Tendo City:  The Cake Is A Lie!  

Go Back  Tendo City: The Cake Is A Lie! > Tendo City: Metropolitan District > Tendo City

1 Week Ago   #281
Great Rumbler
Tendocity's Resident Accountant and Amateur Writer

Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler

It's fun watching you guys struggle to pry answers out of me on a subject that can be easily answered with a five second trip to Google.

EBA changed the characters, storylines, and songs. Only the underlying game formula was left alone.

Read my web log.
1 Week Ago   #282
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

I recognize them, of course... haven't played EBA or either Ouendan of course, though. Oh course they look different from the EBA characters, EBA has different characters.
Quote:
The Ouendan guys are kind of like the A-Team. They go around helping people in trouble. Except, instead of firing off hundreds of rounds of ammunition but never actually hitting anyone, they perform inspirational dances.

Yes, which is why they've been called cheerleaders.
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
1 Week Ago   #283
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

I don't get "answers" from google. I get pages that have that word on it maybe. Rather than sift through that, I just think it's easier to ask questions of people. You know, human interaction. I mean isn't it NORMAL when someone brings up a subject you've never heard of to ask them to describe it?
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
1 Week Ago   #284
Great Rumbler
Tendocity's Resident Accountant and Amateur Writer

Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler

Read my web log.
6 Days Ago   #285
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Congrats you win the egg hunt? I still don't see why you can't just politely answer a question.

"Argh! I hate to type SO MUCH, but I don't mind editing and uploading images at every possible opportunity!"

Anyway, latest news? A frickin' STAGE EDITOR! You can also apparently upload them to Nintendo and they send you their favorite pick EACH DAY.
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
5 Days Ago   #286
EdenMaster
If It's Not About Brawl, Chances Are I Don't Care.

Send a message via AIM to EdenMaster Send a message via MSN to EdenMaster

Wow. This one I did not see coming, but I'm thrilled about it. Imagine the possibilities. And a brand new stage to try EVERY DAMN DAY.

Oh wow, this is so awesome. By far the best news I've heard about Brawl in some time.

February can't get here soon enough!

104 Days!

5 Days Ago   #287
hephaestus
Tendite

And lo, Samus Aran will fight Princess Zelda on a scale replica of my penis.

No matter who loses the fight... I win.

Big mushy tits? A dead fat guy, Mountains of tiny bunnies? 3 dead fat guys, Pyramid Head's helmet? My penis wearing Pyramid Head's helmet surrounded by mountains of tiny bunnies. Oh yes, this is a good day.
5 Days Ago   #288
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

Quote:

Congrats you win the egg hunt? I still don't see why you can't just politely answer a question.

"Argh! I hate to type SO MUCH, but I don't mind editing and uploading images at every possible opportunity!"

Hah.... good point... it'd probably have been easier to just explain it than go to that trouble.

He's right that finding out what Ouendan is wouldn't exactly have been hard, though.
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
5 Days Ago   #289
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Manifested Intolerance? Give Georgia a little credit heph!
2 Days Ago   #290
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Wait... so with both Snake and Fox in the same game, here's my question. Who will have the more dramatic death? What's more dramatic?

1. FOOOOOOOX!
2. SNAAAAAAKE!
1 Day Ago   #291
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Remember how I said I think they should bring back the character entrance animations from the first SSB since Melee just had them all beam in the same way?

According to the site, they've brought them back! Yay!

Last edited by Dark Jaguar : 1 Day Ago at 02:44 PM.
1 Day Ago   #292
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

That's cool, that was nice in the first game... now are they also going to un-nerf Kirby?
1 Day Ago   #293
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Yeah, they should nerf warlocks instead.

Imperial Officer: Lord Vader, the rebels have fled the ice planet of Hoth. After going to the swamp planet of Dagobah, Skywalker has rejoined his friends on the desert world of Tatooine. And now the rebel fleet is massing for an attack on the forest moon of Endor.
Darth Vader: I sense a great disturbance in the Force.
Imperial Officer: My lord?
Darth Vader: How else can so many worlds be totally covered with only one terrain type without regard to latitudinal variations?
1 Day Ago   #294
EdenMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
That's cool, that was nice in the first game... now are they also going to un-nerf Kirby?

Un...Nerf?

?

22 Hours Ago   #295
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Welcome to the strange and sordid world of "patch slang". You know patches. They say things like:

Increased damage from Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch
The Brinstar Depths stage will now rotate more slowly
Healing bonus from heart containers has been increased by 30%
Duration of Star Power has been decreased by 2 seconds
Kirby's Stone form now reduces damage for the duration

Well here's where the slang comes in.

Nerf means to reduce in power, as in finding that a character/class/NPC is too overpowering so certain aspects are "nerfed" to give more balance.

The opposite expression, "buff", refers to boosting a stat instead if something is found to be too weak. Buff is also used to refer to status effects that make someone more powerful. Debuff is used to refer to status effects that weaken someone.

So yeah, now it's being used with Smash Bros. Next thing you'll know you'll hear shouts for "LFG Tank 4 FS", which would mean they need someone to take all the hits for a group in Fourside. Hah! Well, not really.
19 Hours Ago   #296
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Console games don't usually have balance patches, so I guess people who don't play PC games might not recognize the term... still it's been around for long enough that I'd have thought anyone (who is a gamer) would know it.
11 Hours Ago   #297
EdenMaster

I play PC games, and I've stiff never heard the term. Why not just say "weaken"?

Now "buff" I've heard. But nerf? it just sounds odd. Like shmup.

10 Hours Ago   #298
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

I'm that way with some of this slang. Some of it just grates across the spine when ya hear it. This isn't one of them really. I got used to it pretty quick. Nerf is a word they use for exactly the reason you picked that picture. It's a soft thing. Shmup? Now that's a retarded word. I mean how do you even pronounce that? Isn't side scrolling shooter, or SSS, sufficient? It sounds ugly, like "blog". So unattractive to the ears...

Last edited by Dark Jaguar : 10 Hours Ago at 11:05 PM.
10 Hours Ago   #299
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Quote:

I play PC games, and I've stiff never heard the term. Why not just say "weaken"?

Now "buff" I've heard. But nerf? it just sounds odd. Like shmup.

"Buff" has two different definitions, really. The more common one is a skill that boosts player stats or resistances in some way -- Bless or somesuch. Nerfing refers instead to game balance changes -- changes made to the stats by a patch. Really, the two terms are unrelated. Perhaps it's sometimes used instead of debuff for skills that reduce character stats, etc, but usually it's just used for balance changes. Buff, however, refers to both balance changes (things increased) and skills (that improve)...
Quote:
I'm that way with some of this slang. Some of it just grates across the spine when ya hear it. This isn't one of them really. I got used to it pretty quick. Nerf is a word they use for exactly the reason you picked that picture. It's a soft thing. Shmup? Now that's a retarded word. I mean how do you even pronounce that? Isn't side scrolling shooter, or SSS, sufficient? It sounds ugly, like "blog". So unattractive to the ears...

"Shooter" is a fine term, but it's really not descriptive enough. 'Shooter' can refer to a lot of kinds of games, while 'shmup' has been taken to have one specific definition: "2d or 2.5d horizontal or vertical auto-scrolling shooting games". Into-the-screen autoscrolling 3d titles like Star Fox don't count, free-flying or moving 3d shooters don't count, stuff like Contra doesn't count... the term is a subject of some debate, admittedly, but among shmup fans most of those basics are usually agreed to (unless someone wants to redefine shmup to include a wider range of the types of shooting games that are out there).

What's wrong with using a word that specifically describes the situation or event at hand?
47 Minutes Ago   #300
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

No problem, unless the word is UGLY.
27 Minutes Ago   #301
EdenMaster

Every time I say it I feel like I'm vomiting letters.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: