rate as well. BAN CONDOMS!
Quote:
Research findings for long-term marijuana use indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term use of other major drugs of abuse. For example, cannabinoid (THC or synthetic forms of THC) withdrawal in chronically exposed animals leads to an increase in the activation of the stress-response system and changes in the activity of nerve cells containing dopamine. Dopamine neurons are involved in the regulation of motivation and reward, and are directly or indirectly affected by all drugs of abuse.

From Exposing Marijuana and Myths: Review of Scientific Evidence:
Quote:
In the most recently published study, rhesus monkeys were exposed through face-mask inhalation to the smoke equivalent of four to five joints per day for one year. When sacrificed seven months later, there was no observed alteration of hippocampal architecture, cell size, cell number, or synaptic configuration. The authors conclude:

"While behavioral and neuroendocrinal effects are observed during marijuana smoke exposure in the monkey, residual neuropathological and neurochemical effects of marijuana exposure were not observed seven months after the year-long marijuana smoke regimen." 53

Thus, 20 years after the first report of brain damage in two marijuana-exposed monkeys, the claim of damage to brain cells has been effectively disproven.

No postmortem examinations of the brains of human marijuana users have ever been conducted. However, numerous studies have explored marijuana effect on brain-related cognitive functions. Many employ an experimental design—in which subjects are given marijuana in a laboratory setting, and then compared to controls on a variety of measures involving attention, learning and memory.

"In a number of studies, no significant differences were detected. 54 In fact, there is substantial research demonstrating that that marijuana intoxication does not impair the retrieval of information learned previously. 55 However, there is evidence that marijuana, particularly in high doses, may interfere with users' ability to transfer new information into longterm memory. 56"

While there is general agreement that, while under the influence of marijuana, learning is less efficient, 57 there is no evidence that marijuana users—even longterm users—suffer permanent impairment. Indeed, numerous studies comparing chronic marijuana users with non-user controls have found no significant differences in learning, memory recall or other cognitive functions. 58
Quote:
One study has indicated that a user’s risk of heart attack more than quadruples in the first hour after smoking marijuana. The researchers suggest that such an effect might occur from marijuana’s effects on blood pressure and heart rate and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of blood.

No citation given for the ONE study that concludes this. This is from an interview with a physician by the name of Dr. Lesten Grinspoon (okay, he's an advocate of cannabis legalization, but at least the man is competent and an expert in the field):
Quote:
WOL: Dr. Grinspoon, what is your assessment of the Middleman report?

Dr. Grinspoon: (Laughs). I've been getting phone calls all week about it. I even spoke with Dr. Middleman this week to ask him for his report. It has not yet been written. In fact, he does have an abstract. Now, let me say that since 1967 there have been numerous reports and studies, each of which the American media has blown out of all proportion, stating one or another supposed ill effect of marijuana use. I can list them, if you'd like. 'Increase in the size of the ventricles, decrease in testosterone, destruction of chromosomes.' All were front-page stories, none of them have ever been replicated. In other words, they didn't pan out scientifically. Of course, the studies that contradicted them ended up on page 31 or thereabouts, if they got mentioned at all.

WOL: So you don't give much weight to Dr. Middleman's findings?

Dr. Grinspoon: Well, I would point out that out of 3,882 patients, we're talking about 9 who used marijuana within an hour of the onset of a heart attack. That's around 0.2%. By sheer mathematics, given that people sleep eight hours per day or so, we can deduce that 6.7% of those patients emptied their bowels within an hour of onset. It's incredible to me that the numbers here could be said to constitute a significant risk factor.

WOL: Dr. Middleman said in an interview that he believes that it is the increased heart rate from smoking marijuana that is responsible.

Dr. Grinspoon: Yes, and he put that increase at 40 beats per minute. In truth, that number is closer to 20 beats per minute, which is probably consistent with running up the stairs in one's house.

WOL: So you disagree with Dr. Middleman's characterization of the risk as 'significant'?

Dr. Grinspoon: First, let me say that I blame the media far more than I do Dr. Middleman. I read his abstract, and in its conclusion he cautioned against making too much of the data. Conceivably, there is some risk, although if there is, it is barely measurable. Even assuming that the data presented is right, one must still wait to see if it can be replicated.

WOL: You seem to be pretty skeptical about the chances of that happening.

Dr. Grinspoon: Well, in 1997, Kaiser Permanente did a large-scale study which included more than 65,000 admitted marijuana users, and they could not demonstrate any impact of marijuana use on mortality. If marijuana use really was a significant risk factor for heart attack, it is hard to believe that it didn't turn up there. Again, I'm not saying that there is absolutely no risk demonstrated here. But given the history of the research since 1967, I'd be surprised if these findings don't go down the same chute as all of the other front-page scare stories.
Quote:
A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers. Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.

No citation given. Here's an interesting piece of news, though:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006560113,00.html

It's about a woman in India who's 120 years old (making her a candidate for one of the oldest people on the earth) who smokes cannabis daily.
Quote:
Even infrequent use can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, often accompanied by a heavy cough.

Dum-dum-DUUUUM!! Well, smoking isn't the only way to take cannabis. Vaporization produces much of the same effects as smoking, without the harm inflicted from smoke.
Quote:
Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers do, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency to obstructed airways.

Speculation; no citation given. Given that cannabis doesn't produce lung cancer or emphysema, I think we can all agree that it's misguided to attribute it to the same ailments associated with cigarette smoking, yes?
Quote:
Cancer of the respiratory tract and lungs may also be promoted by marijuana smoke. A study comparing 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy individuals produced strong evidence that smoking marijuana increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck, and the more marijuana smoked the greater the increase. A statistical analysis of the data suggested that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the risk of these cancers.

Marijuana use has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract because it contains irritants and carcinogens. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke. It also produces high levels of an enzyme that converts certain hydrocarbons into their carcinogenic form—levels that may accelerate the changes that ultimately produce malignant cells. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which increases the lungs’ exposure to carcinogenic smoke. These facts suggest that, puff for puff, smoking marijuana may increase the risk of cancer more than smoking tobacco.

I already refuted this.
Quote:
Some of marijuana's adverse health effects may occur because THC impairs the immune system’s ability to fight off infectious diseases and cancer. In laboratory experiments that exposed animal and human cells to THC or other marijuana ingredients, the normal disease-preventing reactions of many of the key types of immune cells were inhibited. In other studies, mice exposed to THC or related substances were more likely than unexposed mice to develop bacterial infections and tumors.

This is false. Also from Exposing Marijuana Myths: A Review of Scientific Evidence:
Quote:
It has been widely claimed that marijuana substantially increases users' risk of contracting various infectious diseases. First emerging in the 1970s, this claim took on new significance in the 1980s, following reports of marijuana use by people suffering from AIDS.
The Facts

The principal study fueling the original claim of immune impairment involved preparations created with white blood cells that had been removed from marijuana smokers and controls. After exposing the cells to known immune activators, researchers reported a lower rate of "transformation" in those taken from marijuana smokers. 26

However, numerous groups of scientists, using similar techniques, have failed to confirm this original study. 27

In fact, a 1988 study demonstrated an increase in responsiveness when white blood cells from marijuana smokers were exposed to immunological activators. 28

Studies involving laboratory animals have shown immune impairment following administration of THC, but only with the use of extremely high doses. For example, one study demonstrated an increase in herpes infection in rodents given doses of 100 mg/kg/day - a dose approximately 1000 times the dose necessary to produce a psychoactive effect in humans. 29

There have been no clinical or epidemiological studies showing an increase in bacterial, viral, or parasitic infection among human marijuana users. In three large field studies conducted in the 1970s, in Jamaica, Costa Rica and Greece, researchers found no differences in disease susceptibility between marijuana users and matched controls. 30

Marijuana use does not increase the risk of HIV infection; nor does it increase the onset or intensity of symptoms among AIDS patients. 31 In fact, the FDA decision to approve the use of Marinol (synthetic THC) for use in HIV-wasting syndrome relied upon the absence of any immunopathology due to THC. 32

Today, thousands of people with AIDS are smoking marijuana daily to combat nausea and increase appetite. There is no scientific basis for claims that this practice compromises their immune responses. Indeed, the recent discovery of a peripheral cannabinoid receptor associated with lymphatic tissue should encourage aggressive exploration of THC's potential use as an immune-system stimulant. 33
Quote:
Effects of Heavy Marijuana Use on Learning and Social Behavior

Depression, anxiety, and personality disturbances are all associated with marijuana use.

Because people with this problems likely smoke it for emotional relief. That doesn't mean cannabis CAUSED them. People who take anti-depressants are also associated with "depression, anxiety, and personality disturbances". I guess we better rid the world of medication for schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, etc.
Quote:
Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana use has potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person’s existing problems worse. Because marijuana compromises the ability to learn and remember information, the more a person uses marijuana the more he or she is likely to fall behind in accumulating intellectual, job, or social skills. Moreover, research has shown that marijuana’s adverse impact on memory and learning can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off.

From http://www.mikuriya.com/cw_depend.html :
Quote:
The complex interplay of cannabis use with physiology and psychology challenges research. Outcomes are combinations of pharmacology, expectations, setting, personal and social forces. The contemporary ambiguity, a product of ignorance from deprivation of contemporary clinical experience, may be somewhat assuaged by two facts: Firstly, cannabis has been used for millennia by numerous cultures without serious adverse consequences. Secondly, neither the composition of cannabis nor the physiology of humans have changed since the drug was taken from the armementarium of medicine.
Quote:
Students who smoke marijuana get lower grades and are less likely to graduate from high school, compared to their non-smoking peers. In one study, researchers compared marijuana-smoking and non-smoking 12th-graders’ scores on standardized tests of verbal and mathematical skills. Although all of the students had scored equally well in 4th grade, the marijuana smokers’ scores were significantly lower in 12th grade.

People who experiment with drugs are people who generally rebel against society's standards. Correlation != causation. Minors who smoke weed are also more likely to skip class (and would probably have done so regardless), but did weed cause that, or was it an ongoing problem before the user began smoking? Marijuana-detox.com still hasn't proven a thing, aside from self-interest and promotion of a service that makes it's money off of convincing people that they have a drug problem and need treatment for it. I'm not saying people don't have problems with drug addiction, but not everyone does, particularly people who use a drug that's less physically addictive than caffeine, cigarettes, and alcohol.
Quote:
A study of 129 college students found that, for heavy users of marijuana (those who smoked the drug at least 27 of the preceding 30 days), critical skills related to attention, memory, and learning were significantly impaired even after they had not used the drug for at least 24 hours. The heavy marijuana users in the study had more trouble sustaining and shifting their attention and in registering, organizing, and using information than did the study participants who had used marijuana no more than 3 of the previous 30 days. As a result, someone who smokes marijuana once daily may be functioning at a reduced intellectual level all of the time.

Surprise, surprise, still no citation given!
Quote:
More recently, the same researchers showed that the ability of a group of long-term heavy marijuana users to recall words from a list remained impaired for a week after quitting, but returned to normal within 4 weeks. An implication of this finding is that some cognitive abilities may be restored in individuals who quit smoking marijuana, even after long-term heavy use.

They never define what "long-term heavy marijuana usage" encapsulates. It wouldn't surprise me if someone who smoked all day, every day eventually had memory problems (though insubstantial - honestly, this is trouble remembering a list of words, for crying out loud). The page concedes that after 4 weeks, normal cognitive abilities are restored. In conclusion, if you don't moderate your pot use (that is, you smoke it every day, all day) for the long-term (something they again fail to define), eventually, you'll have transient memory problems that won't reverse until you quit after a month. Is that really so bad?
Quote:
Workers who smoke marijuana are more likely than their coworkers to have problems on the job. Several studies associate workers' marijuana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers' compensation claims, and job turnover. A study of municipal workers found that those who used marijuana on or off the job reported more "withdrawal behaviors"—such as leaving work without permission, daydreaming, spending work time on personal matters, and shirking tasks—that adversely affect productivity and morale.

This study requires the participant to admit that he smokes pot to his co-workers. I'm sure there are many closet-smokers that will lie about something like this. Hence, the results are skewed.
Quote:
Research has shown that babies born to women who used marijuana during their pregnancies display altered responses to visual stimuli, increased tremulousness, and a high-pitched cry, which may indicate problems with neurological development. During infancy and preschool years, marijuana-exposed children have been observed to have more behavioral problems and poorer performance on tasks of visual perception, language comprehension, sustained attention, and memory. In school, these children are more likely to exhibit deficits in decision-making skills, memory, and the ability to remain attentive.

Again, from Exposing Marijuana Myths: A Review of the Scientific Evidence:
Quote:
A number of studies claimed reported low birth weight and physical abnormalities among babies exposed to marijuana in utero. 43 However, when other factors known to affect pregnancy outcomes were controlled for—for example, maternal age, socioeconomic class, and alcohol and tobacco use—the association between marijuana use and adverse fetal effects disappeared. 44

Numerous other studies have failed to find negative impacts from marijuana exposure. 45 However, when negative outcomes are found, they tend to be widely publicized, regardless of the quality of the study.

"It is now often claimed that marijuana use during pregnancy causes childhood leukemia. The basis for this claim is one study, in which .5% of the mothers of leukemic children admitted to using marijuana prior to or during pregnancy. A "control group" of mothers with normal children was then created and questioned by telephone about previous drug use. Their reported .5% marijuana use-rate was used to calculate a 10-fold greater risk of leukemia for children born to marijuana users. 46 Given national surveys showing marijuana prevalence rates of at least 10%, these "control group" mothers almost certainly under-reported their drug use to strangers on the telephone."

Also used as evidence of marijuana-induced fetal harm are two longitudinal studies, in which the children of marijuana users were examined repeatedly. However, on closer examination, the effects of marijuana appear to be quite minimal, if existent at all.

"After finding a slight deficit in visual responsiveness among marijuana-exposed newborns, no differences were found at six months, 12 months, 18 months, or 24 months. 47 At age 3, the only difference (after controlling for confounding variables) was that children of "moderate" smokers had superior psycho-motor skills. At age 4, children of "heavy" marijuana users (averaging 18.7 joints/week) had lower scores on one subscale of one standardized test of verbal development. 48 At age 6, these same children scored lower on one computerized task—that measuring "vigilance." On dozens of others scales and subscales, no differences were ever found. 49

In another study, standardized IQ tests were administered to marijuana-exposed and unexposed three year-olds. Researchers found no differences in the overall scores. However, by dividing the sample by race, they found—among African-American children only—lower scores on one subscale for those exposed during the first trimester and lower scores on a different subscale for those exposed during the second trimester. 50"

Although it is sensible to advise pregnant women to abstain from using most drugs—including marijuana—the weight of scientific evidence indicates that marijuana has few adverse consequences for the developing human fetus.

Quote:
Long-term marijuana use can lead to addiction for some people; that is, they use the drug compulsively even though it often interferes with family, school, work, and recreational activities.

It's possible, but it's not all black-and-white. Propaganda sources like these specialize in taking the worst-case-scenario and blowing it out of proportion.
Quote:
Drug craving and withdrawal symptoms can make it hard for long-term marijuana smokers to stop using the drug. People trying to quit report irritability, sleeplessness, and anxiety(38). They also display increased aggression on psychological tests, peaking approximately one week after the last use of the drug(39).

Irritability, sleeplessness, anxiety? These are hardly qualities of an addiction problem of epidemic proportions. People who have addictions that result in actual physical dependencies become ill without their drug. These problems peak in a week, according to your source, and pale in comparison to quitting cigarettes and alcohol.
Tue, March 6th, 2007   #87
Great Rumbler
Tendocity's Resident Accountant and Amateur Writer

Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler

Read my web log.
Tue, March 6th, 2007   #88
Sacred Jellybean

Are you trying to make a point by posting propaganda from our uptight, conservative, "Just Say No To Drugs" Reagan Era? I use drugs, yet in my circle of friends, I can bitch-slap everyone who plays me regularly in Melee.

Here is a list of losers, as per that message:
Carl Sagan
George Carlin
Willie Nelson
Woody Harrelson
Bill Maher
Bill Hicks
Matthew McConaughey
Charlize Theron
Jack Nicholson
Jon Voit
Jennifer Aniston
Al Gore
Bill Clinton (didn't inhale? Bullshit)
George W. Bush
Barack Obama
Paris Hilton... wait, no, I take that one back

Don't these people realize that the fact that they've used marijuana in the past renders their lives useless?! Dumb ol' drug fiends. You try to drill something into their heads, yet they STILL leave their houses to try to make something of themselves. Those stupid fucking pothead burn-out losers!
Tue, March 6th, 2007   #89
Ryan
Tyrone Slothrop, Esq.

He dismissed the entire contents of the article I posted before even reading it. Apparently, the doctor who wrote it was a pothead, and so was every one of the scientists and statisticians listed as one of the 70-some sources. I spent almost an hour arguing with him last night about it, and nothing I said was right because 'I was deluded'. And no, he's never come closer to pot than a TV screen.

I just can't reconcile alcohol being legal and marijuana not being legal. It's a horrible double-standard.
Tue, March 6th, 2007   #90
Sacred Jellybean

Quote:
He dismissed the entire contents of the article I posted before even reading it. Apparently, the doctor who wrote it was a pothead, and so was every one of the scientists and statisticians listed as one of the 70-some sources.

Well, I guess I wasted an hour, then. Oh well. Some people have their head too far up their ass to realize the truth, but what can you do? The sad thing is, these people vote.

Was the doctor Lester Grinspoon, by any chance?
Quote:
I spent almost an hour arguing with him last night about it, and nothing I said was right because 'I was deluded'.

Irony is great.
Quote:
And no, he's never come closer to pot than a TV screen.

Surprise, surprise.
Quote:
I just can't reconcile alcohol being legal and marijuana not being legal. It's a horrible double-standard.

Amen, bruddah.
Tue, March 6th, 2007   #91
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

Quote:
Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

(that was taken from a chain-email from people who are anti-gun-control)

Once again, given the proper context, anything can be considered bad.

On that subject, banning all non-hunting guns from America would be an extremely good thing... I know it won't happen, but it would help. I know, 'more guns don't mean more violence', as Michael Moore's gun movie showed (comparing the US to Canada, which also has a lot of guns, and how much less violence there is in Canada), but when you've got a problem on the scale we do, something like that couldn't help but make adifference. Police and such would still be armed, of course, but those people who say 'you need weapons to protect yourself from the criminals who would keep guns if they were banned'... well, many other nations have banned handguns and the like, and they seem to be doing a decent job of minimizing the amount of gun violence. (violence with other weapons would go up, like knives and the like, but those are less easily lethal...)
Quote:
What makes those choices bad in the eyes of prohibitionists is misinformation about the substance in question. Of course, I ought to ask - are you another person in the boat that believes that cigarettes and alcohol should be illegal, too? Why is it a crime to alter one's perception, if he isn't harming anyone?

The question of harm vs. benefit is a central one. Tobacco is very easy to categorize: in any quantity, it does harm. Smoke one cigarette or breate in some tobacco smoke and you've done permanant damage to your body. Meanwhile, tobacco has no beneficial side-effects that come even remotely close to negating the negative ones. As a result, it should be banned -- or at least cigarettes should be banned; smokeless tobacco is less bad because people using it only be harm themselves, not themselves and everyone around them.

Alchohol... despite being by far the most abused and dangerous drug fatalities-caused-by-it wise, thanks to drunken driving and alchohol-fueled agression, in small quantities it doesn't do lasting harm and perhaps in some forms helps, so it probably should be legal -- though the societal problems caused by alchohol abuse are huge, and reducing them is very important. I can think of good arguments on both sides of this question... I'm not sure which I more believe.
Quote:
IMO, people who casually use marijuana (let's say, once a week) simply aren't harming themselves. The harm from grass only comes from A) smoking it and irritating the throat, B) becoming addicted to it (don't forget that physical dependency is hardly present - it's less physically addictive than caffeine) and smoking it to the point where it interferes with one's social life, job, relationships, etc. How likely is this to happen? Well, an estimated 83 million people (37 percent) over the age of 12 have tried marijuana. If cannabis addiction were an epidemic, I think we'd know.

Many sources try to make the claim that most people go to rehab for marijuana abuse, but the truth is, many people are SENT there by a judge as part of a plea bargain. The statistic of how many people is then abused, with prohibitionists claiming that people are mostly dependent upon cannabis. See how their propaganda works?

I don't like any drugs when I can avoid them. If I wanted I could be on medication for social anxiety or something, or (lesser) could look more seriously into if some medicine could deal with whatever it is I'm allergic to (that has caused my nose to not be completely clear in seven or eight years now), but I don't, though for the latter the fact that I tried a few for a while and found that they didn't make it completely go away was part of the reason, for the former, it just feels wrong...

Anyway, arguments like "it is not much more addictive than caffeine" or "it doesn't really do much more impairment than alchohol at best" are not exactly what I would call things that I would look at as examples of why I should support the thing. Legalize something and more people will use it. As a result, legalization of marijuana would harm the public health with only minimal gain (among that tiny percentage who might find medical gains, and medical use could be approved without general legalization, perhaps, under certain conditions).

For instance, Prohibition. While everyone thinks of the speakeasies and illegally made liquor, what isn't as well known is the fact that during prohibition, the number of people using alchohol, and the number abusing it, fell dramatically. The federal government eventually gave up because of public pressures and the impossible task of policing it all in a state of increased criminal activity to serve the people who would not give up alchohol, but overall, drunkenness and alchohol abuse rates dropped appreciably. Once it was legalized again, they began to go back up.

Anyway... legalization might well decrease the criminal activities surrounding the marijuana trade, but it would increase the numbers of people using the drug dramatically, and that would NOT be a good thing. Perhaps look into whether it could actually work in certain medical situations (I am far from convinced that there is proof that it's actually needed (that is, that nothing else could help), and set up a legal procedure for those people to get marijuana in a way that would not support crime (buying it on the street and supporting whatever gangs or criminal groups were involved in its production, transportation, and sale), but don't generally legalize.

I remember when a few years ago I had a roommate (idiot...)... every weekend he went out with his friends and did marijuana or alchohol (not 21 yet) or both, whatever. He got in trouble with the law once that year (him and his genius friends were on something and decided to enter someone's open room and take something in it. They got caught.) and again later on (after that school year, for smoking marijuana on Main Street, I believe... smart, that!). If I hadn't already been strongly opposed to drug use, that would have done it, I expect... that wasn't my point, though. My point was this -- the whole mindset of "wow, I don't remember what we were doing last night at all, isn't that awesome" makes absolutely no sense to me. You forget what you were doing... so that's a GOOD thing? Uh, isn't that pretty obviously BAD, not good? Yup.
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
Tue, March 6th, 2007   #92
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Whatever the view on gun control, that Michael Moore guy used nothing but shock value and no actual information. His movies are as anti-reason as anything else. It's about as meaningful as that "Super Size Me" movie, also full of misinformation.

Anyway, that all said, biased reports from this or that site are a dime a dozen, but a few good double blinded studies are self evident. Let's get some of those in here.
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
Tue, March 6th, 2007   #93
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

From what I've been reading, the reduced risks are not exactly what you might think. It does not cause emphyzima, but it does have numerous carcinogens.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...l=pubmed_docsum

Further, more studies DO in fact show reduced reaction times among other cognitive deficiencies. It can be extrapolated that people driving while high are probably about as dangerous as people driving while tired, another dangerous activity (which is legal, but I'd say that's mainly because it's very hard to test for "tiredness". Certainly risking your own life is fine but the line is drawn when you decide to risk other's lives because, you have to get your car home, right? I mean, what do you expect me to take a bus? YOU take a bus!). Anecdotally, I can say that the one time I've played against some people that actually were high (a rare find with the people I hang out with, and actually I haven't seen these people in years), their abilities sank while their confidence in their abilities rose. The game was Super Smash Bros. Melee. Anyway again that's just a personal anecdote. Though there is this study:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannab..._driving4.shtml

And for the record, philosophy? I'm sure you had a great time saying things like "what if god is INSIDE us?" or "no I mean like, REALLY inside us" or "yeah... what? no right", but I'd like to hear something using logic (or maybe you have "other ways of knowing") come out of that.

Anyway, don't drive high. Just don't. It may be debatable if it should be illegal, and I really don't care much if you have this hobby as you call it, but certainly it's wrong to endanger someone ELSE and I'm in full support of the law in that regard. No hypothetical "well MAYBE I drive more catiously because I know I'm high" nonsense either. The evidence says one thing, you have reduced ability, and unless you have something better than hypothetical reasons why that might not apply while driving, well, just don't drink and drive, drive while very tired, or get high and drive. In all three instances, what's giving a few hours to lose the effects going to do? Even if there's a sudden emergency in the family, that's not worth the risk. You aren't going to be doing the surgery or investigation or extinguising the fire or whatever yourself, so you aren't needed. You can deal with the emotional whatevers later.

Oh, you'll need to show some sort of evidence that this whole "turning off your brain" thing is actually a good thing for mental stability (emotions are PART of mentallity, they need not be mentioned seperatly). I do that anyway, and it's called sleep. Aside from that, I really just can't shut off my brain and I'm really not sure I want to. I enjoy thinking about things constantly myself, not that I can help it. Indeed, I can't really stay on a single topic for very long periods of time either.
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by Dark Jaguar : Tue, March 6th, 2007 at 06:11 PM.
Tue, March 6th, 2007   #94
alien space marine
Holy Macaroni

Micheal Moore film was distorted , He tries to say that Canada has easy access to guns. By going to a Canadian Walmart and making it appear as if you can purchase a new rifle over the counter just like you had bought a new pair of shoes, When in fact he would have needed to registry a month in advance do his paper work get a License and then show up. Moore likely did go through that complicated process but the documentary neither states or shows it and leads you to falsely believe getting a gun legally in Canada is as easy as buying a Popsicle.

Then there is the Bank scene now that was staged even says so in the movie trivia.

Moore's 9/11 comments are tasteless enough that does deserve to be blown up two holding hot dogs each hand in real life and not just Team America world police
Tue, March 6th, 2007   #95
Sacred Jellybean

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
The question of harm vs. benefit is a central one. Tobacco is very easy to categorize: in any quantity, it does harm.

It tastes good and relieves stress. Those are two benefits.
Quote:
Alchohol... despite being by far the most abused and dangerous drug fatalities-caused-by-it wise, thanks to drunken driving and alchohol-fueled agression, in small quantities it doesn't do lasting harm and perhaps in some forms helps, so it probably should be legal -- though the societal problems caused by alchohol abuse are huge, and reducing them is very important. I can think of good arguments on both sides of this question... I'm not sure which I more believe.

You concede that alcohol is helpful in some forms, but why don't you do the same with cannabis?
Quote:
I don't like any drugs when I can avoid them. If I wanted I could be on medication for social anxiety or something, or (lesser) could look more seriously into if some medicine could deal with whatever it is I'm allergic to (that has caused my nose to not be completely clear in seven or eight years now), but I don't, though for the latter the fact that I tried a few for a while and found that they didn't make it completely go away was part of the reason, for the former, it just feels wrong...

Yeah, I don't see any need for medication to treat social anxiety disorder. Therapy, rigorous introspection, and perhaps behavioral conditioning seem more appropriate.
Quote:
Anyway, arguments like "it is not much more addictive than caffeine" or "it doesn't really do much more impairment than alchohol at best" are not exactly what I would call things that I would look at as examples of why I should support the thing.

Don't you consider it a double-standard, though, that we lock people up for cannabis possession and trafficking when it's not as harmful as alcohol? Isn't the fact that it's costly and wasteful enough reason to legalize it? What about the fact that the black market thrives on its illegality?
Quote:
Legalize something and more people will use it.

As I stated in my earlier post, this is a common misconception not supported by facts.

From http://www.parl.gc.ca/37/1/parlbus/...-e.htm#_ftnref3 :
Quote:
In conclusion, trends in cannabis use in the Netherlands are rather similar to those in other European countries, and Dutch figures on cannabis use are not out of line with those from countries that did not decriminalise cannabis. The U.S. figures consistently appear to be higher then those in the Netherlands. Over time prevalence of cannabis use show a wave-like trend in many countries, including the Netherlands. This supports Reuband’s earlier conclusion that trends cannabis use evolve rather independently from drug policy, and that countries with a ‘liberal’ cannabis policy do not have higher or lower rates than countries with a more repressive policy.[Reuband, 1995].

Consequently, it is unlikely that decriminalization of cannabis will cause an increase in cannabis use.
Quote:
As a result, legalization of marijuana would harm the public health with only minimal gain (among that tiny percentage who might find medical gains, and medical use could be approved without general legalization, perhaps, under certain conditions).

I'd call the freedom to possess and purchase cannabis without worrying about legal repercussions is more than a minimal gain. I find cannabis to be a healthier alternative to alcohol, and hence, it would benefit the population to give people a better choice in terms of choosing intoxicants.
Quote:
For instance, Prohibition. While everyone thinks of the speakeasies and illegally made liquor, what isn't as well known is the fact that during prohibition, the number of people using alchohol, and the number abusing it, fell dramatically. The federal government eventually gave up because of public pressures and the impossible task of policing it all in a state of increased criminal activity to serve the people who would not give up alchohol, but overall, drunkenness and alchohol abuse rates dropped appreciably. Once it was legalized again, they began to go back up.

Perhaps, but if you look at the statistics, it shows that rates of drug usage have slightly gone up since the War on Drugs was put into action.
Quote:
Anyway... legalization might well decrease the criminal activities surrounding the marijuana trade, but it would increase the numbers of people using the drug dramatically, and that would NOT be a good thing.

Not so. Like I've shown, rates of cannabis usage in Amsterdam are less than those in the United States and England.
Quote:
Perhaps look into whether it could actually work in certain medical situations (I am far from convinced that there is proof that it's actually needed (that is, that nothing else could help), and set up a legal procedure for those people to get marijuana in a way that would not support crime (buying it on the street and supporting whatever gangs or criminal groups were involved in its production, transportation, and sale), but don't generally legalize.

Did you even look at the response I gave to you? There have been numerous scientific studies proving marijuana's medicinal value. Montel Williams, who believes that recreational usage of marijuana should NOT be legalized, is a medical marijuana user and swears by its effectiveness. Medical marijuana is not a Trojan horse for legalization.
Quote:
I remember when a few years ago I had a roommate (idiot...)... every weekend he went out with his friends and did marijuana or alchohol (not 21 yet) or both, whatever. He got in trouble with the law once that year (him and his genius friends were on something and decided to enter someone's open room and take something in it. They got caught.) and again later on (after that school year, for smoking marijuana on Main Street, I believe... smart, that!).

Your former-roommate is an idiot. It's not hard to exercise basic caution in keeping cannabis smoking on the down-low, and he failed miserably. Don't use him as a point-of-reference for all marijuana users. I've never been caught with cannabis.
Quote:
If I hadn't already been strongly opposed to drug use, that would have done it, I expect...

Done what? Opened the gateway to your failure at life for experimenting with an illicit drug? Clarification is needed...
Quote:
that wasn't my point, though. My point was this -- the whole mindset of "wow, I don't remember what we were doing last night at all, isn't that awesome" makes absolutely no sense to me. You forget what you were doing... so that's a GOOD thing? Uh, isn't that pretty obviously BAD, not good? Yup.

I generally forget more of what went on as a result of drinking, rather than smoking. With smoking, it's easy to remember what occurred, because it doesn't kill my brain and put me out-of-control. I don't generally like getting incapacitated either, or having to apologize for my behavior and feeling embarrassed the next day.
Quote:
From what I've been reading, the reduced risks are not exactly what you might think. It does not cause emphyzima, but it does have numerous carcinogens.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...l=pubmed_docsum

From wikipedia:
Quote:
Cannabis smoke contains numerous carcinogens[6][7][8], however scientific studies have failed to show higher cancer rates in cannabis smokers. A study published in 2006 by Donald Tashkin of the University of California, Los Angeles, the largest study of its kind, concluded there is no link between smoking cannabis and lung cancer. [36]A study published in 2006 on a large population sample (1,200 people with lung, neck, or head cancer, and a matching group of 1,040 without cancer) failed to positively correlate a lung cancer risk, in fact the results indicated a slight negative correlation between long and short-term cannabis use and cancer, suggesting a possible therapeutic effect. Cellular studies and even some studies in animal models suggest that THC has antitumor properties, either by encouraging programmed cell death of genetically damaged cells that can become cancerous, or by restricting the development of the blood supply that feeds tumors.[37] Prior, a 1997 study examining the records of 64,855 Kaiser patients (14,033 of whom identified themselves as current smokers), also found no positive correlation between cannabis use and cancer.[38] A Research Triangle Institute study concluded that THC, a dilative agent, may help cleanse the lungs by dilating the bronchi, and could actively reduce the instance of tumors.[39] Additionally, a study by Rosenblatt et al. found no association between marijuana use and the development of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.[40]
Quote:
Further, more studies DO in fact show reduced reaction times among other cognitive deficiencies. It can be extrapolated that people driving while high are probably about as dangerous as people driving while tired, another dangerous activity (which is legal, but I'd say that's mainly because it's very hard to test for "tiredness". Certainly risking your own life is fine but the line is drawn when you decide to risk other's lives because, you have to get your car home, right? I mean, what do you expect me to take a bus? YOU take a bus!).

That's true, but I'm simply pointing out that it's a logical fallacy to state that cannabis should be kept illegal because people may drive under its influence, when its influence isn't as deadly as a drunk driver behind the wheel. I don't generally make it a practice to drive under the influence unless it's an emergency (and besides, I live in the city, so everything's within walking distance anyway).
Quote:
Anecdotally, I can say that the one time I've played against some people that actually were high (a rare find with the people I hang out with, and actually I haven't seen these people in years), their abilities sank while their confidence in their abilities rose. The game was Super Smash Bros. Melee. Anyway again that's just a personal anecdote.

Did you play them while sober, and again while they were high? They could have been poor players to begin with. Melee players like to blow their abilities out of proportion, and the problem is, they're often oblivious to their true level of skill as a result of usually only playing with one group of people.

It also depends on how much they smoke. I usually only smoke enough to get a buzz if I'm playing a game, not enough to put me on my ass (though cannabis "putting me on my ass" is a rarity nowadays anyway).
Quote:
Though there is this study:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannab..._driving4.shtml

From that website:
Quote:
As a consequence, THC's adverse effects on driving performance appear relatively small.

I'm not saying that getting high and driving is harmless, but I am trying to point out that the level of impairment one experiences is dramatically lower than that of alcohol.
Quote:
And for the record, philosophy? I'm sure you had a great time saying things like "what if god is INSIDE us?" or "no I mean like, REALLY inside us" or "yeah... what? no right", but I'd like to hear something using logic (or maybe you have "other ways of knowing") come out of that.

I'm glad you were present to know the level of intelligence in which I spoke. I don't have any studies to prove this one (and I doubt any exist), so there's no way practical way to convince you.
Quote:
Anyway, don't drive high. Just don't. It may be debatable if it should be illegal, and I really don't care much if you have this hobby as you call it, but certainly it's wrong to endanger someone ELSE and I'm in full support of the law in that regard. No hypothetical "well MAYBE I drive more catiously because I know I'm high" nonsense either.

From the link you provided:
Quote:
Drivers under the influence of marijuana retain insight in their performance and will compensate where they can, for example, by slowing down or increasing effort.
Quote:
The evidence says one thing, you have reduced ability, and unless you have something better than hypothetical reasons why that might not apply while driving, well, just don't drink and drive, drive while very tired, or get high and drive. In all three instances, what's giving a few hours to lose the effects going to do? Even if there's a sudden emergency in the family, that's not worth the risk. You aren't going to be doing the surgery or investigation or extinguising the fire or whatever yourself, so you aren't needed. You can deal with the emotional whatevers later.

What if it's urgent that a person is rushed to a hospital, and waiting for an ambulance might compromise the ill person's health? Not everything is black-and-white, but generally, I agree with that sentiment.
Quote:
Oh, you'll need to show some sort of evidence that this whole "turning off your brain" thing is actually a good thing for mental stability (emotions are PART of mentallity, they need not be mentioned seperatly). I do that anyway, and it's called sleep. Aside from that, I really just can't shut off my brain and I'm really not sure I want to. I enjoy thinking about things constantly myself, not that I can help it. Indeed, I can't really stay on a single topic for very long periods of time either.

It's common sense that relaxation is helpful towards emotional fulfillment. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, and all that. Do you really want me to search for a study to prove this?

How do you justify comparing marijuana to sleeping, or "turning off your brain" as you put it, aside from a few slightly impaired cognitive abilities? I can do just about anything high that I can while sober: play the guitar, play video games, watch movies, etc. It doesn't make me forget things, but rather, helps me relax while thinking about and doing the exact same things. I could have held this exact same debate while under cannabis's influence.
Tue, March 6th, 2007   #96
Ryan
Tyrone Slothrop, Esq.

It's not like turning your brain off, be it cannabis or alcohol, if it's moderated. Two beers, or a joint, and you just have your brain tethered to the earth instead of planted.

I think it's quite a nice feeling myself, though I haven't smoked in a very long time.
Tue, March 6th, 2007   #97
Sacred Jellybean

When you make statements comparing it to shutting off your brain, this is where the "don't knock it until you've tried it" complaint comes in. Would you benefit from reading a book on riding a bike in the same way that you would when actually riding it?

R-(Triple T!!)-an: If you're ever in the area, I'll smoke you out.
Tue, March 6th, 2007   #98
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

I wasn't really making the jump to "turning off your brain", I was talking about relaxation using an expression. I'm disarming the idea that you would need that to relax. Emotions are good to keep under control though. Panic is dangerous, and all that. (On a lighter note, it's fun being in a family with so many emotionally driven sorts, by which I mean they "feel" their way through situations, by which I mean there's lots of really idiotic misunderstandinds and shouting matches and bad decisions involving health care.

Anyway, I don't know what you philosophize about, I was just joking. It basically stems from the fact I've never heard a single philosophic comment that wasn't just totally full of itself and of no actual merit to anyone.

I'm pretty sure an ambulance can get you to that hospital a lot faster than your own car. I know I'd rather call one than trust an intoxicated friend to get me there. Here's a fun one. The thing is, if you didn't DO drugs, you would ALWAYS be in a good condition to drive. I can toss that whole "what if there was a medical emergency" scenario right back at you. It's one of those "reversible arguments". Like, when someone says "I don't get why you don't just lend me your liscene! It's not a big deal!" vs "I don't get why you just NEED me to give this to you. It's no big deal.".

MONTEL WILLIAMS swears by it? Well he's a BRILLIANT scientist! I mean he certainly knows what he's talking about, he has ACCURATE psychic Sylvia Brown on every week after all!

Anyway, the medicinal effect is basically pain relief. I know you want it to be a miracle drug. I mean, lazyfatbum is convinced that beer is the secret of "finding yourself" and wine drinkers sure love reminding me that wine can help lower blood pressure (which is certainly worth the destroyed liver).

Again, I don't really mind if you do this. I find it weird that you keep calling it "cannabis". I don't mind calling it by slang.

At any rate, as I said my example was pure anecdote, which is of course not based in evidence at all. That's why I linked to that report. I already said it isn't as strong an effect, or really very close at all, to that of driving drunk.
Tue, March 6th, 2007   #99
Sacred Jellybean

Quote:
I'm disarming the idea that you would need that to relax.

I don't recall ever stating that I NEED it to relax. However, I prefer it to relax.
Quote:
Emotions are good to keep under control though. Panic is dangerous, and all that.

It's also sometimes good to experience thought patterns an atypical fashion . Panic and dangerous emotions running out-of-control has never been a problem for me.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure an ambulance can get you to that hospital a lot faster than your own car.

It depends on the distance, and other factors.
Quote:
I know I'd rather call one than trust an intoxicated friend to get me there. Here's a fun one. The thing is, if you didn't DO drugs, you would ALWAYS be in a good condition to drive. I can toss that whole "what if there was a medical emergency" scenario right back at you. It's one of those "reversible arguments". Like, when someone says "I don't get why you don't just lend me your liscene! It's not a big deal!" vs "I don't get why you just NEED me to give this to you. It's no big deal.".

It was admittedly a lame example to begin with.
Quote:
MONTEL WILLIAMS swears by it? Well he's a BRILLIANT scientist! I mean he certainly knows what he's talking about, he has ACCURATE psychic Sylvia Brown on every week after all!

I don't know anything of his schedule of guests, having no interest in seeing him myself. However, why is it that a user of a particular pain reliever must be a doctor to most accurately know which medication works most efficiently for him? After all, if he reported to his doctor problems he was experiencing with medication A, the doctor would simply prescribe medication B. It doesn't matter if it's Montel Williams or someone much less notorious. I was simply trying to point out a popular example of an ill person who reportedly receives the best results from using marijuana as a medication.
Quote:
Anyway, the medicinal effect is basically pain relief.

That, and increasing appetite.
Quote:
I know you want it to be a miracle drug.

To be quite honest, it doesn't matter much to me whether it has medical value or not. There's strong enough evidence to show that it's level of harm hardly merits legislation banning it, particularly when there are much more destructive, legal alternatives. I was simply trying to dispel the myth that marijuana has no medicinal value, and that currently legal, prescription drugs will ALWAYS be superior. It may be more anecdotal evidence, but the fact that it's a personal testimony (similar to those witnessed by others who use medical marijuana) and not "a friend of a friend" helps it carry a bit more weight.
Quote:
Again, I don't really mind if you do this. I find it weird that you keep calling it "cannabis". I don't mind calling it by slang.

Certain terms, ("pot", in particular) have negative connatations attached to them. "Cannabis" has a nice ring to it, and it's the scientific name, making it seem like I'm smart!
Wed, March 7th, 2007   #100
Sacred Jellybean

DJ: If you feel a doctor's testament to the medical benefits of cannabis is more convincing, allow me to quote a physician on the subject.
Quote:
In every life there occur seminal events that modify the seemingly established trajectory of one's personal history. For me, three of the four big ones were, in chronological order, the decision to go to medical school, the extraordinary good fortune of meeting the woman I married, and the gift of children. The fourth was my improbable encounter with cannabis, an event that divided my life into two eras; the before cannabis era, and the cannabis era (my son David refers to these phases of my life as BC and AD for before cannabis and after dope). My cannabis era began to unfold in 1967. As the senior author of a book on schizophrenia, I found myself with what I estimated would be two to three relatively free months before my co-authors would finish their chapters. Because I had become concerned that so many young people were using the terribly dangerous drug marijuana, I decided to use the time to review the medical literature so that I could write a reasonably objective and scientifically sound paper on the harmfulness of this substance. Young people were ignoring the warnings of the government, but perhaps some would seriously consider a well-documented review of the available data. So I began my systematic review of the medical and scientific literature bearing on the toxicity -- mental and physical -- of marijuana. It never occurred to me then that there were other dimensions of this drug that warranted exploration.

During my initial foray into this literature I discovered, to my astonishment, that I had to seriously question what I believed I knew about cannabis. As I began to appreciate that what I thought I understood was largely based on myths, old and new, I realized how little my training in science and medicine had protected me against this misinformation. I had become not just a victim of a disinformation campaign, but because I was a physician, one of its agents as well.

http://www.marijuana-uses.com/essays/001.html

This is an excerpt from one of the many essays written by Dr. Lester Grinspoon, a medical marijuana advocate who initially set out to write an objective paper on the harms of cannabismarijuana.
Thu, March 8th, 2007   #101
alien space marine
Holy Macaroni

I actually found a site that might add some surprising new arguments too the pro Marijuana band.

But use of this drug goes back to antiquity in fact many early Christians and Jewish sects used Cannabis for religious purposes , The Ethiopian orthodox church today actually uses it in the belief that Solomon passed on some secrets of the Jewish priesthood to the queen of Sheba and his many children he had with her,For some reason Marijuana use is involved in it.

Another weird Afro Judeo christian sect practicing polygamy and belief in unorthodox scriptures that devout to Solomon, Have heavy Marijuana use, In the Caribbean the group called the Machabees aka Solomites.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_Jesus_use_marijuana

Found weird cult that is trying to break prohibition on the grounds of religious freedom.

Marijuana is used by Hindus, Zoroastrians numerous other people today and in past.

The founding fathers grew hemp farms down in Virginia , Today have so much as one molecule of any to do with weed regardless of wither or not it had potent material still present in it gets baned.
Thu, March 8th, 2007   #102
Sacred Jellybean

Quote:
The founding fathers grew hemp farms down in Virginia , Today have so much as one molecule of any to do with weed regardless of wither or not it had potent material still present in it gets baned.

Indeed, hemp was a large economic cornerstone our founding fathers, but as far as I know, they didn't know of any psychoactive properties of cannabis. In case anyone doesn't know, hemp is a strain of cannabis with THC percentage too low to reap any benefits of altering one's consciousness. It was used primarily for its fibers to make into fabrics (rope and clothes, for instance) and paper. Hemp should be legal, but the problem is, it looks identical to marijuana (cannabis sativa and cannabis indica). Right now, there's a bill going through congress to legalize hemp farming.

Probably the most well-known religious sect of Christianity to use marijuana are Rastafarians. The religion (according to wikipedia) emerged in Jamaica and accepts former emperor of Ethiopia, Haile Selassie I, as God incarnate (or "Jah").
Mon, August 13th, 2007   #103
Dark Lord Neo
Dark Choujin

Send a message via MSN to Dark Lord Neo

Something I find amusing is that this whole topic was started with "Recently Canada just decriminalized pot smoking." which actually never happened.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: