Tendo City:  The Cake Is A Lie!  

Go Back  Tendo City: The Cake Is A Lie! > Tendo City: Metropolitan District > Tendo City

Sun, July 15th, 2007   #1
Smoke
Vault Dweller

Send a message via MSN to Smoke
After Metroid: Retro's Future

With the release of Metroid Prime 3 less than 2 months away I've been thinking about the future of Retro Studios. Besides a few projects that were canceled early on all that Retro has worked on is the Metroid Prime series since they've been with Nintendo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
It plays better than any first-person console game ever... really. And it's one of Wii's best lookers, too.
Source:E3 2007: Hands-on Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

With comments like these it's obvious that Retro has the controls down with nice graphics to boot. Which brings me to my point. One game type Nintendo's systems have lacked of late is a great multiplayer FPS. The last one was Perfect Dark. I suggest Retro's next game should be a multiplayer FPS using the Metroid Prime 3 engine. It would have MP3's controls and at least as good if not better graphics. It would be built from the ground up for online multiplayer.

This game could be a flagship title for the Wii in a genre that it is sorely lacking. More than that it would be a sign to the core gamers that they have not been abandoned and Nintendo is still interested in creating new traditional games. While it could not compete graphically with the other systems flagship FPS games it could have the best control of any console FPS ever.

Supposing Retro were to make this their next game what type of FPS would you like to see on the Wii? Modern day, Sci-Fi, WWII?

As for myself I would love to see Retro to try their hand at an epic Sci-Fi shooter.
Sun, July 15th, 2007   #2
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Retro could focus on a better multiplayer mode in Metroid Prime 3, but the last game's was more of a tossed in afterthought and from what I'm hearing it seems this game's multiplayer won't be much better. Their focus in this series has always been the single player experience.

Thing is, if they make another game, it'll still have to have a decent single player mode. It sucks when they toss out a game that ONLY has a multiplayer mode in it. Honestly I don't care about the theme. Nintendo's got every single possible theme they could want already. After Wind Waker they obtained "piracy" so that's pretty much it. WW2 has been done to death. I never want to see another WW2 game again as long as I live. Screw setting a game in a real world setting. Fictional worlds all the way. I don't even like it when the planet is named "Earth". One moon? That's it? Well okay... Two would be better, but hey... one's good.

Seriously though, I'm not sure Nintendo can "do" a WW2 game. Here's an idea. Make a Kirby FPS. Hmm... on second thought that might not work very well... ever...

Okay, how about Perfect Da- ...oh... Dangit Nintendo, selling Rare like that. Well, at least Rare has a decent multiplayer network to use now.

Huh, well the thing is, they already are doing shooter, what else can you expect from them at this point? I've seen what they can do. Maybe in a different style but they'd just have to focus on making a decent multiplayer experience. Again, the problem is, the single player might end up entirely hollow.

Here's something to think about. Maybe they don't do multi very well? I do have Metroid Hunters ya know. That game was supposed to be all about multiplayer, the showcase for online play on the DS. It's single player was literally just several matches against bots in various levels, it sucked. The multiplayer wasn't much better, just a slight improvement on the MP2 multi mode. Fun for a bit but no Perfect Dark.

Maybe we should just stick with the party games?
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
Sun, July 15th, 2007   #3
Smoke
Vault Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Jaguar
Retro could focus on a better multiplayer mode in Metroid Prime 3, but the last game's was more of a tossed in afterthought and from what I'm hearing it seems this game's multiplayer won't be much better. Their focus in this series has always been the single player experience.
I wasn't even aware MP3 was going to have a multiplayer mode. I haven't been following the development of the game very closely but I thought I had heard they had scrapped multiplayer.
Quote:
Thing is, if they make another game, it'll still have to have a decent single player mode. It sucks when they toss out a game that ONLY has a multiplayer mode in it.
Of course. I was really imagining something like a Retro Studios version of Halo. Only not Halo. I mean I don't want them to just go and copy Halo but rather create a game with an original Sci-Fi setting but have the same epic feel and scale.
Quote:
Honestly I don't care about the theme.
You say you don't care about the theme but then you go on to say...
Quote:
Nintendo's got every single possible theme they could want already. After Wind Waker they obtained "piracy" so that's pretty much it. WW2 has been done to death. I never want to see another WW2 game again as long as I live. Screw setting a game in a real world setting. Fictional worlds all the way. I don't even like it when the planet is named "Earth". One moon? That's it? Well okay... Two would be better, but hey... one's good.
It seems obvious you want a Sci-Fi or fantasy theme of some kind.
Quote:
Seriously though, I'm not sure Nintendo can "do" a WW2 game. Here's an idea. Make a Kirby FPS. Hmm... on second thought that might not work very well... ever...
Wii's already getting a WWII shooter in Medal of Honor: Vanguard. It even has 32 player online play.
Quote:
Okay, how about Perfect Da- ...oh... Dangit Nintendo, selling Rare like that. Well, at least Rare has a decent multiplayer network to use now.
If only the Rare that created Perfect Dark still existed.
Quote:
Huh, well the thing is, they already are doing shooter, what else can you expect from them at this point?
I don't know, a new game after Metroid Prime 3?
Quote:
I've seen what they can do.
Have you? None of the Metroid Prime games were traditional FPS games. We really haven't seen what they can do outside of the "FPA" sub-genre.
Quote:
Maybe in a different style but they'd just have to focus on making a decent multiplayer experience. Again, the problem is, the single player might end up entirely hollow.
Why do you doubt their skill when they've never attempted anything like what I'm suggesting. Quite the pessimist aren't we. And if they absolutely had to perhaps they could hire some people with more online multiplayer experience.
Quote:
Here's something to think about. Maybe they don't do multi very well? I do have Metroid Hunters ya know. That game was supposed to be all about multiplayer, the showcase for online play on the DS. It's single player was literally just several matches against bots in various levels, it sucked. The multiplayer wasn't much better, just a slight improvement on the MP2 multi mode. Fun for a bit but no Perfect Dark.
Metroid Prime Hunters was developed by NST. A company with a questionable development history. And according to Wikipedia's page on Retro Studios their only involvement with MPH was "involved with art direction and general supervision, though actual development took place at NST".
Quote:
Maybe we should just stick with the party games?
How about no.

I'd say it could help Nintendo shed their kiddy image but I think that's a moot point these days. Really I didn't create this thread to debate whether they should do it or not but rather if they did what kind of game would you want it to be. If Retro were to announce tomorrow that their next game is an online multiplayer FPS what kind of game would you like to see?
Sun, July 15th, 2007   #4
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

A good one? As for theme, they can do whatever, realistic alternate earth, fantasy, sci-fi, or all 3. I don't care what they do except I have a specific request for what they don't do. I don't want to visit the beaches of Normandy. For that matter, Hoth is right out.

That's all I got. As for that WW2 game, that's 3rd party. They do whatever they want.

NST eh? Yeah I remember them. They're the ones that bought the liscense to Crystalis in order to properly BUTCHER it (aside from the added frames of animation, everything they changed or added was the suck).
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
Sun, July 15th, 2007   #5
Smoke
Vault Dweller

Quote:
NST eh? Yeah I remember them. They're the ones that bought the liscense to Crystalis in order to properly BUTCHER it (aside from the added frames of animation, everything they changed or added was the suck).
Yes that's them. And you can thank them for MPH's half-assed multiplayer.

Incidentally they were the one's developing the now canceled Project H.A.M.M.E.R.
Sun, July 15th, 2007   #6
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

The thing is, MPH's multiplayer was a lot better than what we got in Prime 2.
Sun, July 15th, 2007   #7
Great Rumbler
Tendocity's Resident Accountant and Amateur Writer

Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler

I'd like to see Retro tackle an original scifi FPS next. I'm not too concerned about them adding multiplayer to any of their games, but that would be a great way to showcase the Wii's abilities and would draw in quite a few of the more hardcore gamers.

Read my web log.
Sun, July 15th, 2007   #8
lazyfatbum
Sennin

MP3 has multiplayer?

Retro is made up of basically the Turok teams and some others from Acclaim's golden age, remember Raven Blade? That's Retro. They even had a Twisted Metal thing in the works and a football game in the pipeline. They can do more than FPS and yunno they're looking at everything for their next project.

But lets also keep in mind that MP3 is the last in that series... but that doesn't mean we wont be getting another FPA Metroid game from them. It's like when Nintendo announced that all Metroid's are dead, we get Fusion and boom, Metroids oh noes.

Looking at the whole picture we're not getting anything in terms of multiplayer fps from anyone. Though RE:UC's co-op looks awesome. There's nothing in the pipeline, nothing mentioned. Nintendo announces: we made the best fps controls in a console game ever. Well that leads me to believe one of three things.

NCL is making a new IP for first person with heavy multiplayer/online.

Retro studios is making a new IP for blah blah blah.

Third somewhat likely option - Retro is making a Metroid Hunters for Wii, online, 8/16 players, etc.

But then again:

Balance Board - Imagine putting a foot on it during fps deathmatch. apply pressure, your character ducks (Time Crises), slam your foot on it your character pulls off a PDZ-like jump.

could also be used to control vehicles, gas and brake, pitch and yaw (if flying) etc. Imagine you jump in a car like halo's warthog, you can control the acceleration and brake of the vehicle as well as turning, activating a boost, etc all from your feet while you hands can still focus on firing and aiming.

stand on the balance board with both feet while playing. When you duck, your character does so, when you lean, your character does, when you jump, etc. FPSW -- first person shooter workout.

The balance board used with the wiimote could open up levels of VR in a video game that are unheard of and you know it was designed with multiple genres in mind, it could even be bongos or drums, you can sit or stand on it to control lean in games like 1080, waverace, even F-Zero. It could be a buzzer in a gameshow-like game that sits on the table in front of everyone and whoever slaps it first gets to answer the question. Put a pillow on it and hang it on a wall or on a stand for a fighting game or boxing or stand on it to actually dodge the attacks.

I mean the thing is just genius and Nintendo's thought of all of this and more and considered use in shooters as well. Take the strat they have of leveling everyone out so the hardcore and the newbs are on equal playing fields because of the new controls and reinventing genres to put the focus on fun and imagine what kind of fps Nintendo could dream up.

Lastly, Free Radical has gone dark. Not a single mention of anything. Free Radical is made up of ex-Rare employees from the Ge and PD teams (Nintendo's strongest FPS sellers that rivaled everything, I believe Ge and PD combined outsold Halo 1 and 2). Nintendo could be putting Retro on a new track of adventure games (Icarus?) and gobble up Free Radical as a 2nd party to make a new IP FPS w/multiplayer orgasm.

One thing is for sure, everytime Nintendo whispers hardcore people think of FPS and Nini knows its their weakest link currently. If you really liked FPS games would you buy a Wii? Hell no. You'd get a 360 before you can say demographic market analysis. So it's coming, the who what where and how is up for grabs but it's definitely coming.
Sun, July 15th, 2007   #9
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

Quote:
Metroid Prime Hunters was developed by NST. A company with a questionable development history. And according to Wikipedia's page on Retro Studios their only involvement with MPH was "involved with art direction and general supervision, though actual development took place at NST".

NST's not perfect, but they've made some good stuff too... of what I have of theirs...

Bionic Commando: Elite Forces GBC (my second-favorite GBC game ever after Zelda OoA)

Pokemon Puzzle League (quite good, they did Tetris Attack right...)

Wave Race Blue Storm (decent but not as good or original as Wave Race 64)

Metroid Prime Hunters (I only played it in single player, but had fun... you didn't like it? I thought it was fine. More FPS-ish than other Metroid games, but fine...)

Ridge Racer 64 (better than the PSX Ridge Racer games, anyway, if really annoying as an actual game... darn those stupid "you must finish in first to progress" racing games, that's an awful gameplay mechanic...)

Maybe it's because my first NST game was Bionic Commando: Elite Forces and I really, REALLY loved that game, but I don't have a negative opinion of the studio. I did hear mediocre things about 1080 though of course, and as for Crystalis, it got decent reviews... not a game I've ever played though. They also made both Mario vs. DK games, which I haven't played but sound okay... nowhere near as good as DK '94 (the game that inspired them), but okay...

As for Retro, what will they do next? Another Metroid game I bet... it'd be nice to see them do something else, but I'm not going to count on it.
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
Mon, July 16th, 2007   #10
Smoke
Vault Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyfatbum
Lastly, Free Radical has gone dark. Not a single mention of anything. Free Radical is made up of ex-Rare employees from the Ge and PD teams (Nintendo's strongest FPS sellers that rivaled everything, I believe Ge and PD combined outsold Halo 1 and 2). Nintendo could be putting Retro on a new track of adventure games (Icarus?) and gobble up Free Radical as a 2nd party to make a new IP FPS w/multiplayer orgasm.
Actually Free Radical are working on Haze which is PS3 exclusive for the time being.
Fri, August 31st, 2007   #11
Smoke
Vault Dweller

Well what do you know. Retro Studios will take a break from the Metroid Series
Sun, September 2nd, 2007   #12
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

After three games in a row in the series, they probably wanted some time off from it... I wonder what they'll make next. Something great, I'm sure.
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: