Tendo City:  The Cake Is A Lie!  

Go Back  Tendo City: The Cake Is A Lie! > Tendo City: Residential District > SAVE TENDO CITY

Sat, March 12th, 2005   #1
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon
Default blah blah

Trolling is posting just to get a negative reaction, which is not what I did. I couldn't help saying that in memory of our past debates over the topic...

As for Blizz's artwork, you said that it was good, I guess, but you talked ten times more about how bad it was technically. That sends a strong message: Even if you acknowledge that it's artistically good, you care a lot more about the lacking technical details.
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #2
OB1
off to parts unknown...

It was a debate about technical merit. You are dumb.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #3
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

Ah, I remember now... you were debating technical merit and I was responding by saying 'but the artistic side matters more'. Which is true.
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #4
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Yeah, you were being a moron.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #5
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Everyone who argues with you for more than a minuite appears to be that way in your eyes. Eventually, after dealing with you in some arguement for too long, it might even become true in that case... bad behavior can rub off, after all.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #6
OB1
off to parts unknown...

The thing is, though, that you are a moron. Seriously, guy, it's true.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #7
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

To you it seems that way because you are determined to interpret everything I say in such a manner. That's the only reason.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #8
OB1
off to parts unknown...

That doesn't even make any sense. Thanks for ruining the thread, btw. Now I have to most our posts.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #9
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

In every arguement we get in to you eventually prove that point of mine right.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #10
OB1
off to parts unknown...

*sigh*

You are so dumb and so boring it's no longer amusing for me.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #11
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

You haven't been fun to be around for months now...
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #12
OB1
off to parts unknown...

That really hurts me, coming from you.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #13
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

I'm not alone. It's just that no one else wants to talk to you when you get like this, and for good reason... or they left TC at least in part to get away from you.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #14
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Ah yes, like Stealth. Truly a man of your calibur.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #15
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Stealth is okay once in a while but most of the time he is just as bad as you are...
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #16
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Man, you really do bring me back to elementary school.

OB1: You need some help, ABF.

ABF: No YOU need some help.

OB1: You're just like Stealth, ABF.

ABF: No YOU'RE just like Stealth.

The master of wit, I'll tell ya!
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #17
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

I can't help it if you see your flaws in others and not in yourself.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #18
OB1
off to parts unknown...

You're projecting again.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #19
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Now you're the one repeating what I said...
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #20
OB1
off to parts unknown...

You are so boring.
Sat, March 12th, 2005   #21
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Oh well...

.. isn't is cool that you can have the characters auto-fight battles in Tales of Symphonia? Makes it easy to get gold, just go back to the TV every few minuites to attack that stupid dragon again and you get another 20,000...
Sun, March 13th, 2005   #22
OB1
off to parts unknown...

That is kinda neat. But it shows the pointlessness of that kind of rpg, don't you think? That you can literally keep it on "auto"? What's left to play, then? Pressing the button to go through text?
Sun, March 13th, 2005   #23
deanna
Go ahead and admit it, I'm your favorite...

Send a message via MSN to deanna Send a message via Yahoo to deanna

have you two ever met before in person or anything??
Sun, March 13th, 2005   #24
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Yeah, ABF is actually a four-foot-tall Dutchman by the name of Flaardengasser.
Sun, March 13th, 2005   #25
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Quote:
That is kinda neat. But it shows the pointlessness of that kind of rpg, don't you think? That you can literally keep it on "auto"? What's left to play, then? Pressing the button to go through text?

There's a lot of text. And running around on the world map, of course... that can't be automated... but yes, if you automate the battles it would get a bit boring. Which is why I just did it when I was in the other room and coming back every couple minuites to build up a large amount of gold so I could restore that city. :Needed 400,000. No way am I going to play through all that myself...

This isn't the first console RPG with auto-battle, either... they have auto-battle stuff in all of the Lunar games. I don't use it much, though, because the computers are a bit too free with their spell usage...
Sun, March 13th, 2005   #26
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Barely-games is what I like to call 'em. Not that I mind, really. Sometimes it's nice to just sit back and enjoy some lame videogame dialogue.
Sun, March 13th, 2005   #27
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

... ToS has a pretty fun combat system and a very well told story, though... if it's got a flaw it's that perhaps it's a bit overdramatic with too many plot twists. I mean, seriously, how many does one game need? But it is well-told and realistic. And anyway, in a console-style RPG, the option to automate battles is welcome (that goes for Lunar as well). They always want you to do more fights than are actually fun... but only a few games actually let you get around that with auto-battle. In Lunar you did have to choose 'auto' once the battle started to autofight it, but in ToS you just set all players to Automatic in the menu system and presto, all battles will auto-fight... well, you still need to do the unison attacks (whenever player 1 is near an enemy and the bar is full), but that's all.

On that 'well told and realistic plot' thing.. in console RPGs, it's so funny... they often get these really good, well told stories, good characters, etc, etc... but then they've got these RPG conventions that are so unrealistic and, to me, somewhat hurt the illusion... I mean stuff like how the overworld is an entire planet -- you wrap around the edges. But it's tiny. Far smaller than any planet. At least PC RPGs usually have the decency to just make it one small PART of a much larger world... and going along with that the overworld aspect of the game is horribly unrealistic... scale, number of towns, everything... so this planet has about eight to ten towns, two or three of which will be destroyed before the game ends? Uhh... I know the plot it tells, and the writing, are great, but then there's stuff like that... at least Skies of Arcadia didn't take itsself as seriously. But it definitely has those same issues.
Sun, March 13th, 2005   #28
OB1
off to parts unknown...

I've never played an rpg that had a realistic plot.
Sun, March 13th, 2005   #29
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

It depends on what you call 'realistic'... do you mean like real-world realism or realistic within the rules of the world it creates? Because some definitely have the latter.
Mon, March 14th, 2005   #30
OB1
off to parts unknown...

The former.
Mon, March 14th, 2005   #31
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Well that's silly then... I'd much rather base it on the latter. RPGs based purely on real-world stuff don't seem like they'd be as interesting...
Mon, March 14th, 2005   #32
OB1
off to parts unknown...

I never said it would be.

Well, actually it could be cool, but I still didn't say that. I just said that I'd never seen a realistic RPG.
Mon, March 14th, 2005   #33
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

But in most ways I'd consider a game (or a book, or film!) which creates a world and makes it fully realistic -- realistic events, characterizations, etc -- is 'realistic'. Not quite in the same way, but it's pretty close... and I'd say that given the fact almost no RPGs are real-world-realistic, it makes a lot more sense to assume that that is the kind of 'realism' meant, I think.
Mon, March 14th, 2005   #34
OB1
off to parts unknown...

You need a life.
Mon, March 14th, 2005   #35
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

I like my life just fine.
Mon, March 14th, 2005   #36
OB1
off to parts unknown...

I bet.
Tue, March 22nd, 2005   #37
Smoke
Vault Dweller

Send a message via MSN to Smoke

I just want to say one thing. Good art can make up for bad technology in a game. Good technology cannot make up for bad art.

Art > Tech
Tue, March 22nd, 2005   #38
OB1
off to parts unknown...

Yes. Hell, I probably feel more strongly about that than anyone else here. But that's not what ABF and I were talking about. He would certainly like to think so, though.
Tue, March 22nd, 2005   #39
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

As I've said before, I was talking about that, you were talking about something else...

And I seem to remember something about you not liking Blizz's artwork nearly as much as I (or most Blizz fans and gaming websites) do.
Tue, March 22nd, 2005   #40
Great Rumbler
Tendocity's Resident Accountant and Amateur Writer

Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler

WoW had low-end technical graphics, but a very good art style. Case closed.

Read my web log.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: