Tendo City:  HEY!  You look like a real jerk!  

Go Back  Tendo City: HEY! You look like a real jerk! > Tendo City: Metropolitan District > Ramble City

Thu, April 12th, 2007   #1
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Default Holocaust might offend people? Yes, REALITY sure can be a bummer!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...NEWS&ICL=TOPART

Okay, apparently many teachers are no longer teaching about the holocaust out of fear of offending muslims.

First of all, not all muslims are going to be offended, and second of all, I care about as much about offending the sort of muslim that would be upsetted by this as I would by offending a neo nazi.

Just teach what the evidence shows. Stop caring about people getting offended by that. Now political correctness is an important thing in an enlightened society, but this is the direction of madness. It serves no one to act like all points of view in terms of things that are actually testable and have loads of evidence are somehow equally valid. If one is going to turn school into just a place where all viewpoints are taught instead of just what the evidence shows, what is the point of school at all?
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
Thu, April 12th, 2007   #2
alien space marine
Holy Macaroni

Allot of this is related to Israel and shit , But why not skip that part just read something like Anne frank .
Thu, April 12th, 2007   #3
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

I see what you are saying, but it's because it is much more accurate and informative to read historical text books, which is what school is supposed to provide.
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
Thu, April 12th, 2007   #4
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

Absolutely ridiculous. There is no possible way to justify doing something that stupid... it's like saying "okay, how about we reinforce stereotypes and hatreds by letting people continue to believe them even though we know all of the harm that can do?". Unconscionable.

I know that most school history is not told with complete accuracy -- in every nation, their good points are pushed up and bad ones are under emphasized or ignored -- but that should be minimized as much as possible. History should be about telling the truth, not a twisted version of the truth that lets people feel good about their country so that the government can continue to do things that directly contradict those ideals without as much public pressure to change them... (see: the USA)
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
Thu, April 12th, 2007   #5
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Indeed. We can't just pretend the "viewpoint" that bad things never happened is a valid thing to teach in the face of all evidence. Might as well stop teaching about the moon landing, or that the earth is round, or that germs are the source of some diseases.

The fact is, if you ignore reality, then all your endevors are far more likely to fail than if you learn from it. Or, to put it in the context of a history class, "those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it, and time flows like a river, and also the Mana Fortress". I mean I think that's how it goes.
Thu, April 12th, 2007   #6
Great Rumbler
Tendocity's Resident Accountant and Amateur Writer

Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler

Man, history really is a bummer. Let's take out all those nasty parts about "war" and "attrocities" and "evil dicators" and replace all that with "parties" and "fun stuff" and "Mr. Rogers". That'll fix EVERYTHING!

Read my web log.
Thu, April 12th, 2007   #7
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Let's all go to the castle of make-believe! After all, according to "The Secret" quantum physics proves ideas = reality. Let's ignore the fact that quantum physics in no way indicates that in any way shape or form (it's about the operation of the world of the small, which is certainly not intuitive), and pretend that it is real. Too bad everyone who thinks that still seems to behave as though they still need to obey physics, what with not jumping off of buildings to fly and still eating every day.
Fri, April 13th, 2007   #8
alien space marine
Holy Macaroni

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
Absolutely ridiculous. There is no possible way to justify doing something that stupid... it's like saying "okay, how about we reinforce stereotypes and hatreds by letting people continue to believe them even though we know all of the harm that can do?". Unconscionable.

I know that most school history is not told with complete accuracy -- in every nation, their good points are pushed up and bad ones are under emphasized or ignored -- but that should be minimized as much as possible. History should be about telling the truth, not a twisted version of the truth that lets people feel good about their country so that the government can continue to do things that directly contradict those ideals without as much public pressure to change them... (see: the USA)

Lets be honest its because they are not white if they were children of neo Nazis I doubt the game would played this way , The education system is littered with bias or revisionist PC's even in our side of the world. The most consistent thing is that history is taken hostage for the sake of some minorities sensibilities. whats unusual though in this case is that two minorities are the ones that despise and harbor prejudice against each other , That pretty goes to show the fool hardiness of the belief that only majority oppress or discriminate minorities "especially the white devil".

In m country for the longest Quebec's has the most bias in its education of history because of the sovereigntist movement so their is allot of Franco centric nationalistic themes in it.

One of the greatest stereotypes and myths perpetuated by modern culture and even the education system, Is that aboriginal people lived in a garden of eden and some how man was more enlightened the more primitive he was the more noble he was which is a total fallacy that entomology refutes. Some will not point out the simple fact that warfare had taken place in the Americas long before white Europeans emerged. Aboriginals would work together with other tribes when it was beneficial and not when it waisnt , Like any people they would have their feuds and disputes. The natives abhorrence of waste or taking more then they needed came from experience of ecological disasters so the wise ones within their groups created measures just like today to better manage resources this would be a bigger concern if you were limited to one Island.
Mon, April 16th, 2007   #9
Darunia
His Majesty, Sovereign of the Holy Goron Empire

Send a message via AIM to Darunia

That's it! That's IT! I've HAD it with Iran! I'm throwing down the gauntlet! This radical Islamism has gone FAR ENOUGH!

*Declares formal state of war on Persia*
Mon, April 16th, 2007   #10
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Isn't it more accurate to say your beef is with these teachers?

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: