Tendo City: Tickling your prostate since 1999!  

Go Back  Tendo City: Tickling your prostate since 1999! > Tendo City: Metropolitan District > Ramble City
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search New Posts Mark Forums Read

Curtains Down

Default Miracle

I think this is kinda retarted...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0349825/

So, USA wins one gold medal 24 years ago and you decide to make a movie about it? Meh.
Old Mon, January 12th, 2004
The Beautiful World

Posts: 18,351 Great Rumbler has altered his reputation through the admin panelGreat Rumbler has altered his reputation through the admin panelGreat Rumbler has altered his reputation through the admin panelGreat Rumbler has altered his reputation through the admin panelGreat Rumbler has altered his reputation through the admin panelGreat Rumbler has altered his reputation through the admin panelGreat Rumbler has altered his reputation through the admin panelGreat Rumbler has altered his reputation through the admin panelGreat Rumbler has altered his reputation through the admin panelGreat Rumbler has altered his reputation through the admin panelGreat Rumbler has altered his reputation through the admin panel
Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler

I think it had more to do with HOW we won it.

Instead of the 1980 Olympic games, they should make a game about the '72 Olympic Men's Basketball game. Of course they wouldn't since we lost [The Soviets cheated], but it would be an interesting movie to say the least.
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

If it was Canada you'd love the fact that there is a movie, admit it...
Curtains Down

I ain't saying nothing.
Big Ben throws the horns!

Posts: 7,730 Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Haha.
Attached Images  

My Roethlisberger avatar is perfectly in-sync with the following songs:

Duran Duran - The Reflex
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Mov...acle/index.html
Old Thu, February 5th, 2004
Infrequent Poster

Posts: 5,613 DMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panel
Send a message via AIM to DMiller

It isn't the fact that we won the Gold Medal that the 1980 hockey team is so celebrated. It's because of what was going on in America at the time and the hockey team provided a great relief and also some pride in the middle of the Cold War. I don't even know if they will show the Gold Medal game against Finland in the movie since the game against the Soviets is what everyone cares about.
G.O.B.: They’re pills that create a sort of temporary forgettingness. So if somebody finds out how you do a trick, you just give ’em one of these, and they forget the whole thing. It’s a mainstay of the magician’s toolkit, like how clowns always have a rag soaked in ether.
Tobias: G.O.B., this is Flunitrazepam. It’s a roofie.
Lucille: Those are illegal.
G.O.B.: Shut up, Mom. Don’t make me give you another one of these.

Last edited by DMiller : Thu, February 5th, 2004 at 08:01 PM.
Old Thu, February 5th, 2004
Curtains Down

Aight, I saw the movie. And um, the best way to describe? The Mighty Ducks 2. Only with older players. And, the Soviets instead of Iceland.

I also read up on some trivia for the movie, which is pretty funny.
Quote:
During filming at a residence of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, rowdy residents disturbed filming by hanging USSR flags in the residence windows, reporting the shoot to the fire marshal, yelling distracting taunts at the actors, and even stealing 'Kurt Russell' 's chair
Quote:
To rally the crowd of Canadian extras to cheer for the American Olympic team, First Assistant Director Pete Whyte held up a Canadian flag and skated around the ice of Vancouver's PNE Agrodome, waving it wildly.

Oh yeah, the stand-in goalie for Craig was Bill Ranford, Edmonton Oiler great, and a member of the Oilers all-star Alumni team. I saw him at the Heritage Classic! Whooooooooo.
Old Fri, February 13th, 2004
King Kong

Posts: 2,717 alien space marine is on a distinguished road

Canada makes TV movies often about Hockey game history , I cant see why this movie waisnt made for tv too?

yes the Russians are horrible cheats and they now realize that they cant fool the Refurees.
Old Sat, February 14th, 2004
Infrequent Poster

Posts: 5,613 DMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panelDMiller has altered his reputation through the admin panel
Send a message via AIM to DMiller

I just saw the movie tonight, and although I did feel some pride watching the game against the Soviets, for the most part it was a pretty average sports movie. I guess it's because I wasn't born during the 1980 Olympics because even Chicago sports columnist Jay Mariotti said he cried during the movie, which is something coming from one of the most pessimistic columnists in the most pessimistic sports city. Anyway, it wasn't a bad movie, but it just didn't live up to my expectations.
G.O.B.: They’re pills that create a sort of temporary forgettingness. So if somebody finds out how you do a trick, you just give ’em one of these, and they forget the whole thing. It’s a mainstay of the magician’s toolkit, like how clowns always have a rag soaked in ether.
Tobias: G.O.B., this is Flunitrazepam. It’s a roofie.
Lucille: Those are illegal.
G.O.B.: Shut up, Mom. Don’t make me give you another one of these.
Old Sat, February 14th, 2004
Big Ben throws the horns!

Posts: 7,730 Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond reputeRyan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien space marine
Canada makes TV movies often about Hockey game history , I cant see why this movie waisnt made for tv too?

yes the Russians are horrible cheats and they now realize that they cant fool the Refurees.
That's because Canada has an extensive hockey history. America really doesn't. Quantitatively this game wasn't that important, we lost the next round anyway. But it is probably one of the few hockey-related moments any non-fan (who is old enough) would be able to recall offhand. Qualitatively though, we were incredible underdogs and we pulled off the impossible. It's both national pride and sports pride, we beat our largest enemy at something they were much better at.

See, this sort of thing only works when it's an underdog-come-overachiever story, one very rare to boot (who remembers any US Olympic hockey teams before or after 1980?). That's why it's a feature release and not a TV docudrama.

My Roethlisberger avatar is perfectly in-sync with the following songs:

Duran Duran - The Reflex
Old Sun, February 15th, 2004

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: