Tendo City: We're not terrific, but we're competent!  

Go Back  Tendo City: We're not terrific, but we're competent! > Tendo City: Residential District > The Debate Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search New Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri, March 12th, 2004
The struggling artist

Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler
Default If peace broke out tomorrow...

Would you be happy?
There’s nothing quite as hard as writing a serious, cohesive sci-fi novel and I know this from experience. All that science stuff can be confusing. I’m still trying to figure out if the Earth really would become a desert if the moon were destroyed…
Currently playing: Metropolismania [PS2], Final Fantasy 3 [SNES], Robotrek [SNES], Doom 3 [PC]

I am the King of Rumbling!! Bow before my Rumbliness!

His Self-Declared Imperial Majesty

Send a message via AIM to Darunia

That's too vague---peace everywhere, as in no more war or even crime anywhere on Earth?

"too cars for evry home, a fish inn evry Pot , vote four me And ill bring you Thees!"
The struggling artist

Sure, why not?
There’s nothing quite as hard as writing a serious, cohesive sci-fi novel and I know this from experience. All that science stuff can be confusing. I’m still trying to figure out if the Earth really would become a desert if the moon were destroyed…
Currently playing: Metropolismania [PS2], Final Fantasy 3 [SNES], Robotrek [SNES], Doom 3 [PC]

lonely

Send a message via AIM to Weltall Send a message via MSN to Weltall

I'd hit it.
Attached Images  

The struggling artist

Jiggles with Anger!

Posts: 2,207 alien space marine is on a distinguished road

That leaves only one enemy left.

Those damned martians.

Killing your brain cells since 1986!
The struggling artist

And the Jovians!!

Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

Humans are violent. Peace is impossible, on that scale.
Currently Playing: 1. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (PC) 2. Mega Man Anniversary Collection (GC) 3. Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal (PC) 4. Quest for Glory III: Winds of War (PC) 5. Icewind Dale II (PC)
lonely

All living things are competitive, and as violent as they have the capacity to be. It's not just humans.

Resident Schizophrenic

Posts: 12,915 Dark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among men

Yeah, ever watch two monkey packs fight it out? Ever seen a killer whale drag a seal off the beach and bounce it around like a beach ball in an OBVIOUS attempt JUST to have fun with another killer whale and they never even eat it, just kinda get bored and toss it away? Humans just are smarter about it. All other creatures with brains are cruel in their own rights.
Old Sat, March 13th, 2004
lonely

Even ones without brains. Like, a weed that chokes grass, or a bacterium that destroys whatever it touches.

Jiggles with Anger!

But the thing is if it waisnt for the killer whales , Polar bears, Sharks the seals would continue to overpopulate and drain the fishing stocks and eventually they would eat themselves out of house and home , Finally the seals would starve too death.

Right now the seals are a scourge on new found land , The cod fish are endangerd and the rising seal population is eating them all.New found landers would love too go and start hunting those critters again, But they cant thanks too tree huging hippies who think the seals are cute and have no understanding of natural balance.

Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

Natural balance... yeah, that is important. That's why I'm not against hunting deer, for instance. I know that since we killed off the wolves we have to hunt deer or they will overpopulate and eat all the food and then starve... not good. Keeping them in balance is important and at this point only hunting can do that...

Humans, however. We are smarter than any other animals, so you'd like to think we could do more about this... and we could if we tried, but a lot of people don't try very hard.
Currently Playing: 1. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (PC) 2. Mega Man Anniversary Collection (GC) 3. Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal (PC) 4. Quest for Glory III: Winds of War (PC) 5. Icewind Dale II (PC)
The struggling artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
Humans are violent. Peace is impossible, on that scale.

I never said it was a realistic goal.

Jiggles with Anger!

They did a experiment in canada , PEI is a small province that is serperated by sea and isolated from the mainland in regards too animal migration.

They wanted too see how ,am not sure if it was deer or Moose or somthing like that would do if they were introduced into a enclosed section of PEI which had no predators or anything to reduce the population,around 8 females and 12 males were choosen to create a good gene pool and then they left them too live freely in the enclosed area of 16 acres.

If you have ever been too PEI it isnt a very rocky region, It is mostly all grassland and hills.

So the deer population went from 20 too 80 and then by three years there were hundreds of them . Eventually they picked all the grass and feilds clean and then large portions of the deer/moose, started too become under nurished since the land didnt create enough food to support the growing population and then hundreds died in the winter and the population shrank all the way back too 30-40 .

lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
Natural balance... yeah, that is important. That's why I'm not against hunting deer, for instance. I know that since we killed off the wolves we have to hunt deer or they will overpopulate and eat all the food and then starve... not good. Keeping them in balance is important and at this point only hunting can do that...

Humans, however. We are smarter than any other animals, so you'd like to think we could do more about this... and we could if we tried, but a lot of people don't try very hard.
We're smarter than any animal, by far, but we're still far from perfect.

The only way world peace could even hope to exist is if everyone were a mindless, conformed zombie. Who would want to live like that?

Sure, world peace SOUNDS good, but it would make existence extraordinarily boring.

Resident Schizophrenic

Posts: 12,915 Dark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among menDark Jaguar is a God among men

Not by too far mind you. On a pure technical standpoint, the difference between a dog's brain and a computer is so much greater than the difference between a dog's brain and a human's brain. It's still a big jump mind you, but it's more in the sense of design than power.

I think this was supposed to be universal peace, so the martians would be in on it too, but I still wouldn't trust them... Being all "I don't actually exist" and such...
Jerks...

Weltall, I was actually saying that humans aren't the only ones capable of cruel malicious behavior, not just that we aren't the only ones capable of violence.

Ya know Weltall, if that's the case then when do we humans ever find a time of utter peace? In heaven for sure, but would we all have to become mindless zombies for peace to work in heaven? Can it be possible that anyone could fall even while up there, and what happens to them? I'd hate to think like some Christians I know in that they think some will still sin in Heaven and when they do they are instantly sent to hell. An eternity later, no one's left up there. What would the point of salvation be if total peace wasn't possible?

For that matter, are you sure total peace is as boring as you assume? Personally I've never been a fan of conflict, nor am I bored when none is around. I strive to improve myself but aren't out to beat anyone. Is your idea of complete peace a world where no one is playing competitive games? Well, I can still imagine a way to be happy without having to compete with anyone, and still have some events and such (picnics are fun, as is flying kites and such, there's lots to do without competition), but I don't consider competing on friendly terms to be anti-peace at all. When it gets too far and people start actually getting mad at the other person, or like people who actually HATE the other team BECAUSE they are competting (you know, utterly forgetting the point and should be shot?), then it's like that, but not all competition is like that.
Defender of the Realm

We're smarter than the rest of the animals sure but as everyone knows are far from perfect and animal instincts still have a lot of importance...
Resident Schizophrenic

Which is exactly why I plan on replacing my body with a big tub of nanobots.
Jiggles with Anger!

The bible says a large crowd will stay on earth and live as healthy imortal human beings, I think that is a better existence then some fairy with a harp.

Resident Schizophrenic

What on Earth are you talking about? The Bible says nothing about people becoming angels. They are a seperate race. For that matter, peace will be on Earth as well as Heaven. Also, where in the Bible is a harp ever once mentioned?

Nanotech, that's the life for me.
Defender of the Realm

The smartest animals are some of the great apes. They can be as smart as a young (what was it, 3 or 4 years old?) human child...
Resident Schizophrenic

No, WE are the smartest, then dolphins, then apes. Poachers need to be hunting them instead of stupider animals like the elephant. I wouldn't put any of those animals as being as smart as a 3 or 4 year old kid though. They can play video games at that age and talk, and CREATE.
Defender of the Realm

According to some TV shows I've seen anyway some apes (Chimps maybe? But some others too... remember Koko the gorilla...) are as smart as young children. Remember they can learn several hundred words (I think) in sign language... but at some point, they can't learn any more. Like us but at a far lower level... that's all any animal is...

As for dolphins, they are obviously also smart but I think exactly how smart is contraversial... of course the fact that they are in the oceans sure doesn't help that much.
Old Sun, March 14th, 2004
Resident Schizophrenic

They can learn individual words, so can some birds (and not just mimicry, but meaning), but grammar completely elludes them. Grammar is like super important for our success. The only concept more important to that is elcutletack, which is a concept that humans could never understand. Um, I think I've said too much...
Jiggles with Anger!

I think they successfuly taught over a 100 sign language gestures to gorrilias.

Defender of the Realm

Yeah. As for birds... I don't know. I have yet to be convinced that they can do anything more than just mimick the sounds with no understanding (of what they are saying certainly)...

But some great apes are as smart as a young child. That's not too smart on human terms but compared to anything else out there...

Wow--that's amazing. It's almost like they're our distant relatives or something. In fact, if the Good Book didn't say otherwise, I'd almost think that humans were the evolutionary advancement of apes. Oh well.

"too cars for evry home, a fish inn evry Pot , vote four me And ill bring you Thees!"
lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darunia

Wow--that's amazing. It's almost like they're our distant relatives or something. In fact, if the Good Book didn't say otherwise, I'd almost think that humans were the evolutionary advancement of apes. Oh well.
Eh... we're not the evolutionary advancement of apes, regardless. The common belief among evolutionaries is that apes and humans are spinoffs of a common ancestor.

Regardless. My sarcastic lampoon is still effective.

lonely

Not really, as you're assuming that every Christian interprets the Bible verbatim. Many do not. I am one of them.

Old Mon, March 15th, 2004
Jiggles with Anger!

Parrots can say 50-100 phrases and even hole songs, Does that mean were all fucking tweety bird decendants!All it is imitation and repetition.
Ive even heard of dogs who can moan words in english.

Here is a Qoute from the New scientist magazine which is from the UK.
Quote:
A recent analysis of the DNA of chimpanzees and orangutans, As well as certain monkeys and macaques,Has revealed that their genetic makeup is not as similar to man's as once thought. "Large differences in DNA, Not small ones seperate apes and monkeys from both humans and each other". There are large deletions and insertions sprinkled throughout the chromosome", Explains Kelly Frazer of perlegen sciences, The california,U.S.A.,Company that did the analysis. New Scientist characterized the differences as a "yawning gap [that] divides monkeys and us"

http://www.newscientist.com/

What the hell is with you people---you scoff and call it rediculous to believe that humans evolve from apes, but it's completely acceptably believable to believe that all-powerful deities spawn from nothing, only to disappear?

Something good happens = Thanks, God! He's always there for us!

Something bad happens = We must've made God mad--this is our fault.
(or) ...That's Satan for you!

Resident Schizophrenic

Darunia, what the hell are you talking about? Where do you get these ideas? Christians don't believe God spawned from nothing and then suddenly vanished. Maybe you assume we'd HAVE to believe that, but whatever...

Your other statements are just blind assumptions and generalizations. Yeesh, when we get into a Christian discussion, just stay out if you can't be nice. Go on, get out of here. That's right, it's a horrible conspiracy, whatever, just go.

ASM, I was not once saying anything about us COMING from birds. I'm saying they DO have that ability and it's proven. It's a very tough thing for them to do, and they can't comprehend more than an individual word's meaning (so they can't comprehend grammar, and thus won't ever be able to understand the full meaning of phrases as we do, such as "man bites dog", where it might know what a man is, a dog is, and what the action of biting is, but it couldn't know the relationship is between those words.
Jiggles with Anger!

Quote:

but it's completely acceptably believable to believe that all-powerful deities spawn from nothing, only to disappear?

How did reality suddenly appear ? If you believe in evolution then you most also believe that things spawned out of nothing,The earth just out of pure luck of trillions odds didnt turn into a acid furnace like venus, The earth could hold life and some how little tiny complexe microbes appeared and then life spread from there.

When it comes too the very start of life down to little tiny parasites , Scientist have failed too give a solid explination as too how even this low form of life started, They have tested in labs trying too reproduce basic evolution using protein and ameno acids they have all failed and havent even given just a slight infinitesimal sign of change.

Is the idea that it was crafted and engineered by a highly inteligent powerful entity any less possible.Many even think aliens created humans but who am I to say their crazy

Dark Jaguar has said everything that needs too be said.I salute him for being balanced and non judgemental.

Where do you get these ideas? Christians don't believe God spawned from nothing and then suddenly vanished.

Oh, that's right, he never appeared or was created---he's ALWAYS been. I forgot. That's far more credible.

Your other statements are just blind assumptions and generalizations.

YOU'RE calling what I believe 'assumptions'...?

Go on, get out of here. That's right, it's a horrible conspiracy, whatever, just go.

*Sulks and pouts*

How did reality suddenly appear ?

How did God appear--neither can be proven. I find it easier to believe that "reality" suddenly spawned than an omnipowerful, all-knowing, eternal being has ALWAYS existed.

When it comes too the very start of life down to little tiny parasites , Scientist have failed too give a solid explination as too how even this low form of life started, They have tested in labs trying too reproduce basic evolution using protein and ameno acids they have all failed and havent even given just a slight infinitesimal sign of change.

I see. So, a god must've created it. Am I talking to a mature adult in the 21st century, or a ignorant Sumerian priest. Millenia had passed and humanity still turns to the boogy man, demons and gods to explain the inexplicable.

Is the idea that it was crafted and engineered by a highly inteligent powerful entity any less possible.

Yes---highly so.

Many even think aliens created humans but who am I to say their crazy

You're not crazy, you're ignorant. They're ignorant and crazy. And I'm just crazy (but not ignorant.)

Dark Jaguar has said everything that needs too be said. I salute him for being balanced and non judgemental.

In order for someone to be unbiased and non judgemental, they'd have to be without any affiliation in the matter at question. Since he's a Christian, he is neitehr balanced nor judgemental.

The struggling artist

I'd reply to that, but that's absolutely nothing to be gained from putting myself into the middle of this. And there's also the little fact that nothing good will EVER come out of discussions like these.

Resident Schizophrenic

Actually ASM, you're wrong. I was being VERY unbalanced and WAS judgemental there. My point, put a little too bluntly, was that that was more or less a conversation over the finer points of things among us Christians. We weren't exactly out to debate the actual notion of believing it in the first place. Darunia however was out for blood.

And Darunia, as for you, you assumed to know what we think, so yes I am claiming you have blind assumptions. This has nothing to do with how everything came to be. You assume too much, likely because you had to sit through speeches by fundamentalists or something. While I weep for that if that's the case, bear in mind you can't judge the majority of us by the actions of those who, as far as I can tell by their behavior, likely aren't Christians themselves.
Resident Schizophrenic

And to take GR's advice, I'll stay out of this no matter your response. Not like something that centers around blind faith such as religion can really be proven anyway, so why try?
Tendite

Darunia = Attention Whore

Just ignore him. Eventually he'll tire himself out.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: