Tendo City:  The Cake Is A Lie!  

Go Back  Tendo City: The Cake Is A Lie! > Tendo City: Residential District > SAVE TENDO CITY

Wed, August 4th, 2004   #1
Great Rumbler
Tendocity's Resident Accountant and Amateur Writer

Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler
Default Doom 3

Despite the fact that my computer is an old relic that barely fit the minimum system requirements I've managed to log in about an hour of Doom 3. Doom 3 to put it one way is Half-Life on steriods. It has that feel to it, seemingly random scripted mini-events are everywhere [box falling when a platform collapses, an imp bust through a staircase as you attempt to climb it, ect] and it looks very good even with all the settings turned down to the bare minimum.

Doom 3 is fun. Crazy fun. And, although I'm not really a good person to judge this, very scary. After things go bad there are a lot of areas that have poor lighting with many parts of the room in total darkness and as we all know that's where scary things like to lurk. And they do. But sometimes they don't. Sometimes you think there's something hiding in the darkness but it turns out it's only a barrel or a dead body. Except it's not quite dead. You have a flashlight but you can't use a gun at the same time, so you have to decide which is more important at that particular time. Also there's all sorts of noises that might be a monster hiding somewhere waiting to jump out from behind a grate or it could just be the building shifting from slight tremors. It has a very moody atmosphere that'll keep you one edge and I guarantee that you'll jump when that imp comes out of the stairs.

The graphics are amazing, the best I've seen and that's with all the settings turned down. Even turned down the framefrate is a bit choppy, but it's decent enough to play. Nearly everything casts a shadow and the lighting is simply amazing. There's also lots of bumpmapping. The character models are very well done as are the monsters; the lip-syncing is also very realistic.

In conclusion, Doom 3 is crazy-awesome so don't listen to all those haters.

Read my web log.
Wed, August 4th, 2004   #2
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

Like OB1, perhaps?

I'm not getting it. Never planned to, nothing I've seen changes my mind. Notwithstanding the fact that it won't run on my PC, even if it did I still wouldn't be buying it.
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
Wed, August 4th, 2004   #3
Great Rumbler

Quote:
Like OB1, perhaps?

OB1's had a lapse of sanity if he doesn't think Doom 3 is an awesome game. Maybe after he plays the full, completed version he'll think differently.
Quote:
Notwithstanding the fact that it won't run on my PC

It barely runs on mine.
Quote:
I'm not getting it. Never planned to, nothing I've seen changes my mind.

You're missing out, definitely. To be truthful I didn't buy it either, my brother did. Thank goodness for No-CD cracks.

Read my web log.
Wed, August 4th, 2004   #4
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

Quote:

OB1's had a lapse of sanity if he doesn't think Doom 3 is an awesome game. Maybe after he plays the full, completed version he'll think differently.

He seems to have acquired a version somehow, posted a screenshot in that other Doom 3 thread... complaining about what Asians look like in the game...
Quote:
It barely runs on mine.

No, no, isn't it only compatible with WinXP (and maybe 2000)?
Quote:

You're missing out, definitely. To be truthful I didn't buy it either, my brother did. Thank goodness for No-CD cracks.

"Buy" it? Oh, you just mean to avoid needing a CD in I'm sure...

But I really don't have interest in downloading it. I never downloaded that leak from E3 or whatever, for instance. Didn't really care enough. Same here. I'm not a big FPS fan you know... and if I was to get one it'd be either Jedi Knight II or Jedi Academy. And if I had both of those, Star Trek Elite Force 2.
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
Wed, August 4th, 2004   #5
Great Rumbler

Quote:
No, no, isn't it only compatible with WinXP (and maybe 2000)?

I haven't heard anything about that, but it's possible.

Read my web log.
Wed, August 4th, 2004   #6
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Penny Arcade has had an about face it seems. Apparently the game in motion is a lot better than single shots. I just bet that's what PA is saying though. I don't care how much the skin is suddenly sagging and moist on upside down spider heads.

I'll play the demo when it comes out (they invented shareware, they better make a demo), and then I'll decide. From what I'm hearing, I'll apparently change my mind, but we'll see. Technology and demons, mixed well, are cool and all, but putting rocket packs on a skeleton's shoulders is NOT a creative mixing, or even good art. Dr. Wily wouldn't even do something that cheesy, well, maybe that's giving Wily too much credit...
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
Wed, August 4th, 2004   #7
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

First, that's giving Wily way too much credit. He put a fan in a robot's chest, among many other things...
Quote:
I haven't heard anything about that, but it's possible.

I have. You could look on the box and make sure, but I've seen that mentioned on the net...

Yes, it looks like a very good FPS. But if I got a FPS I'd usually rather it be one about something I'm already interested in, like Star Wars...
Wed, August 4th, 2004   #8
Great Rumbler

It's like they combined the gameplay of Half-Life with the moody atmosphere of Silent Hill with the cheap thrills of Resident Evil. I would be playing it right now but it's too dark...

Read my web log.
Wed, August 4th, 2004   #9
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

... Play it anyway, then drive your car into a padded room and watch all the people in the asylum slowly surround you.
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
Wed, August 4th, 2004   #10
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

It's supposed to be really dark, GR. You have to turn out all the lights to see the screen, you see... ... seriously, I haven't seen any non-super-dark screenshots yet...

Gamespot review. 8.5.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom3/review.html
Wed, August 4th, 2004   #11
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

... I think he meant it's too dark outside, as in it's too scary... Is that right GR? ... GR?
Wed, August 4th, 2004   #12
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

He's gone, hiding under the bed...
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #13
Great Rumbler

I hate those imps. They'll jump out at you and attack you and then when you go around a corner and wait for them to come at you so you can blast 'em with the shotgun they go back into hiding!!

Read my web log.
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #14
UltraMarioMan
One time pooped in your yard and lied about it

I have no intrest in Doom 3. I admit it I'm a Half-Life nut.
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #15
Great Rumbler

None of you guys are going to buy Doom 3? What's wrong with you people?! Have you all gone mad?!

Read my web log.
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #16
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Quote:

I have the full, completed version of the game, and as soon as I can get this buggy piece of shit to stop freezing on me every five fucking minutes I'll get to see if it's any good. I can't believe id let this go gold with so many problems (and before you say "it's your computer", it's not, because message boards all over the place are flooded with complaints about lock-ups, sound problems, and other various bugs).
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #17
Great Rumbler

It's been running perfectly for me; no glitches, freezes, nothing.

Read my web log.
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #18
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

I MIGHT buy it if I like the demo that they SHOULD be releasing soon enough...
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #19
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Rumbler
It's been running perfectly for me; no glitches, freezes, nothing.

Like I said, for some people they've been lucky, but for most people they've experienced all sorts of bugs.
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #20
Great Rumbler

Old, busted computers = 1
Fancy, alienware computers = -2

Read my web log.
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #21
OB1
off to parts unknown...

I don't have an alienware, it's a custom-built PC.

I get these kinds of glitches all of the time:

Thu, August 5th, 2004   #22
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Well I've been playing more Doom 3. Haven't played for more than an hour, but so far it's okay. I laughed when the first flaming skull came at me. It was just so lame! Come on GR, don't tell me you that scared you.

The game is okay, about what I expected. Hopefully it gets much better.
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #23
Great Rumbler

Quote:
I laughed when the first flaming skull came at me. It was just so lame! Come on GR, don't tell me you that scared you.

Haha, no I don't think that part got me, but when that freaking imp came out of the stairs I jumped several feet.

I absolutely hate this game! There's dark corners everywhere!! And when faced with two directions it hard to decide which one is monster-free. I really hate those imps too, especially when you have to fight them in the dark!

Now I'm trying to get my dad to play, but he's not very good.
Quote:
Hopefully it gets much better.

According to some the middle part is kind of repetitive but the ending more than makes up for any shortcomings.

Read my web log.
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #24
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Please tell me the story isn't just about some scientists opening the portal to hell or something uber lame like that.
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #25
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4547.html
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #26
Great Rumbler

Quote:
Please tell me the story isn't just about some scientists opening the portal to hell or something uber lame like that.

I don't know about that, but apparently you actually have to go TO Hell to fight demons near the end.

Read my web log.
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #27
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Well that's kind of neat.

And DJ, I tried using that driver yesterday and it screwed up a bunch of stuff. Last time I use a beta patch. Thanks anyway.
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #28
Great Rumbler

They do tell you to use it at your own risk.

Read my web log.
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #29
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Yeah.
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #30
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Quote:

They are doing experiments, OB1! It can be controlled!

What Gamespot complains about is that the game isn't very hard (except for the last part), and they can't figure out why all of the people in the base are being killed if it's so easy to wipe out the demons... maybe it's on the hardest difficulty setting for everyone else?
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #31
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Heh, that's true.
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #32
Undertow
I'm special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Rumbler
None of you guys are going to buy Doom 3? What's wrong with you people?! Have you all gone mad?!

If I could meet the bare min, I would buy it for the PC. But I'm going to have to get it one the XBOX instead. =D

<3 <3 <3
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #33
Great Rumbler

Yeah, the other troops didn't last too long.

Another thing they complained about was that your guy doesn't have night-vision goggles in a place with very poor lighting, but I suppose the explanation for that is that the place is a dump and they don't have money for night-vision goggles...or training course for soldiers on how to use a flashlight and gun at the same time...

Read my web log.
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #34
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

GR, it's a stupid gameplay trick to get you to use the flashlight with no gun. There is no sane explanation for why no guns have lights on them or why no flashlight can be attcached to the guns (duct tape, they suggested? )... oh well, it's kind of a dumb complaint because realism isn't exactly a priority here, but I can see why in a game as dark as that it'd be very useful...
Thu, August 5th, 2004   #35
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

They should have allowed it to be used, but the one working flashlight is like, I dunno, glitchy. It occasionally gets low on juice or fizzles out (at preprogrammed moments )... I think that would work very well in both explaining it and enhancing the mood. I know I wouldn't like to be walking along, then suddenly the flashlight gets dim or goes out completely, and then some horrible creature with a million arms and teeth on each finger, which is also the size of an arm, and has a rocket launcher in it's stomach, and also it has mind powers... oh, and wouldn't it be cool if it could breathe fire, oh and spit acid!
Fri, August 6th, 2004   #36
Great Rumbler

Quote:
They should have allowed it to be used, but the one working flashlight is like, I dunno, glitchy. It occasionally gets low on juice or fizzles out (at preprogrammed moments )... I think that would work very well in both explaining it and enhancing the mood. I know I wouldn't like to be walking along, then suddenly the flashlight gets dim or goes out completely, and then some horrible creature with a million arms and teeth on each finger, which is also the size of an arm, and has a rocket launcher in it's stomach, and also it has mind powers... oh, and wouldn't it be cool if it could breathe fire, oh and spit acid!

They've definitely got the wrong people working at id.

Read my web log.
Fri, August 6th, 2004   #37
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Right! ..... Hey are you being sarcastic?

GR: Naaaaaahhh.

DJ: Okay then.
Fri, August 6th, 2004   #38
Great Rumbler

But that monster needs though is chainsaws for fingers and bulldozer legs. And he knees are now chainguns and he shoots plasma bursts out of his eyes.

Read my web log.
Fri, August 6th, 2004   #39
UltraMarioMan
One time pooped in your yard and lied about it

*Waits for Half-Life 2 to come out and show everyone how FPS' should be done*
Fri, August 6th, 2004   #40
OB1
off to parts unknown...

I've been playing more of Doom 3 (when it works) and it's pretty fun. Not a 9.5 like every gaming mag is overrating it, but I suppose when you have not much more than FPS' on the PC you take what you can get. The cheap thrills are getting annoying though.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: